PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are aging, ...

biba
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Spurs are aging, yes, but the defending champs say they're motivated for repeat
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gG6h2uK92ktiBcGdFMjvPir5Q0YQ

SAN ANTONIO - Before proceeding to drip sweat all over the microphones of the inquisitive media, a huffing and puffing Manu Ginobili wiped his forehead on the freshly pressed shirt of a San Antonio Spurs employee.

"I just want to show you that I'm working," Ginobili said, laughing.

As if he needed to prove anything. The hardworking Spurs are known for keeping their heads down and charging forward, sticking together and maintaining focus on one thing: winning.

The defending NBA champions will be trying to keep that up, going for their first repeat and fifth title in 10 seasons starting next week.

And with a team that looks a lot like it did last season, the Spurs like their chances, no matter what changes were made in Dallas and Phoenix and elsewhere.

Yes, for better or worse - given recent history, probably better - it's going to be the same old San Antonio Spurs this season. Emphasis on old.

The Spurs are aging. Witness Ginobili, one of the most recent additions to the Spurs' rapidly growing 30-and-over club.

"I'm feeling great," Ginobili said. "I think at 22 I felt better. ... I feel like 29."

The running joke the past couple of years is that the Spurs are just about eligible for Social Security benefits. Those gibes are still around and perhaps even picking up steam.

"I hope it's good, but if they're all too old then it's bad," coach Gregg Popovich characteristically deadpanned when asked about the team staying together. "You told us we were too old three years ago. So maybe we're too old."

But with age comes wisdom, and the Spurs have plenty of that. The methodical team led by Tim Duncan, who like his coach has almost unparalleled discipline on the court, will try to keep winning the way it always has: with its league-leading defence. And the Spurs know better than to rest on their laurels.

"If you thought you were a marked team then, you're definitely a marked team now," guard Michael Finley said. "These teams are going to come out and bring out their best game and you have to be prepared both mentally and physically to have that type of 'X' on your back every night."

The Spurs will pick up their championship rings next Tuesday before opening the NBA season against Portland, in what was supposed to be the pro debut of injured No. 1 pick Greg Oden. But as former top pick LeBron James found out, sharing the stage with the Spurs isn't much fun.

San Antonio overwhelmed James and the Cleveland Cavaliers in a four-game sweep of the NBA final. Robert Horry collected his seventh ring, Duncan his fourth and several longtime players their first.

The Spurs' personnel has stayed largely the same, with 12 returning players. Of those, only final MVP Tony Parker, Beno Udrih and Matt Bonner are under 30.

The only significant addition was 30-year-old forward Ime Udoka of the Trail Blazers.

"After a championship we always had a new piece to put in ... and sometimes it takes a little time when you're trying to get used to another team's system. Here it is we've got guys that understand the system," said star defender Bruce Bowen. "You can get back into it because you had a base in it before."

That familiarity has allowed the team to take it slow during the preseason, playing Duncan and the rest of the starters sparingly.

"These guys have been together quite a bit and they've played with each other, so it's not so urgent as it might be with a young team to get them used to each other," Popovich said.

Parker in particular took time to rebuild his strength after a long summer playing for the French national team.

"I feel great. I don't feel out of shape at all," Parker said. "I thought it was a great idea to go back in the weight room, try to build a base for the season."

The team's cohesiveness is one thing. Motivation is another. After winning the title in 1999, the Spurs lost in the first round the next season. After their 2003 and 2005 titles, they lost in the Western Conference semifinals. It's important for the Spurs, as Bowen puts it, "to guard against complacency."

"It's always a tough year after winning a championship, no matter who you play, no matter what you do," Duncan said. "It's always a tougher year, but again we go back to the fact that everybody's been through that before."

Added Duncan: "There's no better feeling than being the last team standing. And no matter how many times you attain that goal you want to do it again."

CELTS SAY DON'T LOOK PAST NETS
By FRED KERBER
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10242007/sports/nets/celts_say_dont_look_past_nets.htm
October 24, 2007 -- The Celtics are the popular - and logical - pick in the NBA East with their three superstars. They are getting just as much attention in an area where the Red Sox start the World Series tonight, the Patriots brutalize opponents and Boston College seeks a No. 1 national ranking.

