PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs: Ramsey will be 2005 starter

ducks
12-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Gibbs: Ramsey will be 2005 starter
By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
December 20, 2004

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- Patrick Ramsey has already won next season's quarterbacks competition for the Washington Redskins.

Coach Joe Gibbs said Monday that Ramsey will be his 2005 starter, and he expects Mark Brunell to remain with the team as a high-priced backup.

``We're starting with Patrick,'' Gibbs said. ``That's who we're going with. He's our guy. We're hoping he continues to progress.''

ADVERTISEMENT
Ramsey has completed 65 percent of his passes, with five touchdowns and three interceptions and an 83.3 rating, in five starts since replacing Brunell. The Redskins are 2-3 in those games, but the three losses came against Super Bowl contenders Philadelphia (twice) and Pittsburgh.

``When somebody goes in and starts playing good, the way I look at it, he's earned the right,'' Gibbs said. ``That started from the first day he went in there and started playing good. I'm kind of reluctant to pull guys in and out, so I kind of give him a shot and we're going until something would happen to tell me that, hey, we need to make a change.''

Gibbs praised Ramsey's adjustment to the coach's more conservative offense, which asks the quarterback to take fewer risks downfield. Ramsey often forced deep passes under previous coach Steve Spurrier, a habit that lingered into this season's training camp and resurfaced when he threw five interceptions in 55 attempts in two regular-season relief appearances.

The coach said he had a long talk with Ramsey about the importance of cutting down on turnovers, and Ramsey appears to have learned the lesson.

``We've got a heck of a defense,'' Gibbs said. ``And the quarterback on a team like that has to be careful with the football. ... One of the best things that Patrick's done for us is he's played smart, he's played tough, and the last three games, he's made some plays.''

Gibbs said he expects all three of his quarterbacks -- Ramsey, Brunell and Tim Hasselbeck -- to return next season. The Redskins paid a high price for Brunell in the offseason, trading a third-round draft pick to Jacksonville for him and then signing him to a seven-year, $43 million contract with an $8.6 million signing bonus.

Brunell said he came here to start, and he won the job over Ramsey in training camp, but his regular-season statistics are the worst in the league. He failed to throw for 100 yards in five of his nine starts, and he ranks last in completion percentage (49.8) and yards per attempt (5.04).

Nevertheless, Gibbs said he thinks Brunell will be accepting of the backup role, and he credited Brunell for being supportive of Ramsey over the last five games. He also said Brunell gives the team an experienced backup in case Ramsey struggles or is injured.

``I think Mark knows how he got to where he is,'' Gibbs said. ``And I think he understands all that.''