PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Extended for Two-more Years

usckk
10-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Spurs extend Tim Duncan for about 40 million for 2 years!!! He took a lower price to allow the Spurs more flexibility too!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An..KnWd5pjy40xSGjPPnKA5nYcB?slug=jy-tim102907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

HighLowLobForBig-50
10-29-2007, 11:09 PM
link source?

Hemotivo
10-29-2007, 11:14 PM
wow

lrrr
10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Damn, I wish I could take an $11 million pay cut and still get paid $40 mill!

Spurminator
10-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Bad. Ass.

ShoogarBear
Duncan will take less than maximum salary
By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports
October 29, 2007

With NBA commissioner David Stern set to present Tim Duncan his fourth championship ring on Tuesday, the Spurs forward has made it clear he has no plans to leave the court – or San Antonio – anytime soon.

Duncan has reached agreement with the Spurs on a two-year, $40 million extension that figures to give the team enough salary-cap flexibility to continue to surround him with a competitive supporting cast in the waning seasons of his career, two sources with knowledge of the deal said Monday.

By signing the extension, which is expected to be finalized within the next few days, Duncan forfeits his option to become a free agent after this season. He will now be under contract with the Spurs until the summer of 2012.

The extension hardly comes as a surprise. Duncan, 31, said prior to last season’s NBA Finals he felt as healthy as he’s been in years and hoped to continue playing “as long as I can.”

But what is notable about the deal are the terms: Though Duncan is eligible to receive a two-year extension worth about $51 million under the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, he agreed to nearly $11 million less because it could potentially afford the Spurs greater flexibility to pursue free agents after the 2009-10 season.

Duncan and his agent, Lon Babby, met with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford at Popovich’s house prior to the start of training camp. Well aware of Duncan’s value to franchise – the Spurs likely would not be in San Antonio had he not guided them to their first title in 1999 – Popovich and Buford presented him with a maximum offer during the meeting. But they also made a detailed presentation of their plans for the team’s long-term future and showed Duncan the possible impact of his accepting a lesser extension.

After a few weeks of deliberation, Duncan agreed to the $40 million extension. He will make $22.2 million in the final year of his current contract, with his salary dropping to about $18.7 million in the first year of the extension.

Duncan will be 34 when the extension begins. Tony Parker is the only other player currently scheduled to be under contract following the 2009-10 season, but the Spurs also will be in position to re-sign their third star, Manu Ginobili, that summer if they want.

The Spurs also are expected to eventually extend Popovich’s contract to coincide with that of Duncan.

Joe Schmoogins
I wonder how many stars would actually leave 11 million on the table for the betterment of the team... This kind of stuff makes me proud to be a Spurs fan.

coopdogg3
10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I like how Pop is having his contract extended to coincide with Duncan's.

ShoogarBear
10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Ludden just pwned Ronald McDonald there. Although it really isn't fair, since Ludden still probably has better team contacts than McDonald.

There must be something more to it than this. Probably an understanding that when he retires, he'll get part ownership.

ShoogarBear
10-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Either that, or Peter Holt will pocket the $11 mil. :smokin

mystargtr34
10-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Wow. What an example. Awesome

Kori Ellis
10-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Good job, Ludden :lol

Tim's the man for taking that much less money. :tu

ShoogarBear
10-29-2007, 11:24 PM
What a message he's sending out to potential free agents: I left money on the table so you can come win a title with me.

Walter Craparita
10-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Respect.

This team and it's players are special. It'll be a sad day when the Spurs are like every other team out there.

timvp
10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Wow.

I literally don't know what to say.

Huge props to Duncan :tu

raspsa
10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
[QUOTEBut they also made a detailed presentation of their plans for the team’s long-term future and showed Duncan the possible impact of his accepting a lesser extension.[/QUOTE]

What I'd give to take a peek at those long-term plans... :reading :clap

MaNuMaNiAc
10-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Jesus!

I nominate Tim for NBA sainthood! The man virtually carries 4 Spurs teams comprised of very different supporting casts, to NBA titles and still has enough humility in him to do this. Seems too good to be true, perhaps there something under the table here... or it may be that Tim is just this good a sportsman.

Kori Ellis
10-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Popovich and Buford presented him with a maximum offer during the meeting. But they also made a detailed presentation of their plans for the team’s long-term future and showed Duncan the possible impact of his accepting a lesser extension.

Props to the Spurs for presenting it in this manner. I'm not sure how many other organizations do it this way. They re-assured Duncan from the get-go of negotiations that he could take the max if he wanted, but then also presented reasons why he shouldn't.

Nice job all around.

usckk
10-29-2007, 11:30 PM
now you see it now you don't

Yahoo! Sports - Document Not Found
The document you requested is not found.

It still works for me.

FromWayDowntown
Such wonderful news and such a respectful gesture by the Spurs and such a team-first gesture by a guy who is among the great teammates to ever play the game. Props all the way around!!

Now let's get this sucker started . . . .

Johnny_Blaze_47
now you see it now you don't

Yahoo! Sports - Document Not Found
The document you requested is not found.

It's there.

coopdogg3
2010 Master Plan - book it. :lol

timmy21_4rings
10-29-2007, 11:31 PM
GREAT BY A CHAMPION..

Look at Kobe, took max money and crying foul now...

timvp
I'm stunned, really. Leaving $11M on the table because he wants to win is beyond awesome. The guy has four championships and just proved beyond any reasonable doubt that he's all about winning. He could easily be satisfied with his four championships and cashed in. The Spurs would be good with or without the extra roster flexibility.

But to be at the top of your profession and continue to do everything you can to ensure continued success is extremely commendable. And that's an understatement.

These are the times when a Spurs fan should be proud of being a Spurs fan. The team you root for is all about winning ... and that's all we can really ask.

:tu X 10

Hemotivo
It's there.
Fixed, thanks

Dex
First Beno gone, now this. And I've already got that "Well at least there's a game tomorrow" reassurance.

