PDA

View Full Version : The BCS & Notre Dame

K-State Spur
10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Did everybody (anybody) realize that Notre Dame gets a $1.3 million payout for years that they DON'T participate in the BCS?

Thunder Dan
10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
yeah it's just about a unfair as keeping all 13 million when they do make it. They made 26 million to get stomped the last 2 years and Ohio State has made 4.72 since 2002 and have played in 4 BCS Bowl games. Think about how unfair that is. They got over 21 million more dollars by play in only 2 bowl games.

It's crazy how they don't have the best athletic program in the country with all that mad money floating about.

K-State Spur
10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
It's amazing the BCS (and the rest of college football) continue to bend over backwards for this school. Nobody seems to realize that Notre Dame needs everybody else more than everybody else needs them.

Thunder Dan
10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
It's amazing the BCS (and the rest of college football) continue to bend over backwards for this school. Nobody seems to realize that Notre Dame needs everybody else more than everybody else needs them.

no crap. I don't know anyone under the age of 50 that consider themselves diehard ND fans. Isn't that the reason they have a deal with NBC and the BCS to begin with? They used to have a ton of fans, but the people that like a team because of tradition and prior accomplishments are the fans that move onto a different team when you start losing. I can name about 5 schools that have larger followings than Notre Dame, yet ND gets all the love.

lebomb
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
A buddy of mine is a die hard ND fan.....he is from South Bend.

Also, ND has a huge following.....you will see it return once they start winning again.

samikeyp
10-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Also, ND has a huge following.....you will see it return once they start winning again.

True.

If ND gets it back together, those fuckers will come out of the woodwork. They define the term "Subway Alumni".

K-State Spur
10-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Nonetheless, ND is down right now...and has the college football world stopped turning at all??? There is no reason for the rest of the NCAA to cater to the Irish like they do.

Thunder Dan
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
They will never be dominate again. They have too high of standards for recruits and playing in the cold weather doesn't help. The best they will ever become is like a Wisconsin or Penn State, but they will not be a USC, Florida, Texas, Ohio State or Oklahoma

kskonn
10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
no crap. I don't know anyone under the age of 50 that consider themselves diehard ND fans. Isn't that the reason they have a deal with NBC and the BCS to begin with? They used to have a ton of fans, but the people that like a team because of tradition and prior accomplishments are the fans that move onto a different team when you start losing. I can name about 5 schools that have larger followings than Notre Dame, yet ND gets all the love.

Yea I am a diehard ND fan and am under 50. But you are correct in that their are not a ton in the south, I see them everywhere when I go up north, and east. Hell I actually ran in to 4 pretty big ND fans at the UT game last week. I also know they are having one of their home games in San Antonio next year, so I guess there are a good number of fans in this area. Obviously a lot of them stay under the radar in the down years, not me, I will admit it even when they suck as bad as they do now.

K-State Spur
10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
The high academic standards are a cop out by Irish fans who still want to feel elitist even in the face of losing.

Yes, their academic standards are a bit higher than the NCAA bottom line, but it's not like they are recruiting classes full of kids who could get into ND without football ability.

The vast majority of the recent recruiting classes for Nebraska, KSU, Missouri, OU (or numerous other schools) could have gone to ND if Weis wanted them.

samikeyp
10-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Nonetheless, ND is down right now...and has the college football world stopped turning at all??? There is no reason for the rest of the NCAA to cater to the Irish like they do

Agreed.

I never got the whole "we're better than you" attitude from that school and their fans I have met.

Thunder Dan
10-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Yea I am a diehard ND fan and am under 50. But you are correct in that their are not a ton in the south, I see them everywhere when I go up north, and east. Hell I actually ran in to 4 pretty big ND fans at the UT game last week. I also know they are having one of their home games in San Antonio next year, so I guess there are a good number of fans in this area. Obviously a lot of them stay under the radar in the down years, not me, I will admit it even when they suck as bad as they do now.

yeah there are some ND fans, I didn't mean to imply that there were no fans whatsoever, but I don't think they have enough of a fan base that a national network should devote all of their college football programing to them and that the BCS should make special accomidations to have the privilage of having Norte Dame play in one of their 5 bowl games.

Agreed.

I never got the whole "we're better than you" attitude from that school and their fans I have met.

Being an Ohio State fan up north, I get it all the time. Notre Dame fans love to knock Ohio State by saying it's a crappy school that anyone can get into (which is only half true), and that our players are thugs. Somehow we have develped a rivalry between Notre Dame and Ohio State, yet they have only played 3 times in the modern era of football. I'm not sure how it started to tell you the truth.

kskonn
10-30-2007, 06:19 PM
yeah there are some ND fans, I didn't mean to imply that there were no fans whatsoever, but I don't think they have enough of a fan base that a national network should devote all of their college football programing to them and that the BCS should make special accomidations to have the privilage of having Norte Dame play in one of their 5 bowl games.

Yea i know you were not implying that, just giving you a hard time. I am actually a fan because my grandfather played there way back in the day. I have found that once they start winning I run into a lot of "notre dame" fans, but these days it is hard to find. The two guys I saw at the UT game in ND hats were funny, I was wearing a ND pullover and they saw me and said " wow you must be a true fan if you are willing to admit it to all who see you." It reminds me a lot of people who become cowboys fans when they start winning.

Thunder Dan
10-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Yea i know you were not implying that, just giving you a hard time. I am actually a fan because my grandfather played there way back in the day. I have found that once they start winning I run into a lot of "notre dame" fans, but these days it is hard to find. The two guys I saw at the UT game in ND hats were funny, I was wearing a ND pullover and they saw me and said " wow you must be a true fan if you are willing to admit it to all who see you." It reminds me a lot of people who become cowboys fans when they start winning.

you mean fans like Red Sox fans? Once they won in 2004 everyone comes out as a lifelong Red Sox fan

kskonn
10-31-2007, 08:51 PM
you mean fans like Red Sox fans? Once they won in 2004 everyone comes out as a lifelong Red Sox fan

exactly.

brucebowensghost
01-02-2013, 02:16 AM
Well I'm a domer (actual graduate) and yes nearly two decades of impotence have not been fun.....but Kelly
seems to have us on the right track. Bama will let us know where we stand.

fevertrees
01-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Fighting Irish prayer songs got this on LOCK.