PDA

View Full Version : Questions About SpursTalk.com

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Please answer these questions.

Disclaimer: I'm not promising anything discussed in this post. I'm just thinking about some stuff.

Thanks.

1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section?

2. Would you frequent any of the following forums if they were added to SpursTalk:

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of course

Spanish Only - self-explanatory

MMA - should I just re-name the "Other Sports" forum MMA? Set up a new forum?

Music - I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me.

Anything else?

--K.E.

Brutalis
10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
1. Yeah depending on the game of course. I don't mind ads*.
2. Maybe cept for the spany one.
3. Nay
4. Yes. Music is it's own world.

And yes, fire Nutt.

Melmart1
10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section?

Yes, I would play and no, I wouldn't mind at all.

2. Would you frequent any of the following forums if they were added to SpursTalk:

I would check it out but doubt I would post there with any regularity. IMHO, I think it's fine staying in the club.

I would go there, but I think this would be very hard for you and timvp to regulate. Imagine how many spammers you would get in there? My guess it would just become a spam forum and cause you a lot of extra headaches.

No hablo espanol.

Then where would non-MMA stuff go? The Club?

Music - I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me.
I agree, no reason it can't stay in the Club.

Anything else?
It would be nice if there were some very basic rules about avatars and sigs, just out of courtesy to others.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2007, 08:01 PM
-I don't care one way or the other about the arcade. I wouldn't be playing. Just as long as it doesn't slow up the rest of the board.

-I'd read the Tech Talk, but prefer having it and everything else stay in the Club. The more different forums things are spread across, the less likely I would be to read them.

ducks
10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
tech talk would be cool

Brutalis
10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
I have been wondering when ST would spread its wings for a while with new forums. Message boards grow that way I'm pretty sure.

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
-I don't care one way or the other about the arcade. I wouldn't be playing. Just as long as it doesn't slow up the rest of the board.

It would require a separate server. That's why I brought up ads. I'm not going to shell out another $500 a month or anything on my own.

-I'd read the Tech Talk, but prefer having it and everything else stay in the Club. The more different forums things are spread across, the less likely I would be to read them.

I feel the same. But tons or people message me about this, that's why I'm asking.

baseline bum
10-24-2007, 08:09 PM
1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section?

Occasionally, but definitely never if there were banner ads.

Yeah, this forum absolutely needs to be there. Anything technical or about games gets pushed to the back quickly by quatro-esque threads in The Club. The Club is too big, and these topics should be factored out of it and into their own forum.

Never.

No.

What is MMA?

I agree.

Brutalis
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM

Yeah, this forum absolutely needs to be there. Anything technical or about games gets pushed to the back quickly by quatro-esque threads in The Club. The Club is too big, and these topics should be factored out of it and into their own forum.

Never.

No.

What is MMA?

I agree.
MMA is like a sloppy fighting league type deal. There's a new one popular every year.

ashbeeigh
10-24-2007, 08:11 PM

Sure. If and when I have time. And the banners wouldn't bother me at all.

I'd browse, not post, per say. Could we combine it with the site issues forum?

That would be fun. Being able to do that kind of stuff with people you're already sort of familiar with would be more comfortable then doing something random on craigslist or ebay.

:lmao yes.

I wouldn't, but I know lots of people would like it.

Maybe, I don't know. I see your point, but then again it could be good. Those music threads get lengthy and hard to go through. I'd go through it, occasionally, like the tech one, but probably not contribute.

Anything else?

No. Don't think so.

CuckingFunt
10-24-2007, 08:11 PM
If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section?

Yes, I would play and no, I wouldn't mind at all.

I would check it out but doubt I would post there with any regularity. IMHO, I think it's fine staying in the club.

I would go there, but I think this would be very hard for you and timvp to regulate. Imagine how many spammers you would get in there? My guess it would just become a spam forum and cause you a lot of extra headaches.

No hablo espanol.

Then where would non-MMA stuff go? The Club?

I agree, no reason it can't stay in the Club.

Anything else?
It would be nice if there were some very basic rules about avatars and sigs, just out of courtesy to others.

Same for me.

Ocotillo
10-24-2007, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't particpate in any of the ideas myself. I have no interest in the arcade but I don't object to ads even if you wanted them in the message board area.

The agree with ShoogarBear that adding more forums dilutes the possibility of me visiting them. For instance I only check out the Club, Spurs Forum and the Political Forum these days. Once in a while I check out the NBA forum. My 2 cents.

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:17 PM

I'm curious about this. Why would you never go there if there were banner ads? I'm not talking about pop-ups, pop-unders or obtrusive ads. I'm talking about a simple static banner ad.

Why would this stop you from frequenting somewhere?

DannyT
10-24-2007, 08:18 PM
i would be game for the addition of a tech forum and an arcade would more then likely be dope and also a BBS to buy sell trade would really dope

E20

Disclaimer: I'm not promising anything discussed in this post. I'm just thinking about some stuff.

Thanks.

Anything else?

--K.E.
1. I would play those games and would not mind those banners.
2. I would not post in any of those and I think Other Sports forum should not be changed to MMA forum. I agree with that TV, Music, Entertainment should be kept in the Club.

Anything else: Yeah, when the hell am I gonna get hired for that writing job?

mookie2001
no

no
no

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Anything else: Yeah, when the hell am I gonna get hired for that writing job?

I already posted in the original thread (long ago) letting everyone know that the jobs were closed and people were all hired.

mookie2001
i say we get rid of kingstalk, pistonstalk and the troll forum

E20
I already posted in the original thread (long ago) letting everyone know that the jobs were closed and people were all hired.
Ass. :pctoss

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:20 PM
no

no
no

I wouldn't expect anything else from you, as you hate anything that we try to accomplish at SpursTalk :lol

mookie2001
10-24-2007, 08:23 PM
remember when you thought about charging people and/or selling spurstalk for 7 figures?
then yall were like - we thought about and decided NOT to sellout!

and then everyone praised yall and offered to help

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:24 PM
remember when you thought about charging people and/or selling spurstalk for 7 figures?

I never thought about charging people. But of course, I remember the rest.

So, are you saying we should sell out?

FlyHigh07
10-24-2007, 08:24 PM
i say we get rid of kingstalk, pistonstalk and the troll forum

I say we get rid of mookie. :flipoff

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:25 PM

By the way, six figures not seven.

whottt
10-24-2007, 08:26 PM
There should be a v-crew forum...

All v-crew, all the time.

mookie2001
10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
then you said the new servers cost 7 figures

leemajors
10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
i am in favor of a tech forum, the rest is ehh.

Brodels
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
I probably wouldn't paricipate in any of these things, with the possible exception of the tech forum because I like to take a few moments to keep up when I can.

They might get a lot of use from others though.

anjlbitz
10-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Definitely! Especially if there was Tetris or Snake :D

Yes

Yes

THE SIXTH MAN
10-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Yes. And I wouldn't mind banner adds.

I personally wouldn't post there. But I do think there are a lot of people that would. No lie, I have learned a lot from some of the tech threads that have been in the club. So would lurk there.

Nope. I think its fine in the club.

No.

No.

This is fine in the club too.

Anything else?
No, I like the idea of a tech forum and a arcade just fine. :tu

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
then you said the new servers cost 7 figures

:lol

You are crazy.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
1. I would probably use an arcade section. Banner ads are fine if that's where it ends.

2. I don't think I'd use any of those forums if they were created.

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Banner ads are fine if that's where it ends.

What does that even mean?