Fan-freaking-tastic.

Gooshie
10-29-2007, 11:32 PM
I was hoping this would happen. Shame on me for wishing that Duncan would sacrifice some $$ at the end of his career for the betterment of the franchise. Deep down, I didn't think he would actually do it. But ho-lee-cow... he done did it. Unbelievable.
When all is said and done, Tim Duncan will have meant more to his franchise than any player in League history not named Bill Russell.

ShoogarBear
10-29-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm stunned, really. Leaving $11M on the table because he wants to win is beyond awesome. The guy has four championships and just proved beyond any reasonable doubt that he's all about winning. He could easily be satisfied with his four championships and cashed in. The Spurs would be good with or without the extra roster flexibility.

But to be at the top of your profession and continue to do everything you can to ensure continued success is extremely commendable. And that's an understatement.

These are the times when a Spurs fan should be proud of being a Spurs fan. The team you root for is all about winning ... and that's all we can really ask.

:tu X 10Not only that, but he's the one, the ONLY person in the league who could take the max and nobody would begrudge him a penny.

I still think he's getting a part ownership out of the deal, though.

timmy21_4rings
10-29-2007, 11:35 PM
I still think he's getting a part ownership out of the deal, though.

I do not think NBA players can be owner/part owner when they are still playing..

loveforthegame
Nice to see a player who really is about winning. Big props to Duncan and to the FO.

THE SIXTH MAN
God am I dreaming? So much good news in such a short span of time!

timvp
10-29-2007, 11:37 PM
I still think he's getting a part ownership out of the deal, though.IIRC, that'd be against the CBA rules. The Spurs would be punished severely for promising part ownership down the line. Plus Holt wasn't at the meeting, which to me would be mandatory if such talks occurred.

I don't think there is anything else to the story other than Duncan just decided to take less money. I need to see how this will affect the books down the line to figure out what the Spurs told Duncan, but I assume they pointed to a summer in which they'll have the caproom to open up enough room to bring in a max free agent.

duncan228
10-29-2007, 11:38 PM

His character shows in everything he does.
Again, like he does on the court, he has shown us the kind of man he his. The kind of team player he is.

I'm proud to be a Spurs fan.
I'm prouder to be a Duncan fan.

Russ
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
He wants 8 titles. Why not?

Leave it to the Spurs and Duncan to do something like this and no one hears a peep till it's done.

whottt
10-29-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't like it and let me tell you why....

Duncan has used his opting out and signing elsewhere leverage to force the Spurs into being commited to winning...he never let them get comfortable and think they could stop being competitive in FA and in pursuing every advantage...

Now...that leverage is gone and Duncan will no longer be able to apply it.

And that makes me a little nervous...Duncan's pressure on the FO is the reason we've won the last 3 titles....

I applaud Duncan for doing this of course, and I'm happy to see Duncan get rewarded with guranteed money up till 2012...

But I liked him being able to put pressure on the FO to surround him with talent...it's a big reason we've won these titles.

People are always asking about the difference between Drob and Duncan...that's it right there...Drob wouldn't put a gun to their head to field a winning team, he'd do it to make them a community focused organization, but not a championship contender...Duncan did put that pressure on the Spurs...every couple of years he's been able to apply it...and now he won't be able to apply it anymore. Makes me just a little bit nervous...the inmates now control the asylum.

ShoogarBear
10-29-2007, 11:43 PM
IIRC, that'd be against the CBA rules. The Spurs would be punished severely for promising part ownership down the line. Plus Holt wasn't at the meeting, which to me would be mandatory if such talks occurred.

I don't think there is anything else to the story other than Duncan just decided to take less money. I need to see how this will affect the books down the line to figure out what the Spurs told Duncan, but I assume they pointed to a summer in which they'll have the caproom to open up enough room to bring in a max free agent.I understand that an open or even implied verbal or written agreement would be Glen Taylor-stupid. But we've all been assuming that there has been some kind of an understanding between the Spurs and Bruce Bowen while they were renegotiating his contract downward and signing him at below-market rates. They could have been using the same sort of tactics.

Also, DRob got a small part ownership in the Spurs when he retired. I suspect that he didn't pay full price for that.

MagnusKrauss
10-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Are there any precedents for this? Has any other marquee player agreed to less money from the same team?

Duncan should get something named after him for this. maybe Duncantown, Texas? any takers?

-------------------------

magnusdrakenkrauss

Russ
10-29-2007, 11:44 PM

Duncan has used his opting out and signing elsewhere leverage to force the Spurs into being commited to winning...he never let them get comfortable and think they could stop being competitive in FA and in pursuing every advantage...

And that makes me a little nervous...Duncan's pressure on the FO is the reason we've won the last 3 titles....

I applaud Duncan for doing this of course, and I'm happy to see Duncan get rewarded with guranteed money up till 2012...

But I liked him being able to put pressure on the FO to surround him with talent...it's a big reason we've won these titles.

People are always asking about the difference between Drob and Duncan...that's it right there...Drob wouldn't put a gun to their head to field a winning team, he'd do it to make them a community focused organization, but not a championship contender...Duncan did put that pressure on the Spurs...every couple of years he's been able to apply it...and now he won't be able to apply it anymore. Makes me just a little bit nervous...the inmates now control the asylum.
The fact that Duncan is signed long term will likely attract more talent than any threat by him (real or implied) to leave.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Seriously, it has been damn good to be a Spurs fan in the Duncan era. I don't think there is one other team, front office and roster, in the whole league, that gives their following such a feeling of easiness. Now, I understand us Spurs fans like to overreact to every little move by our front office, but really think about it...

Yeah you can bitch about some stupid trade (ex. Scola) and you can criticize Holt for being cheap, but is there another front office that has managed to build a franchise like this, where respect and professionalism are the norm? No scandal, no controversy, just continued, harmonious success... and behind it all, two great selfless sportsmen Tim and Pop!

