PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Washington inches closer to making Spurs

timvp
10-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Washington inches closer to making Spurs
Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

More than a year later, Darius Washington can still remember the sting.

Dallas coach Avery Johnson called Washington into his office near the end of training camp last season and broke the bad news that he had been cut.

In camp with the Spurs as a non-roster invitee this year, Washington has hoped against hope for four weeks not to relive the experience.

“Hopefully, if I do get called into the office here, it will be, ‘Here's your contract,'.” Washington said.

Washington took another long leap toward making that dream a reality Saturday.

The Spurs waived second-round pick Marcus Williams, opening the door wide to the possibility that Washington, a fourth point guard, will be on the roster when the season opens Tuesday against Portland.

Williams' dismissal pared the roster to the maximum of 15 players. The Spurs aren't required to keep a full complement of 15 — the roster minimum is 13. But with backup point guards Jacque Vaughn and Beno Udrih recovering from injuries and Robert Horry on personal leave, the Spurs could certainly use the warm bodies.

Despite Williams' departure, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Washington has not yet officially made the team. He notes that the club has until Monday to finalize the roster.

Still, there's little doubt Washington's odds of making the roster are a little better today than they were even a week ago.

“Chances are pointing in that direction,” Buford said.

Undrafted last year after two college seasons at Memphis, Washington spent last season playing overseas. When camp opened Oct. 2, it seemed unlikely he would still be here nearly four weeks later.

Washington became something of a fan favorite after a preseason in which he averaged 9.3 points and 3.4 assists in seven games. In his lone start, he approached a triple-double — tallying 18 points, nine assists and eight rebounds in a 116-111 Spurs victory over Golden State.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich praised Washington's tenacity, saying, “He's competed very well.”

Buford agreed.

“He came in and did everything we asked of him,” Buford said. “He had a great opportunity with the injuries to the point guards, and he took advantage of it.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.102807.Spurs.Washington.EN.1b3158a66.html

timvp
10-28-2007, 01:20 AM
So Washington hasn't made the team yet?

If Vaughn or Udrih is healthy, could Washington be waived?

Lame. :rolleyes

ShoogarBear
10-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Are the Spurs so cheap they would waive Washington even if Beno and Vaughn are still injured?

E20
10-28-2007, 01:22 AM

He's made the team, it's just one of those things where the FO doesn't wanna say it until the deadline. It's a fucking tease.

timvp
10-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Are the Spurs so cheap they would waive Washington even if Beno and Vaughn are still injured?I guess we'll find out.

:hungry:

timvp
10-28-2007, 01:25 AM
I guess we'll find out.

:hungry::depressed

It'd be lame if the Spurs waived Washington even when Vaughn and Udrih are back healthy. Up that lame factor tenfold if the Spurs waive Washington with Vaughn and Udrih on the mend.

intlspurshk
10-28-2007, 01:25 AM
They may have better target after so many players are waived.

timvp
10-28-2007, 01:27 AM
They may have better target after so many players are waived.Good point. If the Spurs see someone they like better, then I guess I wouldn't mind the Spurs trading in Washington.

As long as the Spurs don't go the bargain basement route of waiving their only healthy backup point guard for nothing.

Darkwaters
10-28-2007, 01:28 AM

Probably just one of those "saving face" efforts. I can't see Buford making the comment of "Washington will make the team because Beno is a disgraceful waste". Instead he'll pretend like they don't need him, but will take him because it's convenient.

Yea, right.

Darkwaters
10-28-2007, 01:31 AM
They may have better target after so many players are waived.

So waive Udrih and scoop up Nichols or whomever.

whottt
10-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Maybe they want to keep the pressure on him so he'll keep competing hard...and not let up.

And maybe they just aren't 100% sold on him yet and want to see more...how he picks up the D...how he plays during an actual game.

They're just letting him know he can't get comfortable...he has to keep putting out the effort he's been putting out....if he wants to make this team.

He hasn't earned the job yet....I've got no problem with that...or them keeping the pressure on him. That pressure, and effort is why he's playing as well as he's played. It's not like he's been tearing up the stat sheet every game...

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2007, 01:39 AM
It's not over yet -- it was this round of cuts a year ago that begot a season full of James White!

ChumpDumper
10-28-2007, 01:59 AM
No shit. After all the luxury tax and full rosters and D-League teams the Spurs have paid for, we're still bitching about whether they'll keep a minimum salary?

Yes, we are.

timvp
10-28-2007, 03:01 AM
No shit. After all the luxury tax and full rosters and D-League teams the Spurs have paid for, we're still bitching about whether they'll keep a minimum salary?

Yes, we are.Washington is a needed player, at least for the next week. Waiving him to save as much money as Holt has in his couch cushions couldn't be excused, even by the most ardent of homers.

At least I would hope it wouldn't be excused.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2007, 03:05 AM
As long as we carry a full roster, I don't see much of a need for bitching.

timvp
10-28-2007, 03:20 AM
As long as we carry a full roster, I don't see much of a need for bitching.:wtf

Oh wait ... you weren't being sarcastic on the prior post? You juked me on that one. :lol

ChumpDumper
10-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Preemptive bitching is the best bitching.

