PDA

View Full Version : Cigarettes question

J.T.
10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
How long do you have to be off cigarettes to be medically considered a non-smoker. Until recently I had been a pack a day smoker for a little less than a year. Before that and now I just bum a few when I'm out drinking. But I am applying for pharmaceutical research testing that requires the volunteers to be non-smokers. The testing isn't until late in December, so if I lay off the cancer sticks from now until then, will I be ok?

DannyT
10-23-2007, 07:04 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......brb

Whottt.
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
If you can not smoke at least 1/2 the time it took DannyT to give mouse the HD he promised him you will be ok.

exstatic
10-23-2007, 07:15 PM
That's kind of a vague question. What do you mean by medically? The physical addiction is over in 2 weeks, but I think X-Rays take 6 mos to a year show clear for the tar in your lungs.

DannyT
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Whooooa whoooa whoooooa........Mouse gimme your number again....or call me up I am dead serious...I dont have a hard drive for you but you know what it is.....

Sapphire
10-23-2007, 07:20 PM
The nicotine is out of your system in 3 days, and that's the addictive substance, so I would say "medically" it would be 3 days. I bet if you go in there without having smoked in over a month, and they don't smell it on you and you are not jonesing for one, then you will be OK.

bendmz
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
3 years.......

that's about how long your lungs take to re-generate their tissue since you fuck them up by smoking

P.S.
that's provided you haven't fucked them up beyond repair.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2007, 07:27 PM
As far as the testing goes, you'll need to check with the company. They probably have their own research-specific definitions of what being a non-smoker means and how far out you have to be.

As far as the actual health benefits of smoking, after the first six months of quitting the risk of having a heart attack decreases about 60%, and the risk continues to go down until you are about 3 years out. It's estimated that within 2-4 years after quitting, your risk of stroke is about that same as that of nonsmokers.

For lung disease and cancer, stopping also improves your risks, although the degree isn't as clear.

J.T.
10-23-2007, 07:37 PM
The nicotine is out of your system in 3 days, and that's the addictive substance, so I would say "medically" it would be 3 days. I bet if you go in there without having smoked in over a month, and they don't smell it on you and you are not jonesing for one, then you will be OK.

Thanks. I'd assume they wouldn't hold it against people who have quit smoking recently. If not I'm sure there's another clinic looking for smokers to test on.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2007, 07:39 PM
It depends what kind of testing they are doing. If they need normal lung function, then chances are you won't have that after one month.

TheZackAttack!
10-23-2007, 07:59 PM
J.T., ever heard of google...Google it bro.

Tap Dat Ass!
10-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Whooooa whoooa whoooooa........Mouse gimme your number again....or call me up I am dead serious...I dont have a hard drive for you but you know what it is.....

I gave you a mint condition DELL 2800 complete with (mouse,keys,monitor,speakers,and power supply) all factory sealed, with a Print smart photo copier that cost over 300 dollars and, a Fusion GE force video card still in the box on the side, 2 years worth of warranty and a 6 month money back guarantee, since you claim to be ex Military?

And your willing use some cheesy excuse saying you lost my number?

You have been to my trailer.....
your kid jumped up and down on 1,500.00 sofa I still pay Rent a center 60 dollars every two weeks for did you forget?

I also let you use my restroom? I don't even let LJ use my bathroom!
do I really look like NorCal, or did you try and bull shit me?

an old school retired 82nd airborne ST poster?

back on topic............
You will never really be free of tobacco or drugs. ever..... You just need to figure out a way from not passing the drug test, or find a job that does not test you.(NSA)

I would just Move to Canada and say fuck it.................

I hope you give us an update!

:wakeup

DannyT
10-24-2007, 02:27 AM
first off lets get this right....the only thing sealed in that dell was dust...upon opening up the brand new hardly ever used box it looked like your pet roaches and spiders had moved out of your bathroom and into the cpu....the stale stench inside the case smelled worse then that woman you call a wifes PENIS or was that your dog?....you freakin homo....dont you ever talk shit about what the fuck i am or what the fuck i have done...your piece of shit system blew ass as well as smelled of it....but i paid you your money on the spot anyway....all i owe you is for a piece of shit video card that is still in your box....i told your punk ass to call me, your fucking pm box was full and i got lazy and said fuck it...then i tried again and you aint say shit....i got no reason to lie to your dumpster diving, non-working,craigs list shopping,Ron Jeremy wannabe foolish self....i lost my fucking phone. my phone had the pin to your gate and your little bitch ass number....hurry up and find a way for me to give you this money so that i can put you aside....

ps: the piece of shit charity printer is still in my trunk...i will throw it back in the dumpster where you got it from and let you find it again....

