PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Waive Two

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have waived guard Keith Langford and forward/center Kris Lang.

Langford appeared in 5 games and averaged 6.6 points and 2.6 rebounds. Lang averaged 3.2 points and 2.0 rebounds in 5 games.

The Spurs roster stands at 16.

Hemotivo
10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
1 left?

MoSpur
10-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Please let the next one be Beno

Mitch Cumsteen
10-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Darius Motherfucking Washington, bitches!!!

urunobili
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Williams will be the next casualty... to get room for Darius...

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Waive Beno!

cholo
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
adios Beno

timvp
10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Interesting. This is a great sign for those who want Washington to make the team. In recent years, the Spurs finals cuts are all done at once.

To me this means the Spurs could be trying to find a way for Washington to make the team. I'm sure the front office is looking for a team that'll take Beno ... which won't be an easy task.

I also don't think Macus Williams' roster spot is guaranteed yet. If Beno can't be traded and the team really likes Washington, Williams could be the one let go. The Spurs won't make the same mistake like when they let go of Raja Bell to keep Derrick Dial just because they drafted Dial ... or at least I'd hope they wouldn't make the same mistake.

Bottomline is Darius Washington officially has a chance now :hungry:

urunobili
10-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Interesting. This is a great sign for those who want Washington to make the team. In recent years, the Spurs finals cuts are all done at once.

To me this means the Spurs could be trying to find a way for Washington to make the team. I'm sure the front office is looking for a team that'll take Beno ... which won't be an easy task.

I also don't think Macus Williams' roster spot is guaranteed yet. If Beno can't be traded and the team really likes Washington, Williams could be the one let go. The Spurs won't make the same mistake like when they let go of Raja Bell to keep Derrick Dial just because they drafted Dial ... or at least I'd hope they wouldn't make the same mistake.

Bottomline is Darius Washington officially has a chance now :hungry:

question: money wise is cheaper to Waive Williams than Beno?

timvp
10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
question: money wise is cheaper to Waive Williams than Beno?Yes. From what I can tell, Williams has an unguaranteed contract. The price of keeping Williams or Washington is the same.

Beno's contract is guaranteed so if the Spurs waive Beno, they still have to pay him and on top of that they'd have to pay Washington's salary.

whottt
10-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Yes. From what I can tell, Williams has an unguaranteed contract. The price of keeping Williams or Washington is the same.

He does have an unguaranteed contract per an article last week or the week before.

Not only is his contract unguaranteed...but he could also still wind up on the Toros to be developed by the Spurs, even if they waive him....per Chumpdumper...also within the past couple of weeks.

Beno's contract is guaranteed so if the Spurs waive Beno, they still have to pay him and on top of that they'd have to pay Washington's salary.

Yeah but...there is every chance Beno could wind up being IR'ed for the entire season as well...so what would they be paying him for then?

Plus if he is picked up off waivers the Spurs are off the hook for his salary, correct?

Use your Pop decoder ring to figure out if Pop wants Beno on this team...I say he hasn't wanted Beno on this team for a long time now. I think he was fed up with him by the beginning of training camp last season...and even if he wasn't...this season certainly made things worse.

If Pop had wanted to be a nurse for frequently injured players...he'd have become a trainer...not a coach.

dwashfan
10-24-2007, 03:00 PM
It's DWash time....baaaaaby!!!!

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I thnk Pop has wanted Beno gone since training game 05.

Its RC Buford's pet.

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
My gut feeling - which is obviously often wrong - is that Washington makes the squad. It's now down to finding a new home for Beno-mongrel or giving Williams the boot. Washington has just done too much and shown too much promise to pass on.

whottt
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
I thnk Pop has wanted Beno gone since training game 05.

No offense...you are one with the Popsac like few others...but I'll still hold out for timvp's opinion on this one for the final pre-verdict.

urunobili
10-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Use your Pop decoder ring to figure out if Pop wants Beno on this team...I say he hasn't wanted Beno on this team for a long time now. I think he was fed up with him by the beginning of training camp last season...and even if he wasn't...this season certainly made things worse.

If Pop had wanted to be a nurse for frequently injured players...he'd have become a trainer...not a coach.
i think it hasn't been a long time... i remember him saying that it was a great insurance to use the team option on his contract considering it "cheap" for the value he has... that was just last year... i just hope they get rid of him ASAP... at least Williams is yet to impress us...

T Park
No offense...you are one with the Popsac like few others...but I'll still hold out for timvp's opinion on this one for the final pre-verdict

Wasn't looking for your approval on my opinion either Mrs. Barry.

Big P
Beno to the Cavs for their trade exemption...we lose Beno, they get a PG, we add Washington & save some cash..get it done.

whottt
10-24-2007, 03:04 PM
And I remember Pop having some choice Public words for Beno in Training Camp, last season....

whottt
10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Wasn't looking for your approval on my opinion either Mrs. Barry.

Good thing...

