PDA

View Full Version : Spurs hope second verse is same as first (Houston Chronicle)

duncan228
10-28-2007, 10:14 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5250572.html

Spurs hope second verse is same as first
Only thing missing from dynastic résumé is back-to-back championships

By FRAN BLINEBURY
Houston Chronicle

They have Tim Duncan anchoring their lineup as the best power forward who ever played the game.

No question.

They have Tony Parker as the world's happiest newlywed with Eva Longoria as his bride and the MVP Trophy of the NBA Finals as his wedding present.

No question.

They have Manu Ginobili, still the bull in the Argentinian china shop, who can break open a game and a season in a flash.

No question.

In fact, there is only one question left to ask about the San Antonio Spurs: Are they a dynasty?

Four NBA championships in nine season would seem to say yes. But the niggling detail that they have never repeated leaves the subject open for debate.

On the eve of training camp, head coach Gregg Popovich, as usual, shrugged his shoulders and wondered if it's not a genetic problem.

Is there a back-to-back gene that's the missing part of San Antonio's DNA?

There certainly were specific reasons the Spurs did not defend their crown on each of their three previous attempts. In 1999, they lost Sean Elliott midway through the season to kidney disease. In 2003, they were done in by Derek Fisher's improbable heave with 0.4 seconds left that turned around a playoff series with the Lakers. In 2005, they would have won the Western Conference finals if Ginobili hadn't committed an unthinking foul that gave Dirk Nowitzki a three-point play at the end of Game 7.

"Everyone wants to talk about a dynasty," says Spurs owner Peter Holt. "All I want to do is repeat."

A year ago, there was much whispering about the Spurs maybe finally running out of gas, graying and growing old before the eyes of the league. If Dallas hadn't folded in the first round against Golden State, if the Mavs had remained the team that won the Southwest division by nine games, the Spurs might have rethought everything.

Eliminated by the same team for the second consecutive season, wouldn't it have been time for retooling?

Instead, the Spurs kept their heads while the Mavs were losing theirs, and grew stronger and stronger until they simply overwhelmed Cleveland in the Finals and then kept the team together. They retained Michael Finley, Robert Horry and Brent Barry, re-signed Matt Bonner and Fabricio Oberto, then extended Bruce Bowen.

With their experience — and with good health — would anyone bet against the Spurs in a seven-game series next spring?

San Antonio was always difficult enough to overcome when the solar system revolved around Duncan in the middle and Parker and Ginobili were just orbiting moons. But Ginobili stepped forward in the 2005 playoffs to show he is the kind of big-time performer who can carry a team himself. Now, following a year when he sat out international play to let his weary body recover, he is back and looking as strong as ever.

Then there is Parker, who preceded his walk down the aisle over the summer in Paris by striding boldly into the spotlight to outshine even LeBron James and is just entering his prime with a game that has become transcendant.

This is a lineup so solid that they're letting first-round draft pick Tiago Splitter ripen for another year in Europe and will likely have second-round pick Marcus Williams spend most of the season in the Development League. They did sign free agent Ime Udoka from Portland as a Bowen-in-waiting.

All in all, a team primed to finally repeat.

"If it doesn't happen, there will be no suicides on my watch," Popovich said. "But you have goals and then there are new goals. And then you reach those goals and somebody comes up with something else. But it's an even year, so it's tough for us. I don't know if it's genetic or what. But we're going to do our best and we're trying."

Meet the Spurs
San Antonio's probable starting five:

• F Tim Duncan, 6-11, 260 pounds: The yardstick by which all others are measured.

• F Bruce Bowen, 6-7, 200: Still the best perimeter defender in the league.

• C Fabricio Oberto, 6-10, 245: Does enough of the little things to be a big part of a champion.

• G Tony Parker, 6-2, 180: After winning Finals MVP and marrying Eva Longoria, can he get better?

• G Manu Ginobili, 6-6, 205: He's the hottest spice in San Antonio's salsa.

boutons_
10-28-2007, 10:24 AM
The question of repeat will provide plenty of easy column space for sports "writers", and if the Spurs don't repeat, those same writers will trash the Spurs' accomplishments.

wildbill2u
10-28-2007, 10:28 AM
In another column where he rated all the teams in the league, Blineberry, the Chron. NBA beat guy, picked the Mavs to win the West in the regular season but the Spurs to win the eventual Championhsip over Chicago.

SenorSpur
10-28-2007, 11:14 AM
The so-called experts often refer to the 80's Boston Celtics as a dynasty. Sure they continued to build upon the legacy of the great Russell-led teams. But Larry Bird's Celtics NEVER won back-to-back championships.

duncan228
10-28-2007, 11:19 AM
The so-called experts often refer to the 80's Boston Celtics as a dynasty. Sure they continued to build upon the legacy of the great Russell-led teams. But Larry Bird's Celtics NEVER won back-to-back championships.

Rick Kamla argued this point beautifully after we won our fourth.
He said the same thing you have, and that he couldn't understand why the Spurs wouldn't be considered a dynasty.

His exact quote: "What's up with that?"

duncan228
10-28-2007, 11:21 AM
The thread with Kamla's blog and the quote:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73620

SenorSpur
10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
The thread with Kamla's blog and the quote:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73620

Thanks for the assist. He's probably one of the few that has successfully argued that point.

duncan228
10-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the assist. He's probably one of the few that has successfully argued that point.

I thought he did it beautifully. And the arguement should have ended with his blog.
I like him. He's direct, to the point, uses facts, and is funny on top of it all.

whottt
10-28-2007, 11:45 AM
The Spurs are not exactly the same team...forget about age.

Adding Udoka is much bigger IMO, than anyone is willing to mention...it addresses a weakness....and gives them a second Bowen type. This will make a difference against the Mavs and the Suns.