God forbid if we try to get a baby step closer to breaking even.

timvp
10-24-2007, 08:48 PM

and then everyone praised yall and offered to helpremember that time you hated whottt but when your parents kicked you out of their house for smoking too much W and nobody could help you move your things out you called whottt and he helped you move out of your parents house with the repayment being you had to become his lapdog on the forum?

then you were like - yeah okay i told my ded it was just a LITTLE weed but my ded said ehhh you just can't do things like that so whottt can you please help me move out!

ShoogarBear
10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
He means he doesn't want a pop-up just as he's about to set his personal record at Tetris.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
And WTF is this with whottt's nose firmly implanted in the collective mookiecrew butt?

tlongII
10-24-2007, 08:51 PM
1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section? No games for me. I don't like video games. They rot your mind. Obviously I don't care if any ads are there.

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff No. I am not a geek, I am a cool guy.

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of course Not unless there is some illegal stuff.

Spanish Only - self-explanatory No hablas espanol.

MMA - should I just re-name the "Other Sports" forum MMA? Set up a new forum? Set up a new MMA forum.

Music - I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me. Keep it in the Club.

Anything else? You need a Blazers forum.

timvp
10-24-2007, 08:52 PM
And WTF is this with whottt's nose firmly implanted in the collective mookiecrew butt?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1899400&postcount=54

Dex
10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
One thing I think would be pretty cool is some way to track your posts, or moreso the posts you've replied to. I know you can always run a search or find all posts by a member within their Info page, but I've seen some boards with functions where you could view all Replied Posts, and it would filter out the ones you haven't already trolled, and say whether there have been replies, all that good stuff. :)

Maybe it's already here and I'm just missing it, but I couldnt find it in the vBulletin settings. :depressed

tlongII
10-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Herbal Essence

Viva Las Espuelas
10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
arcade would be cool, but keep it to retro games. good, old, mindless games, but not too many. posts will go down.

a "tech" forum would be nice. there's always a "my computer did this, what do i do?" thread in the club almost every week. plus the "videogames" thread is long running.

no "buy/sell/promote" forum. there's craigslist and i think batman might rethink his profession.

nix everything else.

urunobili
10-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Anything else?

--K.E.

1) would not play arcade
2)
tech talk YES
sell/buy NO
promote YES
Music YES
Spanish NO

Other Sports Yes

3)

Viva Las Espuelas
10-24-2007, 09:03 PM
One thing I think would be pretty cool is some way to track your posts, or moreso the posts you've replied to. I know you can always run a search or find all posts by a member within their Info page, but I've seen some boards with functions where you could view all Replied Posts, and it would filter out the ones you haven't already trolled, and say whether there have been replies, all that good stuff. something else that would be cool would be a view/post ratio, posts per hour in each thread. that would be a cool addition.

whottt
10-24-2007, 09:05 PM

I'm trying to get them to vote Guilianni in the next election.

Pistons < Spurs
10-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Definitely. And banners would be cool.

I would. Maybe include 'photoshopping & graphic requests' under the 'other geek stuff'. But I don't see why people can't also discuss this in the Club.

No. And again, this could be done in the Club. I don't imagine there would really be enough selling/buying to require a whole seperate section.

No Speaky Spanish...

No.

Keep it in the Club.

timvp
10-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not promising anything discussed in this post. I'm just thinking about some stuff.Noted.

1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section?Could be kinda cool if it's setup to where people with high scores in the different games get a little trophy-type recognition under their name.

However, if you ever dared put any sort of visible advertisement anywhere on this site, even in an area that you are paying extra for as a favor to those who want it, I'd boycott SpursTalk for life. :dramaquee

2. Would you frequent any of the following forums if they were added to SpursTalk:I'm probably not one to ask because I was against the political forum back in the day and that has actually worked out quite nicely but I'll go ahead and give my opinion . . .

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuffPeople have asked for this forum for years. I don't know how much action it'd get.

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of courseDecent. Perhaps merge the above tech talk, with the existing technical forum and this idea. :huh

Spanish Only - self-explanatoryWon't be able to participate but a google translation to see all the different ways Tony Parker can be cussed out would be pretty interesting.

MMA - should I just re-name the "Other Sports" forum MMA? Set up a new forum?Eh maybe eventually but gotta see if it has staying power. That said, that forum is basically an MMA forum now anyways so tough to say.

Music - I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me.Every music forum I've ever seen turns lame fast so it'd be up against long odds. I do like the idea of keeping it part of the Club.

Anything else?

--K.E.Yeah, thanks :clap

Amuseddaysleeper
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
A separate section for music/film would be awesome. I work at a record store and am a film major so by all means let me moderate that forum! ;)

ShoogarBear
10-24-2007, 09:22 PM
How about a Star Trek/Star Wars forum?

:nerd

Kori Ellis
10-24-2007, 09:26 PM
How about a Star Trek/Star Wars forum?

:nerd

Would that be a private forum for you and Obi?

whottt
10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Would that be a private forum for you and Obi?

No...the only private forum Shoogar wants is the DC Bear Club forum.

ShoogarBear
10-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Would that be a private forum for you and Obi?Another good idea. A VIP Private Dance forum. :cooldevil

angel_luv
10-24-2007, 09:39 PM

I would probably not play myself, but think it would be a cool feature.
I don't see a problem with the ads.

I would like this for when I have a computer question.
Another useful idea.
N/A - since I do not know Spanish.

I rarely visit the Other Sports forum- have no preference.

I agree.

G-Nob
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section? - Absolutely. If there is anyway to help the folks at Spurstalk maintain Spurstalk, I'm all for it. I wouldn't be bothered by any ads on the page. I say if you can get some cash to meet or exceed costs, do it.

Tech Talk - sure. sounds great.

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - wouldn't partcipate

Spanish Only - don't you think its a little unnecessary to divide a forum in that aspect? You might as well create a "whites only" or "blacks only" thread.

MMA - I wouldn't mind what you renamed "other sports"

Music - Music and movies can just stay in the club

George Gervin's Afro
10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
in the arcade could we play online poker with other members?

or is this a really stupid question?

duncan228
10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
I might play, I'd have no problem with banner ads there.
I do really appreciate that there are no ads in the main forums.
It's refreshing and more pleasant to hang around, for me.

I think it could be helpful.
I have no problem with it the Club, but I think it might do well as its own forum.

I agree it might be hard to regulate. I'd hate to see it become Spam Central. Or maybe that's what you could call it. :lol

Not for me.

I like the Other Sports forum. If MMA needs its own, that's cool. But I do like having a place for "everything else" in sports.

I'm fine with it in the Club, but I bet this one would take off. There's lots of music conversation on the board, having its own forum could be nice.

Anything else?

Yes. Whatever you decide, as long as ST keeps the atmosphere you've created here I'll be happy. I love it here. And, as always, thank you for the place you've given us.

--K.E.

Oh...and I agree that sigs should have size limits.

baseline bum
10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
I hate flash ads, and I'd most likely have all the games already anyways. The tech forum is a must-have though. For example, it sucks that all video game news is lumped into one thread in The Club just to keep it from disappearing behind all the other talk. A tech forum would allow us to make new threads for different gaming topics without having to worry about them never being read due to being on the bottom of the page or on the second page.

Hemotivo
10-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Tech Talk - yes!

&

Scola Talk

baseline bum
10-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Tech Talk - yes!

&

Scola Talk

Scola forum is here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Spanish Only - don't you think its a little unnecessary to divide a forum in that aspect? You might as well create a "whites only" or "blacks only" thread.

