PDA

View Full Version : Rockets benefit from Scola's waiting game on Spurs

biba
10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
This guy seems true. I miss him though I respect Spurs FO decision.

Oct. 26, 2007, 1:15AM
Rockets benefit from Scola's waiting game on Spurs

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5247334.html
By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Luis Scola knew he would play in San Antonio eventually, and tonight he will. Yet, as are so often the ways of fate, it will not be as he imagined.

He had seen himself next to Tim Duncan, taking passes from Tony Parker, playing with his friends and teammates on the Argentina national team, Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto.

He had watched the playoffs and saw the Spurs win and celebrate championships and thought of them as his team. Through five years of imagining and waiting, sometimes negotiating, he assumed his career would eventually reach San Antonio. He just never saw himself on the other team.

"I wanted to play there," said Scola, the Spurs' 2002 second-round pick who will face them tonight in the Rockets' final preseason game. "It was hard, because I was under contract. Of course, I was frustrated because I wanted to be there, but I understood the situation. There was nothing I could do but keep working, so that's what I did."

There was no question the wait grew tiresome, the rhetoric testy. By last summer, when the Spurs were unable to find a satisfactory trade of his rights or give an offer sufficient to get him to pay his buyout and leave Tau Ceramica of the Spanish league, one of his international agents offered the comment that would come to represent the impasse.

"In the country of liberty, Luis is a prisoner," Claudio Villanueva told Argentine newspaper La Nación. "The Spurs do not utilize him, neither do they want to yield him to another team, and they impede him to play in the NBA."

Small matter of Duncan
With Duncan manning Scola's position, the Spurs did not have the Rockets' need for Scola. But with Scola facing a deadline to let Tau know his intentions and with a deal to Cleveland falling through, the Spurs dealt the rights to Scola, along with Jackie Butler, for Vassilis Spanoulis, a 2009 second-round pick and cash.

For five years, part of him was in San Antonio, always keeping tabs on the team he thought he'd join.

"I have friends there," Scola said. "I still follow them, even though I'm on the other side on the Rockets. I enjoyed seeing them those years. I was happy when they won. Now it's a little bit different because I play for the Rockets. But I always followed them.

"I think I would have followed them anyway. I have nothing but good feelings for them."

With his first NBA preseason wrapping up, he has seemed to have been worth the wait. He has struggled at times with NBA officiating and the rules that are different or more emphasized (prohibiting defensive three seconds, hand checks and moving screens) than in FIBA. But he also has been a fine fit in the Rockets' movement-based offense next to Yao Ming.

Tonight would seem to be an opportunity to demonstrate that in a city that had heard about him the past five years.

""All I want to do is make Rockets people happy," Scola said. "This is only one game. We have 82 games to play. We have to play everybody else. My biggest challenge now is to take all the confidence the Rockets gave to me and give back. That's what my focus is on now. I don't think I have to go there to try to prove anything to anybody."

Waiting game ends

He was not sure if he would have that sort of perspective five years ago, or seven years ago when he began his professional career. But in all those years waiting and imagining, there was time to mature, too.

"Seven years is a lot, not only in basketball, but in life," Scola said.

It is long enough to find that sometimes life differs from expectations. Sometimes it exceeds them.

"I love basketball and the NBA was my dream," Scola said. "I used to dream I was playing for them and being a part of the success they had. I dreamed that, but I am very happy now."

[email protected]

ChumpDumper
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
!

biba
10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
!? (all is said?)

Scola Trade
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Tonight we'll start paying for letting Scola go to a division rival for nothing... book it! :bang

ChumpDumper
10-26-2007, 03:25 PM
!? (all is said?)Nothing more needs to be said.

urunobili
10-26-2007, 03:26 PM
he won;t score tonight... Matt Bonner will outplay him! book it!

duncan228
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I like it when ChumpDumper comes into a thread and gets right to the point. :)

whottt
10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Scola's been an ass in every interview given since the day he was drafted up until he wound up on the Rockets, ditto his agent...now he's all of a sudden Mr. Congeniality and champion of the human spirit...

Horseshit...he whined the night we drafted him, he whined on National TV during the Olympics...he whined and bitched and pissed and moaned and whine.

And everytime someone calls him on it you get 15 million Argies and dumbasses piling on...but the fact is, he's been an ass...and he's not on the Spurs for a reason...a reason in addition to his limited NBA playing ability. And if it was about money and he's such a great player...he'd be here and Bonner and or Oberto wouldn't.

GTF over it or take it to ClutchCity.net where you now belong...bandwaggoning player over the team trash.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
I like it when ChumpDumper comes into a thread and gets right to the point. :)totally different whenever you actually ask him a question.

nkdlunch
10-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Scola is the shit!

