PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A. Smith has finally lost it

Steve-O-Matic
10-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Just saw him on KIA NBA Shootaround on ESPNEWS and he's picking Boston over Denver in the NBA Finals this year. That's right, folks, Boston over Denver. :dizzy

(p.s. Jalen Rose picked Phoenix over Detroit)

exstatic
10-29-2007, 08:32 PM
SAS never had it. How could he possibly lose it?

Xylus
10-29-2007, 08:33 PM
There are currently 5 teams in the West that I would consider better than Denver.

jaytribuno
10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Denver? Yeah right! Stephen A Smith has always made and said outrageous stupid comments and he has said several racist comments that makes him look retarded. Who's denvers point gaurd anyway?

Mister Sinister
There are currently 5 teams in the West that I would consider better than Denver.
Spurs, Rockets, Mavs, Suns, Jazz?

Xylus
Spurs, Rockets, Mavs, Suns, Jazz?
Not necessarily in that order, but yes. :lol

thispego
10-29-2007, 08:37 PM
well, thats not totally out of the realm of possibility. denver's got a pretty deep and talented team.

BradLohaus

At least 4, for sure.

It would only be shocking if Stephen A. didn't go for shock value with his Finals pick.

Mister Sinister
Not necessarily in that order, but yes. :lol
I wasn't going in any order, really. :lol Not consciously, anyway.

Steve-O-Matic
10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
He qualified his Denver pick by stating that it was only if Kenyon Martin is/stays healthy. He also alluded to the Spurs being his #2 pick in the West, but that the Spurs have never been able to repeat before so he has no reason to believe that this year will be any different in that regard.

Spurs Dynasty 21
10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
GOOD, every team he picks to win it all doesn't

Pistons < Spurs
10-29-2007, 08:42 PM
That's like the 4th or 5th time I've heard or seen some 'expert' pick a Boston - Denver Finals in the last week or so.

Boston I expected people to drool over....but Denver seems to be many people darkhorse in the West.

Kori Ellis
10-29-2007, 08:42 PM
That's like the 4th or 5th time I've heard or seen some 'expert' pick a Boston - Denver Finals in the last week or so.

Boston I expected people to drool over....but Denver seems to be many people darkhorse in the West.

Yeah, I heard Denver from a few other analysts in the last few days.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I heard Denver from a few other analysts in the last few days.

People must be counting on someone other than them taking out the Spurs. All Ginobili has to do is walk in the building against Denver and they self destruct.

Mister Sinister
10-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Are they still a darkhorse if a lot of people expect them to be a darkhorse?

FromWayDowntown
10-29-2007, 08:47 PM
It would help the Nuggets' cause some to avoid the Spurs in the First Round -- the Spurs and the Clippers, I guess. . . .

angel_luv
10-29-2007, 08:49 PM
SAS never had it. How could he possibly lose it?

Word!

ElNono
10-29-2007, 08:51 PM
You sure he wasn't picking for the WNBA?

jaytribuno
10-29-2007, 08:51 PM
1. Phoenix 2.Spurs 3. Houston 4.Utah 5. Dallas 6. Denver 7.Lakers 8. Portland

JamStone
10-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I still don't understand when people are surprised and even more so upset when so-called "experts" make unconventional picks, especially an antagonist like Stephen A. Smith. Anyway, since he's rooted in Philly, it's not that surprising if you think about it as he probably still on AI's jockstrap. I wouldn't bet on that happening, but it's not that crazy of a prediction. Teams that should make it to the NBA Finals don't always make it. Just because there are 4 or 5 teams that should be better than Denver, it doesn't mean any of those 4 will be in the NBA Finals, especially under the playoff format where Philly would only likely have to beat two of those 4-5 teams in playoff series.

I don't agree with Smith, but at the end of the day who cares about his prediction? It's just a prediction. I'm sure there were plenty of people laughing and questioning any "expert" who picked the Pistons to win it all before the 2003-04 season started.

Tippecanoe
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
hey, at least he got half of it right. boston over some WC team :smokin

smrattler
10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Denver and Boston?

I guess Denver must have signed a SG I didn't hear about?

Or was it a real PG?

O-Factor
10-29-2007, 09:24 PM
SAS has never learned to pick the Spurs. He's just an ignorant bastard.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-29-2007, 09:38 PM
He must be reading some work from Mark Kiszla.

itzsoweezee
10-29-2007, 09:43 PM
was this before or after the bill simmons article?

JamStone
10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Denver and Boston?

I guess Denver must have signed a SG I didn't hear about?

Or was it a real PG?

You've never heard of Allen Iverson?

Russ
10-29-2007, 09:58 PM
SAS is a Philly guy and he's always loved AI. That's all there is to it, period.

(He's also a knucklehead.)

703 Spurz
10-29-2007, 10:02 PM
He qualified his Denver pick by stating that it was only if Kenyon Martin is/stays healthy. He also alluded to the Spurs being his #2 pick in the West, but that the Spurs have never been able to repeat before so he has no reason to believe that this year will be any different in that regard.

Ok.....

Denver has never been to a championship so based on your logic, why is he picking them to get to the finals?

If we never repeated and Denver has never gotten that far then he's wrong on all levels. I know, it isn't supposed to be logical

703 Spurz
10-29-2007, 10:04 PM
1. Phoenix 2.Spurs 3. Houston 4.Utah 5. Dallas 6. Denver 7.Lakers 8. Portland

Portland number 8? :smokin

Steve-O-Matic
10-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok.....

Denver has never been to a championship so based on your logic, why is he picking them to get to the finals?

