PDA

View Full Version : Minutes come, go for patient Horry

Kori Ellis
12-21-2004, 04:45 AM
Minutes come, go for patient Horry
Web Posted: 12/21/2004 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA122104.1D.spurs.2ddd6407.html

Robert Horry hasn't spent much time reading about Karl Malone's hunting habits. Or his two-year dance with the Spurs.

Malone may have taken his job in Los Angeles, but Horry isn't losing any sleep over whether he also will take his minutes in San Antonio.

"You can't think about it," Horry said. "If we do get Karl, you just have to stay upbeat and positive and keep your game in shape for whatever may happen."

Horry has answered the call of late. He helped the Spurs pull away from New Orleans on Friday, making three 3-pointers in the final 13 minutes while taking eight rebounds. One night later, he joined Tony Parker and Brent Barry in jump-starting the team's second-quarter comeback against Golden State. In the two games, he totaled 11 points, 15 rebounds (seven offensive), three steals, two assists and one block in 39 minutes.

Malik Rose has played well enough to reclaim his role as the team's first big man off the bench, the job Horry held a good portion of last season. Horry now fills in when someone else runs into foul trouble or coach Gregg Popovich wants him for a specific matchup. Most of the 13.1 minutes he has averaged have come in the second half, many after the game's outcome has been decided.

"I'm not the only one in that situation," Horry said. "Brent Barry has fallen into that, too.

"When you're a veteran like Brent and I, you just stay positive and stay ready. You keep encouraging the guys in front of you because the better they play, the better it's going to be for the team."

With the Spurs' average margin of victory at 11.12 points — second-highest in the NBA — Popovich often has used at least 10 players, taking advantage of one of the deepest reserve units in the team's recent history.

Upset with his team's energy level against the Hornets early Friday, Popovich called on veteran bruiser Tony Massenburg, who has given the Spurs a lift from time to time despite playing limited minutes. Sean Marks, who played well during training camp before injuring his back, is on the injured list, but available.

The depth at the big positions has kept Popovich from having to overwork Tim Duncan, who is averaging a career-low 34.9 minutes.

The Spurs' ranks could grow even more.

Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, phoned Spurs officials a little less than two weeks ago to tell them Malone was planning to play this season and ask whether they remained interested in signing him. Manley called again last week to arrange a phone conversation between Malone and Popovich, but the two have yet to speak.

"Nothing is going to happen until Karl is ready to start contacting teams," Popovich said. "If he calls, we'll go from there. 'Till then, I'm not even thinking about it."

Spurs officials think Malone's swagger could benefit a locker room that lacks a vocal leader. He also effectively guarded Duncan in last season's playoffs.

Still, Popovich isn't expected to offer any guarantees on minutes to Malone, who has been recovering from surgery on his right knee. Popovich did the same to Horry when he first joined the team and again when he re-signed this summer.

Aware of the Spurs' interest in Malone, Horry said he kept an "open mind" about his role when deciding to come back for another season. So far, he's tried to make the most of his limited playing time. His field-goal, 3-point and free-throw percentages are all up from last season.

He also better understands the team's offense after spending much of last season learning the terminology.

"I might forget one every now and then because (Popovich) will pull it out of the archives," Horry said, "but I'm real comfortable with it."

For now, however, Horry doesn't see his job changing much. Rose will get most of the crucial minutes.

"And I'll be sitting there," Horry said, "waiting my turn."

Notebook: Barry has been named the honorary chairman of the city's Blue Ribbon Child Abuse Task Force. Barry's wife, Erin, is a member of the executive committee of the task force. Erin, a former child-case worker at Chicago's Cook County Juvenile Court, has spent the past six years working to improve living conditions for children in Chicago and Seattle.