Pss: you say another word about my kid and its your dogs ass and then yours!

now drink your fucking coffee and :stfu

Lance
10-24-2007, 02:31 AM
http://www.oldmp.com/hookline.jpg

KEDA
10-24-2007, 07:13 AM
first off lets get this right....the only thing sealed in that dell was dust...upon opening up the brand new hardly ever used box it looked like your pet roaches and spiders had moved out of your bathroom and into the cpu....the stale stench inside the case smelled worse then that woman you call a wifes PENIS or was that your dog?....you freakin homo....dont you ever talk shit about what the fuck i am or what the fuck i have done...your piece of shit system blew ass as well as smelled of it....but i paid you your money on the spot anyway....all i owe you is for a piece of shit video card that is still in your box....i told your punk ass to call me, your fucking pm box was full and i got lazy and said fuck it...then i tried again and you aint say shit....i got no reason to lie to your dumpster diving, non-working,craigs list shopping,Ron Jeremy wannabe foolish self....i lost my fucking phone. my phone had the pin to your gate and your little bitch ass number....hurry up and find a way for me to give you this money so that i can put you aside....

ps: the piece of shit charity printer is still in my trunk...i will throw it back in the dumpster where you got it from and let you find it again....

someone got their thong on backwards this morning

LMAO at DannyT for not understanding the MOUSE comedy!

boutons_
10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
A pack of cigarettes causes stiffness of arteries (stiff arteries = raised blood pressure) for many years. There are probably other ways the poisonous, deleterious effects of cigarettes linger for years after stopping.

thispego
10-24-2007, 10:56 AM
20 minutes After Quitting

Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.

(Effect of Smoking on Arterial Stiffness and Pulse Pressure Amplification, Mahmud, A, Feely, J. 2003. Hypertension:41:183.)

12 hours After Quitting

The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, p. 202)

2 weeks to 3 Months After Quitting

Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp.193, 194,196, 285, 323)

1 to 9 Months After Quitting

Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)

1 Year After Quitting

The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

5 Years After Quitting

Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker 5 to 15 years after quitting.

10 Years After Quitting

The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decreases.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. vi, 131, 148, 152, 155, 164,166)

15 Years After Quitting

The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker's.

DannyT
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
someone got their thong on backwards this morning

LMAO at DannyT for not understanding the MOUSE comedy!

I understand Mouse 100%

thispego
10-24-2007, 11:22 AM

:lmao another satisfied customer???

whottt
10-24-2007, 11:28 AM
I just want someone to explain to me how the oldest person who has ever lived...some French Lady...

She lived to be 121 something years old...she smoked until she was 117(said quitting was the hardest thing she ever did in her life).

How can it be possible?

The Red Wine?

The fact that she rode a bicycle for most of her life?

Fresh sea air(she lived on the coast)?

A diet primarily of fish?

It's kinda ironic don't you think?

Don't get me wrong...I'm a smoker, and I feel the freaking effects of smoking more than I'd like...

At the same time, how can the oldest person who ever lived, have smoked for @ a hundred years?

thispego
10-24-2007, 12:04 PM
hahaha, yeah, i think that was the lady who never inhaled

Taco
10-24-2007, 12:08 PM

I think the nicotine is the key :smokin

as long as you don't have it in your system you should be ok (imo)

MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2007, 12:41 PM

now drink your fucking coffee and :stfu:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

I've seen some hilarious reactions to mouse's antics, but this one takes the gold! :lol

Looks like you caught yourself a big one mouse :toast

MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I just want someone to explain to me how the oldest person who has ever lived...some French Lady...

She lived to be 121 something years old...she smoked until she was 117(said quitting was the hardest thing she ever did in her life).

How can it be possible?

The Red Wine?

The fact that she rode a bicycle for most of her life?

Fresh sea air(she lived on the coast)?

A diet primarily of fish?

It's kinda ironic don't you think?

Don't get me wrong...I'm a smoker, and I feel the freaking effects of smoking more than I'd like...

At the same time, how can the oldest person who ever lived, have smoked for @ a hundred years?Good genes I guess? My great grandmother lived to be 106. Smoked all her life. Her daughter, my grandmother, is currently 98, she's also smoked all her life. On the other hand my grandfather, who smoked all his life as well, died when he was 68 of lung cancer

MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
:lmao I'm sorry, I just can't stop laughing at DannyT threatening mouse's dog :lmao

Zombie Terri Schiavo
10-24-2007, 12:58 PM
If I can quite drinking you can quit smoking

Mulchie
10-24-2007, 12:59 PM
I wish I could stop smoking!

Whottt.
10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

I've seen some hilarious reactions to mouse's antics, but this one takes the gold! :lol

Looks like you caught yourself a big one mouse :toast

Can I change my vote on the best ST meltdowns? :lmao

mouse
10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
the stale stench inside the case smelled worse then that woman you call a wife

I will admit I could never get that curry powder smell out of the tower and I tried everything. That is the last time I buy another PC from USAA employee

As for the original topic, don't try and quit cold turkey you will suffer. use the patches and gum. Your body will go through a flu like stage and you will develop strange habits and behaviors if your not careful. It's almost like quitting heroin, good luck!

Viva Las Espuelas
10-24-2007, 01:10 PM

now drink your fucking coffee and :stfu"calmer than you are, dude."

DannyT
10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
[b]I will admit I could never get that curry powder smell out of the tower and I tried everything. That is the last time I buy another PC from USAA employee

Look Dude all you had to do was clean that bad boy out atleast before you sell the damn thing...I am seriously willing to get you your money bro...Just PM your number and we will call this done. PM me tonight please!