But beyond all that...

#1. Obviously...Parker inches more towards Superstar level every season...IMO, he hit that level for the Spurs in the last postseason...the Spurs are in fact a two Superstar team now. I am not dissing Manu here...everyone knows what Manu is, and what he can do, but they also know he's going to get beat up dinged and worn down several times per season.....

#2. The Tim Duncan that appeared in the last 2 post seasons for the Spurs, is a different animal...this Duncan is mean. Nasty. Watch his facial expressions in some of these playoff series when the tone of the series is being set. Go back and look at the first game of the finals when Duncan isolated on LeBron....Duncan sneers and taunts him, and dares him to bring it into the paint...LeBron was in shock over it...

#3. The Spurs lost their boyscout facade last year, when Horry leveled Steve Nash. It freed them from always playing with one hand tied behind their back by playing as gentlemen....and no one on the team complained about it either. The Spurs white hat is a little bit blacker than it used to be now...and I think that's going to help them in the post season. They were always tougher than they credit for...but now they have an even tougher edge. No one is going to take anything away from them, just because they are playing by the rules....they'll stop playing by the rules before that happens, and that's a good thing for us.

SenorSpur
10-28-2007, 11:54 AM
I thought he did it beautifully. And the arguement should have ended with his blog.
I like him. He's direct, to the point, uses facts, and is funny on top of it all.

yeah, i've watched him a few times on NBATV. In fact, the network recently ran the Season Preview Show and Rick was equally as adamant about that fact during the Spurs preview. I believe he was the only one who argued that point in favor of Spurs dynasty. Yes, he is direct and humorous to boot.

duncan228
10-28-2007, 11:58 AM
#2. The Tim Duncan that appeared in the last 2 post seasons for the Spurs, is a different animal...this Duncan is mean. Nasty. Watch his facial expressions in some of these playoff series when the tone of the series is being set. Go back and look at the first game of the finals when Duncan isolated on LeBron....Duncan sneers and taunts him, and dares him to bring it into the paint...LeBron was in shock over it...

#3. The Spurs lost their boyscout facade last year, when Horry leveled Steve Nash. It freed them from always playing with one hand tied behind their back by playing as gentlemen....and no one on the team complained about it either. The Spurs white hat is a little bit blacker than it used to be now...and I think that's going to help them in the post season. They were always tougher than they credit for...but now they have an even tougher edge. No one is going to take anything away from them, just because they are playing by the rules....they'll stop playing by the rules before that happens, and that's a good thing for us.

I agree, and #2 brings us directly to #3.

This is still Duncan's team, regardless of Parker's emergence as an elite player.
Duncan sets the tone.
The Duncan we're seeing the last couple of Playoffs is the Duncan this team needed at this stage of Duncan's career.
Duncan doesn't want to play nice anymore. Duncan wants as many more rings as he can get before he decides to retire.

Horry commited the foul on Nash.
But Duncan had set the tone. From the Denver series on.

Go back and watch Duncan in the '05 Seattle series. He got the shit beat out of him repeatedly and couldn't get a whistle. The '06, '07, and I'm certain the '08, Duncan won't let that happen again.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2007, 12:07 PM
The Duncan Spurs have surpassed the Bird-McHale-Parish Celtics in terms of titles won, but one could argue, I suppose, that those Celtics were at least able to reach the Finals for most of that decade and were, therefore, truly on the cusp of winning additional titles. Those Celtics won titles in 1981, 1984, and 1986, but they reached the Finals in 1985 and 1987 as well. In 1982, they lost in 7 games in the East Finals and they lost in the East Finals in 1988. Thus, they played at least to the East Finals in 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1988.

The Spurs suffer from a bit of a perception problem because they've not been able to put together back-to-back seasons of reaching at least the Conference Finals during this stretch. I'm not really sure that most of the pundits would articulate it that way, but I do think it makes a difference to the perception.

As a Spurs fan, I obviously think Kamla's argument is the correct one -- and it pains me to say that because I usually think Kamla's a tool -- but I think more people will agree with him if the Spurs can repeat.

As an aside, I do think it's ironic, though, to hear (or read) fans of other teams -- teams that haven't even won -- blast the Spurs for an inability to repeat or for playing a soft playoff schedule or attempting in any other way to diminish what these Spurs have accomplished.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-28-2007, 01:23 PM
They retained Michael Finley, Robert Horry and Brent Barry, re-signed Matt Bonner and Fabricio Oberto, then extended Bruce Bowen.
There wasn't even a team or player option on his contract this offseason.

E20
10-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Is Udoka really a Bowen type player? He's only 6-5, what's his wingspan? I mean Bowen is able to guard the Nowtizki's/Bosh's of the league. Even if Udoka were to be assigned to players like Byrant/T-Mac/Anthony/James they'd still have a good 3 inches on him.

SenorSpur
10-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Is Udoka really a Bowen type player? He's only 6-5, what's his wingspan? I mean Bowen is able to guard the Nowtizki's/Bosh's of the league. Even if Udoka were to be assigned to players like Byrant/T-Mac/Anthony/James they'd still have a good 3 inches on him.

I'm not sure of his wingspan, but the thing that impresses me about him is the fact that he's 215-220 lbs. He's a very physical defender with a bit of a nasty streak about him.

Consider this: He was THE Bruce Bowen of the Trail Blazers last year. Consistently taking the opposition's best perimeter offensive player.

I wouldn't worry much about Udoka. He will definitely make an impact and I fully expect him to steal minutes from Barry and Finley before it's all said and done.

mystargtr34
10-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Udoka is fine, hes more of a dogged, hearty defender who will deny you the ball and be in your face.

Bowen is also but his defense relies on his long arms and considerable height.