PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely wild ending to Trinity-Millsaps football game

CubanMustGo
10-27-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm here in Jackson, MS, where I witnessed the most amazing end to a football game I've ever seen. Trinity was trailing Millsaps 24-22 and got the ball back after Millsaps turned it over on downs. Two seconds left, no timeouts (not that it would do any good), sixty yards away. Millsaps goes into major prevent defense. Trinity completes a short pass in the flat. The receiver laterals the ball, to another guy who laterals, and another guy who laterals, so on and so forth. I think there were something like 14 laterals before one of the Trinity receivers suddenly found himself with nothing but clear field in front of him and took it 40-some yards for a TD. Trinity wins 28-24 and the homecoming crowd in Jackson was absolutely stunned out of their gourds. Millsaps' coach, btw, is former Alabama HC Mike DuBose.

Not only were the laterals all legit but a couple of them game from an offensive lineman who just pitched the ball backwards over his head (rugby scrum style) after he found that thing in his hands.

There is a video whch the local ESPN radio guy is trying to get onto the big channel, but if not it should land on local TV in SA. I kid you not when I say the play puts both the "Music City Miracle" and the Cal/Berkeley play to shame.

Yeah, I know, nobody in SA cares about Trinity. Pity.

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2007, 09:51 PM
As a Trinity alum, I'm glad to hear that they beat Millsaps to avenge last year's loss. With wins over Millsaps and DePauw, the Tigers have an inside track to the SCAC title now, particularly since Rhodes got beat down today.

Beat Centre and Austin College and the Tigers are back in the playoffs again.

Sounds like that was one crazy play -- I'll look forward to seeing the video somewhere! Thanks for the report!

CubanMustGo
10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I know who has the video - so I sent a note to Jerry Briggs and unless ESPN wants exclusive rights it should show up on mysa.com in a day or so. They are interested.

Rhodes lost big time to Centre (27-0). How Trinity lost to those guys is beyond me because their three losses are by something like 80 points now. Actually I know, Trinity turned it over the first three times they touched it, plus Rhodes had some fluke fumble return for a TD. Trinity beats Centre in SA next week and then Austin in Sherman the week after and they get the bid.

And it's comforting to know that one of the most respected and logical posters on the board is a fellow TU alum. :tu

CubanMustGo
10-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Here it is!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbzQoXuxdU

FromWayDowntown
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow -- it's even more amazing to see it.

I didn't realize you were also a TU alum, CubanMustGo. If you've mentioned it elsewhere, I've missed it.

I can't say that I know a lot of specifics about Tiger football anymore, but I do try to keep an eye on the big picture. Obviously, a big win for Trinity in the big picture.

I'll admit that part of me was rooting for Rhodes to stay in the race for at least another week. The head football coach at Rhodes, Joe White, recruited me to play football at Columbia when he was an assistant there. He's a wonderful man who deserves to have great success -- though I'm not ready to concede that he should have that success at the expense of the Tigers.

samikeyp
10-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Damn.

Well done Tigers!

CubanMustGo
10-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Coach White's a class guy - had a chance to talk to him this summer. Most of the guys that coach at this level are, because you know they're not doing it for the money. Example? The coach at Howard Payne left a couple of years ago to take over 4A Frisco HS in the Metroplex.

Trinity FB is probably never going to be what it was around the turn of the millennium. The admin runs a very tight ship on admissions these days - that Coach Mohr can get out of these guys what he does is simply amazing.

I know I've mentioned the TU connection over in the Club. It was a long time ago ('81) but was a wonderful experience for a kid from the south side.

TheTruth
10-27-2007, 11:26 PM
That was insane...

SrA Husker
10-27-2007, 11:32 PM
It made SC.

jman3000
10-27-2007, 11:51 PM
holy shit.

