PDA

View Full Version : Calzaghe vs Kessler

TheTruth
10-29-2007, 09:34 AM
This is shaping up to be the best 3 or 4 months of fighting we've seen in a long time.

Free on HBO. You have to watch this one. Calzaghe is fully healthy for the first time in years. This is gonna be a classic. I just hope whoever wins goes after a Pavlik fight hard. That'll be another huge one.

2centsworth
10-30-2007, 09:54 PM
It's a fantastic time. This has the potential to be a classic, but it wouldn't surprise me if Calzaghe wins quick.

degenerate_gambler
10-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Calzaghe has the ring savvy and experience while Kessler owns a nasty jab and much more power on his punches.

I kind of see Joe owning the first few rounds with his slapping, pitter-patter style and Mikkel not being able to close off the ring. But Kessler catches up with him in the second half of the fight with his jab/straight right combo.

Majority Draw Decision..

atxrocker
10-31-2007, 01:55 PM
i'm fucking psyched

degenerate_gambler
10-31-2007, 02:35 PM
i'm fucking psyched

yep...two undefeated fighters at the top of their game in a 60,000 seat venue with 40,000+seats sold already to a bunch of liquored up welshmen.

kessler better bring a helmet if he wins.

biggest fight over there since nigel benn..

TheTruth
11-03-2007, 04:53 PM
man, this is gonna be a battle. Kessler with a S/D.

atxrocker
11-03-2007, 05:11 PM
i got calzaghe

MrChug
11-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Round by Round by Chuggz: (my friends ask me to do this while the fight is in process so if some parts don't make sense my apologies...):

1. Too close to call…studying each other too much. Round 10-9 Calzaghe.
2. Kessler tops Calzaghe’s accuracy.. Calzaghe concentrates too much on the body while Kessler chops away with very precise, fundamental shots up top. Kessler 10-9.
3. Calzaghe imposes his will. Even by a knockdown that was clearly a slip (and called a slip), Joe insists on riding this wave of momentum and turning the tide back to his favor (okay, I’ll stop with the ocean references) with maniacle and what could be considered irresponsible aggressiveness. It’s evident that Joe’s hand speed is taking over. Many more punches often sway the judges but we’ll see. Latter 3rd of the round, Mikkel lands his best punch of the fight and Calzaghe walks through it. Calzaghe wins easily but only 10-9.
4. Inactive opening into the round a BIG few punches landed by Kessler stops Joe in his tracks. Joe looks very discouraged. HUGE chin, a human being can only take so much punishment. A bigger puncher and the biggest in the division, Kessler gets back his confidence with a few well-placed uppercuts that shock Calzaghe. Round 10-9 Kessler.
5. Calzaghe looks FAR from crisp yet he’s still backing up Kessler. His ring generalship is winning the first 2 minutes of the round. Kessler is starting to pop his jab and effectively. Whoever takes the last 30 seconds will win the round…and it appears no one did. My opinion? Round Joe C: 10-9.
6. The pace is slowing. With these punches landed and this much action, you could see this coming like a freight train. Now it becomes a thinking man’s fight and experience rather than fervor most of the time takes precedence. Kessler has lost his rhythm. Great defense and generalship by Joe C. Round 10-9 Calzaghe.
7. Calzaghe’s got his confidence back tenfold. Joe lands some HUGE punches in the first minute. Kessler lands another patented uppercut in a nice exchange but it seems to only infuriate Calzaghe. Both men exchange FURIOUSLY at the end of the round…what a fight. Round because of superior activity, Joe C wins another 10-9.
8. Kessler’s corner is getting desperate. Practically BEGGING him to go for the “homerun” which is is a mistake in my humble opinion, Mikkel comes out shooting hard and actually landing. Joe Loves it and fires back. PHENOMENAL exchange that has Kessler reeling at the end of the round leaves Mikkel out on his feet when a questionable interruption by referee Mr. Imanidiot jumps in to warn Calzaghe about holding behind the head. EASY and dominant (almost fight-ending) round by Joe Calzaghe.
9. With a clear lead, Calzaghe seem to not care. His record-defining aggressiveness seems to be shocking Kessler although Mikkel continues to keep his focus and still has a few huge punches in him. Joe’s handspeed and his willingness to take risks is making Joe great round by round. Nevermind that he’s held the divisions title FOR A FUCKING DECADE. Absurd body punching and focus wins the round easily. 10-9, Calzaghe.
10. The war is starting but THIS is where the experience kicks in. Joe loose and cool Paris Hilton in Antarctica. Joe continues to make Kessler look like a scared kid. Easy round again. 10-9.
11. It just looks like Kessler doesn’t even think he can win. Joe Calzaghe hasn’t lost a fight in 17 years. It looks like he wants it to stretch to 18. Another easy (I have to find a different word) round for Joe C. 10-9.
12. Last round. Another magical performance by Joe Muthafuckin Calzaghe. This guy is amazing…will he be standing at the end of this round? WOW. Mikkel Kessler is really really REALLY fighting hard. Kudos to him. Joe’s just too much. 30 seconds to go and Kessler will take the round, (maybe) but too little too late. Fight and undisputed championship to Joe Muthafuckin Calzaghe. Kessler round 10-9.

MrChug
11-03-2007, 09:37 PM
118-100...too easy. Long live the Zag!

degenerate_gambler
11-05-2007, 09:52 AM
props to calzaghe...

like manny stewart said, in big fights on big stages, speed will usually trump power.

the crowd was awesome.

kessler didn't use his jab near as much as i thought he would.

he threw some nice uppercuts, but by the 8th round you could tell he didn't have a clue how to sustain an attack against calzaghe's movement.

calzaghe fought a brilliant fight...was quicker and consistently beat kessler to the punch.

how much of a rush must it be to make an entrance like he did sat. night with some bad ass music, lights, and 50,000+ cheering for you....just you.

helluva night...

now get the hopkins thing done...

MoSpur
11-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I give huge props to both fighters. They went in there and did what fighters are suppose to do, which is FIGHT. None of this Roy Jones Jr and Mayweather crap where they dance around the ring most of the time. Calzaghe is one bad man!

2centsworth
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
I thought it was a good fight too.

BeerIsGood!
11-06-2007, 04:02 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed that fight, and also enjoyed the pre-fight atmosphere of the place with a bunch of welshmen being happy drunks. Always nice to see a big fight were there aren't rappers getting capped in the lobby or outside the venue.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch, but I think it would be the same result. Calzaghe is just too quirky with his movements and switches up enough to keep Kessler from throwing accurately. Brilliant fight by Calzaghe and I can't wait to see a Hopkins bout.