Also on the topic my wife has just started quiting using a pill called clavix I believe. But the military wont keep providing the pill if she still has a certain amount of tobacco in her system. So its post to be a certain amout one week and decrease from their on out....I think its a breathilizer type test also...to see how much Co2 you have or some shit...I dont know...but mouse is right dont go cold turkey...Its a winging off process...

SpursWoman
10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Also on the topic my wife has just started quiting using a pill called clavix I believe.

It's Chantix ... I took it for about 7 weeks and haven't smoked in 93 days, and pretty happy about that. And happy $475 or so that I've saved. :spin

DannyT
10-24-2007, 04:35 PM
thats exactly what she is on....thanks for correcting me....doesnt it make you sick and queezy....but more importantly if she can stick with this it will not only save us that money like you have but also at the same time save us the threat of having throat cancer and placing a fucking hole in her neck in 35 years.....its the best thing and shes truely excited about it.....and I was really tired of bitching about it too....

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Look Dude all you had to do was clean that bad boy out atleast before you sell the damn thing...I am seriously willing to get you your money bro...Just PM your number and we will call this done. PM me tonight please!

Also on the topic my wife has just started quiting using a pill called clavix I believe. But the military wont keep providing the pill if she still has a certain amount of tobacco in her system. So its post to be a certain amout one week and decrease from their on out....I think its a breathilizer type test also...to see how much Co2 you have or some shit...I dont know...but mouse is right dont go cold turkey...Its a winging off process...
are you for real?

SpursWoman
10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
thats exactly what she is on....thanks for correcting me....doesnt it make you sick and queezy....but more importantly if she can stick with this it will not only save us that money like you have but also at the same time save us the threat of having throat cancer and placing a fucking hole in her neck in 35 years.....its the best thing and shes truely excited about it.....and I was really tired of bitching about it too....

Big time nausea and violent, vivid dreams ... yeah, that sounds about right. Unfortunately, I could only curb the nausea with food ... so now I have the extra padding to conquer. :fro

It worked fantastic for me ... I've been completely off for 3 months and rarely have any kind of cravings, and none that aren't manageable. Good luck to her. :)

DannyT
10-24-2007, 04:58 PM
yeah same for her....but they told her in the class that it was expected to have weight gain so we just tackle one at a time....

DannyT
10-24-2007, 04:59 PM
are you for real?

you got the point didnt you lil' ho

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
misspellings i can tolerate

you used different words that sound like the word you wanted. thats just funny.

DannyT
10-24-2007, 05:33 PM
post is always what I have typed post in stead of supposed...sorry didnt mean to offend you and yes i typed their in stead of there forgive me but you still got the point of it....just mark my paper from now on and send me the grade....thanks

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 05:43 PM
you pay me for tutoring? :tu

DannyT
10-24-2007, 05:47 PM
you pay me for tutoring? :tu

depens on wat the charges bee

mouse
10-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Don't sweat it brah! I was just teasing you I had no idea you would blow a gasket. I thought by you being in the military you could handle a little interrogation. I hope you don't know any top secret information cause the enemy doesn't have to do much to get it out of you. :lmao

But if I look outside tonight and see an 18 pack?
I will assume it was you who left it. I also have another video card if you want to trade the other one back in. This one is different.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_6600_gt_agp/images/06.jpg

As for the kicking the Cigarettes, I hope we get updates on how it's going.

ST supports you every step of the way. :smokin

sorry wrong smiley. :toast

DannyT
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
just the ending i wanted to all of this mousey....i need your number so that i can call you when i get to the gate homeboy

mouse
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
If meeting you at the gate means an end to our friendship then I will not meet you at the gate you will have to be my friend for life. (cue in the We are Marshall sound track!)

DannyT
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
If meeting you at the gate means an end to our friendship then I will not meet you at the gate you will have to be my friend for life. (cue in the We are Marshall sound track!)

hahaaaaa

yous a clown.....i want you to fuckin call me fuck face...i tried to pm you my number 30 mins ago but you shit is still full of shit like my dell was....pm me your number

Mavs08
10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
(cue in the We are Marshall sound track!)

After reading the man love you to have for each other wouldn't this sound track be better?........................

:lmao
http://www.also.org.au/participate/events/images/BrokeBackMountainslarge.jpg

Sapphire
10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
hahaaaaa

yous a clown.....i want you to fuckin call me fuck face...i tried to pm you my number 30 mins ago but you shit is still full of shit like my dell was....pm me your number
He posts his number in like every 7th thread. Hell, I think I even know it. :lol

marini martini
10-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I know, I've got it.............Mouse's # that is :lol

Mavs08
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Do a search on PC for sell! :lmao

I hope this topic is legit i want to stop smoking also. Is there a stop doing drugs/beer/ cigs forum?

DannyT
10-24-2007, 09:22 PM
I was going to tell you all to PM me the number but I got what I need now....

Sapphire
10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
I was going to tell you all to PM me the number but I got what I need now....
:lol