PDA

View Full Version : Picks for Big 12 bowls

leroyjenkins
10-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Based on how this season is going, which big 12 teams are going to which bowls?

BCS
Cotton
Holiday
Gator (when it selects a Big 12 team)
Alamo
Sun (when the Gator does not take a Big 12 team)
Insight
Independence
Texas

Also:
Big 12 South Champ
Big 12 North Champ
Big 12 Champ

degenerate_gambler
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

leroyjenkins
10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Big 12 - North W-L(Conf) W-L(Overall)
Kansas 4-0 8-0
Missouri 3-1 7-1
Kansas State 3-2 5-3
Colorado 3-2 5-4
Nebraska 1-4 4-5
Iowa State 0-5 1-8

Big 12 - South W-L(Conf) W-L (Overall)
Oklahoma 3-1 7-1
Oklahoma State 3-1 5-3
Texas 3-2 7-2
Texas A&M 3-2 6-3
Texas Tech 2-3 6-3
Baylor 0-5 3-6

MajorMike
10-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Mizzou in the BCS? Could happen, but not likely if they lose a 2nd game the night before the rankings come out. Also, UGA? This assumes they win out and play in the SEC game, but they have LSU in the BCS game, which means they assume LSU beats UGA. This gives UGA 3 losses, which will not get them an at-large bid.

Ok, so they say Mizzou will be BCS which means they win out and beat atm. They have uo beating atm. By having atm in the Holiday, it means they assume atm beats UT and the Holiday choses a 7-5/4-4 atm team over a 9-3/5-3 UT team the year after atm was there and laid a huge egg. Highly unlikely.

Then, they have that same UT, which is coming off what would be an upset loss in a nationally televised game, getting selected over a 10-2/6-1 Big East runner-up UConn.

They also assume OSU will lose to Baylor, because they have the B12 listed as not having enough teams eligible.

K-State Spur
10-29-2007, 10:34 PM
it's fairly evident those predictions have ignored most of the big 12 season to date.

BeerIsGood!
10-30-2007, 08:12 AM
As bad as we are this year, I'd still like our chances of smoking Clemson, or whoever the 3rd best ACC team will be.

degenerate_gambler
10-30-2007, 09:33 AM
trying to predict where anyone is going right now is almost pointless.

samikeyp
10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
trying to predict where anyone is going right now is almost pointless.

True...but fun.

degenerate_gambler
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
True...but fun.

absolutely my friend..

RonMexico
10-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Oklahoma State going to New Orleans this year... no, not for the National Championship... their basketball team will be there recreating the Las Vegas experience for All-Star Weekend 2008.

leroyjenkins
10-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Oklahoma State going to New Orleans this year... no, not for the National Championship... their basketball team will be there recreating the Las Vegas experience for All-Star Weekend 2008.

So theres gonna be a lot of refs gambling?

LoveMySpurs
11-01-2007, 12:26 PM
My Huskers are going nowhere fast this season, so unless some sort of miracle happens and we beat Ku, KSU and CU we're staying home. Guess the players can be available to help Callahan pack over Christmas break.... Too bad I spent some big $ on Big 12 Championship tickets before the season began and Nebraska was predicted to do well....

MajorMike
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
BCS uo
BCS Mizzou
Cotton KU
Holiday KSU
Gator UT
Alamo OSU
Insight ttek
Independence CU
Texas atm

Also:
Big 12 South Champ uo
Big 12 North Champ Mizzou
Big 12 Champ uo

Jimcs50
11-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Aggies will go to the Who gives a shit Bowl.....after Fran is fired, I might add.

MajorMike
11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Weren't there a bunch of aggrots making fun of UT last year for going to a lowly bowl like the Alamo? That'd be fun to see some of those quotes.

RonMexico
11-02-2007, 10:55 AM
We also didn't suck A&M's nuts all last year like UT fans do. Stop talking shit until OSU goes to a lowly bowl?

Don't forget, CaptMike, these are your opinions on where A&M will go to a bowl, not fact.