Its good to be a Spurs fan! Here's to the good times, past, present and by the looks of it, a great and prosperous future! :toast

duncan228
10-29-2007, 11:45 PM

Weren't we redently discussing the "different" Duncan of these last couple of post seasons?
The Duncan that's more vocal? A little mean, if you will?

He'll still apply pressure on the FO to win.
He's their golden ticket. They know it.
They'll keep him happy, keep a contending team around him.
This is not the Lakers.
Duncan doesn't need $ or opt out threats to get what he needs from the Spurs.

ShoogarBear
10-29-2007, 11:46 PM

People are always asking about the difference between Drob and Duncan...that's it right there...Drob wouldn't put a gun to their head to field a winning team, he'd do it to make them a community focused organization, but not a championship contender...Duncan did put that pressure on the Spurs...every couple of years he's been able to apply it...and now he won't be able to apply it anymore. Makes me just a little bit nervous...the inmates now control the asylum.That was why I made my only half-joke about Holt pocketing the money.

But what Duncan loses in contractual pressure he gains in media pressure.

What do you think woul happen if he went public with a statement like "I left $11 million on the table and now ownership isn't using it to improve the team"? That's pretty good leverage.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Hmm, are they any certain rookie deals ending after 2009-10?

Maybe one Greg Oden, Kevin Durant...

Joe Schmoogins
10-29-2007, 11:49 PM
One of my favorite posters (KBP) recently said: The Spurs aren't fools. It's true. They know that Duncan is their ticket to championships. They also know that as long as he is here they are legit contenders every season, and they need to surround him with talent to get the job done. No need to worry about it... Duncan doesn't need leverage. He has the fo's respect.

raspsa
10-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Well, they had to find the money somewhere to pay pop's salary.. :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
This is phenomenal news, and huge props to Tim Duncan for leaving that much change on the table for the good of the franchise :tu

whottt
10-29-2007, 11:51 PM
He'll still apply pressure on the FO to win.

He's got no leverage to do it anymore...this contract takes Duncan to a reasonably advanced age, to the point where you have to consider he will no longer have that kind of superstar/the franchise leverage at the end of it.

He's their golden ticket. They know it.

And for the first time in his career...they've got him by the balls, instead of vice versa.

This is not the Lakers.

The hell he doesn't...it wasn't but about 3 years ago Tony Parker nearly walked over 2 million dollars...

You never trust the business part of it over the individual...

The Spurs have never been able to completely be certain Duncan was going to spend the rest of his career here...until now. Now it's virtually a done deal...and he's got no more leverage against them. And no...I don't trust them to work as hard at it without that leverage being applied.

Of course I'm happy this makes it a virtual lock Duncan will finish his career as a Spur...and as always...it speaks well of Duncan that he took one for the team...

But you know...he did this the last time as well. Left money on the table and didn't take the max he could have...and he also had that opt out to hold over their heads, at a point when he could still be at his dominant peak.

I don't mean to make it sound like it's a negative...because it really isn't...at the same time, I don't trust the business aspect of the Spurs to always place a priority on winning...

milkyway21
10-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Spurs extend Tim Duncan for about 40 million for 2 years!!! He took a lower price to allow the Spurs more flexibility too!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An..KnWd5pjy40xSGjPPnKA5nYcB?slug=jy-tim102907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

this is GOOD NEWS ! .

Tim Duncan shows how he loves San Antonio and this team.

:elephant

Big P
10-29-2007, 11:55 PM
He's got no leverage to do it anymore...this contract takes Duncan to a reasonably advanced age, to the point where you have to consider he will no longer have that kind of superstar/the franchise leverage at the end of it.

And for the first time in his career...they've got him by the balls, instead of vice versa.

The hell he doesn't...it wasn't but about 3 years ago Tony Parker nearly walked over 2 million dollars...

The Spurs have never been able to completely be certain Duncan was going to spend the rest of his career here...until now. Now it's virtually a done deal...and he's got no more leverage against them. And no...I don't trust them to work as hard at it without that leverage being applied.

Of course I'm happy this makes it a virtual lock Duncan will finish his career as a Spur...and as always...it speaks well of Duncan that he took one for the team...

But you know...he did this the last time as well. Left money on the table and didn't take the max he could have...and he also had that opt out to hold over their heads, at a point when he could still be at his dominant peak.

I don't mean to make it sound like it's a negative...because it really isn't...at the same time, I don't trust the business aspect of the Spurs to always place a priority on winning...

Dude..STFU already...go find another team to cheer for..its apparent that the Spurs can't do anything right..We only extended him by 2 years for $11 mil than what he could & should have taken, now we have him by the balls and he wont want to win..classic.

Gooshie
Potential Free Agents in 2010:
Wade
LeBron
Carmelo

boutons_
What a wonderful epoch to be a Spurs fan, Tim + Pop, pure gold.

whottt
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
What do you think woul happen if he went public with a statement like "I left $11 million on the table and now ownership isn't using it to improve the team"? That's pretty good leverage.

This is true...and Duncan may have thought that leverage would be more powerful by then then another optout....

But anyone that thinks Duncan doesn't apply this pressure to the Spurs, extremely effectively....hasn't been watching his career. This is not something that just sounds good....Duncan has always been noncommital about his future in SA...and he used that to manipulate the Spurs into being a winning organization...

He also used it, to manipulate the city of SA into building the AT&T Center...

This is what Duncan did that made the biggest impact on this team IMO...

Most guys want longterm deals and max years with max dollars...Duncan has never gone for it...not a single time, and it's highly unusual...it's also kept the Spurs on their toes for his entire career, and made them the championship organization they have become.

SpursFanFirst
10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
What an awesome off/preseason!!!! We picked up some nice players, Beno is gone, Duncan is sticking around (at a discount, no less)...and now? It's officially game day! :danceclub

timvp
10-30-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't like it and let me tell you why....I just started laughing when I read that. I wanted to see how you could spin this.