CubanMustGo
10-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Led off the college football review and was a bonus play of the day. The video ESPN used is much higher quality than what I posted earlier:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3083220&categoryId=2564308&n8pe6c=2

And the funny thing is I half wanted Trinity to lose last week so I wouldn't have to come all the way out here to watch them get pasted by Millsaps. :dramaquee

timvp
10-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Holy crap. That was awesome.

timvp
10-28-2007, 01:38 AM
Gotta Spurs forum this for a while so more peeps can check it out. Nice report, CubanMustGo.

BradLohaus
10-28-2007, 02:08 AM
WOW! Is that not the greatest play in recorded football history? Somebody count the laterals, please.

EDIT: I count 15 (one a one-hopper from across the field :lol ) Absolutely insane.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 02:10 AM
WOW! Is that not the greatest play in recorded football history? Somebody count the laterals, please.

Official count was 15. Play recorded by the refs officially as a 44-yard pass from Blake Barmore to Riley Curry.

BradLohaus
10-28-2007, 02:14 AM
Official count was 15. Play recorded by the refs officially as a 44-yard pass from Blake Barmore to Riley Curry.

Thanks, I wasn't sure; one of them to a lineman is kind of hard to see. A box score never did a play less justice!

YODA
10-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Just finished counting......If im correct, it was 15 laterals. Just an amazing play.

Yoda

BradLohaus
10-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Looking at the video yet again, I think the play took 61 seconds. The play lasted longer than a minute :dizzy This one won't be topped for a loooong time.

ad12
10-28-2007, 02:38 AM
am i crazy or wasn't that last one a bounce pass?... or is that legal?...

raspsa
10-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Even someone who knows practically zero about american football like me can appreciate the play.. I actually found it kinda funny.

Quasar
10-28-2007, 03:33 AM
This is the first time I watch an American football clip. Great play, but wasn't there only 2 seconds left? What are the rules for countdown?

jman3000
10-28-2007, 03:34 AM
This is the first time I watch an American football clip. Great play, but wasn't there only 2 seconds left? What are the rules for countdown?
ball stays in play until the ball is dead or down. the ball can stay in play when there's 0 seconds left.

kinda rough explanation... but i think it does ok.

Quasar
10-28-2007, 03:41 AM
ball stays in play until the ball is dead or down. the ball can stay in play when there's 0 seconds left.

kinda rough explanation... but i think it does ok.

Oh i get it now. Dead/down as in the player is taken down with the ball in his hands, or the ball hits the ground with no one around?

Then what about the bounce pass during the play? I guess that's the place where the 2 secs were taken out?

Games must take a very long time then. Unless you have 5 minutes or something similar?

I guess 0.4 must happen often in American football :)

jman3000
10-28-2007, 03:49 AM
kinda sorta but not really... ive just realized i dont have the word smithing here to make it sound good.

Horry For 3!
10-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Who?

Joe Schmoogins
10-28-2007, 03:59 AM
My favorite part about that clip was the announcer going nuts.

Buddy Holly
10-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Badass... however is it more or does it sound like the lead announcer gets pissed offer "Trinity obviously cannot kick a field goal..." and the other guy laughs and basically says "Duh."

Gerryatrics
10-28-2007, 05:14 AM
Oh i get it now. Dead/down as in the player is taken down with the ball in his hands, or the ball hits the ground with no one around?

Then what about the bounce pass during the play? I guess that's the place where the 2 secs were taken out?

Games must take a very long time then. Unless you have 5 minutes or something similar?

I guess 0.4 must happen often in American football :)

You never realize how complicated something is until you try to figure out how to explain it...

You got the definition of being down (by contact) correct, if the player with possession of the ball is down, the ball is dead and play stops. If a forward pass is thrown and the receiver drops the ball without having possession (controlling the ball), the ball is dead and play stops. If a player otherwise drops the ball before they are down, it's called a fumble and the ball is not dead. Play continues until the ball is knocked out of bounds or someone recovers the ball and either they are tackled or they score.

