PDA

View Full Version : Even if Washington plays great...

Kamnik
10-27-2007, 05:54 PM
I say find some minutes for Vaugn one way or another during the whole season and especially going toward playoffs.

We all seen a rookie PG implode a few seasons ago in the finals! :dizzy

Vaughn did his job last season and he can also do it at least this year. (no matter how basic it is)

I dont like how everyone here acts that Vaughn can be sent to Mars if Washington plays well to start the season.

He won being the backup PG last year even agaisnt all the odds. (age and not much talent-unlike u know who)

Show the man respect because he deserves it.
:toast

ChumpDumper
10-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Vaughn isn't going anywhere. The backup job is his to lose.

timvp
10-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Vaughn's job is pretty safe. He's basically the best third string point guard in the league. Unless Washington or Beno (:lol) played extraordinarily well, Vaughn will continue to be Pop's security blanket.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Vaughn defends well enough, is experienced, and seems to understand his limitations. All of those things seem to appeal to Pop in looking for a backup point guard, which is precisely why it's going to take something spectacular to move him out of the backup PG spot.

SenorSpur
10-27-2007, 06:39 PM
As some have already indicated, Washington will get a good look while Vaughn is out. However Vaughn has done nothing to warrant losing his spot as primary backup. But if Wash outplays him and earns it, so be it. I would love to see that.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2007, 06:58 PM
...which is precisely why it's going to take something spectacular to move him out of the backup PG spot.
Since Vaughn is technically the third point guard, I'd submit that spectacular is precisely what Pop is NOT looking for, and why Vaughn is so valuable in that role.

Bruno
10-27-2007, 07:15 PM
It will be interesting to see what Pop will do if Washington plays great at the start of the season.
The safe choice will be to wait one year with Washington and send him in Austin.
The upside choice will be to give the backup PG spot to Washington and to put Vaughn on the IL or at the end of the bench. If Washington choked during the playoffs, you can call back Vaughn. But will Vaughn be effective after a whole year without playing consistent minutes ?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-27-2007, 07:31 PM
What they said.

Vaughn will be the backup and Wash the 3rd stringer learning the ropes, unless Wash clearly blows Vaughn away and thus earns the backup job.

We just filled our most glaring need - a young backup PG to learn the ropes - happy times!

Now send Beno packing!

boutons_
10-27-2007, 07:37 PM
JV = 3rd PG?

He's obviously the backup, looking at the 07 playoffs. Washington and Beno are fighting for 3rd PG.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2007, 07:42 PM
JV = 3rd PG?

He's obviously the backup, looking at the 07 playoffs. Washington and Beno are fighting for 3rd PG.
Whatever his position is now, he wasn't brought to this team to be the backup. The Spurs exercised the option on Beno almost exactly a year ago, and they certainly didn't do that to keep him as the third point guard.

SequSpur
10-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Vaughn sucks.

smrattler
10-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I was happy with Vaughn as the probable backup.

If Washington can come in and earn minutes and keep Vaughn fresh for the playoffs, everybody wins. Even Washington. By next year he will have played a year with us, gotten some incredible experience, been through the playoffs with us and maybe earned a ring.

I knew Pop was a sucker for a hardworking, tough PG. You can tell he likes this guy.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Whatever his position is now, he wasn't brought to this team to be the backup. The Spurs exercised the option on Beno almost exactly a year ago, and they certainly didn't do that to keep him as the third point guard.

Even if that was the intent, it's clearly NOT the reality.

Darius Washington isn't on this roster to make Jacque Vaughn the 3rd PG; I would presume that Washington is actually considered the 4th option to begin the season -- with Parker, Vaughn, and Udrih coming before him (in that order). It's just that for the moment, options 2 and 3 don't appear to be available for a little while.

I'm not sure why you would continue to insist that Beno is somehow the Spurs' 2nd PG. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Washington passes Beno in terms of functionality in Pop's mind.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure why you would continue to insist that Beno is somehow the Spurs' 2nd PG. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Washington passes Beno in terms of functionality in Pop's mind.
I don't think I did any such thing; I certainly didn't intend to. In fact, you and I are basically in agreement that the reality doesn't match the intent. Even though he's not earning it, Beno's making backup money, and the Spurs thought that paying him backup money was a good idea a year ago, even after Vaughn was on the team.

Vaughn's currently the backup only because Beno's game has gone into the toilet. Vaughn plays smart and gives the team a chance to rest Parker. As long as he keeps doing that, he'll have a job. The Spurs may have suspected they'd need him to step up when they signed him, but that clearly was not the scenario they were considering, particularly when they picked up Beno's option.

I'd agree that Washington is below Udrih right now, but only because his salary isn't guaranteed. If the Spurs could cut one or the other with no financial penalty we both know what they'd do.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't think I did any such thing; I certainly didn't intend to. In fact, you and I are basically in agreement that the reality doesn't match the intent.

Went back and re-read your post -- my bad; I misunderstood what you said.

urunobili
10-27-2007, 11:47 PM
i think that clearly Washington will be a nice addition to what we do and definitively constantly earn Pop's confidence with rebounds and steals not only scoring... i see Vaughn taking over full time for the playoffs though...