People are always asking about the difference between Drob and Duncan...that's it right there...Drob wouldn't put a gun to their head to field a winning team, he'd do it to make them a community focused organization, but not a championship contender...Duncan did put that pressure on the Spurs...every couple of years he's been able to apply it...and now he won't be able to apply it anymore. Makes me just a little bit nervous...the inmates now control the asylum.1) Duncan can now say "I sacrificed $11M so you better go out and spend it on who I say". That's a pretty powerful piece of ammunition Duncan has at his disposal.

If Holt tries to be cheap, Duncan can pull the "I gave you money" card. That's perhaps the most powerful card that a player can use on an owner. Duncan could tell Holt that he's leaving and Holt wouldn't care because he could sell the team for like a $400M profit. But if Duncan tells Holt to spend the money he gave him, there's little else Holt could do than just spend the money.

2) Duncan has been under contract for a while now. It's not like he was going year to year to force the Spurs to keep winning. And really, Duncan hasn't been a threat to leave since the 2000 season. No team can pay him anywhere close to as much as the Spurs can since the CBA was changed.

3) This extension was expected. By your wording, you act surprised that Duncan got extended. Duncan confirmed last year that he'd extend his deal. I don't see a way to spin this to say Duncan has lost some clout. If anything, Duncan just became higher on the food chain in the decision-making process and now he has tangible reasons for why Holt should pony up money when asked.

If you remember right, it was Duncan who said that he'd pay the difference between what Holt was offering Parker and what Parker wanted. Duncan saying that had no effect on the negotiations. However, in the future, Duncan can point to the money he contributed to the Spurs and say he already paid the money. Basically, Duncan will have much more say than he had previously.

whottt
Dude..STFU already...go find another team to cheer for..its apparent that the Spurs can't do anything right..We only extended him by 2 years for $11 mil than what he could & should have taken, now we have him by the balls and he wont want to win..classic.

You STFU you illiterate fuck...learn to read first, then post.

remingtonbo2001
Are there any precedents for this? Has any other marquee player agreed to less money from the same team?

Duncan should get something named after him for this. maybe Duncantown, Texas? any takers?

magnusdrakenkrauss

Yeah....I believe David Robinson did, for the very reason of keeping Duncan. I think the whole D-Rob, CWebb fiasco put him in a bad light....

boutons_
10-30-2007, 12:02 AM
$244K per season game.

duncan228
10-30-2007, 12:02 AM

You do give me food for thought.
I can see each of your points clearly.
But I trust Duncan.
I don't think he would have done this if he didn't trust the organization to do the right thing by him.
He's brought 4 Championships to this team.
And he's not done.

I think everyone knew Duncan would retire a Spur. Whether he had an opt out or not. He helped them by leaving $ to continue to build this team. Around him.
I don't think they'll break his trust in them. I think they'll stay committed to winning. He's shown them that he can bring the Trophy home with different casts of characters around him. They'll bring him what he needs over these next few years. And he'll bring them the Championships.

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I'll be interested to see how this plays out in the national media. If it was Garnett or Kobe who took less money to help the club, they'd be hailed as saints. With Duncan, I'll be mildly surprised if it gets much more than a mention.

spursfan09
10-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Tim could always demand a trade, if he feels the Spurs are not builing around him like they should be. That could be alot of leverage...

Anyways I am so happy he will be with us an extra 2 years. He is very loyal. Hopefully this rubs off on a certain point guard who has talked about leaving when his contract is up.

whottt
10-30-2007, 12:07 AM
I just started laughing when I read that. I wanted to see how you could spin this.

Hey...you're the one on the Spurs for being about $$$ instead of winning this past summer.

1) Duncan can now say "I sacrificed $11M so you better go out and spend it on who I say". That's a pretty powerful piece of ammunition Duncan has at his disposal.

True...and I agreed with Shoogar when he made that point.

He may have decided that's better than another opt out at the age of 33 or so.

If Holt tries to be cheap, Duncan can pull the "I gave you money" card. That's perhaps the most powerful card that a player can use on an owner. Duncan could tell Holt that he's leaving and Holt wouldn't care because he could sell the team for like a $400M profit. But if Duncan tells Holt to spend the money he gave him, there's little else Holt could do than just spend the money.

2) Duncan has been under contract for a while now. It's not like he was going year to year to force the Spurs to keep winning. And really, Duncan hasn't been a threat to leave since the 2000 season. No team can pay him anywhere close to as much as the Spurs can since the CBA was changed.

3) This extension was expected. By your wording, you act surprised that Duncan got extended. Duncan confirmed last year that he'd extend his deal. I don't see a way to spin this to say Duncan has lost some clout. If anything, Duncan just became higher on the food chain in the decision-making process and now he has tangible reasons for why Holt should pony up money when asked.

If you remember right, it was Duncan who said that he'd pay the difference between what Holt was offering Parker and what Parker wanted. Duncan saying that had no effect on the negotiations. However, in the future, Duncan can point to the money he contributed to the Spurs and say he already paid the money. Basically, Duncan will have much more say than he had previously.

It could be he actually increased his leverage over what another opt out would have given him...due to the age he would have been.

I'll concede that point...

At the same time...I've gotten used to that leverage Duncan had...I've grown quite fond of it...and I've marveled at the way he's used it to prod the Spurs where he wanted them to go...

The thing about Holt is....

The worry of loss of Duncan to FA has always been to the Spurs...not just about championships, not about PR, but about winning period...about ticket sales, about playoff revenue.

If he walked there was always a chance all that would go out the window...now he's just got PR or retirement leverage, they can tell him(and us) to FO, and still make the playoffs, sell tickets etc, assuming he doesn't retire. I don't know that'll be as effective.

I'll miss him having the Spurs by the balls....

Just sayin'.