Throwing or tossing the ball either sideways or behind you (but not ahead of you) is called a lateral in American Football. The ball acts the same as it does when it is fumbled, the ball is live and any player can recover it. It doesn't matter if it hits the ground, since that rule only applies to forward passes. However, if a player ahead of the line of scrimmage (the line where the ball is placed at the beginning of the play) throws the ball forward of their position, it's an illegal forward pass and the play wont stand. A ball can be lateraled indefinitely as long as no player in possession of the ball is tackled, goes out of bounds or someone on the other team recovers the ball. It's pretty much unheard of for there to be that many successful laterals though, usually it's a desperate, last-ditch effort that doesn't result in anything.

For a much simpler and easier definition, you could always read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_pass.

As for the clock, it starts as soon as the play does. If there is no more time on the clock while the ball is still live, the play continues until the ball is dead, at which time the quarter and/or game would end. So as long as you have 1 second on the clock, you can begin a play, and play wont end until the ball is dead. Think of it as invisible stoppage time that only lasts as long as the play that was going on when the game clock ran out does.

Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofNesHt0iqU) for an example of a lateral in a play called the "Hook and Ladder" (or "Hook and Lateral").

And this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxu9Rfm77M) is the most famous example of using laterals to keep a play alive after time runs out. It's simply called "The Play".

OK, so that probably just made you more confused, and of course there are exceptions to just about everything I described. But I tried.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Very nice. :tu Glad I saw that.

picnroll
10-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm a little rusty on my football rules but isn't a backward lateral that hits the ground still a live ball so it was all legit?

Surprised one of those refs didn't have a heart attack.

ShoogarBear
10-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Yes, a backwards pass that hits the ground is still a live ball.

ShoogarBear
10-28-2007, 10:51 AM
The AP already has a name for it: Lateralapalooza

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/10/28/trinity.lateralapalooza.ap/index.html

Greatest ending ever?
Trinity needs 15 laterals to pull out improbable victory
Posted: Sunday October 28, 2007 3:37AM; Updated: Sunday October 28, 2007 10:38AM

ATLANTA (SI.com) -- In an unprecedented finish that had more twists and turns than the surreal Cal-Stanford ending of 1982, Trinity University executed 15 laterals, off a kickoff return, before scoring a touchdown at the final gun to clinch an improbable 28-24 win over Millsaps College.

History will show that Riley Curry rumbled 44 yards through the exhausted Millsaps special teams to score the game-winner for Trinity. But no one will ever forget the sheer zaniness of the Lateralapalooza, from beginning to end, as the winning score lasted 46 seconds in real time -- most likely an NCAA record (if such records are kept).

"I've never seen anything like it in my 32 years in football," said Trinity coach Steve Mohr.

In all, seven different Tigers touched the ball amongst the 15 laterals. It was every bit the ending to the famous Cal-Stanford finish a quarter-century ago -- minus the Millsaps band running onto the field before the final whistle.

"I can't even explain it," Millsaps senior safety Ray Kline told The Clarion-Ledger. "I guess they wanted it more than we did on that last play."

phyzik
10-28-2007, 11:22 AM
that was amazing. Its going to be a while, if ever, where we see a play that either has more laterals or lasts longer then that one.

picnroll
10-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Kickoff return?

E20
10-28-2007, 11:44 AM
One thing I wanna LMAO @ is the announcer LMAO!!!

Walter Craparita
10-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Do they teach how to tackle in Div 3?

It was an amusing play, but the best in all of football? C'mon.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 12:23 PM
The AP already has a name for it: Lateralapalooza

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/10/28/trinity.lateralapalooza.ap/index.html

Greatest ending ever?
Trinity needs 15 laterals to pull out improbable victory
Posted: Sunday October 28, 2007 3:37AM; Updated: Sunday October 28, 2007 10:38AM

ATLANTA (SI.com) -- In an unprecedented finish that had more twists and turns than the surreal Cal-Stanford ending of 1982, Trinity University executed 15 laterals, off a kickoff return, before scoring a touchdown at the final gun to clinch an improbable 28-24 win over Millsaps College.

