PDA

View Full Version : with washington, bonner, are we still old?

td4mvp3
10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
from what i can tell, these two seem to maybe be something workable, particularly as role players. the manu/td/tp triumvirate are still relatively young, so is the age of the spurs still a complaint?

timvp
10-27-2007, 05:11 PM
It's the same team as last year plus Udoka, Washington and Mahinmi. I don't expect Washington or Mahinmi to get much action in the playoffs next year so yeah, the Spurs are older than they were last year.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
The addition Washington is a wash when you consider Beno's general uselessness.

Dump Beno and pick up a younger swingman with some potential; there will be little to complain about agewise. This could take awhile though. No real urgency. The old guys can still play and the pipeline players look like they are on schedule.

Darkwaters
10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
You also forget that last year we had James White and Jackie Butler on the team as well who have been cut since then. So we really haven't gotten younger...but we've picked up different young pieces that actually could play a role on the team sooner rather than later.

Darkwaters
10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Dump Beno and pick up a younger swingman with some potential; there will be little to complain about agewise. This could take awhile though. No real urgency.

You keep talking about Justin Bowen, but I know nothing about him. Could you give us a few sentences telling us what type of player he is? Strengths/weaknesses etc.

It looks like he could be a realistic option at some point if he really is as capable as you say.

Mr. Body
10-27-2007, 05:16 PM
I feel much better with Washington and Mahinmi on the team than Butler and White. It was patently apparent near the end of the year, hell, halfway through, that those two guys weren't going to amount to much. Wash and Mahin at least have some promise. Their attitudes are leagues better.

Walter Craparita
10-27-2007, 05:31 PM
The Spurs need to get young guys to play NOW with the vets (Horry, Finley, Duncan, etc). This way they get used to the post-season/competition and can carry it on imo. The idea of riding out this team and then replacing the majority all at once isn't that great.

E20
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
They only have like 2-3 players 25 and under. Everybody else is 30+. So yes, we are still old.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
You keep talking about Justin Bowen, but I know nothing about him. Could you give us a few sentences telling us what type of player he is? Strengths/weaknesses etc.

It looks like he could be a realistic option at some point if he really is as capable as you say.He is a 6'7" 210 lb small-school power forward who learned how to play the 2 and 3 last season. He was actually cut from the Toros in training camp, but was signed when one of our centers had a season-ending injury. He was always a decent defender and often used as a stopper. As the season wore on and the Toros were decimated by injuries, Bowen got a lot more time and got the green light on offense. His splits as a starter are pretty strong:

14 games
29,0 mpg
14.6 pts
.521 fg
.385 3pt
.697 ft
3.0 off reb
6.7 tot reb
1.4 ast
1.0 stl

He is a very high energy player and just makes things happen on defense and garbage. He needs to prove he can be consistent, especially with his jumper, and his ballhandling could use work. I'm a complete homer when it comes to this guy, but he is only 24 years old and I would love to see how he plays in the Spurs system.

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/toros_flyers_17.jpg

(It was affliate night in Fort Worth; that explains the NBA jerseys)

Bruno
10-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Spurs aren't old at PG : Parker is young and they have a 21 years old project on the roster. Vaughn isn't really old.
Spurs aren't old at PF/C with Bonner, Mahinmi and Splitter. Elson, Duncan and Oberto aren't really old.

The age concern for Spurs is at the SG/SF. Bowen, Finley and Barry are old. Spurs have only Udoka and Ginobili as below 35 swingmen. the MLE and draft picks will likely be spend on SG/SF next summer (especially if Washington stick with the team).

E20
10-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I think he meant about this current season's projected active/playoff roster.

Darkwaters
10-27-2007, 05:48 PM
The age concern for Spurs is at the SG/SF. Bowen, Finley and Barry are old. Spurs have only Udoka and Ginobili as below 35 swingmen. the MLE and draft picks will likely be spend on SG/SF next summer (especially if Washington stick with the team).

I think our first rounder gets spent on a wing next draft. Plus we might be able to ship in Sanikidze.

I wish we still had Giorgos Printezis. He might have been a nice piece to look at next summer. But with the extra second rounder we can likely ship in a few other wings to look at in training camp as well.

And who knows? There will be money to spend this offseason on a free agent and if Beno is waived/traded we might find a project in the NBDL as well this year.

We should be ok for the future. Especially with Udoka here now.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Here's another picture of Justin Bowen in the now-throwback Toros uniform.

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/toros-14ers_01.jpg

remingtonbo2001
10-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Who is this Justin Bowen character? I missed the conversation, please fill me in.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Just a swingman from the Toros I like and bring up in posts way too often.