PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio Upgrade

ATRAIN
10-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Ok so I am planning to upgrade the Audio on my 03 Tahoe. I was going to put the following in....

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=530&i=236CYTT45B&c=3&tp=113

Front Speakers

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=172446&c=1

Back Speakers

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=172444&c=1

I already have the amp that is going to be used, its a 900w 4 channel Rockford Fosgate Punch 301x Amp

Any recommendations or comments?

tlongII
10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Turn it down.

blizz
10-24-2007, 01:19 PM
no recommendations, but let me know how you like it. i was about to do my tahoe a few months ago and then two cars from the same floor of the garage i used to park at were broken into and their stereos stolen. they were both done during the day, they were both people who worked in my office and we were supposed to have security. i'm glad i didn't do it. btw, this was at the frost bank building at 410&nacodoches

mouse
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
no recommendations, but let me know how you like it. i was about to do my tahoe a few months ago and then two cars from the same floor of the garage i used to park at were broken into and their stereos stolen. they were both done during the day, they were both people who worked in my office and we were supposed to have security. i'm glad i didn't do it. btw, this was at the frost bank building at 410&nacodoches

Your so full of Shit!

:smokin

I don't get how someone can get a 1000,00 dollar stereo and not a 99.00 dollar car alarm. Did any of these cars have alarms, and does it really matter these days?

Bigzax
10-24-2007, 01:28 PM
i put new speakers in trigger just a couple months ago! congrats!

leemajors
10-24-2007, 01:34 PM
ebay the speakers for way cheaper and install them yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTX-THUNDERFORM-CUSTOM-TAHOE-BLAZER-SUB-BOX-W-10-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38647QQihZ004QQitem Z140168545434QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-07-POLK-AUDIO-DB6501-6-5-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-PAIR_W0QQitemZ270176545386QQihZ017QQcategoryZ32819 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

save a couple hundy.

ATRAIN
10-24-2007, 01:36 PM

OK well thats why im going with that Sub enclosure. The guy at custom sounds said it was really awesome, but not made for MAJOR thumping which is what im going for anyways. Im not big on advertising to people that you have a nice system and want it broken into.

Rack The Trolls!
10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Turn it down.

I agree with this vato! what are you trying to do wake the neighbors or you just like it loud? eBay is the way to go unless your rich like Blizz.

post some pics

:wakeup

Lance
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM
OK well thats why im going with that Sub enclosure. The guy at custom sounds said it was really awesome, but not made for MAJOR thumping which is what im going for anyways. Im not big on advertising to people that you have a nice system and want it broken into.

where do you live and what color is your car?

ATRAIN
10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
where do you live and what color is your car?

LOL i not telling and its not in there yet!!

Slomo
10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I have the exact same Polk audio speakers, hooked to a 4 ch 900W amp from Kenwood. I bought them for the sound quality and I'm really satisfied with the results (Although these speakers MUST be driven by an external amp - they need the xtra current).

I don't have a sub in my car because I really don't like them - for normal listening the Polk Audio give more than enough bass. Of course it also helps to have the car well sound proofed.

Mixability
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Electronics 2000 on San Pedro is the only place you should go unless you like getting ripped off at Custom Sounds.

ATRAIN
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Electronics 2000 on San Pedro is the only place you should go unless you like getting ripped off at Custom Sounds.

I went to custom sounds to look and compare, I wasnt actually going to get my stuff there hahaha

ATRAIN
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
I have the exact same Polk audio speakers, hooked to a 4 ch 900W amp from Kenwood. I bought them for the sound quality and I'm really satisfied with the results (Although these speakers MUST be driven by an external amp - they need the xtra current).

I don't have a sub in my car because I really don't like them - for normal listening the Polk Audio give more than enough bass. Of course it also helps to have the car well sound proofed.

Well I was going to go with the speakers first and foremost cause my front right factory component mids and lows dont work and my back right is blown out. I already have the amp so ill installed it after I get the speakers. The sub however I will take your advice and wait till after I see what they are like without the extra bass.

Slomo
10-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Well I was going to go with the speakers first and foremost cause my front right factory component mids and lows dont work and my back right is blown out. I already have the amp so ill installed it after I get the speakers. The sub however I will take your advice and wait till after I see what they are like without the extra bass.It's a matter of personal taste. My car is quiet enough (I added some sound proofing) that I really don't need anymore loudness. Subs in cars are often used in ridiculous ways anyway. You are right - you can always add the sub later if you feel you need more.