ShoogarBear
10-30-2007, 12:08 AM
He's so boring he doesn't know how to spend $11 million. I bet Steve Nash would take that money and know how to spend it!

jackseven
10-30-2007, 12:08 AM
What a gesture by Tim Duncan. He didn't have to take less. He deserved every bit of that $11,000,000 and more. Everybody would have been happy that he stayed with the Spurs. In a present day where A-Rod (who can't get the job done when it counts) turns down a 5 year contract for $30 million/year, for him to take $11 million less for the better of the team is unreal, simply amazing.

I'm shocked and very proud of Tim Duncan.

Thanks Tim. Your actions speak very loud.

milkyway21
10-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Potential Free Agents in 2010:
Wade
LeBron
Carmelowow:wow

any big men? I think I'd leave LeBroom's name out of contention. He wants to be one of the richest men on the World. S.A.might not be IT.

It brought memories of how $1m made a difference in re-signing Parker the last time. (Duncan even offered to pay, only it wasn't allowed). It took how many days? It amazes me Duncan didn't mind an $$11m cut this time :lol

whottt
10-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Duncan did almost the same thing after 2002.

ShoogarBear
10-30-2007, 12:11 AM
I sure hope Tim talked this over with Amy first . . .

timvp
10-30-2007, 12:16 AM
I'll miss him having the Spurs by the balls....When was the last time anyone thought Duncan was serious about leaving?

Once Duncan re-signed in 2000 and with the CBA rules as they are, there has been virtually no chance he could walk. There was a small chance around the Steve Smith era if things started spiraling downward and yet the Spurs didn't react by spending more money to appease Duncan. In fact they let free agents walk and relied on the draft. That doesn't sound like a franchise that is in a panic mode to improve right away.

And once he re-signed again in 2003, he was under contract all the way through next summer. What leverage was he using for the last two championships? He had no "I'mma leave if you don't spend money" leverage. If he couldn't get Holt to pay Parker $2M over six-years, that shows how far his leverage had slipped.

Now he has actual tangible leverage that he can flex instead of just saying he's going to leave at the age of 33 and take less money to join the Memphis Grizzlies or whoever has salary cap room next year :lol

timvp
10-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Duncan did almost the same thing after 2002.That wasn't really comparable. If I remember correctly, he opted out of his contract and signed for more money, however the first year paid him less than if he didn't opt out. By doing that, it opened up about $1.5M of cap room the Spurs could use to go after free agents that summer.

He didn't actually give up money, he just rearranged his year to year percentage increases, basically.

Gooshie
10-30-2007, 12:18 AM
wow:wow

any big men? I think I'd leave LeBroom's name out of contention. He wants to be one of the richest men on the World. S.A.might not be IT.

It brought memories of how $1m made a difference in re-signing Parker the last time. (Duncan even offered to pay, only it wasn't allowed). It took how many days? It amazes me Duncan didn't mind an $$11m cut this time :lol

I'm not sure if Chris Bosh has an opt-out clause in 2010 like those 3 or not.

I think the most realistic target would be Wade. By that time, Shaq and Riley will be all but gone, and he'll be looking for a new place. He knows what it takes to win, and he knows first-hand how a Hall of Fame big man and a Hall of Fame coach can make life easier for him.

Plus, it seems as if Pop and Wade have a good relationship from the 2004 Olympics.

duncan228
10-30-2007, 12:20 AM
I'll be interested to see how this plays out in the national media. If it was Garnett or Kobe who took less money to help the club, they'd be hailed as saints. With Duncan, I'll be mildly surprised if it gets much more than a mention.

Sad but true.
I get alerts on Duncan from various sources. So far tonight not a word.
Everything with Kobe's name in it I get multiples of the second it happens.

I will say it again though.
I think he's the best in this league.
On and off the court.
It's the NBA's and the media's loss that they haven't found a way that they can market him better.

I'm glad I follow him.
It's an honor to be a Duncan fan. And not just tonight.

exstatic
10-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Most guys want longterm deals and max years with max dollars...Duncan has never gone for it...not a single time
Except for the seven year MAX deal he's on now, you mean. He signed it in 2003, and while it had the year 5 opt out clause (which he now cannot use), that's pretty standard these days. Tim had a 3 year rookie contract, one short 3 year MAX deal, and one full length MAX deal. He also has all of the leverage he needs, as he can simply retire any time he feels the Spurs aren't putting a Championship product on the floor.

whottt
10-30-2007, 12:30 AM

I'm going to challenge you on this point, Duncan was non commital when his last contract was up..

And just to prove he meant it for the sake of this argument...Duncan didn't take the home town deal on his last contract...IIRC, he took the deal he could have gotten from any team....the six year deal.

3) This extension was expected. By your wording, you act surprised that Duncan got extended.

Oh I'm not surprised they wanted to extend him...I am surprised he changed his strategy though...

Then again...

This summer was the first time I've ever heard Duncan clearly say, with no qualifieers he planned on finishing his career as a Spur and wanted to do so.

Duncan confirmed last year that he'd extend his deal. I don't see a way to spin this to say Duncan has lost some clout. If anything, Duncan just became higher on the food chain in the decision-making process and now he has tangible reasons for why Holt should pony up money when asked.

If you remember right, it was Duncan who said that he'd pay the difference between what Holt was offering Parker and what Parker wanted. Duncan saying that had no effect on the negotiations.

Yeah..that wasn't a threat to leave.

However, in the future, Duncan can point to the money he contributed to the Spurs and say he already paid the money.

I'll concede that...

Basically, Duncan will have much more say than he had previously.

I won't concede that...I don't think he has as much leverage now as he's had in the past. But he might have more now than he would have if he waited till the opt out...that's a legitimate point.

I hope you're right though...and I hope the Spurs honor what he did in the spirit it was intended...but it's one thing for Pop and RC to want do that...and it's entirely another to get Holt to do it...without the threat of losing his mealticket. Then again...his mealticket value probably wouldn't be as much as it has been by the time this contract ran out.

whottt
10-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Except for the seven year MAX deal he's on now, you mean. He signed it in 2003, and while it had the year 5 opt out clause (which he now cannot use), that's pretty standard these days. Tim had a 3 year rookie contract, one short 3 year MAX deal, and one full length MAX deal. He also has all of the leverage he needs, as he can simply retire any time he feels the Spurs aren't putting a Championship product on the floor.