:lol Not exactly the same thing. Many posters whose native language is Spanish have asked me about this several times because they are more comfortable writing in Spanish.

J.T.
10-25-2007, 01:28 AM
I would prob go in tech talk from time to time to get info on software and stuff but I wouldn't go in there daily like I do NFL and Trolls.

Arcade depends on what games are in there. I'd probably check that out though.

xamila rey
10-25-2007, 01:33 AM
^^^ about Spanish forum

yes thats my case, i am more comfortable writing in Spanish than English
but again we are in USA so it is good for me to practice some English.
For those who dont live here, probably will love the idea.
That would bring tons of people for sure, and more diversity to the forum.

Thanks Kori for asking about this!

:toast

THE SIXTH MAN
10-25-2007, 01:39 AM
^^^ about Spanish forum

yes thats my case, i am more comfortable writing in Spanish than English
but again we are in USA so it is good for me to practice some English.
For those who dont live here, probably will love the idea.
That would bring tons of people for sure, and more diversity to the forum.

Thanks Kori for asking about this!

:toast
I never thought about it that way. I'm pretty sure theres a lot of foreign people who lurk and not post only because their English isn't that good.

And timvp also brought up a good idea in having the tech forum combined with the selling forum. Only because most of the stuff I've seen for sale on this forum is electronic.

whottt
10-25-2007, 01:44 AM
RE: The Spanish Forum...since most of the posters here don't speak Spanish...prolly not gonna be a lot of support for that...

However, isn't this decision really up to you and those that do speak Spanish?

Are you just trying to figure out if there are enough Spanish speakers here to pull it off?

I imagine if you have a Spanish forum...more Spanish speakers will come.

Our Spanish speakers are pretty lazy about translating the Spanish articles now so maybe a Spanish forum will bring some in that aren't as lazy about that sort of thing :tu

xamila rey
10-25-2007, 01:44 AM
:lol Not exactly the same thing. Many posters whose native language is Spanish have asked me about this several times because they are more comfortable writing in Spanish.

what about a Spanglish forum?
so in that way no one would feel restricted.

whottt
10-25-2007, 01:45 AM
I say make the tech forum in Spanish...

J.T.
10-25-2007, 01:51 AM
I'm white American but I know two languages besides American English and I can see why some people would want to have a Spanish forum. Half of the non-foreign people on here can't even use English correctly anyway. Especially all of you "loosers" out there.

J.T.
10-25-2007, 01:52 AM

Make it Arab since if you call tech support for (insert any company here), then that's who you're going to be talking to.

MagnusKrauss
10-25-2007, 02:05 AM
i'm new here, but i don't think people come here for the arcade games.

banner ads? sure, why not? if it helps this forum break even, then go for it! :D

the others forums....tech talk..maybe they'd be better off visiting a real tech forum?

buy/sell/trade.....uhm. will it generate income for the forum?

spanish forums....yes! yes to making this site more foreign-friendly. if you build it, they will come. translations would be welcome.

-----------------------

magnusdrakenkrauss

DannyT
10-25-2007, 02:06 AM

two birds one stone.... :wakeup

Trainwreck2100
10-25-2007, 02:06 AM
i would spend a little time at the arcade and probably not frequent any other of the proposed forums

DannyT
10-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Make it Arab since if you call tech support for (insert any company here), then that's who you're going to be talking to.

:wakeup :wakeup
True..........True

sprrs
10-25-2007, 02:52 AM
I'd probably play a few of the games, and I might browse through some of the other forums, the buy/sell/trade forum sounds interesting.

LEN BIAS 4EVER
10-25-2007, 03:34 AM
I am new and joined for the simple reason that Spurstalk implied just that, a forum about the Spurs and NBA, as well as other sports. simply put, that's why I joined. It would be unlikely that i would play in an arcade but banner ads sure wound not scare me off. If we could play online poker and bet our vbookie cash (which i have yet to find an event to bet it on) I could see that really taking off.

As for a Spanish forum, i wouldn't be in it but it's not for me and its probably a good idea, their are Spurs fans throughout Latin America. And other forums outside of the sports world i don't look at, their are probably better sites out there for that type of thing in the first place, ie craigslist. Just giving you my honest opinion, hope it helps.

Hantler
10-25-2007, 04:35 AM
How about a bitch forum? You can do all your bitching in one forum. It would be perfect for all the SR posters to cool off about being banned before they become a ST regular poster.

Djour Djilios
10-25-2007, 04:42 AM
How about a bitch forum? You can do all your bitching in one forum.

SequSpur and Tpark would never leave there. :lmao

How about a SEX forum? We can merge all the topics about who has the best ass and who's wiener is bigger, and who has the best jugs etc.... we can finally get all our daily masturbating fix in one area .

MavTalker
10-25-2007, 04:46 AM
How about a "Fire Pop" and "trade Manu" forum? It will cut down on many unwanted topics the first time the spurs lose 2 straight games!

Steve Perry
10-25-2007, 04:53 AM
Mike Taylor forum would be cool we could talk about his show on the radio and he can reply to us during commercials as we answer his questions, while he pimps his forum on the radio giving you more traffic!

smeagol
10-25-2007, 05:23 AM
I would not play games but would not mind a games forum with banneres.

Yes

Not often

Hell yes!

Don't rename the Other Sports forum MMA. Make an MMA forum instead.

I would keep these topics in the Club

Anything else?
Tell mookie to STFU already with wanting to make the Troll forum go away

SpursIndonesia
10-25-2007, 05:48 AM
I'll be a frequent TechTalk visitor & active participant should the forum goes online. I've been a long time member of DFI forum, jonnyGURU forum, and recently XtremeSystem forum -ofcourse i'm a mod in my local IT/computer forum in my country.

Slomo
10-25-2007, 05:59 AM

Thanks.

No, I'm not good at these anyway.

2. Would you frequent any of the following forums if they were added to SpursTalk: Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff
I Probably would, but I doubt it would get more in-depth than what we are seeing in the Club because we're on this forum primarily for other reasons - and I think it's OK that way.

I don't know, I guess it would be more interesting for US residents anyway. Could be a nightmare to moderate though.

No because I don't speak Spanish. Reading about the reasons behind this question I would like to change my answer to HELL NO! I understand it is more comfortable for some posters to write in Spanish, but it would mean that a lot of their input and info would be lost for me - and for that very selfish reason I vote no.
I much rather read interesting posts in bad English as opposed to not be able to read them at all. Posters who are not native English speakers should not be embarassed by their English, even if we have some assholes who will make fun of them because of it - please understand that they (the assholes) are a very small minority.
If memory serves we have read many interesting stuff from foreign posters on ST during past years and I would like it to remain so.

I don't know what MMA is so no.

I personnaly like these topics in the Club.

More forums would probably water down the existing ones and not necesseraly create more/better traffic in the new ones. But if you are looking at ideas to get back some of the costs for this site, I'm OK with it.

KEDA
10-25-2007, 06:41 AM
The arcade section would be cool, especially if we could use our vBookie money to play with (poker, blackjack, slots, etc.)

Tech Talk doesn't bother me either way

B/S/T would be cool, but you would have to make sure that it is understood that you guys are not responsible for any wrong doing in that section.

no to the Spanish section

MMA doesn't bother me at all, keep it the way it is.

Music needs to be in the club, Im pretty lazy when it comes to reading here, I go to the Club and then to the Spurs section, and then Im on to another site, so keeping it simple is better for me.