I did the installation myself and just by looking at it you can not tell them apart from the stock factory setup - which I wanted in order to keep bypassers appetites to a minimum.

I've always installed my car stereos myself, it used to be a necessity, now it's kinda of a hobby/pass time that I enjoy. If you don't feel confident to do it yourself (or if you don't feel like it) then seek professional help. I'm not familiar with prices in the US, but here shopping around usually pays off. A friend of mine actually found an installer that allowed him to be present the whole time and to help to the best of his ability. He liked it a lot because he now understands his system completely and he has the added confidence to know exactly what was done to the car.

blizz
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
what kind of speakers do you have in the back of your tahoe? i have an older one so i have some crappy 4x10s in the ceiling that i'm DYING to get rid of....i'd like to see if i can fit some good 6x9s in there with some cutting/fabbing.

blizz
10-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Your so full of Shit!

:smokin

I don't get how someone can get a 1000,00 dollar stereo and not a 99.00 dollar car alarm. Did any of these cars have alarms, and does it really matter these days?

One did, one didn't...and no it doesn't really matter. Hell it didn't matter that we had security guards and camera (that didn't work). Oh well, I'm not working there any more so I could care less...but I am going to get a new head unit and some good speakers now.

Thunder Dan
10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
put some spinners on that thing

stretch
10-24-2007, 02:50 PM
personally, I strongly recommend going with anything Alpine. you can get very high quality sounding shit, for very cheap (in comparison with other brands of the same quality that is). Even the cheapest things they got (Type-E Subs and Type-S speakers) sound amazing. In my civic, I have 2 Type-E 10's, and type-S regular speakers, and they are very crisp, accurate, and can get quite loud with little to no distortion. my friend had an all Type-R system, and it was fucking ridiculous. id rather go with Type-R's than spend an extra several hundred on some quartz's or JL's, and they sound just about as great.

Melmart1
10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Two admitted Tahoe owners in this thread and no appearance by the Mookie crew. They must be slipping.

sa_butta
10-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Electronics 2000 on San Pedro is the only place you should go unless you like getting ripped off at Custom Sounds.I can vouch for that, good prices and good installs. I had two cars done there.

Mixability
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Two admitted Tahoe owners in this thread and no appearance by the Mookie crew. They must be slipping.

:fro

Big P
10-24-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a Tahoe as well, this subwoofer, does it go in place of the existing 8" sub thats in the back & do you know if the factory plastic grill/cover is still used? I would really be interested in it if it was self powered, but having to buy an amp & mount that crap, plus its just more shit for them to steal.

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 04:48 PM
big fucking waste of money

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
you gonna advertise to all the thieves out there with a big CRUTCHFIELD sticker on your back window too?? lollolol :lmao :lmao :lol

blizz
10-24-2007, 05:19 PM
you gonna advertise to all the thieves out there with a big CRUTCHFIELD sticker on your back window too?? lollolol :lmao :lmao :lol
you're hilarious

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 05:25 PM
nothing says "Hey, Come Rob Me!" like a crutchfield or kicker sticker

dont forget your glasspacks and 12" lifts

Barbarian
10-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Well I was going to go with the speakers first and foremost cause my front right factory component mids and lows dont work and my back right is blown out. I already have the amp so ill installed it after I get the speakers. The sub however I will take your advice and wait till after I see what they are like without the extra bass.

I suggest you get the sub. I have the same sub (different vehicle) installed and it gives a nice clean thump. nothing crazy. (If you like rock this sub is perfect.) I have all my mids and highs(four doors)replaced with infinity perfect (pricey but worth it) but it would not be complete without a sub. kinda incomplete IMO. What reciever will you be using? (please do not use factory stereo).Any particualar amps you are interested in?

Another suggestion....Do not buy from Crutchfield.RIP OFF! Do some online shopping. Print out prices and some local places might match it. Itll save you some cash on shipping. Plus youll probably get discount installation for buying from installer. I dont live in SA so I cant recommend any particular places but it shouldnt be too hard to find someone that wants your money.

