PDA

View Full Version : Great BDAY GIFT-IM TOTALLY FUCKED

3rdCoast
12-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Yea todays my bday and everything is cool til I get a phone call from my old bank. Apparently the 1500 that they mixed up into my account a few months back(which I spent) is now 2500 and they want me to pay it.Damnit to hell, I am fucked.

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2004, 05:56 PM
hmmm...

If it really was the banks fault and you don't want to pay it back just say no...tell them you just plain don't have the money and don't intend to pay...I know $1500-$2500 sounds like a lot to you but they would burn that much in no time if they hired attorneys to take you to civil court...and they probably wouldn't do that if they thought they would get a judgement that was uncollectable...they might harrass the shit out of you or turn it over to one of those scumbag collection agencys but chances are they would just write it off eventually...

3rdCoast
12-20-2004, 05:58 PM
I took some shitty advice from a bunch of people when this thing first happened and they said that after a few days if the bank didnt fix their error then the money is legally mine. Well me, being the idiot that i am, listened to them and periodically withdrew the cash until there was only a few bucks left in it. Now, they want me to pay that shit back. Fuck dude, I knew I should not have touched that shit.

ALVAREZ6
12-20-2004, 06:08 PM
banks are gay

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Oh you definitely took their money. You should consult an attorney but from what you said I don't think you actually did anything criminal so they would have to come after you in civil court..The real question is if it is worth their time and money to try to make you pay it back...It would cost them probably $10,000 in legal fees (at $150-$200 hr.) just doing all the preliminary filings...and this doesn't include actually going to court...keep telling them you don't have the money to pay them back and they may just let it go...

maxpower
12-20-2004, 06:15 PM
out of curiousity why is it now $2500?

3rdCoast
12-20-2004, 06:21 PM
On the first statment I recieved when the error started, there was a transaction of 2500 being deposited then 1000 being withdrew the same day. I NEVER took out the first 1000. I did take the other 1500 tho.

jalbre6
12-20-2004, 06:23 PM
hey tx3, you said it was your OLD bank. That means whatever money you got right now isn't in the bank you owe 2500 to, right?

No problem.

Having a closed account witha negative balance will affect your credit, but they're not going to put a warrant out for your arrest or garnish your paycheck right now. At the most they'll call and harass you once a week and then send some collection agency after you, eventually offering to settle for around 55-60% of the money you owe. If you avoid them long enough, they'll just write you off instead of trying to pursue you further.

3rdCoast
12-20-2004, 06:25 PM
I suppose the account is still active tho. I went to close the account like a month or two before they sent me the first statement saying my account had money in it.

timvp
12-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Happy B-Dizzy.

F da hatas. You da big dawg now.

:smokin

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2004, 06:26 PM
hehehe

I really AM amazed sometimes at the shit that gets confessed in here. Stuff gets told to strangers that people wouldn't confess to their best friend...

3rdCoast
12-20-2004, 06:31 PM
true. But in my case with this I will tell anyone and everyone. Man, fuck banks dude. What did they expect? Someone basically gives me 1500 and im not suspossed to spend it, fuck that, i got bills.

Well, I suppose I learned a lesson here. Be honest and dont fucking take whats not yours. Damn, I hope I get a lot of cash for xmas.

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2004, 06:36 PM
actually we gave you good advise. If you don't want to pay it back then don't...the bank will more than likely give up eventually...

3rdCoast
12-20-2004, 06:37 PM
I guess I will soon find out, as I doubt I will have an extra 1500 anytime soon.

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2004, 06:38 PM
unfortunately I speak from experience here as the creditor...the first thing an attorney is gonna ask the bank is if we go to all this time and money to get a judgement, will you be able to collect it?...if you don't have the money then they more than likely won't go to the time and expense of trying to collect it...

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2004, 06:39 PM
well...try to have a good birthday anyway....

jalbre6
12-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Disclaimer: Screwing banks are bad. Don't do it.