MoSpur
10-24-2007, 03:09 PM
It would have to be a move to get rid of Beno. Why would they waive Williams and keep four PGs on the team?

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 03:13 PM
It would have to be a move to get rid of Beno. Why would they waive Williams and keep four PGs on the team?

Because one of those point guards (Beno) is a non-entity. He only plays in blow-outs and if Vaughn went down, Ginobili or Barry would get back-up duties first.

We must also think about the future. Beno's gone, Vaughn may have a single year left, at most. Meanwhile, we have no backup PG, and it's an expensive position to fill. The smartest thing in the world may be to start training the future back-up now, even if it means carrying four of the same position at present.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
He does have an unguaranteed contract per an article last week or the week before. Yeah, as I speculated during the summer, it sounds like the Spurs were trying to force Williams to Europe. It was pretty apparent due to the delay in signing him and then the Spurs' mouthpiece Buck Harvey writing that article comparing Williams' potential development in Europe to that of Manu. Williams apparently didn't go for the Europe idea but the Spurs still had to offer him a tender contract to keep their rights to him. Williams signed that unguaranteed contract and here we are today.

Not only is his contract unguaranteed...but he could also still wind up on the Toros to be developed by the Spurs, even if they waive him. Williams sucked in summer league and preseason so bad that if the Spurs waive him, I'm completely confident that he'll slip to the Spurs in the first round of the NBDL even though the Toros draft late in the round. No other NBA or NBDL team is going to be beating down the door to get a guy who is lucky to shoot 20% in summer league or preseason action.

Yeah but...there is every chance Beno could wind up being IR'ed for the entire season as well...so what would they be paying him for then? Actually, if the Spurs have to keep Beno, if he were to accidentally get injured the Spurs' insurance would cover his contract. Hmmmm...

Plus if he is picked up off waivers the Spurs are off the hook for his salary, correct? Correct ... but that wouldn't happen. Not many teams could pick him off waivers and those who could would almost certainly wait after he cleared waivers to attempt to sign him.

I think if Beno were to be waived he'd be in Europe permanently within a year.

I'm not sure if Pop ever wanted Beno. If you remember correctly, in Beno's rookie season he got hurt in training camp and Pop got so mad he didn't even let Beno travel with the team during preseason. Pop was also the one who called Jacque Vaughn on the first day of free agency last summer.

Beno must have a supporter somewhere in the organization but it isn't Pop . . .

If Pop had wanted to be a nurse for frequently injured players...he'd have become a trainer...not a coach.Good point.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Beno to the Cavs for their trade exemption...we lose Beno, they get a PG, we add Washington & save some cash..get it done.The Cavs are stuck until they figure out what they are doing with Pavlovic and Varejao. They can't use a roster spot on Beno with all the uncertainty on that team.

The only way the Cavs would re-enter the picture is if they find a way to trade Damon Jones. But Jones is almost as hard to trade as Beno.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Beno must have a supporter somewhere in the organization but it isn't Pop . . .

Its pop's prissier, dumber friend.

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Which preseason DIDN'T Beno get hurt?

SequSpur
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Cleveland doesn't want a shitty point guard.

If somebody wanted him, he would be gone.

He is not a cheap option. I don't understand where this crap comes from.

Tpark, if Pop didn't want him in 05, he wouldn't of extend his contract... WTF? Pop is damn near the CEO of the Spurs and you guys think his secretary RC Buford has pull over him?

quit trying to figure out the inner dwellings of some shit you have no idea about.

urunobili
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
do y'all remember the 05 championship video that there's a special feature that has pop teaching the shot dynamic with Beno?

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I can more readily see the Spurs waiving Williams if only because keeping Beno around gives the Spurs a filler for later in the season if a trade has to be made. Beno is probably going to be hard to move by himself, but he will have marginal value with an expiring contract as the season grinds on and the contract has at least some value beyond the minimum to give some useful filler in some kind of trade scenario.

If the Spurs were to keep Darius, is he too old to send to Austin? I don't immediately recall the rules for that sort of thing -- if he can be designated to Austin, keeping him at this point would seem to be a no-brainer.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Tpark, if Pop didn't want him in 05, he wouldn't of extend his contract... WTF? Pop is damn near the CEO of the Spurs and you guys think his secretary RC Buford has pull over him?

I think RC has some say so in the organization.

He had enough for Derrick Dial to stay and Raja Bell to be shipped out.

Mitch Cumsteen
10-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Beno is not getting waived. It's just not happening. The Spurs aren't going to eat that salary, as minuscule as it is, when they have until the trading deadline to dump him. The real problem in trading him is that there aren't very many open roster spots around the league. That, and the fact that he sucks. You would think that they could've forced him down the Rockets throat along with Jackie Butler? I don't even know this front office any more.

I think this is going to come down to a Darius Washington vs. Marcus Williams decision. Given their needs, I don't see how it isn't Washington.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:24 PM
quit trying to figure out the inner dwellings of some shit you have no idea about.

