PDA

View Full Version : Raptors C Eric Montross retires

KoriEllis
08-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Raptors C Eric Montross retires
SportsTicker

TORONTO (Ticker) - Toronto Raptors center Eric Montross, who missed the entire 2002-03 season with a left foot injury, on Tuesday announced his retirement.

Montross had a fracture of the talus bone in his left foot and hadn't played since April 10, 2002. He missed the final four games in the regular season and the playoffs as Toronto was eliminated in five games by the Detroit Pistons in the first round.

"I am disappointed that I will not be playing anymore," Montross said. "The injury that I have sustained cannot be addressed satisfactorily to get me back onto the court. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed our time in Toronto and our interaction with the fans and the city."

The 31-year-old Montross was acquired in a six-player deal with the Pistons in February 2001 and averaged 2.1 points and 2.7 rebounds in 61 games with Toronto.

Selected by the Boston Celtics with the ninth overall pick in the 1994 draft after leading North Carolina to a national championship, Montross was named to the NBA All-Rookie second team. He averaged 10.0 points and 7.3 rebounds in 78 games his rookie season, but never matched that production thereafter. The 7-foot 270-pounder played more than 61 games only once after his rookie season.

In 465 games with Boston, Dallas New Jersey, Philadelphia, Detroit and Toronto, Montross averaged 4.5 points and 4.6 rebounds.