I think some variation of your situation happens to quite a few people. I used to have direct deposit with an old employer and once they put three deposits, each around $1500, in my account at Frost. I waited three or four days, even called the bank once (but not my employer, obviously) and the money was still there. Considering I had a balance of less than $100 before the deposit hit, I went wild. Spent beaucoup cash at Cedar Street and Fado's in Austin, threw a big party at my apartment, et cetera. Funny enough, I quit that job when a position working for my old roommate came up less than two weeks later. Right after that without telling me, the bank yanked $3000 out of my account and credited my old employer, when I had less than $1000 in it. So I was in the red for like $2300 bucks and I was freaking out. When I called the bank it went from speaking with a nice person using their first name to a scary Mr. Somebody asking what plans I had to return their money. So I opened a new account at another bank before they could find out I was a bad customer and avoided Frost like the plague. They sent letters after me and called for a while, then went away. It never even showed up on my credit report.

SpursWoman
12-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Well, anyway...I hope you get it all worked out with minimal damage and have a

http://www.toons.artie.com/alphabet/words/20001121/arg-happy-birthday-bluebg-url.gif

anyway. :)

ZStomp
12-20-2004, 08:40 PM
I just read the thread over at SR and it was JasonR who gave you that advise right?

PM him...see what he has to say.

This must suck......it's easy to Monday Morning Quarterback.....but I would have definately called the bank when it happened. I too have bills but I would hate someone to come back a few months later and ask for it back and I don't have it.

Guru of Nothing
12-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Seems to me you have two choices: Offer to pay the money back, or tell the banks to fuck off.

Pick your poison.

Just so you know, nobody employed by the bank will be out $1500, should you choose not to pay. Your $1500 spree will shared by everyone else who banks where you once did.

manustarting2gd
12-20-2004, 10:59 PM
In my anti-government mindset I want to say Fuck em' , the bank fucked up.. But, realistically.. I know some pre-paid legal law firm that will help you out for 20 bucks a month..letters,representation, counsel... etc... let me know and Ill get the number and more details.. in the meantime, drink your sorrows away mayne! Damn too bad you dont have 1500 in vbookie to use! :smokin :drunk :drunk :smokin :fro :lol

Guru of Nothing
12-20-2004, 11:43 PM
.. I know some pre-paid legal law firm that will help you out for 20 bucks a month..letters,representation, counsel... etc... let me know and Ill get the number and more details..

Surely this firm has a name (or names). Share it with us.

AlamoSpursFan
12-21-2004, 12:11 AM
A former co-worker used to harass me all the time trying to get me to buy into some scammish Amway-sounding thing that I believe was in fact called "Pre-paid Legal".

manustarting2gd
12-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Actually, I dont use it myself but a buddy of mine uses it. I dont know it offhand, but, I'll update this board tommorrow after talking to him with the name and contact info.

Drachen
12-21-2004, 12:46 PM
They will put a collections account on your credit report. This will stay there for 5 to 7 years.

Yonivore
12-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Let your conscience be your guide...

Clandestino
12-21-2004, 01:04 PM
move to mexico and come back in 5-7 years... OLE!

MannyIsGod
12-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Disclaimer: Screwing banks are bad. Don't do it.

I think some variation of your situation happens to quite a few people. I used to have direct deposit with an old employer and once they put three deposits, each around $1500, in my account at Frost. I waited three or four days, even called the bank once (but not my employer, obviously) and the money was still there. Considering I had a balance of less than $100 before the deposit hit, I went wild. Spent beaucoup cash at Cedar Street and Fado's in Austin, threw a big party at my apartment, et cetera. Funny enough, I quit that job when a position working for my old roommate came up less than two weeks later. Right after that without telling me, the bank yanked $3000 out of my account and credited my old employer, when I had less than $1000 in it. So I was in the red for like $2300 bucks and I was freaking out. When I called the bank it went from speaking with a nice person using their first name to a scary Mr. Somebody asking what plans I had to return their money. So I opened a new account at another bank before they could find out I was a bad customer and avoided Frost like the plague. They sent letters after me and called for a while, then went away. It never even showed up on my credit report.

Make sure you open up a new account now like he did and you'll be ok. It won't show up on your credit report but it will be reported to banking agencys like efunds and chex.