Holt's Cat
10-26-2007, 05:30 PM
You can't blame Scola, especially after the contract he signed. If the Spurs really wanted him he'd be in the Silver & Black. Time will tell if that was a wise decision.

We're rolling with what we have now. Udoka may very well be the coup of the summer (moreso than Scola for the Rockets). Perhaps Darius will be another.

Hemotivo
10-26-2007, 06:25 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80021

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Scola's been an ass in every interview given since the day he was drafted up until he wound up on the Rockets, ditto his agent...now he's all of a sudden Mr. Congeniality and champion of the human spirit...

Horseshit...he whined the night we drafted him, he whined on National TV during the Olympics...he whined and bitched and pissed and moaned and whine.

And everytime someone calls him on it you get 15 million Argies and dumbasses piling on...but the fact is, he's been an ass...and he's not on the Spurs for a reason...a reason in addition to his limited NBA playing ability. And if it was about money and he's such a great player...he'd be here and Bonner and or Oberto wouldn't.

GTF over it or take it to ClutchCity.net where you now belong...bandwaggoning player over the team trash.Could you post some of those times he acted like an ass? or are you just talking out of yours?

P.S. typical idiot whottt comment: "And everytime someone calls him on it you get 15 million Argies and dumbasses piling on" Go fuck yourself very much... :rolleyes

Cue the "homer" and "Manumaniac hates America" bullshit retorts...

whottt
10-26-2007, 09:20 PM
http://depokafe.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/argentina-flag2.jpg

mystargtr34
10-26-2007, 09:33 PM
hahahaah

T Park
10-26-2007, 09:46 PM
I rememeber Scola whining about being drafted in the second round on draft night.

I think I remember him whining about Buford calling him asking him why as a power forward he was such a shitty ass rebounder.

I mean the fucker averaged 4 a game in the EUROS!!

picnroll
10-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Buford's complaining seems to have worked. Scola has been a very good rebounder so far in the NBA.

Hemotivo
10-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Scola is with the Rockets right now.......

Holt's Cat
10-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Buford's complaining seems to have worked. Scola has been a very good rebounder so far in the NBA.

As long as he's facing the Spurs' 12 through 16th guys. Scola's fairly underwhelming and downright putrid defensively.

T Park
10-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Yeah against D Leaguers hes a rebounding machine.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.junkylife.com/junkyardsaint/wp-content/uploads/donkey_500h.jpg

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Bonner was just as good, at times better than Scola.

Yikes :lol

I don't know if thats good for Bonner or bad for Scola.

whottt
10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
http://met.open.ac.uk/group/cpv/fi/images/galtieri.jpg

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:30 PM
:lol man, could you be more of an ass?

what the fuck does Galtieri have to do with me?

weak whottt, very weak

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM
:lmao

Whottt has his greatness moments at times.

Hemotivo
10-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Galtieri?? WTF?

:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:33 PM
:lmao

Whottt has his greatness moments at times.hey T Park, quit acting like you got the joke, you wouldn't know who Galtieri was even if the dude was your father, chump

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:34 PM
hey T Park, quit acting like you got the joke, you wouldn't know who Galtieri was even if the dude was your father, chump

Look kid, don't get testy with me.

I didn't post anything.

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:35 PM
BTW, former president of Argentina. Get fucked.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Look kid, don't get testy with me.

I didn't post anything.your presence is annoying enough...

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
BTW, former president of Argentina. Get fucked.:lol Priceless, how's the google working out for ya?

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Priceless how you assume things.

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:38 PM
your presence is annoying enough

Theres the door kiddo, don't let it slap you on the ass on the way out.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Theres the door kiddo, don't let it slap you on the ass on the way out.What's the matter there TP, the forum not BIG enough for both us?... Not my fault :rolleyes

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:43 PM
What's the matter there TP, the forum not BIG enough for both us

Your the one getting all pissy at me just cause I laughed at Whottt.

Look in the mirror for the problems here.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Your the one getting all pissy at me just cause I laughed at Whottt.

Look in the mirror for the problems here.No one is getting pissy, I just know that you didn't have a clue who Galtieri was or what he did, and therefore don't have a clue why whottt put him up. So what you were laughing at I don't know

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I just know that you didn't have a clue who Galtieri was or what he did, and therefore don't have a clue why whottt put him up.