And I think you guys should have banner ads on everything, you and L J spend stupid money on this site for our entertainment. I think you guys are way overdue to recoup. some of the expense of running ST.

Gerryatrics
10-25-2007, 06:43 AM
1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Almost certainly, unless they were so lame as to be unplayable.

Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section? No, unless they were those seizure inducing flash banners.

Tech Talk: Yes.

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote: I'd check it out, probably wouldn't be a lot of action for those of us not in the San Antonio area though.

Spanish Only: My Spanish is pretty horrible, so not really.

MMA: Seems fine keeping it in the Other Sports forum.

Music: Keep it in the club.

polandprzem
10-25-2007, 07:11 AM
It would be good to have new forum named MMA
The 'other sports' should be there as well.

I'm starting to get interest in MMA so you know ...

ShoogarBear
10-25-2007, 08:03 AM
How about a "Fire Pop" and "trade Manu" forum? It will cut down on many unwanted topics the first time the spurs lose 2 straight games!How about a Troll Forum?

Oh, wait . . .

Slydragon
10-25-2007, 08:24 AM

that's what I was thinking.

polandprzem
10-25-2007, 08:27 AM
If any advise can be helpfull.

There is too much 'trash' on Spurs forum.
One - too much topics not about the spurs. It would be good to put to life the NBA Center moving the topics there. NBA is NBA Spurs are spurs
Two - Too much trash itself - too much useless threads.

Slydragon
10-25-2007, 08:36 AM

What does that even mean?

God forbid if we try to get a baby step closer to breaking even.

I would not mind static ads on SpursTalk as a whole. I put up with them on every other crappy site and it's sure in Hell not going to stop me from coming to 1 of my favorites sites.

Yes you would get a whole lot of OMG topics but once the shock goes away, there will be "I hardly notice them topics" followed by no topics about them because they would just become excepted as part of the site.
Go ahead and try to break even is what I say.

1Parker1
10-25-2007, 08:37 AM
1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section? Depends on what kind of games there are, but probably. I do hate sites with banner ads...esp the ones that have the flashing or the pop-ups which can get distracting and quite annoying. That is one of the things I love about this forum, it doesn't have all that.

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff--Probably not, unless I had a computer problem and needed some geeks to answer it :)

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of course--Hmm, I actually really like this idea. I'm always iffy about selling/buying stuff off Craig's list, ebay, etc cuz you can never trust the person or know how it will turn out. But since I "know" many of the posters on the forum, it'd be easier to do. But one question: Who is going to monitor this if there is a problem? Like I know ebay and sutff have customer service, etc in case something goes wrong...

Spanish Only - self-explanatory--LOL My spanish is rough so probably not.

MMA - should I just re-name the "Other Sports" forum MMA? Set up a new forum?--Not sure what MMA stands for. :oops

Music - I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me. Sure

Taco
10-25-2007, 08:40 AM

Thanks.

1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section? Cool!! :tu

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff Maybe
Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of course Cool!! :tu

Spanish Only - self-explanatory Nope

--K.E.

jmard5
10-25-2007, 09:22 AM

I might play some. We could also have the tiny trophies/awards placed under our avatars.

Yes. Latest gadgets and gaming consoles would be nice.

Nope.

I might need to use this: http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/

--K.E.

smeagol
10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
So people don't want a forum in Spanish because they don't speak Spanish?

That is a hell of a reason . . .

I'm apolitical, so I don't want a political forum.

And I'm no Pistons fan, so please make the Piston Forum go away.

And I hate trolling, so the Troll forum should go too

:bigfuckingrolleyes

polandprzem
10-25-2007, 09:31 AM

Let's make the forum in polish !!!

cornbread
10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
I might play them. Banners wouldn't be a problem.

Sounds boring
yes
no
MMA consistently dominates the Other Sports forum. How about a new MMA/Boxing forum???
I agree

fatsack
10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes
Not crazy about banner ads, but if that's the price to pay for a cool arcade section, so be it.

Rarely

Occasionally

No

Makes no difference to me.

I think they should stay in the club.. they're good topics to engage others in fun conversation.

Anything else?
Thanks for trying to make this a better place for all of us.

--K.E.

101A
10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Tech forum would be nice.

Games, fine.

Other stuff, no opinion

cornbread
10-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Kori asked if you would "frequent" a Spanish forum, not if you "want" a Spanish forum. Not being able to speak Spanish IS a hell of a reason not to frequent a Spanish forum.

ploto
10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Let's see.

I don't play arcade games so that is not something that I would use but I think you might have people who would use it quite a bit.

A tech forum is in my view the idea that would generate the most traffic. A lot of the people on forums in genreral would use that.

I don't really like pulling out parts of the club- for example, the music or film things, because I like the general entertainment in the club. One of the things that I have noticed is that when more and more areas are created, then people gripe if they think you put a topic in the wrong forum. People spend time arguing about where a topic should be. It even happens with the Spurs forum and the NBA forum as those ones often cross.

If you create a Spanish only forum will it be for any and all topics that people want to talk about in there? Will it be be Spurs, sports, club,... all in one place? I could see use for that forum but I also see a lot of people posting in there asking people to tell them in English what they are talking about.

Getting involved in buying and selling would probably create more headaches than you want.

Just my two cents-- I think you don't want to lose your core identity by branching out too much and trying to be everything for everyone.

smeagol
10-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Kori asked if you would "frequent" a Spanish forum, not if you "want" a Spanish forum. Not being able to speak Spanish IS a hell of a reason not to frequent a Spanish forum.

That is a good reason.

I am not having a good day :D

LEONARD
10-25-2007, 10:18 AM
MMA / Boxing Forum would be cool...

MMA is like a sloppy fighting league type deal. There's a new one popular every year.

If you don't know anything about it, just say so...or pretend to and make it obvious... :lol

dbestpro
10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
I would like to see the board formatted for elective cell phone viewing. It would have to be a no picture text driven system.

thispego
10-25-2007, 10:28 AM
i would probably not use any of those new things except for MAYBE the arcade on slow and boring days. and i might even click on a banner or two while i'm there :tu

thispego
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
and i would also sell/trade/buy but that doesnt happen enough to warrant a new forum.

easjer
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM

Eh, maybe. SFIE is much more likely to play games than I am, because he can get away with that at work. Banner ads wouldn't bother me anywhere on the site.

Not unless I had a question about that stuff.

Yes. I'd definitely be interested. I just wonder if what I might be interested in selling or trading would be applicable here. I can also see the potential for giant headaches for a mod. But on a trial basis, sure, why not?

I would not visit, unless I decided to learn Spanish.

No opinion.

Agree with your take.

Anything else?

Nope!

BacktoBasics
10-25-2007, 10:44 AM
I originally brought up the arcade awile ago and I still think with leaderboards and everything we'd all have some serious fun. Great idea. If you do it I can contribute to the cost at the turn of the year, if it helps.

Tech forum is another good idea.

Buy/Sell/Trade is good too. Vbulletin has a mod out where you can leave rep just like ebay with comments and everything. It'll show your rep under your vbookie. It would be a good mod to add so you aren't stuck with a feedback thread sticky that is 100 pages long. I can link you up a forum thats about the size of Spurtalk with heavy trading so you can see how it works if you are interested.

2centsworth
10-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks.

Anything else?

--K.E.
if by arcade you mean dominoes, chess, and poker I'm down.

other forums: I've been waiting for a buy/trade/promote forum. I think that would be an excellent idea!