Yonivore
12-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Funny how you people seem to overlook the fact that it is because of "scams" like this we all pay higher fees and receive lower dividends from our banking institutions.

It is real money that didn't belong to you. It didn't belong to the bank either.

pseudofan
12-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Simple sir,

The shit wasn't yours.

You knew that shit wasn't yours.

You spent it.

Now the people it belongs to want it back.

So give it up now.

I work at a financial institution and I'll tell you what. I would take that right out of your account, put you in the negative and report you all in the same day. Then I would call you and ask you what kind of payment arrangements you'd like to make. If your answer is none. So be it. You from that point forward would not be able to open a checking somewhere else until you clear up the negative balance with us.

Happy Banking! Hope you enjoy your new savings only account!

I hate to pass judgement, but working with this stuff all day long only makes me want to call you a loser. You knew it wasn't yours and you knew the right answer to your original question. Which is why you consulted others to try to pursuade you to do what you knew was wrong. When asking people what you should do, why didn't you ask a banking official or an attorney? Oh, I know.....BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WANT THE RIGHT ANSWER. You wanted validation on the WRONG answer.......

:rolleyes

manustarting2gd
12-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Hey 3rdcoast, like I said before.. a buddy of mine named Mike Martinez can set you up with the pre-paid legal law firm Ross and Matthews based out of Dallas . Ill PM you his number to see if there is anything they might be able to do for you.

ZStomp
12-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Simple sir,

The shit wasn't yours.

You spent it.

So give it up now.

I work at a financial institution and I'll tell you what. I would take that right out of your account, put you in the negative and report you all in the same day. Then I would call you and ask you what kind of payment arrangements you'd like to make. If your answer is none. So be it. You from that point forward would not be able to open a checking somewhere else until you clear up the negative balance with us.

I hate to pass judgement, but working with this stuff all day long only makes me want to call you a loser. You knew it wasn't yours and you knew the right answer to your original question. Which is why you consulted others to try to pursuade you to do what you knew was wrong. When asking people what you should do, why didn't you ask a banking official or an attorney? Oh, I know.....BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T WANT THE RIGHT ANSWER. You wanted validation on the WRONG answer.......

:rolleyes

YIKES!!

manustarting2gd
12-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Can you say "this bitch thinks all the money in the bank is her money?" lol

jalbre6
12-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Simple sir,

The shit wasn't yours.

You spent it.

So give it up now.

This is exactly the type of person you're going to be dealing with when you try to work something out with the bank, so be warned. Remember, they have a right to be like this because they see your situation as you taking their money, not a bank error occuring on your behalf like you drew a chance card in Monopoly. Good luck with whatever you plan on doing.

T Park
12-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Be honest and dont fucking take whats not yours.

Sounds like something your told when your a child.

But I digress.

SpursWoman
12-21-2004, 07:18 PM
This is exactly the type of person you're going to be dealing with when you try to work something out with the bank, so be warned.

But is she wrong? He spent money that he was 100% certain didn't belong to him....and it obviously belonged to someone who'd be looking for it. No matter how tempting it might have been, I'd have called the bank anyway because I know for a fact I don't have that kind of luck. They'd find me, too. :fro

3rdCoast
12-21-2004, 07:26 PM
thats the way the cookie crumbles

jalbre6
12-21-2004, 07:28 PM
No, she isn't wrong. All I was saying was don't expect someone sympathetic to this situation to be helping out.

I admire all of you that say they would call the bank immediately. Right now, I would too. But when I was 20-21 years old and I'd never had over a $1500 balance in my life, bills past due living in a shithole apartment, working for tips and going to school, I spent the money when this happened to me. I'm not saying it is right or anything.

ZStomp
12-21-2004, 07:51 PM
But is she wrong? He spent money that he was 100% certain didn't belong to him....and it obviously belonged to someone who'd be looking for it. No matter how tempting it might have been, I'd have called the bank anyway because I know for a fact I don't have that kind of luck. They'd find me, too.

It really is easy for us to Monday Morning Quarterback....if it seems that way. But you're right SW. Maybe they won't be as rude...:lol But I, too, would have definately called the bank....