In our country its not nice to assume sir.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Anyway, I sense Kori is going to come in here and bust this party up. Better leave this thread alone... we could continue this in the trolls forum if you want T Park, god knows its entertaining watching you make a fool of yourself

T Park
10-26-2007, 10:58 PM
we could continue this in the trolls forum if you want T Park, god knows its entertaining watching you make a fool of yourself

Ya know theres things called books, dating, lives, instead of sitting here ya know.

Once again Im neither a troll nor a fool so no reason for me to go there.

whottt
10-26-2007, 11:02 PM
:lol man, could you be more of an ass?

what the fuck does Galtieri have to do with me?

weak whottt, very weak

I had no idea who it was...

I just googled the words maniac, argie and big ass homer, and that's one of the results that came back...

The other was Che...and everyone knows Che wasn't that much of an Argie homer. I didn't want to insult him.

T Park
10-26-2007, 11:04 PM
The other was Che...and everyone knows Che wasn't that much of an Argie homer

Che the communist was a lovely individual.

Hemotivo
10-26-2007, 11:07 PM

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:14 PM
I had no idea who it was...

I just googled the words maniac, argie and big ass homer, and that's one of the results that came back...

The other was Che...and everyone knows Che wasn't that much of an Argie homer. I didn't want to insult him.ah that's brilliant, bringing up immaterial bullshit to avoid the issue again whottt? how uncharacteristic of you... :rolleyes I seem to remember having this same discussion with you a few months back. We were stuck with Manu'sMagicalLeftHand and me arguing that all of Scola's teammates throughout his career have nothing but good things to say about him, and you arguing that he was an ass because of what a few articles wrote. I ask you again, which is the better indicator of his true character? his teammates or the press?

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Che the communist was a lovely individual.I quite certain you didn't have to google that one up TPark, kudos for that

T Park
10-26-2007, 11:16 PM
I ask you again, which is the better indicator of his true character? his teammates or the press

Well, Michael Vick's teammates stuck up for him, and he was an out and out piece of trash.

T Park
10-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I quite certain you didn't have to google that one up TPark, kudos for that

Thank you.

Even Spursdynasty knows who Che is.

whottt
10-26-2007, 11:20 PM
ah that's brilliant, bringing up immaterial bullshit to avoid the issue again whottt? how uncharacteristic of you... :rolleyes I seem to remember having this same discussion with you a few months back. We were stuck with Manu'sMagicalLeftHand and me arguing that all of Scola's teammates throughout his career have nothing but good things to say about him, and you arguing that he was an ass because of what a few articles wrote. I ask you again, which is the better indicator of his true character? his teammates or the press?

Scola himself in interviews...

I made these judgements from Scola's own words. Including a live fucking interview on tv during the Olympics.

And he was drafted in 2002, this forum wasn't even in existence at that time, and it has jumped several servers since...it's jumped at least 1 server since the Olympics...

You just have to take my word for it.

Teamates are not indicative of anything...a lot of Ron Artests teamates love him too...doesn't mean he isn't an ass.

I want you to tell me why I just decided to single Scola out years ago as an asshole...and everyone on the board can tell you I did that...before Oberto was even thought about as a Spur, I liked him and I didn't like Scola...I said Oberto would translate well to the NBA and Scola wouldn't...and on top of that Scola is an ass....and so's his agent.

I don't just decide to hate Spurs draft picks for no reason...

In fact, you won't find a single one of them I've trashed outside of Scola.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Well, Michael Vick's teammates stuck up for him, and he was an out and out piece of trash.you're comparing Michael Vick and Scola? how's your arm after that stretch?

whottt
10-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Thank you.

Even Spursdynasty knows who Che is.

Yeah but I don't think many people know he was an Argie...

The Argies damn sure don't go around advertising it either :lmao

And even fewer know that Manumaniac doesn't like him....at all.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:31 PM
Scola himself in interviews...

I made these judgements from Scola's own words. Including a live fucking interview on tv during the Olympics.

And he was drafted in 2002, this forum wasn't even in existence at that time, and it has jumped several servers since...it's jumped at least 1 server since the Olympics...

You just have to take my word for it.

Teamates are not indicative of anything...a lot of Ron Artests teamates love him too...doesn't mean he isn't an ass.

I want you to tell me why I just decided to single Scola out years ago as an asshole...and everyone on the board can tell you I did that...before Oberto was even thought about as a Spur, I liked him and I didn't like Scola...I said Oberto would translate well to the NBA and Scola wouldn't...and on top of that Scola is an ass....and so's his agent.

I don't just decide to hate Spurs draft picks for no reason...

In fact, you won't find a single one of them I've trashed outside of Scola.I've followed Scola's situation since he was drafted as well whottt, and aside from a few interviews where he showed himself discontent with the situation, nothing in there leads me to believe the man is an ass. You're asking me to take your word for it on something I'm almost positive your wrong about. However, in all honesty, I don't really have a problem with what you think about Scola, that's your prerogative.