Look in the mirror when you say this. Make sure to tilt it so you can see and not just be eye level with the bottom of the mirror.

timvp
Beno's contract was extended due to The 2008 Plan. I'm sure the Spurs figured Beno and Vaughn could handle the backup duties for one more year. After The 2008 Plan was canceled, now Beno's contract looks ridiculous. But at the time, having a point guard on a one-year contract who had experience with the team made more sense than going into the summer looking for a halfway decent guard willing to sign for one year.

picnroll
Seeing as Parker is the only PG that is healthy apart from Washington it seems like they'd have to keep Washington who knows the system some, at least for awhile, unless Vaughn comes back pretty quick.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
You would think that they could've forced him down the Rockets throat along with Jackie Butler? I don't even know this front office any more.

The Rockets had and have like 5 point guards.

Rafer Alston, Steve Francis, John Lucas III, Mike James, and the guy they drafted thats escaping my mind.

Why the hell would they want one suckass gringo stiff?

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 03:26 PM
If the Spurs were to keep Darius, is he too old to send to Austin? I don't immediately recall the rules for that sort of thing -- if he can be designated to Austin, keeping him at this point would seem to be a no-brainer.

Any rook can be sent down, I believe. First and second year players, regardless of age. But anyway, Washington is hardly old. I believe he's only 21. He came out after his sophomore year, wasn't drafted, and should be a senior now. A year older than Williams, if I'm right.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Beno's contract was extended due to The 2008 Plan. I'm sure the Spurs figured Beno and Vaughn could handle the backup duties for one more year. After The 2008 Plan was canceled, now Beno's contract looks ridiculous. But at the time, having a point guard on a one-year contract who had experience with the team made more sense than going into the summer looking for a halfway decent guard willing to sign for one year

That and the Spurstalk posters calling in complaining the team was cheap, they decided to not want to field none from Angel about the same subject.

Mitch Cumsteen
10-24-2007, 03:28 PM
The Rockets had and have like 5 point guards.

Rafer Alston, Steve Francis, John Lucas III, Mike James, and the guy they drafted thats escaping my mind.

Why the hell would they want one suckass gringo stiff?You think they wanted Jackie Butler and his $3.5M/ year contract?

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:28 PM
If the Spurs were to keep Darius, is he too old to send to Austin? I don't immediately recall the rules for that sort of thing -- if he can be designated to Austin, keeping him at this point would seem to be a no-brainer.The nice thing about Darius Washington is he's only 21-years-old. He's only like 10 months older than Marcus Williams.

And although he's played in the preseason before with the Mavs, Washington has never played in an NBA game. This means that Washington would have two full years of eligibility with the Toros.

:hat

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Seeing as Parker is the only PG that is healthy apart from Washington it seems like they'd have to keep Washington who knows the system some, at least for awhile, unless Vaughn comes back pretty quick.Vaughn's injury was supposedly minor when it happened. But yeah, if it is worse than the Spurs are letting on, that'd further increase Washington's chances.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:32 PM
You think they wanted Jackie Butler and his $3.5M/ year contract?

They needed bigmen and hes a young one that can score in the post, wich they and Chicago needed desperately next to yao.

So yeah I think in a way they did.

He was the reason to match salary, but yeah I think he was wanted and was seen as a need.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:33 PM
And although he's played in the preseason before with the Mavs, Washington has never played in an NBA game. This means that Washington would have two full years of eligibility with the Toros.

Sweet.

You could potentially have 3 or 4 future Spurs on the Toros.

That would make the home games in Austin more than worth making the trip.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
The Spurs could actually end up with Mahnimi, Washington and Williams on the Toros. However, to make that happen, the Spurs would have to waive Williams. If Washington is waived there's a pretty decent shot he ends up with an NBA team. Even if he doesn't, he'll either get a big offer from Europe or he'd be picked high in the NBDL draft.

Williams, on the other hand, could be waived and then if he enters the NBDL, I'd say there is a really good chance the Spurs/Toros can pick him ... if they still wanted him.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Cleveland doesn't want a shitty point guard.

If somebody wanted him, he would be gone.

He is not a cheap option. I don't understand where this crap comes from.

Cavs currently have 11 players under contract and must leave open 2 spots for varajo and Pavolvic. I remember reading in the past that their trade exemption expires by the end of this month if not used. So there are definatly spots availble for Beno but does ferry really want Beno that much is the question?

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 03:39 PM
The Spurs could actually end up with Mahnimi, Washington and Williams on the Toros. However, to make that happen, the Spurs would have to waive Williams. If Washington is waived there's a pretty decent shot he ends up with an NBA team. Even if he doesn't, he'll either get a big offer from Europe or he'd be picked high in the NBDL draft.

Williams, on the other hand, could be waived and then if he enters the NBDL, I'd say there is a really good chance the Spurs/Toros can pick him ... if they still wanted him.

Reading between the lines...

Washington is an NBA player. Williams is not.

Washington will start a significant basketball career this year... somewhere. Williams may well just get picked back up by the Spurs after waiving, because he's not very good.