False...the deal he's on now is not the max deal he could have gotten...he did not take all the money he could have gotten on his last contract.

He might have taken the 7 year deal, but he didn't take everything he could have gotten...we made a big deal about it on the forum at the time.

I don't know enough about the CBA(then or now) to know the specifics...but I know he didn't take the max he could have gotten.

whottt
10-30-2007, 12:38 AM
That wasn't really comparable. If I remember correctly, he opted out of his contract and signed for more money, however the first year paid him less than if he didn't opt out. By doing that, it opened up about $1.5M of cap room the Spurs could use to go after free agents that summer.

He didn't actually give up money, he just rearranged his year to year percentage increases, basically.

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure he left some money on the table on that deal. Maybe I'm wrong...it could have been something like you said there...but it seemed like he did leave money on the table on his last deal.

whottt
10-30-2007, 12:40 AM
He also has all of the leverage he needs, as he can simply retire any time he feels the Spurs aren't putting a Championship product on the floor.

A retirement won't cause a fan revolt/(ticket backlash) like him leaving for another team becuse the Spurs won't commit to winning...it's not the same kind of leverage.

Fernando TD21
10-30-2007, 12:45 AM
One more reason for me to have Duncan as my favourite player. Props to his parents and whoever educated him while he was growing up. You don't see people like Duncan very often, you only hear about the greedy ones. I know he doesn't really need more $$, he won't miss those 11mi. But what he did shows his type of character and that is what separates him from other NBA stars.

Less :greedy , more :flag:, that's a true winner mentality.

:clap :toast

:worthy: Tim Duncan

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 12:45 AM
duncan didnt just loss 11m, isnt the new CBA agreement around the corner?

he shouldve wait after it like how the lebron class took 3yr deals instead of max deals...and see what the new cba had to offer....

Russ
10-30-2007, 01:00 AM
The real story here is not that Duncan will keep playing for the Spurs (which we all knew) but rather that he will play through 2112 (which we could only wonder about).

That could be a lot more rings.

I think Duncan has a sense of history and wants to write some -- as much to tweak the hypocrites who pay lip service to all the right things and then rush in for the glitz as for anything else.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-30-2007, 01:22 AM
I wonder how many stars would actually leave 11 million on the table for the betterment of the team... This kind of stuff makes me proud to be a Spurs fan.

Exactly! Very few NBA stars would ever consider not taking the maximum offered them (and the FO did offer the $51mil!).

David set the standard, and Tim follows in his footsteps.

Our guys ROCK. :fro

misterx91578
10-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Duncan :elephant :clap

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 01:47 AM
seems like a fair deal to me, once you take into consideration income tax free compared to other states....

im rich biatches

Barbarian
10-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Props to Duncan. Classy move...Classy guy. He just wants to win and this just shows it.

baseline bum
10-30-2007, 02:07 AM
Man, that is awesome to have Tim on the Spurs for at least two more years after 2010. What a great day to be a Spurs fan: two more years from our franchise's best player, AND he leaves ~ $5 million extra in cap room to help the team re-sign Manu and maybe pick up another impact player in 10-11.

hsxvvd
10-30-2007, 02:10 AM

magnusdrakenkrauss

Didn't Shaq do this a few years back? Or did he extend his deal for longer but less per year? Somebody with more knowledge than me should know, but I'm sure I heard something like this a few years ago?

whottt
10-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Didn't Shaq do this a few years back? Or did he extend his deal for longer but less per year? Somebody with more knowledge than me should know, but I'm sure I heard something like this a few years ago?

Taking pay cuts isn't something Shaq is known for.

I think KG did something like that, but I don't think Shaq's done anything of the sort. If he did? He did it kicking and screaming all the ay.

Mister Sinister
10-30-2007, 02:21 AM
Wow. Just, wow. :toast x a gabajillion to Timmy for this.

milkyway21
10-30-2007, 02:23 AM
AND he leaves ~ $5 million extra in cap room to help the team re-sign Manu and maybe pick up another impact player in 10-11.

I'm 100% excited over this. A player w/ all-star caliber can join us :lol. Duncan is staying a Spur. TP is getting better. Manu is healthy. Duncan who made those 4 titles possible is locked up, we won't be chasing him for more yrs.

San Antonio you are so lucky :angel.

I can't wait for the NBA season to begin.

Bruno
10-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Great news. :elephant
A team first move made by a team first player.

In fact Duncan didn't really turn $11M but $9M. Duncan could have sign a $51M/2 years extension but it would have almost for sure been adjusted to a $49M/2 years extension at the start of the 2010/2011 season. It's because of a rule on players above the maximum salary.

We can too start to think at the 2010 master plan. :smokin

mattyc
10-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Tim Duncan is panels better than any sports star anywhere.

timvp
10-30-2007, 02:54 AM
We can too start to think at the 2010 master plan. :smokinI thought you didn't believe in master plans?

:hat

porscha
10-30-2007, 03:11 AM
:clap :clap Saint Duncan
D-rob, Duncan, Manu..they all do whatever for the team and put themself in the second!
I would like to see Tony do the same in the future .... will he?

Duncan Duncan I love you :toast :toast

Bruno
10-30-2007, 03:17 AM
I thought you didn't believe in master plans?

:hat

I don't believe in the 2008 one. :)

ChumpDumper
10-30-2007, 03:18 AM
This is all good. Duncan doesn't need to have the Spurs by the balls because the Spurs have proven they will spend up to and above the luxury tax threshold. There are only two teams that are slated to stay appreciably above the threshold over the next few years, and Dallas isn't one of them.