History will show that Riley Curry rumbled 44 yards through the exhausted Millsaps special teams to score the game-winner for Trinity. But no one will ever forget the sheer zaniness of the Lateralapalooza, from beginning to end, as the winning score lasted 46 seconds in real time -- most likely an NCAA record (if such records are kept).

"I've never seen anything like it in my 32 years in football," said Trinity coach Steve Mohr.

In all, seven different Tigers touched the ball amongst the 15 laterals. It was every bit the ending to the famous Cal-Stanford finish a quarter-century ago -- minus the Millsaps band running onto the field before the final whistle.

"I can't even explain it," Millsaps senior safety Ray Kline told The Clarion-Ledger. "I guess they wanted it more than we did on that last play."

Too bad SI.com fucked up the play. It was a pass play.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Who?

Shocking, I know, that there are other college football teams in Texas other than UT.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Shocking, I know, that there are other college football teams in Texas other than UT.

And good ones for their level. I realize that Horry For 3! would have absolutely owned D-3 football had he deigned to play there, but burdened as they are without his innate greatness, Trinity and Millsaps are among the better teams that play on the D-3 level.

As for the concern about tackling on that level, from watching the play, it looks to me that Millsaps did tackle, at least early in the play, but Trinity did a good job of getting rid of the ball before any meaningful tackles could be made. By the end of the play, though, you can see at least 2 or 3 Millsaps defender sprawled out on the field and several others just stopped. That undoubtedly helped Trinity's effort -- I'm not sure it's entirely about Millsaps tackling poorly.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 12:27 PM
You never realize how complicated something is until you try to figure out how to explain it...

You got the definition of being down (by contact) correct, if the player with possession of the ball is down, the ball is dead and play stops. If a forward pass is thrown and the receiver drops the ball without having possession (controlling the ball), the ball is dead and play stops. If a player otherwise drops the ball before they are down, it's called a fumble and the ball is not dead. Play continues until the ball is knocked out of bounds or someone recovers the ball and either they are tackled or they score.

Throwing or tossing the ball either sideways or behind you (but not ahead of you) is called a lateral in American Football. The ball acts the same as it does when it is fumbled, the ball is live and any player can recover it. It doesn't matter if it hits the ground, since that rule only applies to forward passes. However, if a player ahead of the line of scrimmage (the line where the ball is placed at the beginning of the play) throws the ball forward of their position, it's an illegal forward pass and the play wont stand. A ball can be lateraled indefinitely as long as no player in possession of the ball is tackled, goes out of bounds or someone on the other team recovers the ball. It's pretty much unheard of for there to be that many successful laterals though, usually it's a desperate, last-ditch effort that doesn't result in anything.

For a much simpler and easier definition, you could always read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_pass.

As for the clock, it starts as soon as the play does. If there is no more time on the clock while the ball is still live, the play continues until the ball is dead, at which time the quarter and/or game would end. So as long as you have 1 second on the clock, you can begin a play, and play wont end until the ball is dead. Think of it as invisible stoppage time that only lasts as long as the play that was going on when the game clock ran out does.

Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofNesHt0iqU) for an example of a lateral in a play called the "Hook and Ladder" (or "Hook and Lateral").

And this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxu9Rfm77M) is the most famous example of using laterals to keep a play alive after time runs out. It's simply called "The Play".

OK, so that probably just made you more confused, and of course there are exceptions to just about everything I described. But I tried.

I (heart) that Boise St./OU Fiesta Bowl.

mookie2001
10-28-2007, 12:42 PM
yeah FUCK YOU UT, how do you like a 14 lateral play??!

picnroll
10-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Trinity rules in D III mens soccer. Right now they're number one in the nation and have been at one time or another the last 3-4 years. I've been going to games for 11 years and they've had some very skilled players and entertaining teams. One even had a couple of years in the MLS, Lance Keys.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 12:45 PM
yeah FUCK YOU UT, how do you like a 14 lateral play??!