The only thing keeping Williams on the roster is the fact the Spurs spent a pretty good pick on him.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Sweet.

You could potentially have 3 or 4 future Spurs on the Toros.

That would make the home games in Austin more than worth making the trip.

Actually, absent Beno being traded or waived, you'd still only have 2 guys there whose rights the Spurs would own. There might be some other guys who the Spurs would be interested in, but only 2 who they could have the exclusive right to recall.

And if Marcus Williams gets waived, I'm not sure that you can assume he'll be loyal to the Spurs, even if he's drafted by or plays for Austin.

ploto
Pop very much wanted Beno after he saw him in the Chicago pre-draft camp that summer. There were concerns already even then that Beno did not have any passion for the game, but "sources" in Europe told him that Beno just keeps it inside (apparenlty waaayy inside). I am guessing that Pop does not trust whoever that was that gave him the insight into Beno's personality.

As to the option to pick up Beno, the Spurs honestly did not expect Vaughn to play as well as he did, especially his ability to pick up the defense. They really expected Beno to be the back up this past season, even after everything.

yavozerb
I wouldn't quite make washington a big contrinuter to the spurs quite yet...He has done well in a couple of pre-season games and thats it. I am positive in saying that most of us thought Beno would be an effective NBA PG following his showing his rookie year..

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I was counting

Washington, Mahinmi, Williams, and the VERY outside shot, of Sanikidze seeing as he isn't making his German team.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
I am positive in saying that most of us thought Beno would be an effective NBA PG following his showing his rookie year..

Because he was in semi decent shape, and at the time gave a crap about the game.

Washington seems to have three times the drive, and three times the fire that pussbag does.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Pop very much wanted Beno after he saw him in the Chicago pre-draft camp that summer

I don't think anyone is doubting before drafting.

Its actually showing up and breaking a nail did Pop pretty much hate his guts.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
Cavs currently have 11 players under contract and must leave open 2 spots for varajo and Pavolvic. I remember reading in the past that their trade exemption expires by the end of this month if not used. So there are definatly spots availble for Beno but does ferry really want Beno that much is the question?The Cavs, counting Varejao and Pavlovic, have 15 players:

LeBron
Gibson
Gooden
Big Z
Hughes
Marshall
Newble
Snow
Simmons
Devin Brown
Shannon Brown
Damon Jones
Dwayne Jones
Varejao
Pavlovic

So that's 13 guaranteed contracts plus Varejao and Pavlovic. The Cavs actually have less room than the Spurs do for Beno.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I think I'd rather have Eric Snow than Beno at this point.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Beno + Barry for Pavlovic (S&T) ...Just a thought...Udoka has def. made barry expendable.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:48 PM
As to the option to pick up Beno, the Spurs honestly did not expect Vaughn to play as well as he did, especially his ability to pick up the defense. :huh

If there was one thing expected from Vaughn, it was the ability to play defense.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 03:51 PM
The Cavs, counting Varejao and Pavlovic, have 15 players:

LeBron
Gibson
Gooden
Big Z
Hughes
Marshall
Newble
Snow
Simmons
Devin Brown
Shannon Brown
Damon Jones
Dwayne Jones
Varejao
Pavlovic

So that's 13 guaranteed contracts plus Varejao and Pavlovic. The Cavs actually have less room than the Spurs do for Beno.
oops, hoopshype didnt have figures yet on devin or dwayne..That sucks

SequSpur
10-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Beno was on the hook and he dropped 25 in a preseason game to save his ass and the spurs re upped him the next day cause you whiny ass spurs fans who know nothing about talent would've cried like bitches.

That's why, it is has nothing to do with a plan.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:52 PM
I think I'd rather have Eric Snow than Beno at this point.I'd rather have Beno with one-year and under $2M on his contract than Snow and his two-years and $14M million left on his contract.

Beno + Barry for Pavlovic (S&T) ...Just a thought...Udoka has def. made barry expendable.Pavlovic wants some ridiculous contract. Something like MLE money for five years. I'd gladly take Barry over a massively overpaid Pavlovic.

Solid D
10-24-2007, 03:53 PM
:huh

If there was one thing expected from Vaughn, it was the ability to play defense.

You talkin' about Player/Coach Vaughn?

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Pav has become a pretty decent NBA player and played very well in the playoffs for the cavs..4 mil for a 24 yr old who seems to get better every year I think is not a bad deal

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I'd rather have Beno with one-year and under $2M on his contract than Snow and his two-years and $14M million left on his contract.

Its like getting told "Your going to be murdered, gun or poison?"

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Pavlovic is strange.

I was really on his bandwagon till i went back watched games 1 through 4 again and again this summer, and, hes got agreat shot. Hes a decent defender and rebounds.

His problem though is he gets Hedo syndrome in that he likes to "float"

just be on the court. Dont be agressive, yet dont be passive.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Beno was on the hook and he dropped 25 in a preseason game to save his ass and the spurs re upped him the next day cause you whiny ass spurs fans who know nothing about talent would've cried like bitches.