So unless Tim wants to be a Knick, we shouldn't worry.

porscha
10-30-2007, 03:22 AM
why no news at spurs.com?

mystargtr34
10-30-2007, 03:33 AM
So as of next season...

Rashard Lewis > Tim Duncan

On to the Shaq point. In the 2004/2005 season Shaq was due to make something like $26million but he resigned on at a $20million clip??? I think im right...

polandprzem
10-30-2007, 04:07 AM
Hmm why Duncan did not took minimum?

All he wants is money!

Johnny RIngo
10-30-2007, 04:41 AM
Anybody know a website with the updated roster/salaries?

AFBlue
10-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Ludden just pwned Ronald McDonald there. Although it really isn't fair, since Ludden still probably has better team contacts than McDonald.

I actually think Ludden asked the Spurs FO for exclusive coverage of this story in order to launch his yahoo career. It was the first big story that he had some control over.

Probably a favor for all the "mouthpiecing" he did while with the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Taking pay cuts isn't something Shaq is known for.

I think KG did something like that, but I don't think Shaq's done anything of the sort. If he did? He did it kicking and screaming all the ay.

shaq was askn for 100m/4 yrs i think

but he took 80m/4yrs only

better than nothing

and plz dont bring up KG his done nothing, by the time he realise to restructure his contract, the damage has been done to the wolves cap to sign any players...

VaSpursFan
10-30-2007, 07:05 AM
timmy and the spurs braintrust are the gold standard for the nba...and the shipped fatty out of town...great way to start the season!!!

Spurs Brazil
10-30-2007, 07:15 AM
TD is great

For me the best Spur all time

BeerIsGood!
10-30-2007, 07:31 AM
The real story here is not that Duncan will keep playing for the Spurs (which we all knew) but rather that he will play through 2112 (which we could only wonder about).

That could be a lot more rings.

:wow

105 years does bring a lot of opportunity...

Supergirl
10-30-2007, 07:48 AM
D-Rob's legacy endures....he set the tone for franchise players in SA signing for less than they *could* get in order to keep the team competitive.

wildbill2u
10-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Just sayin'.
There's always some asshole who's life is so miserable all he can see is a black lining in everything. If God had made caramel apples in the Garden of Eden, you'd say they look like shit.

On a day when the FO and Tim have shown the rest of the league how the Spurs are all about the trust and respect that has been built between players and management, GIVE IT A REST!

Just sayin'

mystargtr34
10-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah props to D-Rob...how lucky are we...

Anyway, you think it was some sort of guilt trip from RC and Holt :D

Ok Tim, you can have the max...but uhh if you take it, we can only put horse shit around you from 2010.

BeerIsGood!
10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
There's always some asshole who's life is so miserable all he can see is a black lining in everything. If God had made caramel apples in the Garden of Eden, you'd say they look like shit.

On a day when the FO and Tim have shown the rest of the league how the Spurs are all about the trust and respect that has been built between players and management, GIVE IT A REST!

Just sayin'

Ah, lay off Whottt. It's always good to have a devil's advocate, someone who keeps this from becoming a giant circle jerk. He's damn good at spinning things and it makes from some interesting reads.

LoveMySpurs
10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Class act, class team. What great role models for kids considering all the felons out there that call themselves professional athletes. Proud to be a SPURS fan!!! Even more to cheer about tonight at the game!!!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
I actually think Ludden asked the Spurs FO for exclusive coverage of this story in order to launch his yahoo career. It was the first big story that he had some control over.

Probably a favor for all the "mouthpiecing" he did while with the Spurs.
If that's his intent, Johnny's not getting very far with this story -- at least not so far. I haven't seen one peep on ESPN about an extension for Duncan, much less under the favorable terms that Johnny has reported.

It has been reported by the Express-News, though.

The concern about how the big national media will treat this story (and Duncan's magnanimous gesture) might be justified -- it's not as if this is some uncorroborated story at this point, but it still seems to not be on ESPN's radar.

easjer
10-30-2007, 09:22 AM
So is this official or confirmed yet? It's been printed on Yahoo by Ludden and reported by the Express-News. Any other sources? Any official word?

Waking up to this and Beno's travel plans made me tear up. Ring ceremony tonight. Game tonight. Season begins. Beno is gone. And Timmy has made me proud to be a Spurs fan and happy to be a Spurs fan.

What he's done can't be entirely quantified. To free up the FO to know exactly what they are going to do next, and know where he stands. . . that's incalculable. To take less money (and sure, it's easier to be magnanimous when you can cuddle up with $40 million at night) . . . no one does that anymore. He's just insured that the Spurs will stay competitive through 2012, and likely beyond. We don't have to fear the 2009 season ending anymore.

hater
10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Tim is a fucking genius. He wants more rings. now if the fucking fans living in sananton would attend the games!

Budkin
10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Timmy is just.... wow, we are so lucky to have that guy on our team.

GrandeDavid
10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
If someone ever knocks the notion of playing in "small market" San Antonio, just use this as an example why its not so bad. And nobody can ever knock anything about Duncan or the organization now.

angel_luv
10-30-2007, 10:13 AM

Yea! :clap

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
hey would it have been better had duncan played out his contract and tested FA market? does that mean we also have his bird rights? we can always sign a marquee player thats on the market, then resign duncan to what he wants....wouldnt that create more flexibility for spurs in the FA market?

Ronaldo McDonald
10-30-2007, 10:37 AM

in this day and age it's a stretch to say that this would happen 1/20 times. Duncan I guess was the 1/20+ players who would go for less money...which is just kick ass.

doing things for the betterment of the team these days i guess is crap compared to buying a new set of rims and bling....

Ronaldo McDonald
10-30-2007, 10:40 AM
btw i hate it sooooo fucking much when people feel sorry for guys like KG and Kobe who couldn't take less for the betterment of their respective teams.

FUCK hem and FUCK anyone who feels sorry for them.

telecomguy
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
duncan didnt just loss 11m, isnt the new CBA agreement around the corner?

he shouldve wait after it like how the lebron class took 3yr deals instead of max deals...and see what the new cba had to offer....

