PDA

View Full Version : A Question About The Mailman

Kori Ellis
12-20-2004, 08:12 PM
In both houses we've lived in since I moved to San Antonio, the current one and the one in Encino Park, our mailman has just been a guy in civilian clothes who delivers the mail in a regular pickup truck.

Is this a San Antonio thing?

Everywhere else I've lived, the postal workers wear uniforms and drive mail trucks.

:wtf

Useruser666
12-20-2004, 08:19 PM
In both houses we've lived in since I moved to San Antonio, the current one and the one in Encino Park, our mailman has just been a guy in civilian clothes who delivers the mail in a regular pickup truck.

Everywhere else I've lived, the postal workers wear uniforms and drive mail trucks.

Karl Malone delivers the mail to your house? WOW!!!! :wow

Actually that's in more rural areas. In Converse/Cibolo there is a post office in the lumber yard / hardware store(Mc Coy's?) Otherwise you deal with the official uniformed people.

Kori Ellis
12-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Well, my house isn't rural, why do I get a guy in a red Ford mini-truck?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 08:23 PM
I think the work might be contracted out.

Right down the road from me is some guy in a teal Chevy, but at my mailbox - it's a USPS truck.

Since I think your post office is probably the one on Richland Hills by Potranco and 151, I wouldn't be surprised if your new subdivision has somebody contracted.

Useruser666
12-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, my house isn't rural, why do I get a guy in a red Ford mini-truck?

You sure that's the mailman? :lol

Some small subdivisions also have mail privately delivered. The lumber yard example I gave is exactly like what you have. They have a little pickup with a wooden sign that says "Postal Truck" on the top.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-20-2004, 08:27 PM
I think the question on most people's mind is...

Does the postman ring twice?

jalbre6
12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
I can't speak for your area, but I know that the USPS employs a lot of part time people (under 40 a week) with regular hours and routes. That, and residential routes generate less mail than commercial ones. Less mail = less hours. Maybe you have a regular route for a part timer.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Dude delivers the mail after his paper route and before his shift for Domino's.

MannyIsGod
12-20-2004, 09:50 PM
We have the same thing, and my post office is the one on Potranco. I've always wondered, weird shit.

atlfan25
12-20-2004, 10:00 PM
thats weird that would happen. even in places like Cibolo they have their own post office with official trucks and everything.

Hook Dem
12-20-2004, 10:19 PM

Kori... I live in Encino Park and mine is delivered by uniformed mail carrier in a mail truck.

TheWriter
12-21-2004, 12:36 AM
The mailman in my area usually delivers the mail on a freakin' segway. No joke!

http://www.ceofresno.com/segway%2016.jpg

It was really weird the first time I was outside and I see some guy on a ssegway coming down the street.

Some days they'll use the truck with the steering wheel on the left freakin' side!

SequSpur
12-21-2004, 12:46 AM
We live off of Potranco and 151. WTF, does everyone live over here??

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-21-2004, 12:52 AM
We live off of Potranco and 151. WTF, does everyone live over here??

I used to live just on Richland Hills near Jordan MS, but that PO is the closest one to the area I live in (and Kori, Manny and Shelly, too).

There is a closer PO, but it's Leon Valley - so I think they just handle LV.

AlamoSpursFan
12-21-2004, 12:52 AM
I think the answer to the dilemma lies in the fact that the areas in question all USED to be rural and had private contractors delivering the mail. Since one of the hardest things in the world to do is lose a government contracting position, I'm guessing the plainclothes mailmen are actually contractors who haven't decided to quit the gravy train yet. When they do, they will no doubt be replaced with (hopefully gruntled) uniformed Cliff Clavins.

rl64tx
12-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Your carrier is probably a "casual employee" otherwise known as part time help.. where you live probably hasn't developed into a full route, once it develops into a full route you'll probably see a reg. employee

PS.......If your carrier does a good job for you, remember him this holiday season!! I've been doing it for 12 yrs now and my customers are GREAT!!! :drunk Happy Holidays!

angel_luv
12-21-2004, 07:56 AM
Hehe I thought this was another post about Baloney... I mean Malone.
My mail people ( they vary) where a uniform and drive a standard mail delivery vehicle.

Shelly
12-21-2004, 10:57 AM
There is a closer PO, but it's Leon Valley - so I think they just handle LV.

Not any more. We used to be the Richland Hills PO, but they switched us to Leon Valley last year.

The first time I saw civilian mail people was in Tucson.

Drachen
12-21-2004, 12:44 PM

I live in Encino, and have lived there for 11 years, and it has always been a USPS truck that has delivered the mail. I live in the first part of the subdivision.

SpursWoman
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
We get both.... :wtf

ALVAREZ6
12-21-2004, 06:41 PM
The mailman in my area usually delivers the mail on a freakin' segway. No joke!

http://www.ceofresno.com/segway%2016.jpg

It was really weird the first time I was outside and I see some guy on a ssegway coming down the street.

Thats fucking awesome!

I want a segway

T Park
12-21-2004, 07:09 PM
guy uses his half ton Mazda pick up to deliver the mail to our house.

Must be a rural thing