PDA

View Full Version : The Reason for JR Smith's Suspension

Obstructed_View
10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Sorry if a repost.

The next person that suggests a Beno for Smith trade gets a cyber-kick in the nuts. Not just no way, but...

Rocky Mountain News

URL: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5730482,00.html
Report: Nuggets' Smith spilled bubbly, tore woman's dress
By Alan Gathright, Rocky Mounatin News
October 24, 2007

Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith ran afoul of the law by pouring champagne on a woman at a nightclub, then briefly apologizing before spitting on her, shoving her and tearing her dress, court records show.

The Oct. 13 clash led the Nuggets to suspend Smith for the first three games of the season.

A 22-year-old Englewood woman told police she was at the DC10 club in Denver when Smith poured Moet champagne on her, according to a summons charging the guard with assault, destruction of property, and disturbing the peace.

As the club closed for the night, the woman said Smith "apologized to the victim. Then (he) changed attitude and spit on her, used his hand to push her face, and tore her dress," according to the police report.

The woman called police, who arrived to find her in the torn dress. She had no other apparent injuries, the report said.

Smith, 22, then told the officer "he was very (drunk and) doesn't remember everything" that happened at the club, according to the officer's notes on the summons.

Smith, who was suspended for "conduct detrimental to the team," has publicly apologized to his teammates without specifying his conduct. He is scheduled to appear in court Monday.

Two other female witnesses gave statements to police, but Denver County Court officials withheld those documents this afternoon, citing restrictions on evidence by the City Attorney's Office.

Reach on the phone today, the woman declined comment and directed a reporter to her attorney.

The summons was the latest in a string of missteps by Smith during the past 10 months.

He was suspended 10 games for his role in a brawl at Madison Square Garden on Dec. 16 and never looked comfortable on the court when he returned.

Coach George Karl benched Smith for the Nuggets' final playoff game May 2, citing a lack of professionalism and bad judgment.

Things turned tragic during the summer when Smith was injured and a friend was killed in a car accident in New Jersey. Smith was cited for failure to stop at a stop sign and improper passing.

With a heavy heart, Smith reported for training camp saying he had learned hard lessons from his past actions.

"My whole attitude towards life is different," he said Oct. 1. "I have newfound respect for everyone and everything because my life was almost taken from me ... I've changed the way I act. I've realized that it's not always about me and what I want to go right."

Reminded about those earlier comments Monday, Smith chalked up the latest incident as a learning experience.

"It's just a common mistake," he said. "Everybody makes mistakes ...I grow up as fast as I can. At the same time, I'm not trying to rush it."

Nuggets officials had moved quickly to punish Smith for the nightclub incident, not waiting until the guard's case was resolved in the courts.

"There's no question that it's a head-shaker for me," Karl said of Smith's latest [email protected]

or 303-954-5486

Copyright 2007, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Damn whats wrong with him? You'd think he'd try to fly under the radar for a while. :wtf

Kori Ellis
10-25-2007, 01:30 AM
As the club closed for the night, the woman said Smith "apologized to the victim. Then (he) changed attitude and spit on her, used his hand to push her face, and tore her dress," according to the police report.

F' that guy. I can't believe I wanted him on the Spurs. Who spits on a girl?!?!

THE SIXTH MAN
10-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Thats what I was thinking. What a punk kid he is.

some_user86
10-25-2007, 01:35 AM
"It's just a common mistake," he said.

WTF? This is a common mistake? I would hate to find out his definition of an uncommon mistake.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Kid's a moron, nothing whatsoever between his ears on or off the court.

I get a bad feeling about him, like he'll end up getting killed or going to jail, ala Eddie Griffin.

He says he's "learning" from his mistakes, but he clearly isn't.

Glad he never made it here, now we know why.

TDMVPDPOY
10-25-2007, 02:34 AM
his street creditability is sky rocketing

looks like this victim is going to get paid...im rich biatch

SenorSpur
10-25-2007, 02:40 AM
He'd better cut a rap record before his street cred plumments.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
10-25-2007, 03:09 AM
Kid's a moron, nothing whatsoever between his ears on or off the court.

I get a bad feeling about him, like he'll end up getting killed or going to jail, ala Eddie Griffin.

He says he's "learning" from his mistakes, but he clearly isn't.

Glad he never made it here, now we know why.

I know. I guess things do happen for a reason sometimes. We got lucky we missed the cut off, and got stuck with Barry.

We were spared a lot of potential trouble.

Buddy Holly
10-25-2007, 03:27 AM
F' that guy. I can't believe I wanted him on the Spurs. Who spits on a girl?!?!

Maybe her eyebrows caught fire.

mountainballer
10-25-2007, 04:19 AM
since he was smashed by the 5-9 Nate Robinson, he avoids fighting guys.

ShoogarBear
10-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Who spits on a girl?!?!http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/CharlesBarkley%20_photo.jpg

j.r. haider
10-25-2007, 05:49 AM
i really like the kid.

Axl Van Dam
10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
"FREAKIN' PSYCHO" JR Smith.

spurster
10-25-2007, 08:31 AM
He's mad because he wasn't traded to the Spurs.

jmard5
10-25-2007, 09:49 AM
WTF? This is a common mistake? I would hate to find out his definition of an uncommon mistake.

Exactly. People are either injured or harmed by those same "common mistakes".

Viva Las Espuelas
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
F' that guy. I can't believe I wanted him on the Spurs. Who spits on a girl?!?!http://z.about.com/d/crime/1/0/p/6/barkleyc.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/CharlesBarkley%20_photo.jpgdammit!

smrattler
10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Pop and RC prove luck on their side again. Since that last second mess-up of a trade attempt, Barry leads (providing best three point shooting) as the top 3 point shooting team to a title. JR just keeps sinking deeper. A couple of more of these screw up and he'll be out of the league soon I think.

I can't believe I wanted him on the team. I can't believe I felt sorry for him this summer after his friend died because I thought it might affect him so much that he wouldn't recover. Really hoped he'd pull out of it and straighten his life. Looks like he sure pulled out of it, "living it up" getting drunk and now spitting on girls. Nice.

T Park
10-25-2007, 03:20 PM
Whos to say the kid wouldn't have straightened up under the Spurs enviroment?

Hanging around with the likes of Carmello Anthony does not do good for the impressionable.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-25-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/CharlesBarkley%20_photo.jpg
:lmao

21GoSpursGo9
10-25-2007, 05:22 PM
:rolleyes :rolleyes Denver isnt exactly heaven. I'd still deal Beno for him. He wouldnt do that shit as a spurs player and if he did, his contract is cheap so it is low risk high reward so he would get cut. I would give a chance to a talented player with a cheap contract who will be surrounded by mature players. If he doesnt work out, cut his ass. It is not going to ruin the team. For the most part,I could give two shits about off the court issues as long as it doesnt affect on the court. Character is nice and all but I dont look at these player as role models.

polandprzem
10-25-2007, 07:28 PM
http://www.masterpiecepumpkins.com/Graphics/CharlesBarkley%20_photo.jpg

Owned :p: