PDA

View Full Version : Timberwolves working to buyout Juwan Howard

Kori Ellis
10-27-2007, 08:17 PM
http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_7299505

BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 10/27/2007 05:17:11 PM CDT

The Minnesota Timberwolves are working on a contract buyout for forward Juwan Howard, who had asked to be traded after Kevin Garnett was moved to Boston this summer.

The buyout is not official yet, Wolves spokesman Mike Cristaldi said Saturday. But an agreement is expected to be reached before 5 p.m. Monday, the NBA deadline for players to set their regular-season rosters.

The Wolves have 17 players, including Howard, a 34-year-old veteran who wants to play for a contender and doesn't fit well into the Wolves' rebuilding plans. Letting Howard go will reduce the roster to 16, one above the NBA maximum for the regular season. It appears that the Wolves could fit within the rules by parting with forward Wayne Simien, acquired from Miami last week as part of a trade package.

Howard had been a leader this month during the team's exhibition season, mentoring younger players. His professional attitude no doubt helped him gain his departure from the team. Howard is owed $6.88 million this season and $7.38 million in 2008-09, the final year of his deal.

"We're in the process of working through a buyout agreement," Cristaldi said.

Howard was not in attendance Saturday when the Wolves hosted an open scrimmage at Target Center. The Wolves acquired him last summer when they traded Mike James and Justin Reed to Houston.

MrChug
10-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Don't say it.....

ANYONE.

Kori....please for the love of Our Heavenly Father LOCK THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kori Ellis
10-27-2007, 09:36 PM
:) People are speculating that he's going to the Celtics.

Pistons < Spurs
10-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Wolves reach roster limit by buying out Howard

The Timberwolves negotiated on Saturday to buy out the contract of veteran forward Juwan Howard, a move that once finalized will get them to their 15-player roster limit by Monday's 5 p.m. deadline.

The Wolves also are expected to release Wayne Simien -- acquired with Antoine Walker and Michael Doleac in Wednesday's trade with Miami -- by Monday. Simien is the only one of those three players who was told not to report to the team.

"We've finally gotten down to a number," said Wolves coach Randy Wittman, who added that another roster move always could happen but that he doesn't expect one. "We can move forward now."

Howard hugged teammates goodbye after Friday's exhibition finale at Target Center and did not attend the Wolves' public scrimmage there on Saturday evening. The Wolves open the regular season at home Friday against Denver.

Acquired from Houston in June for guard Mike James and forward Justin Reed, Howard believed then that he would finally get the chance to play with Kevin Garnett, whom he almost joined as a teammate when he was a free agent four years ago. Instead, the Wolves dealt Garnett to Boston in July, and when the team opening training camp last month, Howard clearly but respectfully said he had told the team that, at this stage of his 13-year NBA career, he'd rather play for a title contender.

Howard provided the Wolves with a list of five teams for whom he'd like to play. But unable to make a deal for assets commensurate a player due to make $6.88 million this season and $7.37 million next season -- the two remaining years on his contract -- team officials will pay him a portion of his money due and release him so he can sign with any other NBA team as a free agent.

"I think it made sense for both parties," Wittman said.

On Friday, newly acquired Antoine Walker -- who, like Howard, was a former Chicago schoolboy star -- joined the Wolves. By Saturday, the teammate he knew longest was gone.

"I'm disappointed," said Walker, who, at age 31, is three years younger than Howard. "I was looking forward to it. Me and Juwan grew up as kids together. He was in high school when I was in elementary school. He was a big star in Chicago. I know he's thinking of trying to play for a championship, so hopefully best of luck to him."

Howard did not play in four of the team's eight preseason games. He has averaged 16.1 and 7.1 rebounds in his career. Expect him to choose to play for a list of teams such as Boston, where he'd finally get a chance to play with Garnett, Cleveland, Dallas, San Antonio, Miami and Phoenix.

The Wolves had 17 players in training camp and 18 listed on their roster Saturday. By late in their scrimmage on Saturday, they had only 10 available bodies after Greg Buckner, Theo Ratliff, Chris Richard and Randy Foye sat because of minor injuries.

"We started running out of bodies, which sounds funny," Wittman said.

http://www.startribune.com/wolves/story/1512479.html

dougp
10-27-2007, 10:05 PM
I loved it when Howard played for the Rockets, he was awesome energy - but he wouldn't fit in with the Spurs as we already have a good rotation of big men. He needs to go to Boston for the significant play time, and I think he'd be awesome coming off the bench for Garnett.

T Park
10-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Howard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ELson

Cut Beno, sign him up!!!!

baseline bum
10-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Fuck Howard. I'll never forgive that son of a bitch for the hits he put on Derek Anderson and Malik Rose in 2001. No way the Spurs go out in 4 to the Lakers with a healthy DA.

Indazone
10-30-2007, 01:55 AM
lol if the Spurs get Howard they really can live up to the dirtiest team in the NBA reputation. With Howard and Bowen putting the hit on other teams stars, the Spurs are a lock for challenging the Bad Boys Detroit Pistons as dirtiest all time teams.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Fuck Howard. I'll never forgive that son of a bitch for the hits he put on Derek Anderson and Malik Rose in 2001. No way the Spurs go out in 4 to the Lakers with a healthy DA.

That was a particularly painful summer to endure afterwards.......