That's why, it is has nothing to do with a plan.
quit trying to figure out the inner dwellings of some ish you have no idea about.

2centsworth
10-24-2007, 03:58 PM
The Spurs cutting Beno and keeping Washington would send a very good message to the team. That working your tale off means something and it's not all about the money. Considering the players in question, this is going to be a relatively inexpensive message too.

T Park
10-24-2007, 03:58 PM
You talkin' about Player/Coach Vaughn?

I would love to see Vaughn added to the coaching staff at the end of his contract if he wants to retire.

I can't tell you how many times I'd see Vaughn would whisper something into PJ or Bud's ear last year, and they would nod there head, and seem to say something to Pop in the time out, and then he would nod with the "hmm not bad" look and say something.

Wich i take to think, he is seeing adjustments, matchups, and what not on the floor and making suggestions.

timvp
10-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Pav has become a pretty decent NBA player and played very well in the playoffs for the cavs..4 mil for a 24 yr old who seems to get better every year I think is not a bad dealI'm not a Pavlovic fan. He was pretty good his rookie year and then regressed for a couple seasons before having a pretty good second half of the season last year. He's a decent player but not worth the 5-year, $30M he wants.

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Considering the players in question, this is going to be a relatively inexpensive message too.

If you straight out cut beno, and I'm not totally positive on this, but you pay his 1.7 million salary, and since they are in the lux tax, that counts as 3.4...

Wich is a HUGE waste of money.

Kori Ellis
Spurs cut Ron Mercer when he was making 7M. They can cut Beno if they really want Washington.

It's funny to me because Washington might not even be very good. But we are all so excited about him because it's someone shining so much brighter than Beno.

Mr. Body
The Spurs cutting Beno and keeping Washington would send a very good message to the team. That working your tale off means something and it's not all about the money. Considering the players in question, this is going to be a relatively inexpensive message too.

That's the thought behind the AJ jersey retirement, too.

But it's not just because Washington's busted his ass. He's also got some talent.

2centsworth
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
If you straight out cut beno, and I'm not totally positive on this, but you pay his 1.7 million salary, and since they are in the lux tax, that counts as 3.4...

Wich is a HUGE waste of money.
it's already being wasted. Cutting Beno doesn't change anything.

2centsworth
10-24-2007, 04:02 PM
That's the thought behind the AJ jersey retirement, too.

But it's not just because Washington's busted his ass. He's also got some talent.
no doubt. Plus, as Kori said Beno makes Washington look like Tony Parker.:lol

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Wow. No.

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Cutting Beno doesn't change anything.

cutting Beno means keeping washington, wich means, your gonna pay his half a mill, wich counts as a million, on top of a player who counts as 3.4...

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow. No.

Wow, then whats correct ?

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Spurs cut Ron Mercer when he was making 7M. They can cut Beno if they really want Washington.

It's funny to me because Washington might not even be very good. But we are all so excited about him because it's someone shining so much brighter than Beno.

It is hard to tell how good he is. However, he has some solid skills. Ball-handling, etc. He was able to get after rebounds once the coaches asked for it, and he's shown pretty solid leadership abilities. For a small contract (say, Williams'), it's hardly a bad deal to try him out for a year. I'd think his combination of fair talent and truly busting his ass could pay dividends. Afterall, Vaughn was never a great NBA player, but was solid.

And even if it was the GSW, racking up a near triple double in a preseason game is eye-opening.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 04:06 PM
All of this over someone who may not even play during the season if signed.. :lol

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
It is hard to tell how good he is. However, he has some solid skills. Ball-handling, etc. He was able to get after rebounds once the coaches asked for it, and he's shown pretty solid leadership abilities. For a small contract (say, Williams'), it's hardly a bad deal to try him out for a year. I'd think his combination of fair talent and truly busting his ass could pay dividends. Afterall, Vaughn was never a great NBA player, but was solid.

And even if it was the GSW, racking up a near triple double in a preseason game is eye-opening.

Yes, I agree. He might actually become a very good role player eventually - he's young. I was just noting that we probably wouldn't care so much about him if Beno didn't suck.

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Yes, I agree. He might actually become a very good role player eventually - he's young. I was just noting that we probably wouldn't care so much about him if Beno didn't suck.

Oh, absolutely. This is fueled at least as much by Beno-hate as Washington-love. It's a crime against humanity that a no-talent ass-clown like Beno Udrih makes money for doing shit-all while the rest of us bang away at our crap jobs.

timvp
10-24-2007, 04:09 PM
All of this over someone who may not even play during the season if signed.. :lolI don't think Washington would play much unless there were an injury. He'd spend most of his time in Austin. When not in Austin, he'd be IR'ed.

That said, he'd be a nice prospect to send along with Mahinmi to Austin to see if he develops.

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:10 PM
He might actually become a very good role player eventually - he's young

I think thats all we've ever asked from beno, or from the backup point.