If we never repeated and Denver has never gotten that far then he's wrong on all levels. I know, it isn't supposed to be logical
Umm, its not my logic, it's his. I'm just repeating what he said. Don't attribute Smith's comments to me.

samikeyp
10-29-2007, 10:34 PM
All Ginobili has to do is walk in the building against Denver and they self destruct.

:lmao

Funny....and true!

smrattler
10-29-2007, 10:38 PM
You've never heard of Allen Iverson?

Yeah, last I checked, he can only play one position at a time. So, which is it?

I'm asking, SG or PG?

If it's SG, who's the PG? If he's the SG, good luck, and who's the PG?

jaytribuno
10-29-2007, 10:45 PM
:hat
Portland number 8? :smokin

Creation88
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
literally LOL. that's great.

Hemotivo
10-29-2007, 11:05 PM
All Ginobili has to do is walk in the building against Denver and they self destruct.
:lol

They’re not saying “boo,” they’re saying “Manuuuuu.”

http://www.sextohombre.com.ar/secciones/Embajadores/000646_t.jpg

YoMamaIsCallin
10-30-2007, 02:01 AM
SA Smith has a giant hard-on for urban ballers. He greatly overvalues their ability to make a team winners, and greatly undervalues non-urban-baller players.

The Nuggets have three genuine certified urban ballers -- KMart, AI, and Melo. So of course SASmith picks them to win. The Suns only have one, really -- Amare. Marion isn't really urban enough. The Mavs have none, as do the Spurs.

bresilhac
10-30-2007, 05:41 AM
A guy who is usually right on with his predictions is Frank Isola of the NBA network and the New York Daily News. He has picked San Antonio to win it all the last three years running and he's been right two of those three years. He's also very flattering of the Spurs calling them one of the era's great teams. Check him out. He seems to be a Spurs fan at heart. And oh yeah, in the NBA network preview show shown last week he selected the Spurs to win it all, again. Thanks Frank.

41times
10-30-2007, 10:19 AM
SAS is a f#cking idiot. He always has been and he continues to be one.
He says stuff for shock value just to get attention, that is why i don't ever watch him or read his stuff.

Anyone who picks someone else other than the Mavs, Spurs or Suns in the West is retarded. If Houston could stay healthy they might have a shot but the can't so they don't.

In East I can see Boston as the pick or Chicago or maybe Detroit.

So don't pay any attention to that idiot. And when Denver finishes 6th or 7th in the West you can all have a nice chuckle at his expense.

Cry Havoc
10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
SA Smith has a giant hard-on for urban ballers. He greatly overvalues their ability to make a team winners, and greatly undervalues non-urban-baller players.

The Nuggets have three genuine certified urban ballers -- KMart, AI, and Melo. So of course SASmith picks them to win. The Suns only have one, really -- Amare. Marion isn't really urban enough. The Mavs have none, as do the Spurs.

Terry could be considered "urban", but I agree with what you're saying here.

It's hilarious, really, how he is so blind that he just picks teams based on the style, rather than the quality, of play.

Budkin
10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
It'll be nice to shut all the Steven A. Smiths and Scoop Jacksons up when we repeat in June.

MrChug
10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
...and water is finally wet.

Reggie Miller
10-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Whether or not you accept Dave Berri's methods, he has a pretty interesting analysis of the Nuggets here:

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/misplacing-the-best-in-denver/

Basically, put A.I. and Anthony on the court at the same time, and they both become more or less average players. This seems consistent with their actual performance last year.

MoSpur
10-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Melo is improving and has been a touch matchup for the Spurs. I'm not worried about KMart nor am I worried about Camby. A.I can do damage at times, but not enough to take Denver to the Finals. That team is improving and they are very physical. The Spurs getting Udoka should help them out.

Scola Trade
10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
When I saw the title of this thread I though that Stephen Smith was picking up the Spurs. That would be a huge surprise coming from him. Picking Boston over Denver is normal for his standards

timmy21_4rings
10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
If SS(should I say BS) refuses to pick Spurs based on only one reason: they never repeated it. He should pick a team that has won championship recently which are Miami Heat and Pistons. What has Denver and Boston done recent years to merit his selection?

For Spurs this year is different from other years because they are REALLY DEFENDING CHAMPIONS (according to Pop). 11 out of 12 (except Beno) are returning. In other years it is not the case.

YoMamaIsCallin
10-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Terry could be considered "urban", but I agree with what you're saying here.

It's hilarious, really, how he is so blind that he just picks teams based on the style, rather than the quality, of play.

Yeah, I thought about Terry, but he strikes me as more suburban than urban. Let's check his bio.

ason Eugene Terry was born on September 15, 1977, to Andrea Cheatham and Curtis Terry in Seattle, Washington. He was the second of Andrea’s 10 kids, by four different fathers, all united by her under one roof. Jason’s mother was a tireless Metro bus driver. His father was a high-school hoops legend. Also in the picture was James Johnson, Andrea’s longtime companion. But for most of his young life, Jason was the man of the house. He changed diapers, got his younger siblings to bed on time, and filled in when his single mom simply ran out of hours in the day.

hmmm... four different fathers... 10 kids... single mother/bus driver...

OK maybe you have a point.

HJNTX
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
...it's all about self-promotion folks...Near the end of the season he'll once again be back on the Spurs' bandwagon..It's just something he does ..His mid initial isn't "A," for nuttin' ..

Fabbs
10-30-2007, 12:19 PM

The Nuggets have three genuine certified urban ballers -- KMart, AI, and Melo.
Is "urban baller" pc for nappy headed or cornhole hairdo required ?
Is a "punk", ebonics-me-be-da-viktim-always element required?