Tech- I would browse it, but probably wouldn't understand most of it.

Spanish only- I would give it a shot.

MMA Forum- Give them (it's like 3-4 guys) their own forum, but where would you put the other sports? I'm a huge boxing fan and occassionally a few of us post in the other sports forum. Also, boxing vs MMA is good for a 100 or so post a month.

Music etc..- That is the club.

Shelly
10-25-2007, 10:53 AM

No, I wouldn't play. Banner ads don't bother me.

I would read.

No, but how liable will y'all be for this? I'd hate for someone to get ripped-off and then try to blame you because you allowed the posting on your site. Does that make sense?

No habla Espanol

n/a

Agree

Anything else?

--K.E.[/QUOTE]

desflood
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
MMA Forum- Give them (it's like 3-4 guys) their own forum, but where would you put the other sports? I'm a huge boxing fan and occassionally a few of us post in the other sports forum. Also, boxing vs MMA is good for a 100 or so post a month.
There may be a whole 6 or 7 of us now :lol

I like the idea of a separate UFC/Boxing forum, in addition to the "Other Sports" forum. I do like having music in The Club, though. And the idea of a Spanish forum doesn't sound too bad.

Evan
10-25-2007, 10:58 AM
MMA - should I just re-name the "Other Sports" forum MMA? Set up a new forum?.

I think a new forum would be fantastic for MMA. I visit a lot of MMA forums and to be honest this is one of the better MMA forums around. A solid group of people here that just like talking MMA without a lot of the flame wars. Pretty darn unique!

Shelly
10-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Oh, and I agree with Melmart about what kind of avatars and sigs can be posted. I turn off the sigs, but I like avatars and some of them are NSFW or for chitlins lurking nearby.

dougp
10-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I'd mind, only in the sense that it'd increase the probability of the site getting banned at my job. It's a nice idea, but I want to be selfish and be able to browse at work!

Yes, I know I've pestered you in the past about this, and it'd come off as a good forum, and being helpful.

No, this will become a headache for you - check out http://forums.anandtech.com and http://www.hardforum.com and ARSTECHNA to see the problems they have with their FS/FT/WTB forum.

No, I think it'd be a very small group, much smaller than any of these other forums.

Consider a UFC/MMA forum, and keep "Other Sports"

I think this is great in the forums, as is.

Anything else?
Yah, if you do go with a Tech Forum, I'd like to be able to moderate it and do stickies and such - entirely up to you though, but it'd probably be my 2nd forum I visit after the SAS forum.

Thanks, Kori! :clap

dougp
10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I would like to see the board formatted for elective cell phone viewing. It would have to be a no picture text driven system.
That's possible, if Kori is interested in it, I could give her the name of someone who will set it up and host it for $15/year for her.

2centsworth
10-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Consider a UFC/MMA forum

that will get you killed by the MMA guys. I can already see steam coming out of Evan's ears.

Slomo
10-25-2007, 11:39 AM
That's possible, if Kori is interested in it, I could give her the name of someone who will set it up and host it for $15/year for her.Could you PM me some details, because I don't think it's that easy.

LEONARD
10-25-2007, 11:41 AM
MMA Forum- Give them (it's like 3-4 guys) their own forum

lol...I'm going to start calling you the "MMA Minimizer"...3 or 4??

Maybe a "Combat Sports" forum for MMA, boxing, etc...

2centsworth
10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
lol...I'm going to start calling you the "MMA Minimizer"...3 or 4??

Maybe a "Combat Sports" forum for MMA, boxing, etc...
Stop acting like MMA isn't a fad.:lol

see Kori, that's a taste of what it's like. BTW, no sports fan should miss Cotto vs Mosley.

LEONARD
10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Stop acting like MMA isn't a fad.:lol

see Kori, that's a taste of what it's like. BTW, no sports fan should miss Cotto vs Mosley.

:dizzy

Evan
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
An entire combatsports forum sounds good to me.

2centsworth
10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
I would be in more favor of a seperate MMA fourm and keeping other sports.

Spurminator
10-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Probably wouldn't play them very often, but when I do, I don't care about ads.

Not very often.

Yes.

No.

Sounds like a good idea, but I wouldn't frequent that forum.

This is a tough call because I like that the Club is just a random mix of topics, and you lose a lot of potential topics by creating a Music/Movie/TV forum. I think a separate music forum would invite a lot more in-depth discussions but I'm not sure it's necessary unless The Club just became over-run with Music threads.

spurster
10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes to Tech Talk and Arcade.

Evan
10-25-2007, 01:44 PM
By the way

MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts

biba
10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I would try some. No.

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff No

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of course Maybe

Spanish Only - self-explanatory No

I'd like music by its own.

Anything else? A new forum exclusively for Timvp and Whott to argue as long as they want.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2007, 02:36 PM

Thanks.

Not really, but I wouldn't mind it

Definitely! Have been bailed out by people in this forum many times, so a hell yes on this one!

I wouldn't have much use for it really

well, I really don't see much point in arguing for this one now seeing as how there so much opposition to the idea. However, I will say that most people are completely missing the point here. This forum wouldn't be only for those who don't speak english well, but also for those that don't speak it at all.

I wouldn't mind if you renamed the Other Sports forum MMA, but I certainly hope that if you do that you create a "Soccer forum" for us displaced football fans

Should stay in the Club

T Park
10-25-2007, 03:17 PM
1. I would frequent, and I applaud the use of banners. Its great to see the site being open to breaking even finally, unlike some of these jerks who are opposed to it.

2. Yeah would be cool.

3. Eh, not too hot on the buy'trade thing.

4. Sounds great for our foreign posters who feel more comfortable posting stuff. welcome addition IMO :tu

5. Eh, sure, but no one visits the "other sports" forum anyways, it would be great though if the Golf, Nascar, and what not fans posted more often.

6.Seems ok to be in the Club, but if it helps out around here? Im for it.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 03:20 PM
well, I really don't see much point in arguing for this one now seeing as how there so much opposition to the idea. However, I will say that most people are completely missing the point here. This forum wouldn't be only for those who don't speak english well, but also for those that don't speak it at all.

I agree that most people missed the point. And just FYI, even if 90% of people here said they were against it, it doesn't mean it won't happen. It's not a "majority rule" situation. I was just interested in some feedback.

polandprzem
10-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I agree that most people missed the point. And just FYI, even if 90% of people here said they were against it, it doesn't mean it won't happen. It's not a "majority rule" situation. I was just interested in some feedback.

Ohh damn :pctoss it's gonna happen ...

We are doomed!

Spurminator
10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I might actually use the Spanish forum to brush up on mine... Could be educational.

T Park
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Wouldn't hurt for me either.

Helps with the communication between me and my friend's parents as well.

velik_m
10-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Thanks.

No. And i don't like ads.

Probably.

No.

No, i don't speak spanish.

No and no.

Leave it in club.

Anything else?

i would like for "NBA news central" to be renamed into "Basketball News central"

--K.E.

JMarkJohns
10-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Can't say I'd play, but I have at a few other forums. I'm just not a gamer. As far as banner ads, not at all. I mod at a site that has a loop of banner ads.

Doubtful

Doubtful

How do you say "doubtful" in spanish?

I don't follow non-basketball, football, baseball, college enough to say I'd post often for my vote to be of worth in the matter.

I like The Club the way it is. Little bit of everything.