We don't want the next Stockton, just someone who isn't a gigantic fuckup when he comes in :lol

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:11 PM
That said, he'd be a nice prospect to send along with Mahinmi to Austin to see if he develops.

Doing that, if you bring them both up to the big team next year, it never hurts to have that chemistry together, coming off the bench.

Mr. Body
I don't think Washington would play much unless there were an injury. He'd spend most of his time in Austin. When not in Austin, he'd be IR'ed.

And what some are missing is that we NEED a young PG prospect. Next year = no Beno and perhaps no Vaughn.

No non-Parker PGs. It's actually the position of greatest need at the moment.

yavozerb
Hey, try banging away with fractured finger..Kori, where's my trophy?

coopdogg3
10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Oh, absolutely. This is fueled at least as much by Beno-hate as Washington-love. It's a crime against humanity that a no-talent ass-clown like Beno Udrih makes money for doing shit-all while the rest of us bang away at our crap jobs.

What pisses me off the most about Beno, is that I think he does have talent. The man has some skills. But he just has no heart or desire. Even though he's on a championship contender and paid millions. That pisses me off the most. If that doesn't motivate you, then what will?

timvp
10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Another aspect to consider regarding Beno is this year he's likely to spend a good portion on the IR even when he's healthy. Beno has been non-disruptive over the years when he got DNP-CD's ... but he has never been healthy and placed on the inactive list. Seeing how overinflated his ego is, I'm not sure Beno could handle being a healthy scratch.

All the more reason to waive goodbye . . .

yavozerb
OK, lets say if washington did evolve into a decent NBA pg..How long do you people think he would stay backing up TP and how much do yall think the spurs would offer a back-up player?

coopdogg3
And what some are missing is that we NEED a young PG prospect. Next year = no Beno and perhaps no Vaughn.

No non-Parker PGs. It's actually the position of greatest need at the moment.

Vaughn signed a two-year deal this summer. Are you afraid of injury? Or that Vaughn might retire?

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
What pisses me off the most about Beno, is that I think he does have talent. The man has some skills. But he just has no heart or desire. Even though he's on a championship contender and paid millions. That pisses me off the most. If that doesn't motivate you, then what will?

It wouldbe awesome if one of the skanks he bangs would end up being a good chick and would kick his ass in gear.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 04:14 PM
If Washington never rises to anything better than 3rd string then it would still be a decent investment. Hes young and COULD grow. Hes better than Beno. And even if he never breaks out, hes dirt cheap. Frankly, 500k for a 3rd string PG is about as cheap as you'll find. But 500k for a backup is amazing. It's worth the gamble. I would offer a two year deal with the second year as a team option.

MoSpur
10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
By when do the Spurs have to make the final cut?

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
OK, lets say if washington did evolve into a decent NBA pg..How long do you people think he would stay backing up TP and how much do yall think the spurs would offer a back-up player?

All depends on if he has a "Bruce Bowen attitude, or a Speedy Claxton attitude"

Thinks he can start and get paid more? Adios.

Likes winning, likes being apart of a team, wants to live comfortably but not make 90 mill a year, he will stay.

All depends on what kind of guy he is, if or when he becomes a very productive player due to the Spurs development.

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Vaughn signed a two-year deal this summer. Are you afraid of injury? Or that Vaughn might retire?

He'll be on the team next year, then sucked onto a coaching bench somewhere, but an inexpensive long-term solution is in order. With a hurt Vaughn now, why wait?

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:17 PM
If Washington never rises to anything better than 3rd string then it would still be a decent investment. Hes young and COULD grow. Hes better than Beno. And even if he never breaks out, hes dirt cheap. Frankly, 500k for a 3rd string PG is about as cheap as you'll find. But 500k for a backup is amazing. It's worth the gamble. I would offer a two year deal with the second year as a team option

Agreed. Give him William's contract.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
I know I'm getting selfish now, but I'd like to see Williams waived AND Beno traded. Then we can sign Washington and Sanikidze and redraft Williams in Austin. Imagine having a Toros team with Ian Mahinmi, Darius Washington, Marcus Williams and Viktor Sanikidze...yikes.

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
then sucked onto a coaching bench somewhere

If the Spurs win it again, it wouldn't shock me to see Don Newman get a head assistant position.

Just slide England into it, and put Vaughn behind the bench to learn.

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:19 PM
I know I'm getting selfish now, but I'd like to see Williams waived AND Beno traded. Then we can sign Washington and Sanikidze and redraft Williams in Austin. Imagine having a Toros team with Ian Mahinmi, Darius Washington, Marcus Williams and Viktor Sanikidze...yikes.

If that happened, I think I would buy season tickets to the Toros.