RonMexico
11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Wasn't CaptMike making fun of the Ags for losing to OSU in the B12 basketball tourney last year? It'd be funny to see those quotes... and even funnier to see JamesOn Curry's In-N-Out Burger uniform about now.

dmac
11-02-2007, 11:47 AM
My Huskers are going nowhere fast this season, so unless some sort of miracle happens and we beat Ku, KSU and CU we're staying home. Guess the players can be available to help Callahan pack over Christmas break.... Too bad I spent some big $ on Big 12 Championship tickets before the season began and Nebraska was predicted to do well....
Send me the tickets. The game is in San Antonio this year right?

samikeyp
11-02-2007, 12:36 PM
We also didn't suck A&M's nuts all last year like UT fans do.

Also an opinion, not fact. :)

MajorMike
11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
BCS uo
BCS Mizzou
Cotton KU
Holiday KSU
Gator UT
Alamo OSU
Insight ttek
Independence CU
Texas atm

Also:
Big 12 South Champ uo
Big 12 North Champ Mizzou
Big 12 Champ uo

Well KSU losing 2 or 3 in a row and ttek beating uo have swapped things around a bit. Now, I don't think KSU will get a Bowl at all. Also, KU looks like a lock to get into the BCS - they will be a 1-loss team at the very worst. I still think Mizzou beats them, but that may be better for KU as they will get a week to recover in the polls.

BCS uo
BCS KU
Cotton Mizzou
Holiday UT
Gator ttek
Alamo OSU
Insight atm
Independence CU
Texas none

The top 4 bowls seem to be a lock. KU is a great story this year and a BCS bowl would love to have them even with 1 loss. Mizzou and UT are pretty locked into their places as well, and the Holiday is looking forward to a UT/SC rematch.

The only weirdness would be if KU wins out. This would leave 3 B12 teams with 2 losses (assuming UT beats atm). It seems likely that UT will be the highest ranked in the BCS, because the polls always favor those who lose early. I would say for certain a 2nd B12 team will get in, but who it is would be up for debate. With uo losing 2 of 3 and Mizzou losing to the only 2 tough teams it faced, UT would most likely get it. The Cotton would then be all about getting uo and Mizzou would go to the Holiday.

If the Gator does not pick ttek, they most likely go to Alamo and OSU to Sun. The Gator only has to pick a B12 team twice every four years. Well they didn't last year and if they don't this year they will be stuck taking one the next two years instead of getting a choice. Since they can also be the 1st to pick ND if they don't go BCS and ND is obviously not going bowling this year, they might want to leave it open for ND to get Bowl eligible one of the next 2 years.

If atm beats UT, I really don't see any change. The Holiday could pick ttek, but again if SC is in it then they will go for the rematch. atm and OSU could swap San Antonio/Tempe.

If OSU beats uo I still don't see much of a change. UT is a much bigger tv draw than any of the remaining South teams, so I still say the top is pretty solid. If the Holiday did go for ttek, the Gator would most certainly take UT for the ratings.

If KSU does beat Fresno, they will go to the Texas Bowl.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
If the Alamo Bowl has a choice there's no way they are taking Okie Lite over A&M.

11-20-2007, 12:08 PM
If the Alamo Bowl has a choice there's no way they are taking Okie Lite over A&M.

Think so Holt? Part of me thinks that with the disappointing season for the Aggies (At least in Aggie fan eyes) and how folks want to see Fran run out on a rail, that the interest for a bowl game would be lacking. But, one in Texas would draw more than one out of state.

BeerIsGood!
11-20-2007, 02:03 PM
I think Kansas handles Mizzou.

Does anyone know if Bradford's concussed ass will line up this week against Okie Light? If not, it's not unreasonable that Okie Light wins that game and with a win over am UT would actually find themselves in the big 12 title game. A nice reversal from the Chris Simms choking ass days.

11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I think I saw last night on the news that both Bradford and Murray probably won't play against OSU.

MajorMike
11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
OSU's run defense is pretty decent against average RBs, but the inability to wrap up a good back will do them in. Patrick should have a big day. It will be high scoring, but OSU will most likley come out on the wrong end, somewhere around 32-38 or so.

RonMexico
11-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Fran loses on Friday, A&M is not going to a bowl, and he's gone by Monday.