Pity you can't delete this thread, isn't it?

mookie2001
10-28-2007, 12:46 PM
14 laterals!, in your face

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 12:48 PM
You'd still be picking your chodes up from various places in Central Texas had UT pulled off something like that, so why don't you let somebody else steal the limelight from your No. 19-ranked Gods of Texas for one weekend?

Horry For 3!
10-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Shocking, it is called sarcasm. Even more shocking, I knew you'd be the one to type something about my post.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I completed a 61-yard, 15-lateral play by only pitching it to myself.

-Horry

Horry For 3!
10-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I completed a 61-yard, 15-lateral play by only pitching it to myself.

-Horry
Way to cover your stupidity.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Cover what?

Sarcasm has to be funny to be good.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 01:10 PM
"Trinity can obviously not kick a field goal."

"Duh."

:lmao

SilverPlayer
10-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but there is a clear bounce pass at the 1:02 mark in the video...It should have been down. They should probably overturn the result.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3083220&categoryId=2564308&n8pe6c=2

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but there is a clear bounce pass at the 1:02 mark in the video...It should have been down. They should probably overturn the result.

Yeah, it's called a fumble recovery.

SilverPlayer
10-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah, it's called a fumble recovery.

Can you have a fumble recovery on a lateral pass?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Can you have a fumble recovery on a lateral pass?

There's no lateral pass, it's simply a lateral.

A ball pitched to the side or behind is a fumble if it hits the ground.

SilverPlayer
10-28-2007, 01:34 PM
There's no lateral pass, it's simply a lateral.

A ball pitched to the side or behind is a fumble if it hits the ground.

That I did not know. I always thought laterals had to be "completed" the same way a pass did.

Way to go Trinity!

EJFischer
10-28-2007, 02:51 PM
The dean of students at Trinity just send the link to the ESPN hosted video to everyone with a working Trinity email address.

Way to go, Tigers!

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice.

ShoogarBear
10-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Be curious to see how they use if for alumni fundraising.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2007, 02:55 PM
The dean of students at Trinity just send the link to the ESPN hosted video to everyone with a working Trinity email address.

Way to go, Tigers!I'm expecting a similar e-mail tomorrow from the Alumni Relations people.

Edit: it came today at 1:00; I'm surprised it took that long.

CubanMustGo
10-28-2007, 04:34 PM
OMG I just got back into town and saw that you made this a sticky on the front page. Thanks, guys!

It was fun coming back today wearing a Trinity shirt and have people stop me to talk about the play. Division III doesn't get much air time (e.g. the Dallas Morning-News didn't run any sort of story) so this is a nice change for a bunch of kids who are just playing football because they love doing it.

You can bet the TU athletic department will send the link out to all their potential recruits. They do a pretty good job when you consider that they have to get athletes who not only meet Trinity's admissions requirements but who are willing to foot the bill for their own education - and this sort of thing can make a difference. Right now both TU soccer teams, the football team, and volleyball teams lead their conference and rank in the top 20 of their respective sports - and there are more D3 schools than D1 schools, making rankings harder to come by.

The announcer, by the way, is a Trinity sophomore. The other guy who comes on late is a parent of a former TU player.

ttdog
10-28-2007, 06:12 PM
That I did not know. I always thought laterals had to be "completed" the same way a pass did.

Way to go Trinity!

Apparently Millsaps player #35 thought so also. He stood there next to Trinity's Curry #7 thinking the game was over as the ball bounced to Curry and ran it in for the touchdown.

Behrooz24
10-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Great D! :donkey

BeerIsGood!
10-29-2007, 09:10 AM
What's great is that after more than a year of reminding JGW that "t.u." is actually Trinity University, the actual Trinity University team goes rugby on a game winning play. That was nice.

inconvertible
10-29-2007, 09:43 AM

on a kickoff the ball is free

EJFischer
10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
New development here: Trinity is up for Pontiac's "Game Changing Performace of the Week" contest. The winning school gets scholarship money. The link to vote is here:

https://r.espn.go.com/espn/contests/07GameChangingPerformance/index?cmp=ncaafb07sweepsthanks