"People anoint you stuff that you shouldn't be anointed to. It's an honor to have our guys on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but shouldn't San Antonio be there?" coach Doc Rivers said before the Nets beat his Celtics, 82-71, last night in the Meadowlands. "That's fine. We're going to be tested and we should be. I don't think that's a bad thing."

The Celtics - who sat their Big Three of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen - endured a franchise-record 18-game losing streak last season. But you add Garnett, you add Allen, people pick you to win.

"I know they're all picking us, but let us go on a five-game losing streak and people will be talking bad about us," said Eddie House, who signed with Boston after a season in New Jersey.

The Celtics know nothing will be easy. For starters, that team in New Jersey is being overlooked, Rivers said.

"Absolutely," Rivers said. "Krstic last year, that was a huge injury. I don't think people made a big-enough deal about that. Having him back is going to be big for them. They have three stars as well. . . . They're going to be tough."

Director of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge reminded of one major reason to not overlook the Nets: Jason Kidd.

"I had the privilege of coaching Jason Kidd for three years," Ainge said. "Any team that he's on strikes fear into opponents. Believe me, I've seen it."

thispego
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
let me think if i can come up with anything that im more tired of reading about than the spurs' age............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................nope

Reggie Miller
10-24-2007, 03:34 PM
let me think if i can come up with anything that im more tired of reading about than the spurs' age............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................nope

I have a very short list:

1. Steve Nash and the Suns are saving the NBA with their bitchin' ratings.
2. Luis Scola is apparently the next Julius Erving.

I was going to add "Bruce Bowen is a dirty thug" at No. 3, but that is at least entertaining in its way, some of the time.

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Ok, how 'bout they're boring? Dirty?? :lol

lil'mo
10-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a very short list:

1. Steve Nash and the Suns are saving the NBA with their bitchin' ratings.
2. Luis Scola is apparently the next Julius Erving.

I was going to add "Bruce Bowen is a dirty thug" at No. 3, but that is at least entertaining in its way, some of the time.
luis scola has mainly been an annoying issue just this summer
steve nash and the suns' fans aren't winning a title so they gotta have something to grasp onto.

but just when you think that the Spurs have proven that age doesnt hold as much water as many claim, they go and age another year. "Now they're even older than they were last year! surely this is too old."

if only the spurs could find some sort of anti-aging serum, fountain of youth type of thing, maybe we could put an end to all this talk.

DR WU
10-24-2007, 05:08 PM
...and at 30+ the Spurs can still school most teams around the league. What's old is this aging topic.

thispego
10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok, how 'bout they're boring? Dirty?? :lol
haha, i actually like to hear that. thats like basically admitting that you dont watch basketball or just have a blind hate for the Spurs because they are on top of the league.

the Spurs being old is actually true, but making "old" age out to be some sort of hurdle to overcome is just stupid. Yet every year the geniuses who write these articles can't think of anything better to latch onto.

thispego
10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
...and at 30+ the Spurs can still school most teams around the league. What's old is this aging topic.
:clap

LaMarcus Bryant
10-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Spurs are like the whottt of professional basketball

Brutalis
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
You lost me at 'canadianpress'

laugh... gimme a break

Strike
10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't know how it happens. The Spurs get older, year after year, while the rest of the league stays the same age.

It's kind of like Wooderson from "Dazed and Confused"
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/dasd52000/wooderson1.jpg
That's what I hate about these San Antonio Spurs, man. They get older, we stay the same age.....

Obstructed_View
10-24-2007, 09:13 PM
The age talk is entertaining. I remember when Steve Francis used to tell reporters what a young team the Rockets were after the Spurs would beat them with a 21 year old point guard.

Sweetey
10-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Has anyone on this Board NOT aged since winning our last Championship? If you answer "no", you are lying !!!

Sweetey
10-24-2007, 09:58 PM
The age talk is entertaining. I remember when Steve Francis used to tell reporters what a young team the Rockets were after the Spurs would beat them with a 21 year old point guard.
Hiya bro -- I'm baaaaaaack ! Let's bring home number FIVE this season. :clap