As a whole I don't think the site can get much better. You have all the sports, you have general discourse and you have the absurd with the Troll forum. The gamers lounge isn't a bad idea, though. Worth looking into, anyways.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 04:05 PM
And i don't like ads

Nobody likes ads, but I can't imagine continuing to have to improve the server (and now maybe get a second server) every year as the forum grows and grows. At some point, you have to either cut down on some features, or at least put a dent in some of the costs. Even if we had ads in the arcade, we wouldn't come close to breaking even - that's why I said a baby step closer.

i would like for "NBA news central" to be renamed into "Basketball News central"

Done.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2007, 04:14 PM
You should make all the threads bilingual.

Just to piss of the neocons.

I saiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

Evan
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
It all depends on what kind of ads a site uses really. If its simple text or single image ads you won't even notice.

If its animated with or without audio its awful and intrusive. A few clickable ads here and there makes a big difference as server cost is a fortune on high traffic sites.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 04:20 PM
It all depends on what kind of ads a site uses really. If its simple text or single image ads you won't even notice.

If its animated with or without audio its awful and intrusive. A few clickable ads here and there makes a big difference as server cost is a fortune on high traffic sites.

I already mentioned I believe that, if anything at all, they would be static ads. I would never put pop-ups, animation or flash ads on the site. And I don't plan on putting ads in the Spurs forum.

I just don't know if people realize how huge the SpursTalk database is now. We are at the point that we need a second server or a different system soon.

So, should I pay $1000 a month out of my pocket? Should I cut back on features on the site? Or should I put up a static ad that people would barely notice in a subforum?

No need to answer those questions :lol

1Parker1
10-25-2007, 04:24 PM

I don't people are saying they don't want it (at least not me), they're saying they don't speak spanish so they probably wouldn't visit it. I mean, would you visit the French forum? :lol

Evan
10-25-2007, 04:26 PM
I already mentioned I believe that, if anything at all, they would be static ads.

Which for frequent users they won't even notice them anymore.

I just don't know if people realize how huge the SpursTalk database is now. We are at the point that we need a second server or a different system soon.

To be honest I am always surprised how fast the site loads considering the traffic.

So, should I pay $1000 a month out of my pocket? Should I cut back on features on the site?

And then if something goes wrong you can shell out $500 in a heartbeat paying someone to help fix things if an upgrade goes wrong.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 04:27 PM
And then if something goes wrong you can shell out $500 in a heartbeat paying someone to help fix things if an upgrade goes wrong.

Luckily I have Slomo/Mitja to fix things for free when they go wrong :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-25-2007, 04:42 PM
I'd say the only new forum should be TechTalk.

dougp
10-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Kori, have you ever considered putting in donation stuff, or perhaps putting in Google ads, and offering memberships to remove them?

I know that'd defeat some of the purpose you've built up for ST, but if it's costing you too much, it should be considered. Or perhaps entering sometype of sponsorship with a place like Rackspace?

Just ideas - I don't want to see you and LJ suffer ...

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Kori, have you ever considered putting in donation stuff, or perhaps putting in Google ads, and offering memberships to remove them?

We take donations from time to time. I wouldn't do the membership for ad removal thing.

Just ideas - I don't want to see you and LJ suffer ...

We aren't suffering. There's just a limit on how much I want to pay out of pocket. $500/month .. not bad. $1000/month .. eh. More than that, not really.

Especially when all day I get to answer PM's like this...

Are you fucking serious??? Youre saying that I did most of the cussing?? Again are you fucking serious, Are you blind. Im not being sarcastic here, Im ACTUALLY ASKING YOU ARE YOU BLIND. Look at the topic and tell me who started it.

Having a password on the Troll forum is violating my civil rights. Is there someone higher than you I can talk to about this?

You really are a dumb fucking bitch. Havent' you heard of freedom of speech?!

:lmao

ShoogarBear
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Good Lord.

2centsworth
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Especially when all day I get to answer PM's like this...

those PMs had me rolling :lol :lol :lol :lol

Spurminator
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Can we have a Kori's PM forum? That could be fun.

easjer
10-25-2007, 05:04 PM
O.M.G.

Those PMs are marvelous. Simply marvelous.

dougp
10-25-2007, 05:05 PM
You need a PM of the week thread ... wow, those are terrible.

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
You need a PM of the week thread ... wow, those are terrible.

Those are just from today :drunk

dallaskd
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
YES! change the other sports forum to the mma/boxing or just mma forum. the whole other sports forum is mostly all mma.

dallaskd
10-25-2007, 05:15 PM
if by arcade you mean dominoes, chess, and poker I'm down.

other forums: I've been waiting for a buy/trade/promote forum. I think that would be an excellent idea!

Tech- I would browse it, but probably wouldn't understand most of it.

Spanish only- I would give it a shot.

Music etc..- That is the club.

There's a good number of mma posters. But I think it might be better to include boxing in there too.

Rack The Trolls!
10-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Quote:Originally Posted by MavTalker
How about a "Fire Pop" and "trade Manu" forum? It will cut down on many unwanted topics the first time the spurs lose 2 straight games!

How about a Troll Forum?

Oh, wait . . .

How many topics do you think we can take when the Spurs lose? Send 5 but the other 95? send to the recycling bin forum

TxJudsonRocketTx
10-25-2007, 05:24 PM
1. No

Tech Talk - Yes, would probably increase my posting by 10x. Tech stuff currently gets pushed behind all of the Pit bull mauling stories and weird news

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - Yes

Spanish Only - No

Music - Agreed Music, TV, and Movies all work fine in the Club

MaNuMaNiAc
10-25-2007, 05:25 PM
There's a good number of mma posters. But I think it might be better to include boxing in there too.Give me a break! What about football??

ploto
10-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Is there someone higher than you I can talk to about this?

I needed a laugh!

cornbread
10-25-2007, 05:48 PM
There's a good number of mma posters. But I think it might be better to include boxing in there too.
Isn't that how Yahoo Sports has it set up now? I think an MMA/Boxing forum is a great idea.

SequSpur
10-25-2007, 05:52 PM
1. If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section? Hell no.

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff YES!

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of course YES!

Spanish Only - self-explanatory Hell no,this is America. We got enough got damn foreigners here.

MMA - should I just re-name the "Other Sports" forum MMA? Set up a new forum? What the hell does MMA mean?

Music - I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me. Club.

Anything else?

mouse
10-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Edited to appease jackseven

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 06:27 PM
The last thing they need is for one of their favorite websites to turn into a huge rat maze they have to go though to find that small piece of cheese they need while on their lunch break at work.

I agree with you. Recently I even said that I would like to reduce the number of forums, not increase the number. That's why I made this thread, because so many people have been asking me if I can add this and add that. I wanted to know what people think.

Thanks for your 2 cents.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Maybe.

Yes

Yes

No. Speak English, it's America

Keep it in the other sports section

Keep it in the club

kingsfan
10-25-2007, 06:36 PM
it depends on the games but probably and ads are fine

Great idea I think, it would give people like myself who are technically challenged to learn a lot and then maybe I could get mouse to answer my questions without him ignoring my phone calls :depressed

Don't care one way or the other
I never thought I'd say this but I agree with sequ :bang

Then where would we talk about soccer + tennis?

Agreed, it's fine there.

mouse
10-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Edited to appease jackseven

Shelly
10-25-2007, 06:42 PM
However, I vote for Kori to add her own personal "Dumb PMs I get daily" forum! :tu

ShoogarBear
10-25-2007, 06:47 PM
I actually would keep a Site Technical Issues forum separate from the Tech Talk forum. Site Technical Issues should be specific stuff related to the running of the board, outages, configuration, etc. Sure it would be low-traffic, but you'd want that section to be completely no-nonsense.

polandprzem
10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Gotta Q

Kori will the vbooks be 'refreshed'?
I mean the start of a season 500$ and more activity. More bets. ???

jackseven
10-25-2007, 07:35 PM

So it's guaranteed then. Nice.

