PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Duncan best at basics

Kori Ellis
12-21-2004, 02:25 AM
Spurs' Duncan best at basics
By David DuPree, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-12-20-one-on-one_x.htm

Fundamentals are the lost art of the NBA. Doing things the most efficient way is not necessarily exciting, yet basic fundamentals are still the building blocks of great players.

In response to last week's question asking who were the most fundamentally sound post and perimeter players, Tim Duncan was a near unanimous inside choice while Richard Hamilton and Reggie Miller got a majority of the votes for perimeter players.

Every coach and scout I have talked to lately has agreed about Duncan and so do I. His footwork, the way he blocks out under the boards, his individual and team defense are all textbook. He once told me that trying to be fancy just doesn't work for him.

"I just embarrass myself when I try that stuff," he said.

So he's smart enough not to try it.

"Duncan is the epitome of fundamentals," said Anthony Williams of Dayton, Ohio. "Watching him work down low is like stepping back in time."

John Simmons of Tampa is also sold on Duncan as the star of his instructional video. "His passing is as good as any point guard and I have seen him run the break more than once this season," he said. "And perhaps most important is his maturity. He leads by example and has evolved into a vocal leader, but not the one who shouts to hear himself."

For the perimeter, I think Kobe Bryant is as good as it gets. With a sound fundamental base, he always has something he can turn to if his shot isn't falling. Miller's and Hamilton's movement without the basketball made them popular with readers.

"It seems that moving without the ball has become a lost art in the NBA," said Brian McHugh of Greenfield, Mass. "Fortunately, we still have Miller to show us there's a whole world of possibilities out there when you run your man ragged, bumping him off screens, elbows, and big feet, receiving a pass and turning to hit a big shot, all in one fluid motion."

Michael Fong of Germantown, Tenn., says that Hamilton not wasting dribbles is key. "He is the best at getting open and moving without the basketball, an invaluable skill in a league overrun by players who need the ball to be effective," Fong said.

Next week:

Can the Phoenix Suns' run-and-gun approach carry them to an NBA title — or is it still power, defense and a solid half-court game of teams such as Miami, San Antonio, Detroit and Minnesota that will win it all?

Readers can match wits with David DuPree by e-mailing him at [email protected]. Tell him your opinion on next week's question, then check Tuesday's newspaper for responses. Please include your name, city and state.

NavaD
12-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Hopefuly, they have finally realized! buy more duncan Jerseys,oops! I don't have one my self!

Solid D
12-21-2004, 03:06 AM
Others moving well without the ball:

AI, Michael Redd, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen, T-Mac, Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Grant Hill (when his legs are fresh), Alan Houston, Latrell Sprewell, Jim Jackson, The Mayor.

Up-and-comers: AK47, Jamal Crawford, Larry Hughes, LeBron James.

Rummpd
12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Kobe as his fundemental first choice at the outside?

Who agrees??? = very, very talented but he travels and palms all the time and never gets called. Thought Dupree would see through "star calls" - Nash would have been a much better choice or perhaps, Kidd as far as "fundamentals" on the perimeter.

Maddoc

sickdsm
12-21-2004, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't put Spree on that list, Wally moves w/out the ball better than he does.

I agree. Duncan is great at the fundamentals. He just does the basics excellent and doesn't worry about the flashy fads such as making free throws.

Solid D
12-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Okay, sickdsm, I'll replace Spree on the list with Udrih. :)

milkyway21
12-22-2004, 12:59 AM
those bastards @ USA Today forgot KG!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Duncanoypi
12-22-2004, 01:43 AM
who's KG?

GrandeDavid
12-22-2004, 03:48 AM
Someone who needs to improve at moving without the bong:

Mouse.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Kobe as his fundemental first choice at the outside?

Who agrees??? = very, very talented but he travels and palms all the time and never gets called. Thought Dupree would see through "star calls" - Nash would have been a much better choice or perhaps, Kidd as far as "fundamentals" on the perimeter.

Maddoc

kobe is about as fundamnetally sound as balsa wood is sturdy, you ever see him on an off shooting night? he just takes 35 stupid shots and maybe 9 go in.