PDA

View Full Version : "Spurs Evil" in the Valley of the Sun!!!

efrem1
10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi Folks:

Since I last posted, I took a job as a law librarian at the Arizona State Library in Phoenix and now am in Suns territory.

Well, here we are on the verge of another season where the Spurs can get their fifth title (Hard to believe coming from a 30-year fan) and I wish the Spurs well in their pursuit. In any event, yesterday, I took my family to Schmenf (sic) Farms in Queen Creek southeast of Phoenix where they had a fall festival and had a number of events and rides. They had a hayride that I took my family on and they took us out to the Steve Nash corn maze. The driver said something cute about Nash being trampled by the people entering the maze and then I spoke up to say "Oh, Yes!!!" :elephant When people saw my Spurs champions T-shirt, they booed me for about 30 seconds. Oh, I just love being EVIL!!!!!

Go SPURS GO!!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Give 'em hell.

Kori Ellis
10-28-2007, 07:36 PM
They had a hayride that I took my family on and they took us out to the Steve Nash corn maze.

:lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-28-2007, 07:40 PM
the Steve Nash corn maze.
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1558118&vid=146091

T Park
10-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I wear my Robert Horry jersey regularly out here, and have at my area of work the picture of the Spurs team hoisting the trophy.

Anything to rub it in to Philadelphia west out here :)

objective
10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
efrem1,

You are very lucky to be at ASU, because the BEST sportstalk radio host does a show there in Tempe, Bob Kemp. Maybe you can pick it up in PHX, if not there are ways to get it on the internet

Even though it's a local show, it has the best national coverage and talk of any show, local or syndicated anywhere.

Imagine a sportstalk radio show that didn't have ANY comedy routines, sketches, 'talking 'bout stuff' nonsense, or smacktalk or screaming enthusiasm from idiot fans.

It is the best radio show . . . EVA!

T Park
10-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Imagine a sportstalk radio show that didn't have ANY comedy routines, sketches, 'talking 'bout stuff' nonsense, or smacktalk or screaming enthusiasm from idiot fans.

What about mp3 clips of Homer Simpson saying "Hey how about that"

objective
10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
it's like the anti Pasacreta/Vexler show.

informative, compelling talk about sports, with insightful interviews (unlike Rome's questioning technique of "That was big/important/great, wasnt' it?" already answered garbage).

and he doesn't suffer Suns fans too well and thinks their window is closed without Kurt Thomas.

efrem1
10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
efrem1,

You are very lucky to be at ASU, because the BEST sportstalk radio host does a show there in Tempe, Bob Kemp. Maybe you can pick it up in PHX, if not there are ways to get it on the internet

Even though it's a local show, it has the best national coverage and talk of any show, local or syndicated anywhere.

It is the best radio show . . . EVA!

Thanks, although I work at the state library in downtown Phoenix and not at the ASU library, I do live in Tempe and hear lots of fireworks from Sun Devil Stadium the last few games. I thought I read something in the paper that the Suns are going to have a rally at Arizona Center at noon tomorrow, but I am not sure. Although I cannot attend (my car's in the shop and taking care of my sick son), I hope that valley Spurs fans can come out and paint planet orange SILVER and BLACK!!! :ihit

ShoogarBear
10-28-2007, 08:18 PM
What is it about ST that attracts librarians with attitudes?

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2007, 08:24 PM
them suns bandwagoners lack hatred

spurs>>>>sons

pawe
10-28-2007, 08:44 PM
I had a Spurs flag on my car during the playoffs against the Suns. I was driving then on the 202 and I got at least 7 or 8 people honking their horns on me..gotta love living in enemy territory. (I never forgot to take the flag off when i parked though..lol)

YODA
10-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I had a Spurs flag on my car during the playoffs against the Suns. I was driving then on the 202 and I got at least 7 or 8 people honking their horns on me..gotta love living in enemy territory. (I never forgot to take the flag off when i parked though..lol)

1 Spurs t-shirt= $25.00
1 ticket to Spurs Ring presentation-$50.00
Living in Phoenix after a Spurs Championchiop- PRICELESS

Yoda

SpurYank
10-29-2007, 11:02 AM
For more on the Spurs on the eve of a new BB season, check out page 2 of the Sports Section of the Washington Post for today. I believe it's www.washingtonpost.com. Almost the entire page is dedicated to why the Spurs are not popular. It isn't necessarily bad.

FromWayDowntown
10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
it's like the anti Pasacreta/Vexler show.

informative, compelling talk about sports, with insightful interviews (unlike Rome's questioning technique of "That was big/important/great, wasnt' it?" already answered garbage).

and he doesn't suffer Suns fans too well and thinks their window is closed without Kurt Thomas.
I remember Bob Kemp when he had a national show back in the late 90's. He was among my favorite talkers, if only because he's a smart guy who doesn't really buy into the hype and doesn't rely on schtick to make his point.

SenorSpur
10-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi Folks:

Since I last posted, I took a job as a law librarian at the Arizona State Library in Phoenix and now am in Suns territory.

Well, here we are on the verge of another season where the Spurs can get their fifth title (Hard to believe coming from a 30-year fan) and I wish the Spurs well in their pursuit. In any event, yesterday, I took my family to Schmenf (sic) Farms in Queen Creek southeast of Phoenix where they had a fall festival and had a number of events and rides. They had a hayride that I took my family on and they took us out to the Steve Nash corn maze. The driver said something cute about Nash being trampled by the people entering the maze and then I spoke up to say "Oh, Yes!!!" :elephant When people saw my Spurs champions T-shirt, they booed me for about 30 seconds. Oh, I just love being EVIL!!!!!

