PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: GMs think Spurs will win it all

Solid D
10-24-2007, 06:06 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA102407.03C.BKNspurs.notebook.385e5bb.html

Web Posted: 10/23/2007 11:52 PM CDT

Mike Monroe
Express-News

The NBA's general managers have picked the Spurs to repeat as league champions.
In an NBA.com poll, 37 percent of GMs who responded to the poll say the Spurs will win the 2008 title.

It was the fourth consecutive year in which the Spurs were picked by the GMs to win the Lawrence O'Brien Trophy. The Spurs won the championship in 2005 and 2007, so they were correct twice.

However, the GMs picked the Dallas Mavericks to win the regular season Southwest Division title instead of the Spurs.

The survey did not reveal how many of the league's 30 GMs responded to their annual survey.

The GMs predicted Cleveland's LeBron James would win the 2008 MVP Trophy. Tim Duncan was their second choice to take home the award.

Curiously, Duncan was selected both the best center (48 percent of the vote) and the best power forward (also 48 percent). Phoenix's Steve Nash was selected as the best point guard, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant the best shooting guard and James the best small forward.

The general managers named Spurs small forward Bruce Bowen the best defender and Gregg Popovich the best head coach.

Former UT star Kevin Durant, now with the Seattle SuperSonics, was picked as most likely to win Rookie of the Year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warm welcome back: Of all the Spurs, the player with the largest cheering section Tuesday night at Miami's AmericanAirlines Arena was Darius Washington?

Washington, a free-agent signee vying for the Spurs' final roster spot, grew up in Orlando, which led to a mad dash for tickets for friends and family.

Washington eventually procured the 12 tickets he needed thanks to the generosity of his teammates. Eighty minutes before tipoff, he was still stuffing them into envelopes.

"Nobody else was using theirs," Washington said. "I kind of fell into a good situation."

Washington's traveling party will follow the Spurs to Orlando on Thursday, when they face the Magic.

Back on the bench: Popovich returned to the bench after letting assistant Mike Budenholzer run the show in each of the Spurs' previous two games.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff writer Jeff McDonald contributed to this report.

nfg3
10-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Nice to see that half of the GMs favor the Spurs but perseason predictions are meaningless. I believe that we are in a very good position to repeat but as everyone knows it is difficult o win one title much less defend it (and it's an even year, too).
I do agree that Dallas should be favored to win the division since Pop is more concerned with molding a team and positioning it for the playoffs rather than focusing primarily on winning the division. No saying that he wouldn't take it but it is secondary to getting the team into playoff shape.

Bring it on!

whottt
10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
It sucks when the Spurs are the preseason favorites....

Spurminator
10-24-2007, 10:25 AM
It sucks when the Spurs are the preseason favorites....

I think we can still fly under the radar, though. GMs are running NBA teams, but they're not running sports shows on TV and radio. Phoenix and Boston, along with Kobe and LeBron, will probably have most people's attention starting off and I fully expect to see numerous "Why isn't anyone talking about the Spurs?" pieces starting in January.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2007, 10:54 AM
The Spurs will probably fall off of everyone's radar by Christmas time with a couple of seemingly inexplicable losses and a record that befuddles all who thought they had a chance to repeat.

This is, however, the 4th consecutive year that the Spurs have been the GMs' choice to win the title:

2002-03
1. LAL -- 61.5% (lost WCSF)
2. SAC -- 30.8% (lost WCSF)
3. SA -- 3.8% (won NBA Finals)
4. WAS -- 3.8% (finished 37-45; DNQ)

Champion: San Antonio

2003-04
1. LAL -- 52.4% (lost NBA Finals)
2. SA -- 23.8% (lost WCSF)
3. SAC -- 9.5% (lost WCSF)
4. NJN -- rec'd vote (lost ECSF)
5. DAL -- rec'd vote (lost WC First Round)
6. MIA -- rec'd vote (lost ECSF)

Champion: Detroit

2004-05
1. SA -- 45.2% (won NBA Finals)
2. DET -- 33.3% (lost NBA Finals)
3. MIN -- 9.5%(44-38; DNQ)
4. IND -- 7.1%(lost ECSF)
5. MIA -- 4.8% (lost ECF)

2005-06
1. SA -- 76.9% (lost WCSF)
2. MIA -- 15.4% (won NBA Finals)
3. DET -- rec'd vote (lost ECF)
4. MIN -- rec'd vote (33-49; DNQ)

Champion: Miami

2006-07
1. SA -- 42.9% (won NBA Finals)
2. DAL -- 28.6% (lost WC First Round)
3. MIA -- 14.3% (lost EC First Round)
4. MIN -- rec'd vote (32-50; DNQ)
5. PNX -- rec'd vote (lost WCSF)
6. ORL -- rec'd vote (lost EC First Round)

MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Isn't that like the first thing they teach in GM school now a days?

Its like:

"First thing's first, when asked who will win this year, IMMEDIATELY say Spurs! This works for two reasons: First, you eliminate undue pressure on your team by placing the responsibility of winning squarely on the Spurs; and secondly, chances are they will, so either way you're covered"

Solid D
10-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Curiously, Duncan was selected both the best center (48 percent of the vote) and the best power forward (also 48 percent).