New head coaching search will begin shortly thereafter.

I read on an LSU message board some guy wrote: "Anyways, I heard from an aTm fan that Spurrier has a deal in principle with aTm, but he will wait to see how the LSU job plays out before accepting the aTm gig. Any thoughts on this?"

I think that might be the most ridiculous comment I've ever heard.

leemajors
11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
i doubt spurrier wants to give up being so close to augusta national and not paying any dues.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Think so Holt? Part of me thinks that with the disappointing season for the Aggies (At least in Aggie fan eyes) and how folks want to see Fran run out on a rail, that the interest for a bowl game would be lacking. But, one in Texas would draw more than one out of state.

A&M has had 80K+ game showing up in College Station this season. Doesn't matter.

MajorMike
11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Actually they didn't go over 80k until the 4th game.

Holt's Cat
11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
75k, whatever.

MajorMike
11-21-2007, 10:06 AM
75k, whatever.

I'm far from knocking 75k, that's awesome. Kyle Field is up there with Neb's home as the best places in the B12 to see a game; no one is disputing that. The point, however, that 1369 was making about this being a disappointment to the fans is very vaild. While this year's game against OSU was the 6th highest attendance ever at Kyle, atm failed to sell out 4 of 6 home games to this point (tho I'm sure UT will be one). The preseason rankings gone bad, the Fran scandal, getting whipped by ttek and uo, being big underdogs to UT, the prospect of being 2-13 to UT, ttek and UT in the Fran years, 3 out of 5 Fran season with losing B12 records - much more was expected from atm this year; by everyone.

To be quite frank and knock my own fanbase, why would you pick a disappopinted fanbase in atm just because they are local when OSU fans are just happy to get to a bowl and will sell just as many tickets? atm has the 2nd highest ever attended Alamo Bowl in 1999; however OSU has the 3rd highest attended just a few years back in 2004 at just over 100 tickets less. atm has the highest attended Cotton Bowl in 2005 (75k) against national powerhouse Tennessee since UT/ND in 1976; however when OSU played one-year wonder Ole Miss in 2004, that was the highest attended Cotton Bowl since '76.

Also, ttek brought just as many to the Alamo and Cotton, plus way more than atm did to the Holiday and Houston. ttek's Holiday Bowl is the 3rd highest ever.

OSU can't sell out 40k at home games, but they have some some of the best bowl attendance in the conference. On the flip side, just because atm gets 80k+ to home games doesn't equate to larger bowl attendance.

OSU was at a recent Alamo Bowl, but atm played there more recently against Army. atm fans will not buy as many hotel rooms as OSU will, and will not visit as many local attractions as OSU fans will, and yet will sell 100 less tickets. I think that is a very attractive give and take.

Alamo Bowl Reps have been at the last 3 OSU games and will be at Bedlam Sat night.

Alamo looking, but...

The Valero Alamo Bowl was also in attendance (at the KSU/Mizzou game), but has a short list of Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Texas Tech from the Big 12, and Wisconsin and Penn State from the Big Ten.

"If Kansas State would get hot, they could be in our mix," bowl representative Joe Linson said.

The Alamo Bowl picks behind the Holiday, and ahead of the Insight.

Independence Bowl still high on Cats

Even after a 73-31 loss to Nebraska last week, and a 49-32 blistering this week at the hands of Missouri, the PetroSun Independence Bowl knows it has a good shot at landing Kansas State for its Dec. 30, game in Shreveport, La.

"One of the things we look at is how are teams going to travel," said Pesky Hill, a representative of the bowl in attendance Saturday. "A&M is closer to us in miles, but we know K-State's track record of following its team.

"We're here for the game, but also to get a feel for the fans," Hill said. "I just spent time in the parking lot asking if they were ready to come to Shreveport, and they all said yes."

Hill said the bowl also looks at whether a team is on a rise, or decline, and how the team is finishing the season.

A third choice would be Oklahoma State, but likely a third option since the Cowboys played in the 2006 Independence Bowl.

In reality, nobody knows, but history shows you can't assume atm gets picked over ttek or OSU just because they are closer or have more fans at home games.