Bruno
10-28-2007, 05:48 AM
:rolleyes
So Spurs cut their 33rd pick 4 months after the draft and instead of writing about that, McDonald write an article that just say "Washington will maybe be on the roster" and another one on Parker's star status in France.

picnroll
10-28-2007, 07:13 AM
So Spurs cut their 33rd pick 4 months after the draft and instead of writing about that, McDonald write an article that just say "Washington will maybe be on the roster" and another one on Parker's star status in France.
He is replacing Ludden as the team moutpiece afterall.

Spurs were ready to carry 15 with Willaims if he'd been any good. Don't see why they're not willing to carry 15 with Washington if he seems to be any good to them unless of course, as stated, a better, greater need becomes available.

timvp
10-28-2007, 10:59 AM
So Spurs cut their 33rd pick 4 months after the draft and instead of writing about that, McDonald write an article that just say "Washington will maybe be on the roster" and another one on Parker's star status in France.Either McDonald has been indoctrinated into the CIA workings early ... or he's clueless about the most important storyline of this transaction.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Only way we keep him longer than two weeks is if he pulls of a neartripledouble again in his very limited playing time. Its not gonna happen.

I refuse to get excited about this, we're all setting ourselves up for a letdown :wakeup

T Park
10-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Second round picks get cut all the time, what would there be to report?

Solid D
10-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Washington inches closer to making Spurs
Despite Williams' departure, Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said Washington has not yet officially made the team. He notes that the club has until Monday to finalize the roster.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich praised Washington's tenacity, saying, “He's competed very well.”

Buford agreed.

“He came in and did everything we asked of him,” Buford said. “He had a great opportunity with the injuries to the point guards, and he took advantage of it.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.102807.Spurs.Washington.EN.1b3158a66.html

Buford's 2nd round pick wasn't all that, the wings are healthy and the PGs aren't, Free Agent PG liked by Pop, stinks for Buford and his guy.

Spurs Brazil
10-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Point guard Darius Washington remains in wait-and-see mode for roster spot
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Darius Washington can count, but he's not quite ready to celebrate.

The point guard from University of Memphis knows he is one of the 15 players left on the Spurs' roster. He knows that means he has a good chance of being in uniform for Tuesday's regular-season opener at the AT&T Center against the Portland Trail Blazers. He also knows that until opening night rosters are frozen late thisÖ afternoon, anything can happen.

Washington likely will go into Tuesday's game as the only true point guard on the Spurs' bench. Backups Jacque Vaughn (strained calf) and Beno Udrih (broken let index finger) will be inactive. The Spurs are required to have 13 players on their roster and can have no more than 15.

“There's no need to celebrate,” Washington said. “I still have a lot of work to put in and a lot of stuff to do. The numbers do look good, but I still have to work hard.”

If, in fact, he is in uniform Tuesday, Washington will celebrate quietly and share the moment with his mother, who lives in Orlando, Fla.

“It's going to mean all the hard work I did during the summer paid off and my dreams have come true,” he said, “but it's just the beginning. Just because I'm on the team doesn't mean I'm going to stop working hard.”

Injury updates: Vaughn actually got on the court for a bit of scripted work during Sunday's practice, but only for a brief time.

“A little shooting, some pivot drills and rocker step stuff,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “but no contact. Just about five or 10 minutes, and then he went back in the weight room and did all those fancy things they do in there.”

Udrih, who got the cast off his left hand Saturday, was shooting a few free throws with his right (non-shooting) hand after Sunday's session, but did not participate in other drills.

“I think they're going to X-ray him in another week, or so,” Popovich said. “He's got a little ball he squeezes, but he can't get out on the court at all.”

Groovy practice: Once the grind of the regular season begins, opportunities for practice diminish, so Popovich ran the Spurs through a lengthy workout Sunday and will have another today.

“We relish each and every opportunity to get in a good practice, so today was a very good day to do that,” Popovich said. “With a game on Tuesday we'll be able to get in another good practice (Monday). It's another chance to get the new guys up to speed and the old guys back in the groove.”

[email protected]
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA.102907.Spurs.Notes.EN.1b8011b88.html

Kori Ellis
10-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Injury updates: Vaughn actually got on the court for a bit of scripted work during Sunday's practice, but only for a brief time.

“A little shooting, some pivot drills and rocker step stuff,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, “but no contact. Just about five or 10 minutes, and then he went back in the weight room and did all those fancy things they do in there.”

Udrih, who got the cast off his left hand Saturday, was shooting a few free throws with his right (non-shooting) hand after Sunday's session, but did not participate in other drills.

“I think they're going to X-ray him in another week, or so,” Popovich said. “He's got a little ball he squeezes, but he can't get out on the court at all.”

Excuse me?

:lmao

Darkwaters
10-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Excuse me?

:lmao

Seriously, did Pop just rip Beno's manhood? This could be a good sign for Darius Washington fans :downspin:

ChumpDumper
10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
“He's got a little ball he squeezes, but he can't get out on the court at all.” It is perhaps a small step up from a purse.[

SenorSpur
10-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Beno is such a weenie. :oink