Thanks.

Thank You.

I would play tetris off and on. I like banner ads and pop-ups. They make me aware of existing products and offers that might be relevant to my interests.

I might glance in some of them.

Maybe a quick browse biweekly.

This is a stellar idea. You just have to be very careful of setting out the guidelines, restrictions, and medium and fine print.

This one is shaky but has tons of potential.

Rename other sports forum.

This is basically the club already. Since the club is a homogenous area, you create a few specialized topics such as these and it might become confusing for where to post what.

Anything else?

Yes, do something with this damn forum. The overwhelming majority of people in here respect you for providing a good place to discuss topics and everything else you do for them. Its a waste not to think bigger with Spurstalk.com and you're not cheating anyone or selling out if you make money off the forum. I don't see how it hurts anybody if there are links to other places, offers, or advertisements.

For the people that bitch like Mouse and Mookie about "selling out" what the hell do they know. Mouse's game has been weak for years and now he doesn't even know what he's about on the Internet. Mookie is a guy best known for having a bowl haircut.

I don't mind the individualized team forums. Some people like to just see topics on your their own team. I think there should be a few more forums and then some services like you mentioned and then maybe some others. A consumer review section of stores, restaurants, and products would be awesome. Contests would be cool to - like a weekly NFL pick'em where it's sponsored and the winner gets prizes.

Granted, the server costs would be huge and installing some of these ideas and possibly links to other pages while keeping aesthetics is a ton of ground work, but if you implemented the right system ,Spurstalk.com could become a mecca of sorts where sports minded people are driven here, but then can discuss other topics and gather other useful information from the same website without having to spend valuable time surfing for other information.

Two other suggestions I just thought of are a Cowboys forum and taking out a lot of the flesh or wierd imagery in the icons and signatures. Sometimes I can't read a post because I'm in public. Also, a block of pure box ads at the bottom of the main page would be cool to see sales and other websites that might be appealing. I'm always looking for NFL apparrel at decent prices.

--K.E.[/QUOTE]

mouse
10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I actually would keep a Site Technical Issues forum separate from the Tech Talk forum. Site Technical Issues should be specific stuff related to the running of the board, outages, configuration, etc. Sure it would be low-traffic, but you'd want that section to be completely no-nonsense.

So how do we access this forum to see why the board is down? :lmao

Whottt.
10-25-2007, 07:43 PM
For the people that bitch like Mouse

If you think mouse is the only one who bitches then you must be new to ST :lmao

dallaskd
10-25-2007, 07:47 PM

jackseven
10-25-2007, 07:47 PM
If you think mouse is the only one who bitches then you must be new to ST :lmao

First of all that wasn't that funny. Second of all you didn't need another alias to post that. And c if you look at what I wrote, it said people like Mouse which implies more than one.

Create a new alias that says no game. I'd get a kick out of that.

mouse
10-25-2007, 08:52 PM
First of all that wasn't that funny. Second of all you didn't need another alias to post that. And c if you look at what I wrote, it said people like Mouse which implies more than one.

Create a new alias that says no game. I'd get a kick out of that.

Why would you waste your long winded post to kori about her site with a cheesy insult? You just lost all credibility. You got game meet me in the troll forum. This guy must be some sort of Web Zar so with that said I will delete my previous comments out of respect for his greatness.

T Park.
10-25-2007, 08:54 PM
My take on all this.........

I am not one to toot my own horn but I have been surfing since 1995 (I was late to the www) and I have seen all kinds of things happen. One thing websites do that gets my goat is they make to many forums. It's hard enough for a person on the www to actually visit all the websites he or she likes to see on a daily or weekly basis. The last thing they need is for one of their favorite websites to turn into a huge rat maze they have to go though to find that small piece of cheese they need while on their lunch break at work.

What I mean is I have been to websites that have more forums than I have screen names.

They have...........................

Cooking forums
Collage Sports forums
Fun and Games Forums
Movies and night life forums
NFL forums
NBA forums
NCAA forums
MLB forums
strange news forums
Tech forums
Gamer forums
Politics forums
Introduce yourself forums
What do you think about us give us feed back forums
Religion forums
weight watchers forums
Hockey forums
Soccer forums
self help forums
buy and sell forums
find a job forums
Arts forums.................ect...

must I go on? I think you get my point?

Now don't get me wrong! you can have all the forums you want, what bothers me is this.........

Lets say I make a topic about Tom Cruz "does he eat pork?" and here is what happens......The topic gets moved to the cooking forum, now as we talk about Tom Cruz I happen to mention he will vote for Hillary Clinton, now the topic gets moved to the Politics forum. While in the same topic now in the politics forum, I asked another poster what team Tom Cruz roots for? Since he is a huge Baseball fan it gets moved to the MLB forum. Then another poster says yes he loves baseball but he wont eat a hot dogs due to his religion. What religion is that? topic gets moves to the religion forum and there another poster says "Tom may not eat Hot dogs but he has a great Soybean burger recipe" and the topic ends up back in the cooking forum where it all began.
my 2 cents

Thats some good weed you got! :lmao

LaMarcus Bryant
10-25-2007, 08:56 PM

Thanks.

Anything else?

--K.E.

1) Rarely/Sometimes. No I would not mind.
2) I think its unnecessary. Music, tv, entertainment is just about all I post about/respond to in The Club, so..

Pimp my Banner
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Well then you may want to add the tech forum and remove the Technical Issues forum.

add another cool forum and get rid of a non popular forum. You can have different forums like you have now, It's when certain topics get moved around to the point no one knows where to post a topic about Tim Duncan has a new CD out and is going to promote it with his new cookbook at his favorite church during the 08 elections.
where would that topic best be placed?

People will always talk about music and movies no matter what forum they are in. So if you want to know where to download a cool Rap CD you may as well merge it with the tech forum since they will ask how to burn it to CD using Nero.

Then Tpark will come in and tell us we are all going to hell for downloading music and it may end up in the religious forum. But chances are I will run some fresh 2008 smack on his Funnel cake eating ass and it will eventually end up in the Troll forum :lmao

I have to agree with some of this.

T Park
10-25-2007, 09:12 PM
fuckin mouse.

Create your own names and stop copying others you out of work fuck.

Leetonidas
10-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Honestly, probably not.

Tech Talk - computers and other geek stuff [Sure]

Buy/Sell/Trade/Promote - nothing illegal, of course [Definitely]

Spanish Only - self-explanatory [No]

MMA - should I just re-name the "Other Sports" forum MMA? Set up a new forum? [Meh...]

Music - I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me. [Nah, I think it needs a forum actually]

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-25-2007, 09:22 PM

mouse
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
fuckin mouse.

Try to stay on topic and stop embarrassing ST and Kori

Shelly.
10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
fuckin mouse.

Does it really matter how many forums Kori makes if people like Tpark are going to ruin every topic?

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Gotta Q

Kori will the vbooks be 'refreshed'?
I mean the start of a season 500$ and more activity. More bets. ???

Yes, everyone will be starting over with $500 next week.
There will be bets for every Spurs game and NFL game thereafter (as usual). Plus some other bets here and there.