Go SPURS GO!!!

Keep rubbin' their orange and purple noses in it.

hater
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
you're a librarian?? hahahaha

Xylus
10-29-2007, 03:40 PM
I work at Home Depot, and there's this guy who comes in often. Almost everyday he wears a Tim Duncan jersey--in fact, I doubt he washes it, because it's almost the only thing he wears. A couple of times I've seen him wear an Amare jersey, so I'm not quite sure what to think of the guy.

Anyway, there are several Spurs fans at my work. I don't talk shit with these people, but we have long basketball discussions and we get along great. I acknowledge that Amare deserved to be suspended for approaching the altercation, and they acknowledge that the series might have been different had Amare played in Game 5. Why can't we all just get along? :)

Holt's Cat
10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
For more on the Spurs on the eve of a new BB season, check out page 2 of the Sports Section of the Washington Post for today. I believe it's www.washingtonpost.com. Almost the entire page is dedicated to why the Spurs are not popular. It isn't necessarily bad.

THROWING IT OUT THERE | By Desmond Bieler
When the Spurs Win, You Lose

Monday, October 29, 2007; Page E02
The Washington Post

It's almost NBA time. Do you know who your defending champion is? For a team that's a title or two away from being considered one of the NBA's all-time dynasties, San Antonio hasn't made a tremendous impression on the public consciousness. Our question: Why haven't people embraced the Spurs?

1. Tim Duncan and the Boringaires

He may be the greatest power forward of all time, but the Big Fundamental isn't exactly Big Fun. The below-the-rim game and endless array of bank shots don't help, but the real problem is his blank gaze, one that makes Ben Stein come off like Matthew Lesko in comparison. Our crack staff put it this way: "Tim Duncan has the personality of a kumquat." And it's not like the rest of the squad has picked up the slack. Tony Parker has plenty of game but his most interesting personal facet cheers for him from the stands, albeit in extremely comely fashion. At least Parker has that going for him. Manu Ginobili's most interesting personal facet is his bald spot. Elsewhere, Robert Horry is money in the playoffs but not from the interview podium, and it says everything about this team that we even feel compelled to mention Bruce Bowen.

2. It's Our Fault

Okay, so the Spurs aren't so great at sound bites, but what about sound play? They move without the ball, wait for screens to develop and contest every shot. Shouldn't excellent basketball be inherently interesting to people whom we assume would describe themselves as basketball fans? Apparently not. We've been conditioned to worship the monster alley-oop, the sick crossover dribble and whatever else qualifies for inclusion in ESPN's execrable "Ultimate Highlight." After all, neither Steve Nash nor any of his teammates is the second coming of Charles Barkley in the charisma department, but Phoenix's freewheeling (and free of defense) style ensures plenty of love. Our crack staff worked up some righteous indignation on this point: "The Spurs are everything the NBA should be about. . . . But that's not what we want; that's not what sells." In other words, we're not worthy.

3. Born in the ... Somewhere Else

Fully a third of San Antonio's championship roster last year, including stars Parker and Ginobili and frequent starters Francisco Elson and Fabricio Oberto, hail from beyond these shores. It surely doesn't help the Spurs' connection with fans that few had heard of any of them before they reached the NBA.

4. Size Matters

In this case, we're referring to the size of San Antonio's media market, a mere 37th overall. Sure, Duncan's David Schwimmer-like magnetism had lot to do with him ranking a mere 15th in NBA jersey sales last season, but how do you explain that New York, home of the nation's top market and the horrifically unappealing Knicks, are second -- second! -- in team jersey sales, while "point guard" Stephon Marbury finished eight spots ahead of Duncan. Like we said, size matters.

5. Keeping Up With the Patsies

For many years, the Spurs were compared to the New England Patriots. Both teams were seen as better-prepared and harder-working than their opponents but not all that compelling. Then the Pats revved up their offense -- and the media scrutiny -- by signing Randy Moss. Our suggestion is that San Antonio follow suit and trade for Allen Iverson. And would it kill them to get caught cheating?

Holt's Cat
10-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I could definitely see the Spurs signing AI in '09 when he's a free agent.

DannyB
10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm a Suns fan in Phoenix, and can definitely attest that the Spurs are hated and despised as evil thugs and cheaters out here. I share those sentiments.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-29-2007, 05:22 PM
:lol

Hook Dem
10-29-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm a Suns fan in Phoenix, and can definitely attest that the Spurs are hated and despised as evil thugs and cheaters out here. I share those sentiments.
Must suck to harbor hatred! :lol :lol :lol :downspin: :downspin:

DannyB
10-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Must suck to harbor hatred! :lol :lol :lol :downspin: :downspin:

Maybe so ... but its not like I, or any other decent person, have any real choice but to hate the Spurs. They are evil, and none of us must rest until they are destroyed. Then balance will be restored to the universe.

Hook Dem
10-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Maybe so ... but its not like I, or any other decent person, have any real choice but to hate the Spurs. They are evil, and none of us must rest until they are destroyed. Then balance will be restored to the universe.
Be careful what you wish for! Karma is a bitch!

pawe
10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
yeah, well, make sure grant hill isnt one of those people that will not rest destroying the evil spurs.

ShoogarBear
10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I cheer each Spurs losshttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/DepecheModeEnjoyTheSilence.jpg

Mister Sinister
10-29-2007, 09:29 PM
If only you knew the power of playing defense.