Statements like this on the other hand "And everytime someone calls him on it you get 15 million Argies and dumbasses piling on..." push all the right buttons, get what I'm saying?

Spurs Dynasty 21
10-26-2007, 11:33 PM
They want him to be an ass just to justify the trade, it's the only way they can sleep at night

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah but I don't think many people know he was an Argie...

The Argies damn sure don't go around advertising it either :lmao

And even fewer know that Manumaniac doesn't like him....at all.
What's there to like? NBADan's posterboy was a cold blooded fucking murderer and a fucking crook! The fact that the left took one of his pictures and used it as propaganda is the biggest fucking tragedy in this. Now instead of people knowing the truth about him, they think he was some kind of freedom fighter... fucking laughable.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:35 PM
They want him to be an ass just to justify the trade, it's the only way they can sleep at nightget off my side... immediately

whottt
10-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Statements like this on the other hand "And everytime someone calls him on it you get 15 million Argies and dumbasses piling on..." push all the right buttons, get what I'm saying?

Dude....because I do get piled on by a ton of Argies every time. They've kind of cooled their jets...

But the fact if there are a lot of you Argies that are plain old fucking homers and don't give two shits about the Spurs except for the fact that Manu plays for them.

It's just the truth...

I'm not saying they are all like that...that's why I said 15 million instead of, every Argentine on the board.

It's funny because as a Spur fan I see this every time we get players from a new country...

When we got Hedo, there was this dude name Taruky...he could give two shits if the Spurs won or lost, as long as his guy got minutes, and he defended Hedo's choking ass right to the bitter end...and when Hedo was gone...so was he.

We lost Rasho and a ton of Slovenians jumped ship with him...

And some Argies have jumped ship to the Rockets because of Scola...

It's just funny when we see people like this and they have this national rooting interest vested in a team game that has nothing to do with National Team play. And they'd rather the Spurs lose and their guy have a prominent role than them win and their guy one the bench....And we see right through them...it's just funny. It just is.

And I don't think I've ever deliberately singled you out as one of them..you just get all offended every time I metnion it.

Spurs Dynasty 21
10-26-2007, 11:40 PM
get off my side... immediately

no one is playing sides kid :lol

but it's safe to say your social life must be dead if you worried about your online popularity :lol :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Dude....because I do get piled on by a ton of Argies every time. They've kind of cooled their jets...

But the fact if there are a lot of you Argies that are plain old fucking homers and don't give two shits about the Spurs except for the fact that Manu plays for them.

It's just the truth...

I'm not saying they are all like that...that's why I said 15 million instead of, every Argentine on the board.

It's funny because as a Spur fan I see this every time we get players from a new country...

When we got Hedo, there was this dude name Taruky...he could give two shits if the Spurs won or lost, as long as his guy got minutes, and he defended Hedo's choking ass right to the bitter end...and when Hedo was gone...so was he.

We lost Rasho and a ton of Slovenians jumped ship with him...

And some Argies have jumped ship to the Rockets because of Scola...

It's just funny when we see people like this and they have this national rooting interest vested in a team game that has nothing to do with National Team play. And we see right through them...it's just funny.I suppose you're right... in a way. Don't worry though whottt! you won't lose me! You had me at Argentinian NAZI! :smokin

whottt
10-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Anyway...I'm for starting a flame war by posting the picutre of Galtieri...it was just mean to be in good fun...

Allow me to start over with a true credit to Argies...

http://inspireaction.mindandmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/pele-photograph-c10104258.jpeg

Friends again? :tu

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
no one is playing sides kid :lol

but it's safe to say your social life must be dead if you worried about your online popularity :lol :lolPopularity is not my concern, keeping the discussion intelligent is, something that seems to go to the toilet everytime you enter a thread.

EDIT: I just realized I might be confusing you with another Spurs Dynasty, if so, my sincere appologies :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Anyway...I'm for starting a flame war by posting the picutre of Galtieri...it was just mean to be in good fun...

Allow me to start over with a true credit to Argies...

Friends again? :tuA true Argentinian heroe and credit to our people! :tu

whottt
10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Hey whatever happened to Manu'smagical left hand anyway? I liked him...he was a trip.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Hey whatever happened to Manu'smagical left hand anyway? I liked him...he was a trip.don't know, he's been MIA for some time now. Never actually met him, so couldn't really say

duncan7721
10-27-2007, 12:51 AM
I like it when ChumpDumper comes into a thread and gets right to the point. :)