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 05:41 PM
i always wondered what it was like to wipe my ass with money

blizz
10-24-2007, 07:22 PM

who said he was going to do that?

blizz
10-24-2007, 07:34 PM
I suggest you get the sub. I have the same sub (different vehicle) installed and it gives a nice clean thump. nothing crazy. (If you like rock this sub is perfect.) I have all my mids and highs(four doors)replaced with infinity perfect (pricey but worth it) but it would not be complete without a sub. kinda incomplete IMO. What reciever will you be using? (please do not use factory stereo).Any particualar amps you are interested in?

Another suggestion....Do not buy from Crutchfield.RIP OFF! Do some online shopping. Print out prices and some local places might match it. Itll save you some cash on shipping. Plus youll probably get discount installation for buying from installer. I dont live in SA so I cant recommend any particular places but it shouldnt be too hard to find someone that wants your money.
I've always had good experiences buying from Crutchfield. THey offer free shipping on most items and no taxes. They also throw in installation hardware and instructions that you have to pay for at most places and they offer free support for life on the product. They're prices are pretty consistent with most of the big retail chains.

leemajors
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM

sounds like some v-town 2 Da Curb action.

leemajors
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I've always had good experiences buying from Crutchfield. THey offer free shipping on most items and no taxes. They also throw in installation hardware and instructions that you have to pay for at most places and they offer free support for life on the product. They're prices are pretty consistent with most of the big retail chains.
the big chains charge close to 50% over what you can get off ebay. you can google instructions..

stretch
10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
same here. If i dont use ebay or something like that, then I always go to crutchfield. i've never had a problem with them. and a lot of their prices are quite good.

ATRAIN
10-24-2007, 09:37 PM

Well I already have the amp, and I have a Pioneer after market stereo. I dont have the exact model number right now but its pretty damn good. It is a few years old now. Yeah thats why I was thinking about just that one 10 in the middle cargo area. I prob wont buy it from crutch, but im going to shop around and piece it all together. The speakers are coming first, then depending on if I want more the sub. I also want to put Sirius but im going to use the direct connect to my AUX port in my radio since its XM ready. I just dont know where to mount it. Does anyone have or know of any good mounting kits. My roomate uses the glass mouting, but that also is very visable and I dont want to advertise someone breaking in. Oh yeah and Dan, no spinners hahaha.

Barbarian
10-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I thought xm ready stereos had the xm built-in and just needed the antenna. Which would mean no mounting kit needed. IS there two types of XM ready recievers?
Im guessing, one that is built in and one that has an easy install setup. The latter IMO would not be XM ready but "any device ready" such as an IPOD.

ATRAIN
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
I thought xm ready stereos had the xm built-in and just needed the antenna. Which would mean no mounting kit needed. IS there two types of XM ready recievers?
Im guessing, one that is built in and one that has an easy install setup. The latter IMO would not be XM ready but "any device ready" such as an IPOD.

You need to Antena and something else, not sure. My radio has the AUX port in the back where I can either put in my ipod or put in the sirius. I like the way the interfaces are and it would only be simple text that would scroll through my radio if I got it. I found something in Crutchfield it was like a Sirius connector so I could use just my radio scrolling text. Its about the same price so im not sure.

Victor Newman
10-25-2007, 01:39 AM
One did, one didn't...and no it doesn't really matter. Hell it didn't matter that we had security guards and camera (that didn't work). Oh well, I'm not working there any more so I could care less...but I am going to get a new head unit and some good speakers now.

WTF??

I thought San Antonio had low crime rate?

Barbarian
10-25-2007, 01:45 AM
ebay price (http://cgi.ebay.com/MTX-Thunderform-10-Chevy-Tahoe-2001-2006-Sub-Box-NEW_W0QQitemZ180171170478QQihZ008QQcategoryZ50565Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
crutchfield price (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?showAll=N&g=530&i=236CYTT45B&c=3&tp=113&avf=N)

blizz
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Oh I'm not disputing ebay's pricing. You just have to be careful with ebay. You have to find the line between a really good deal and the "you get what you pay for" saying.

Mixability
10-26-2007, 12:09 PM
If You're Gonna Upgrade, Do It Big!!!!!!!!!!! (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sound-system/guy-installs-17000%20watt-sound-system-in-car-to-be-classified-as-weapon-of-mass-destruction-315522.php?########=true)