PDA

View Full Version : What happens if Washington really is our backup PG?

Darkwaters
10-27-2007, 05:34 PM
When we all thought that Washington would simply be a casualty of training camp I felt I had a pretty good idea what the active roster would look like. Barry and Ginobili had proven that they could run the point together if necessary. So I simply assumed that Beno would get placed as inactive and Udoka would find his way to the active list (essentially the Barry/Gino combo would allow the Spurs to only carry 2 active PGs).

But what happens if Washington comes out firing on all cylinders and actually takes over the mantle as 2nd string PG?

Do we make Vaughn and Beno inactive to play Udoka?

Does Barry get booted off the active list? Especially considering his great preseason?

Obviously at first it will be a moot point. Vaughn and Beno are hurt and Horry probably won't make his way to the court for a little while.

But what happens when they're all healthy?

Mr. Body
10-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Vaughn moves to IR. Is Horry there? Maybe Horry.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I think Washington gets the backup minutes early in the season, and if he convinces the staff he's the man there, then they ship out Beno, slide Vaughn in at the third point (and typically inactive), and don't look back.

Dex
10-27-2007, 05:37 PM
If Washington is available to play and keeps this up, then Vaughn and Beno are expendable.

Keep Vaughn around and on the roster if possible, for veteran experience and practice fodder, if nothing else.

Trade Beno for a bag of chili cheese Frito's

E20
10-27-2007, 05:39 PM
If Beno were to be waived, you would have Vaugn and Wash fighting for the Backup PG spot. I expect Udoka to be on the active 13 man roster. I would be incredibly suprised if Barry were to be on the IR. It all comes down to picking two out of the three back up PG's and hopefully it will be Vaughn and Darius. When Horry comes back depending on which back up PG produces the best they'll get the spot. It's too early to tell who will stick and who will be waived or placed in the inactive list. For all we know Beno can make a turn around.

Darkwaters
10-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Haven't we been trying to do that for months already? Why do we succeed in trading him all of a sudden?

ChumpDumper
10-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Keep Vaughn regardless. He signed on to be the third point guard and ride the IR.

Darkwaters
10-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Keep Vaughn regardless. He signed on to be the third point guard and ride the IR.

Thats how I feel. Hes proven that he can hold this team together in case of injury or if your backup is a headcase. Plus he knows the system and has playoff and championship experience. I see no reason to discard him until something changes.

E20
10-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Haven't we been trying to do that for months already? Why do we succeed in trading him all of a sudden?
Have the Spurs seriously tried to shop him around in the past? I haven't heard much, like I've heard about the rumors and possible trades involving Barry. If worst comes to worst and Beno fails beyond imaginatiom Spurs waive him.

T Park
10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
You keep Vaughn around just for the good job he did last year in bailing the Spurs out from having to use shitfuck Udrih.

timvp
10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Using my crystal ball, I think that Vaughn is probably out for at least the first couple games. Beno is probably out a couple games as well. That means Washington will be the default backup point guard to begin the season.

If he plays well, I can see Pop giving him a shot to keep the job. Having Parker and Vaughn play less minutes early in the season won't hurt anything.

Also keep in mind that D-League doesn't start until late in November. The Spurs could opt to let Washington be the backup until D-League starts and then by that time Vaughn will be healthy enough to take over.

Washington faces long odds to become the backup but he faced long odds making the team, so I won't rule him out.

T Park
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
If Washington can keep playing smart ball, brings that defensive intensity, he brings alot of good stuff the table offensively. I like his jump shot particularly as well.

timvp
10-27-2007, 05:55 PM
If Barry wins the fourth swingman job and plays well in that role, Udoka could be placed on the inactive last from time to time if it comes down to it. Vaughn was on the inactive list at times last year. Between those two guys, the Spurs have options in case Washington continues to impress.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Assuming that this isn't a revisit of keeping Devin Brown in early 2003-04 only to release him once everyone got healthy, I'd frankly expect that the plan for Darius is to ship him out to Austin as soon as the D-League starts play. I would think that would change only if Darius plays exceptional ball in some early opportunities. Vaughn isn't likely to be unseated as the 2nd point guard, if only because he's got a ton of experience and plays good defense -- qualities that are right in the wheelhouse of what Pop seems to want in a backup point.

But I'd think on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, the 3 inactives will be Udrih, Vaughn, and Horry -- which might actually mean, as well, that Ian will be dressed for some part of the first week -- so Darius should get some chances early on to show whether he can actually play at this level. I would think that as the season progresses, we'll see Mahinmi, Washington and Udrih as the default choices for the inactive list.

remingtonbo2001
10-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Assuming that this isn't a revisit of keeping Devin Brown in early 2003-04 only to release him once everyone got healthy, I'd frankly expect that the plan for Darius is to ship him out to Austin as soon as the D-League starts play. I would think that would change only if Darius plays exceptional ball in some early opportunities. Vaughn isn't likely to be unseated as the 2nd point guard, if only because he's got a ton of experience and plays good defense -- qualities that are right in the wheelhouse of what Pop seems to want in a backup point.

But I'd think on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, the 3 inactives will be Udrih, Vaughn, and Horry -- which might actually mean, as well, that Ian will be dressed for some part of the first week -- so Darius should get some chances early on to show whether he can actually play at this level. I would think that as the season progresses, we'll see Mahinmi, Washington and Udrih as the default choices for the inactive list.

Good Take!

Solid D
10-27-2007, 06:35 PM
The backup PG for the Spurs typically draws the the last minute and a half or 2 min. of the 1st quarter and the first few minutes of the 2nd quarter. Then again the same pattern to close the 3rd quarter and first few of the 4th quarter. The first couple of games with Vaughn and Beno out, that role may fall to Darius.

Washington showed that he can finish quarters pretty well. He just needs to take care of the ball because that's what Vaughn does. Pop hates it when the Spurs don't finish each quarter well and that's when most teams step up the pressure and the intensity.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2007, 06:56 PM
He's also not likely to be bringing the ball up at the end of quarters. As long as he plays smart, minds his defense, shoots when he's open and lets Manu handle the ball he has a chance to stick.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-27-2007, 09:16 PM
No way does Udoka go on the IR at points during the season. Waive Beno.

exstatic
10-27-2007, 10:37 PM
The trade would be voided when he ate the Fritos, and we'd owe them a draft pick.

tmtcsc
10-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Asking a bit much aren't you ? Those are Chili AND Cheese Fritos.