...but I thought Tim was a Power Forward?

MaNuMaNiAc
10-24-2007, 12:16 PM
...but I thought Tim was a Power Forward?I guess we're not the only ones confused...

Jimcs50
10-24-2007, 12:23 PM
The GMs are batting .400 in their preseason picks.....hopefully they will get it up to .500 this next season.

:)

duncan228
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Curiously, Duncan was selected both the best center (48 percent of the vote) and the best power forward (also 48 percent).

:dizzy

I can't make heads or tails of this anymore.
I actually gave it a lot of thought these past few days with the conversations here on ST.
Now this.

I give.
I'm going to keep it real simple for myself.
I'll call him a Power Forward because that's what I've understood he wants to be called.

I'll continue to be amazed at his incredible game.
I'll continue to consider it an honor to watch him play.

Someone else can figure out what he really does and give it a name.

To me, he's simply the best.

Rummpd
10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
A player, i.e. TD is the best at two positions in the NBA and has + 4 the titles of a certain young man whose team his team swept in the finals. Why should he finish 2nd to James??

medstudent
10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Dollar Signs

SenorSpur
10-24-2007, 12:52 PM
If Tim is recognized by GMs as the best PF and Bowen is recognized as the best defender, you would think this would translate into a bit more hardware for both (i.e. league MVP for Duncan and DPOY for Bowen)

To wit:
Will TD win another League MVP?
Will Bowen win this award before he retires or before his defensive skills diminish?

duncan228
10-24-2007, 12:53 PM
A player is the best at two positions in the NBA and has 4X the titles of a certain young man whose team his team swept in the finals. Why should he finish 2nd to James??

We all know why.

Duncan won't play the minutes during the regular season.
His game isn't flashy, he doesn't make highlight reels.
His numbers will be his usual, dependable numbers, but he won't stand out.

I don't have a problem if he never takes another regular season MVP.
He's got 2, back-to-back.
I'd prefer he stay as rested and healthy as he can through the grind of the 82 games. He still anchors this team. It's a long season.

When we need him in April, he'll be ready, he always is.
I want a repeat, I'd be really thrilled if he could add another Finals MVP to his resume.

duncan228
10-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Will Bowen win this award before he retires or before his defensive skills diminish?

I sure hope so.
Bowen has earned this award, he's been overlooked for this award.
He deserves it. It's what he does and he's proven to be the best at it many years already.

barbacoataco
10-24-2007, 01:02 PM
The DPOY award often goes to someone who was actually the best defender 2-3 years ago, so Bowen would be a fitting choice. Although Bowen has lost a step, IMO he is still the best perimeter defender in the NBA. Either Bowen or Duncan should have won the DPOY last year.

T Park
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Although Bowen has lost a step,

sure looked good against Nash and Lebron for being a 'step slow"

duncan228
10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
sure looked good against Nash and Lebron for being a 'step slow"

To say the least, especially against LeBron.
Bowen was incredible in the Finals.

Johnny RIngo
10-24-2007, 02:18 PM
The DPOY award often goes to someone who was actually the best defender 2-3 years ago, so Bowen would be a fitting choice. Although Bowen has lost a step, IMO he is still the best perimeter defender in the NBA. Either Bowen or Duncan should have won the DPOY last year.

The DPOY more than often goes to a big. Considering Bowen's negative reputation Duncan probably has a better chance of winning it.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Actually, the award almost annually goes to whichever big man has the best combination of blocked shots and rebounds. Artest a couple of years ago was an exception, but the national media who vote on that award, in general, look for numbers to quantify their selection and block/rebound numbers tend to be impressive. What's always been remarkable to me about that is that the people who vote based on stats seem to be the very writers who exit the Finals every other year singing the praises of Bruce Bowen and proclaiming Tim Duncan's utter dominance on both ends. Somehow, 10 months later, when it comes time to vote, they forget all about those accomplishments and revert right back to voting for the Marcus Camby's of the world as DPOY.

I'd think the chances that either Tim or Bruce wins DPOY are slim in 2007-08. I'd hope that Bruce's stellar playoff performance would carry a little bit of clout and that some of the more influential voices in the media, like Marc Stein and Ric Bucher, would beat the Bowen drum more regularly as awards time approaches (assuming that Bruce has something resembling his typical year). But I'm far too cynical now to believe that will actually happen.

whottt
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
but the national media who vote

Huge problem #1 right there...

As opposed to the All NBA D teams which are voted on by the coaches I believe...if you are going by who gets the most ALL NBA D team votes as the true award, since they are voted on by those most knowledgable about the game...I think Bruce is a multiple time winner of the true DPOY award.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Huge problem #1 right there...

As opposed to the All NBA D teams which are voted on by the coaches I believe...if you are going by who gets the most ALL NBA D team votes as the true award, since they are voted on by those most knowledgable about the game...I think Bruce is a multiple time winner of the true DPOY award.