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:20 PM

All for it. At this piont DW on the team makes me happy, whether it's Williams or Beno gone. But I definitely want Beno gone, I don't care if there's only 2 PGs on the squad. Beno's offensive.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Lets get back to the skanks who are doing Beno!! :lol

timvp
10-24-2007, 04:21 PM
OK, lets say if washington did evolve into a decent NBA pg..How long do you people think he would stay backing up TP and how much do yall think the spurs would offer a back-up player?The Spurs usually give training camp invitees a two-year contract where the second year is a team option. The Spurs wouldn't have to worry about paying Washington until two years down the line ... and even then, he'd be a restricted free agent.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Yes, I finally feel like a champion!!!Thanks Kori...Carry on please.

timvp
10-24-2007, 04:22 PM
By when do the Spurs have to make the final cut?The deadline is usually right before the season starts. I'd guess the deadline is something like 3PM on Monday.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 04:23 PM
The most realistic scenario I see is that Williams gets waived (hopefully redrafted in Austin) and Washington is then signed. Beno rides out his time on the team and is traded before the deadline.

Of course, if Williams is truly "untouchable" then our only hope might be trading Beno. But frankly, I think they might be able to console RC by promising to take Williams in the NBDL draft.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
The deadline is usually right before the season starts. I'd guess the deadline is something like 3PM on Monday.

I heard it was sometime on the 29th.

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Of course, if Williams is truly "untouchable" then our only hope might be trading Beno. But frankly, I think they might be able to console RC by promising to take Williams in the NBDL draft.

:lol

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
The most realistic scenario I see is that Williams gets waived (hopefully redrafted in Austin) and Washington is then signed. Beno rides out his time on the team and is traded before the deadline.

Agreed except for the last part.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
I really think Washington well be waived and is only on the roster due to JV still being injured at this time. JV may need another week to recover from his injury, so this buys the spurs another week of rest for him.

timvp
10-24-2007, 04:27 PM
I heard it was sometime on the 29th.

The Raptors have 16 players in camp and have until the Oct. 29 deadline (6 pm ET) to set their roster of 15

Looks like I was off by two hours.

Solid D
10-24-2007, 04:30 PM
When I hear the coaches talk about Marcus Williams and Darius Washington in pre/post game interviews...I hear a patient, "showing us some good things on defense" ride-this-one-out types of comments on Marcus and the "whether he makes it here or somewhere else, he has shown us some good things" types of comments on Darius.

That may be coach spin for RC wants to see his draft project succeed regardless of whatever else is going on.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Agreed except for the last part.

You think Beno would spend a full year with the team instead, or what?

timvp
10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
The most realistic scenario I see is that Williams gets waived (hopefully redrafted in Austin) and Washington is then signed. I still think the most likely scenario is Washington gets waived. Trading Beno will be difficult. It could be difficult getting Holt to sign off on the idea of eating his contract. And even though Williams hasn't shown much, he was still a high second round pick that some people in the organization had to have liked.

If I had give the odds, I'd say:

65% Washington is cut
20% Williams is cut
12% Beno is cut or traded
3% Washington and Williams are cut

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:34 PM
You think Beno would spend a full year with the team instead, or what?

Yeah. I don't think any team will want his flea-ridden behind. And the Spurs won't want any contracts they could get for $1.7 million.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 04:35 PM
I still think the most likely scenario is Washington gets waived. Trading Beno will be difficult. It could be difficult getting Holt to sign off on the idea of eating his contract. And even though Williams hasn't shown much, he was still a high second round pick that some people in the organization had to have liked.

65% Washington is cut
20% Williams is cut

I meant that as the "most realisitic scenario that keeps Washington on the roster". I tend to agree that the most likely outcome is that nothing changes right now. But if Washington is going to make this team this year then I think his best chance is Williams gets waived.

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I still think the most likely scenario is Washington gets waived. Trading Beno will be difficult. It could be difficult getting Holt to sign off on the idea of eating his contract. And even though Williams hasn't shown much, he was still a high second round pick that some people in the organization had to have liked.

65% Washington is cut
20% Williams is cut

Lemme get out my two 10-sided dice...

whottt
10-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Washington plays like he cares....that alone makes him more likeable than Beno.

Did you see the clip of when Washington missed those two FT's? The pain? The agony?

The only time you see Beno in that kind of agony is when he gets to Taco Cabana too late for the breakfast tacos.

whottt
10-24-2007, 04:37 PM
The only time you see Beno in that kind of agony is when he gets to Taco Cabana too late for the breakfast tacos.

or when he gets a hangnail....

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Or when he goes to Utah were theres only white chicks.

Mr. Body
10-24-2007, 04:38 PM
or when he gets a hangnail....

That's not 'agony' for Beno. That's a 'get out of preseason free' card.

yavozerb
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Or when he goes to Utah were theres only white chicks.
Thats what I'm talking about TPark..Where on the same page, this is getting pretty repetitive, lets talk about some of Beno's so-called "chicks or scanks"

T Park
10-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Thats what I'm talking about TPark..Where on the same page, this is getting pretty repetitive, lets talk about some of Beno's so-called "chicks or scanks"

less words more pictures.

Fucker maybe be a piece of shit as a basketball player, but the fucker pulls great tail from being in the NBA.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-24-2007, 06:01 PM
God please let the Spurs waive or trade Beno for Washington.