T Park
10-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Try to stay on topic and stop embarrassing ST and Kori

Get a fuckin job, and stop using my goddamn screen name.

Leetonidas
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Get a fuckin job, and stop using my goddamn screen name.
http://www.viscerotica.net/pictures/commentary/nou.jpg

marini martini
10-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Spanish Only - self-explanatory [No]

I would love Spanish only, if you had the translation in English under the post :toast

Mavs08
10-26-2007, 08:29 AM
fuckin mouse.
you out of work fuck.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2024829&posted=1#post2024829

whottt
10-26-2007, 08:44 AM
I don't get everyone voting against the Spanish forum...I guess Slomo made the best argument against it....

But to me it's a matter of...just because you can't read Spanish, doesn't mean we shouldn't have one...

The fact is there are obviously a ton of people on this board that speak Spanish...and they would use that forum.

I know why people in America aren't crazy about the idea of a Spanish forum, but the fact is, a lot of the Spanish speakers on the board, have nothing to do with that...this board is bigger than just an American board...

I know...Mexican Nationals living in America...you mofos need to learn to speak some fucking English. One country...one nation. A house divided etc...

But that really has nothing to do with a Spanish forum on this board...the Spanish forum on this board has to do with the fact that there are a ton of Argies and probably a few Spaniards on this board...

Slomo made the best argument against it, when he said that some of these guys are very knowledgable posters and the addition of a Spanish forum might deprive the main forums of their insight...

I don't think that'll be a problem though, they undoubtedly have Spanish basketball forums they frequent already, and they still come to SpursTalk to talk and read about the Spurs in English...and the addition of a Spanish forum here probably isn't likely to change that, since the majority of articles concerning the Spurs are still going to be in English.

In fact...it'll probably encourage more members from these countries to join up at ST and participate in the main forums.

I've got no problem with the Spanish forum...due to the large international membership of this board, featuring a great number of members from Spanish speaking countries, that have nothing to do with the language issues in America at this time.

I get as pissed off at the Argies rooting for the player over the team as much as the next guy...but they've been here a long time now, and some of them are major contributors and sources of information.

For the record...I'd be in favor of adding a board in French and Slovenian as well, if she wanted to do it...because we have a lot of members from France and Slovenia as well....

I don't think it'll keep them from participating on the main forums...if they didn't want to participate in English speaking forums...they wouldn't have become members at ST in the first place.

Phenomanul
10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't get everyone voting against the Spanish forum...I guess Slomo made the best argument against it....

But to me it's a matter of...just because you can't read Spanish, doesn't mean we shouldn't have one...

The fact is there are obviously a ton of people on this board that speak Spanish...and they would use that forum.

I know why people in America aren't crazy about the idea of a Spanish forum, but the fact is, a lot of the Spanish speakers on the board, have nothing to do with that...this board is bigger than just an American board...

I know...Mexican Nationals living in America...you mofos need to learn to speak some fucking English. One country...one nation. A house divided etc...

But that really has nothing to do with a Spanish forum on this board...the Spanish forum on this board has to do with the fact that there are a ton of Argies and probably a few Spaniards on this board...

Slomo made the best argument against it, when he said that some of these guys are very knowledgable posters and the addition of a Spanish forum might deprive the main forums of their insight...

I don't think that'll be a problem though, they undoubtedly have Spanish basketball forums they frequent already, and they still come to SpursTalk to talk and read about the Spurs in English...and the addition of a Spanish forum here probably isn't likely to change that, since the majority of articles concerning the Spurs are still going to be in English.

In fact...it'll probably encourage more members from these countries to join up at ST and participate in the main forums.

I've got no problem with the Spanish forum...due to the large international membership of this board, featuring a great number of members from Spanish speaking countries, that have nothing to do with the language issues in America at this time.

I get as pissed off at the Argies rooting for the player over the team as much as the next guy...but they've been here a long time now, and some of them are major contributors and sources of information.

For the record...I'd be in favor of adding a board in French and Slovenian as well, if she wanted to do it...because we have a lot of members from France and Slovenia as well....

I don't think it'll keep them from participating on the main forums...if they didn't want to participate in English speaking forums...they wouldn't have become members at ST in the first place.

Well said! :tu

Some of the cultural xenophobes in here need to chill out.

Cartman
10-26-2007, 09:05 AM
If TPark does not comply with these new rules he will have to suck on my balls!

Phenomanul
10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
1) If SpursTalk had a built-in arcade section, would you play the games there? Would you mind if there were banner ads in that section?

Yes, I would play and no, I probably wouldn't mind the banners....

(epecially if they helped shoulder the burden of operating this site)... The way I see it, if banners affected certain posters, then they shouldn't visit the gamer's forum.

Sure why not

Like others have said, if combined with the the Tech Talk forum; it may help simplify things

Sure... excellent idea.

Just leave that one as is... every now and then we talk about soccer, tennis, rugby or 'other sports' in there (go figure :p: )

Music: I think music, tv, entertainment should stay in the Club, but maybe that's just me.
I agree.

Anything else?

1) So that all of these forums don't dilute the main course. They can all be bundled under the same link that then redirects them where they want to go.
Perhaps under the title of "Miscellaneous Forums and Links". For that matter the "Other Sports" Forum and the Fantasy League Forums could fall in there so that they weren't an eyesore for you any more. :spin Again, this way the Main Forums would still be in plain sight as we opened SpursTalk.com

2) Perhaps a page that lists all SpursTalk members and ranks them by their post count. Kind of like a "Hall of Members".... Maybe even a "Poster of the Month Award"...

3) Remember that link to the e-push-pin map that had many of the members locales? That could also fall in the "Miscellaneous Forums and Links" section

Slomo
10-26-2007, 12:44 PM
2) Perhaps a page that lists all SpursTalk members and ranks them by their post count. Kind of like a "Hall of Members".... Maybe even a "Poster of the Month Award"...Excellent idea, so I went ahead and did it right away.

On the top menu bar select "Members" then click on the word "Posts" above the column with the number of posts.

Et Voila!

Of course the fact that it has always been like that helped a lot :tongue

Phenomanul
10-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Excellent idea, so I went ahead and did it right away.

On the top menu bar select "Members" then click on the word "Posts" above the column with the number of posts.

Et Voila!

Of course the fact that it has always been like that helped a lot :tongue

Well then.... color me silly. :downspin:

I never noticed that. Thanks Slomo.

dougp
10-26-2007, 01:34 PM
What about limiting people to the number of names they have? This could help with storage space and such.

Smackie Chan
10-26-2007, 02:07 PM
What about limiting people to the number of names they have? This could help with storage space and such.

Translation: I hate mouse with a passion!

You really think having 500 screen names uses more space? You can only be on one name at a time.
I did find one thing out after reading some of your posts,
that the only thing that seems to be an enigma about you is how you are able to go though life with your head up your ass 24/7.

Slomo
10-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Well then.... color me silly. :downspin:

I never noticed that. Thanks Slomo.No problem :tu, I love it when I don't have to do anything :)

dougp
10-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Translation: I hate mouse with a passion!

You really think having 500 screen names uses more space? You can only be on one name at a time.
I did find one thing out after reading some of your posts,
that the only thing that seems to be an enigma about you is how you are able to go though life with your head up your ass 24/7.
That comment wasn't even directed at you, let alone anyone in particular. It was a generalized comment because of all the troll accounts and that forum itself - if it was removed and the amount of accounts per person limited, it'd take a huge load off of the server. Wanna talk about a head up someone's ass, it'd be yours.