Yeah, I think that's why you annually see the difference in Bowen finishing in the top 5 in DPOY voting but almost always finishing with the most votes for the All-Defense team.

wildbill2u
10-24-2007, 03:43 PM
:dizzy

I give.
I'm going to keep it real simple for myself.
I'll call him a Power Forward because that's what I've understood he wants to be called.

Someone else can figure out what he really does and give it a name.
Call him the 800 lb. Gorilla. He plays whereever he wants to.

Spurs Brazil
10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/preview2007/gmsurvey_defense.html

GM Survey: Defense

Who is the best defensive player in the NBA?
1. Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 38.5%
2. Tim Duncan, San Antonio 28.8%
3. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 9.6%
4. Ben Wallace, Chicago 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Ron Artest, Sacramento: Raja Bell, Phoenix; Marcus Camby, Denver; Dikembe Mutombo, Houston
Last year's pick: Ben Wallace

Who is the best perimeter defender in the NBA?
1. Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 53.8%
2. Ron Artest, Sacramento 23.1%
3. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 19.2%
4. Raja Bell, Phoenix 3.8%
Last year's pick: Bruce Bowen

Who is the best interior defender in the NBA?
1. Tim Duncan, San Antonio 46.2%
2. Marcus Camby, Denver 15.4%
Ben Wallace, Chicago 15.4%
Others receiving votes: Tyson Chandler, New Orleans; Kevin Garnett, Boston; Dwight Howard, Orlando; Alonzo Mourning, Miami; Dikembe Mutombo, Houston; Rasheed Wallace, Detroit
Last year's pick: Ben Wallace

Who is the best on-the-ball defender in the NBA?
1. Bruce Bowen, San Antonio 46.2%
2. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers 23.1%
3. Ron Artest, Sacramento 7.7%
Kyle Lowry, Memphis 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Chauncey Billups, Detroit; Luol Deng, Chicago; Devin Harris, Dallas; Kirk Hinrich, Chicago
Last year's pick: N/A

Spurs Brazil
10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/preview2007/gmsurvey_coaches.html

GM Survey: Top Coaches

Gregg Popovich Who is the best head coach in the NBA?
1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 73.1%
2. Jerry Sloan, Utah 15.4%
Others receiving votes: Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix; Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers; Scott Skiles, Chicago
Last year's pick: Pat Riley

Which head coach is the best manager/motivator of people?
1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 36.5%
2. Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers 15.4%
Pat Riley, Miami 15.4%
4. Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix 9.6%
5. Don Nelson, Golden State 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Mike Brown, Cleveland; Avery Johnson, Dallas; Byron Scott, New Orleans; Jerry Sloan, Utah

Which head coach makes the best in-game adjustments?
1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 26.9%
2. Don Nelson, Golden State 19.2%
Scott Skiles, Chicago 19.2%
4. Jerry Sloan, Utah 11.5%
5. Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers 7.7%
Pat Riley, Miami 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix; Lawrence Frank, New Jersey
Last year's pick: Gregg Popovich

Which head coach is the best in the last two minutes of a close game?
1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 34.6%
2. Pat Riley, Miami 15.4%
3. Don Nelson, Golden State 11.5%
Scott Skiles, Chicago 11.5%
5. Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers 7.7%
Jerry Sloan, Utah 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Rick Adelman, Houston; Eddie Jordan, Washington; George Karl, Denver

Mike D'Antoni Which coach runs the best offense?
1. Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix 73.1%
2. Jerry Sloan, Utah 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Rick Adelman, Houston; Don Nelson, Golden State; Pat Riley, Miami; Flip Saunders, Detroit; Scott Skiles, Chicago

Which coach has the best defensive schemes?
1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 65.4%
3. Scott Skiles, Chicago 11.5%
Others receiving votes: Mike Brown, Cleveland; Pat Riley, Miami

Who is the best assistant coach in the NBA?
1. Phil Johnson, Utah 26.9%
2. Tim Grgurich, Denver 11.5%
3. Hank Egan, Cleveland 7.7%
Del Harris 7.7%
Terry Porter, Detroit 7.7%
Tom Thibodeau, Boston 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Ron Adams, Chicago; Dean Demopoulos, Portland; Chip Engelland, San Antonio; Armond Hill, Boston; Brian Hill, New Jersey; Kim Hughes, L.A. Clippers; John Kuester, Cleveland; Chuck Person, Sacramento
Last year's pick: Del Harris

Which active player will make the best head coach someday?
1. Eric Snow, Cleveland 34.6%
2. Steve Nash, Phoenix 11.5%
3. Darrell Armstrong, New Jersey 7.7%
Raja Bell, Phoenix 7.7%
Sam Cassell, L.A. Clippers 7.7%
Derek Fisher, L.A. Lakers 7.7%
Others receiving votes: Shane Battier, Houston; Bruce Bowen, San Antonio; Jason Kidd, New Jersey; Jacque Vaughn, San Antonio; Luke Walton, L.A. Lakers; Deron Williams, Utah
Last year's pick: Steve Nash

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Jacque Vaughn prob would make a great coach.

Gregg Popovich Who is the best head coach in the NBA?
1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio 73.1%
Others receiving votes: Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix; Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers; Scott Skiles, Chicago

I see who Steve Kerr voted for :rolleyes