SequSpur
10-24-2007, 06:28 PM
quit trying to figure out the inner dwellings of some ish you have no idea about.

yeah, you're probably right, I shouldn't figure out the truth.

SequSpur
10-24-2007, 06:29 PM
BTW.....

Beno is gone.............................................. ...........

T Park
10-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I hope your right little man.

Darkwaters
10-24-2007, 07:00 PM
I hope your right little man.

http://bling.imperial.org/smile/random/pray.jpg

wildbill2u
10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Third string PG guard position. Who cares? These guys are invisible most games, even compared to the 3rd string bigs. Practice dummies and towel wavers are the required skill sets.

Develop? How many of these guys ever 'develop' into starters? Their realistic goal is to become the second string guard.

Anyway, Pop would rather play Barry or Gino if we get that far down in the squad rotation and something important is on the line.

Much ado about nothing.

remingtonbo2001
10-24-2007, 07:08 PM
less words more pictures.

Fucker maybe be a piece of shit as a basketball player, but the fucker pulls great tail from being in the NBA.

But is it Tom Brady quality? :toast

I'm actually going to stick my neck out and say, Beno Udrih is the second most TALENTED point guard on our team. Now, talent can only go so far, as many of us have seen. If TALENT was the only thing to matter, I'd image there would be more success stories in the news. I've seen flashes of Beno that have reminded me, SLIGHTLY, of John Stockton. Granted, John Stockton wasn't incredibly talented, but if the man wasn't MR. FUCKIN' CONSISTANT, then I don't know what consistancy is. I wish somehow someone could light a FUCKIN' FIRE under his ass. If Beno ever played with passion, the Spurs' Bench might be considered one of the greatest of all time. So, is it worth, what....1.9 million to see if Beno mentally matures. I doubt half of the posters on this board have reached mental maturity. I haven't. I'm planning on it at some point. Beno needs to ask this question. Do women enjoy dating unemployed men? I can assuringly say the answer NO. Regardless of how good you look. Trust me I know. :spin Maybe Beno needs to get a wife. Somebody to tell him what to do, give him some direction. Seriously, I could where the Spurs would keep Beno, as crazy as that sounds. But this injury might have been the straw that breaks the camel's back.

wildchild
10-24-2007, 07:28 PM
But is it Tom Brady quality? :toast

I'm actually going to stick my neck out and say, Beno Udrih is the second most TALENTED point guard on our team. Now, talent can only go so far, as many of us have seen. If TALENT was the only thing to matter, I'd image there would be more success stories in the news.
Agree as well. Work>talented.

I've seen flashes of Beno that have reminded me, SLIGHTLY, of John Stockton. Granted, John Stockton wasn't incredibly talented, but if the man wasn't MR. FUCKIN' CONSISTANT, then I don't know what consistancy is. I wish somehow someone could light a FUCKIN' FIRE under his ass. If Beno ever played with passion, the Spurs' Bench might be considered one of the greatest of all time. So, is it worth, what....1.9 million to see if Beno mentally matures. I doubt half of the posters on this board have reached mental maturity. I haven't. I'm planning on it at some point. Beno needs to ask this question. Do women enjoy dating unemployed men? I can assuringly say the answer NO. Regardless of how good you look. Trust me I know. :spin Maybe Beno needs to get a wife. Somebody to tell him what to do, give him some direction. Seriously, I could where the Spurs would keep Beno, as crazy as that sounds. But this injury might have been the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Your wife say ""Tell you what, I'll drive and you navigate"??
I don't get married. :lmao

Obstructed_View
10-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Beno probably had more talent than Parker when he was drafted. Parker's worked his ass off on every part of his game since the day he arrived, which is why he's so much better now.

SenorSpur
10-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Looks like Beno has successfully lowered our expectations for a backup PG.

Hope CIA Pop will surprise us and simply keep the best 15 players.

tav1
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
We've nearly beaten this dead horse back to life. Basically, I agree with timvp that Darius is facing long odds. But there is another wrinkle that might help explain why Washington was not cut today, other than the current injury situation. Darius is from the Orlando area and the Spurs are playing Orlando Thursday night. I suspect Pop wants to reward the kid for his hard work by giving Washington a lot of minutes in front of family and friends. And then he'll cut him.

Obstructed_View
10-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's exactly right. If the coaches are talking the way it's been reported in this thread, there's no way they're cutting Dial, I mean...

urunobili
10-24-2007, 09:03 PM
We've nearly beaten this dead horse back to life. Basically, I agree with timvp that Darius is facing long odds. But there is another wrinkle that might help explain why Washington was not cut today, other than the current injury situation. Darius is from the Orlando area and the Spurs are playing Orlando Thursday night. I suspect Pop wants to reward the kid for his hard work by giving Washington a lot of minutes in front of family and friends. And then he'll cut him.
all what timpv said was that at least he has a shot... i'll remember your user forever if you are right...