We should hope that if the new CBA agreement bumps up the MAX ceiling, Holt would be smart enough to offer additional money to Duncan without being asked as a jesture of good faith. Not sure if this ever happens (the reverse of player taking less money) where the team actually rips up the contract to extend or add more money due special circumstance or whatever the reason may be. It would be somewhat embarrassing for Spurs & Holt to be paying Duncan 50% of other superstars due to the new CBA agreement and hopefully they will do the right thing and bump up Duncan's salary on Holt's own initiative.

phxspurfan
10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
It looks like the Spurs / Duncan have just extended my fan contract until 2012.

waly.mg
10-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Either that, or Peter Holt will pocket the $11 mil. :smokin

Not really

In 2010/2011 the spurs will be over the Luxury Tax if TD get the max contract, so the 11 millions are really 22

~Sweetmelody~
10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Yay! :elephant

dbreiden83080
10-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Timmy is just the MAN. You got A-Rod telling the Yanks that 30 mil a year is an insult and he is hitting the free agent market and Timmy takes 11 mil less than he could have got to stay a Spur and give them cap space. He is one of the classiest guys in sports period. :toast

waly.mg
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
20 or 30 millions are a lot of money to play ball, so if you are OK with your team, is only a number, 20 or 30 millions

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
If that's his intent, Johnny's not getting very far with this story -- at least not so far. I haven't seen one peep on ESPN about an extension for Duncan, much less under the favorable terms that Johnny has reported.

It has been reported by the Express-News, though.

The concern about how the big national media will treat this story (and Duncan's magnanimous gesture) might be justified -- it's not as if this is some uncorroborated story at this point, but it still seems to not be on ESPN's radar.

FWD, it's on the front page of ESPN.com now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3086623

florige
10-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Well I have to say guys, things are really starting to look up since the whole dreaded Scola fiasco.

Ghost Writer
10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I dig it.

:cooldevil

T Park
10-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Well Well Well....... :)

703 Spurz
10-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Seriously, it has been damn good to be a Spurs fan in the Duncan era. I don't think there is one other team, front office and roster, in the whole league, that gives their following such a feeling of easiness. Now, I understand us Spurs fans like to overreact to every little move by our front office, but really think about it...

Yeah you can bitch about some stupid trade (ex. Scola) and you can criticize Holt for being cheap, but is there another front office that has managed to build a franchise like this, where respect and professionalism are the norm? No scandal, no controversy, just continued, harmonious success... and behind it all, two great selfless sportsmen Tim and Pop!

Its good to be a Spurs fan! Here's to the good times, past, present and by the looks of it, a great and prosperous future! :toast

It certainly has been a good time being a Spurs fan all these years. You know that there'll always be people out there with comments to make.

Slomo
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
WOW!

Abbsolutely.

:tux1536582353766794!

tlongII
10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Very impressive. Duncan is a terrific player and person. Too bad this year is his last chance at winning another championship.

Il Caraibico
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
yeah! :downspin:

slayermin
10-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Props to TD. I hope this means we keep Manu into his mid 30's. Shoot, now Horry might stick around until 2012 too. J/K

Spurs Brazil
10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Tim (Toledo): Are you unwilling to comment on any of today's news out of San Antonio--even by Pop/Buford standards, it's been a banner day?

John Hollinger: (3:44 PM ET ) I'd like to see the fine print first, but if they really got Duncan to take what amounts to a pay cut on his extension, that's pretty amazing.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17848

10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
wow go mr.tim duncan :clap :clap :clap :hungry: stay hungry mr.tim duncan. :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :spin :spin :blah :blah

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
FWD, it's on the front page of ESPN.com now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3086623
I finally saw that a little while ago. That's an improvement.

I maintain that if this story had broken about Garnett or Kobe, the lede wouldn't be the extension itself, but the voluntary choice to take less money to aid the franchise.

I guess I should just realize that things like that, when it comes to Tim Duncan, are just expected and not particularly newsworthy. In that sense, I really appreciate Tim's ability and willingness to set an example -- it reminds me a bit of that time a couple of years ago when Tim and Iverson were coming back from injury at the same time; Iverson made a big stink about how he shouldn't have to come off the bench and Tim responded the very next night by coming off the bench against the T'Wolves. It's Tim's one career appearance in which he did not start, but the message was sent loudly and clearly, I think. This act, it seems to me, does a similar thing. Whether anyone will follow suit or whether Tim will, again, be a lone beacon of relative virtue (he could have asked that the team donate his entire salary to charities or something like that, I guess; he could have also agreed to a deal for the minimum) on this speaks volumes about his character.

Not surprising that ESPN and others would miss that point.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
:tu Duncan is the epitome of a team player. :)

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Timmy is just the MAN. You got A-Rod telling the Yanks that 30 mil a year is an insult and he is hitting the free agent market and Timmy takes 11 mil less than he could have got to stay a Spur and give them cap space. He is one of the classiest guys in sports period. :toast

hey man i dont get how some baseball players earn more than NBA players, when they play less games...

inconvertible
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Tom Brady did the same thing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Wasn't it Peyton?

ducks
10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
IIRC, that'd be against the CBA rules. The Spurs would be punished severely for promising part ownership down the line. Plus Holt wasn't at the meeting, which to me would be mandatory if such talks occurred.

I don't think there is anything else to the story other than Duncan just decided to take less money. I need to see how this will affect the books down the line to figure out what the Spurs told Duncan, but I assume they pointed to a summer in which they'll have the caproom to open up enough room to bring in a max free agent.

gee if that little greedy james would take less money he might have a point guard :smokin

ducks
10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
so it looks like the spurs gm are going to get the gm award this year

ducks
10-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Man, that is awesome to have Tim on the Spurs for at least two more years after 2010. What a great day to be a Spurs fan: two more years from our franchise's best player, AND he leaves ~ $5 million extra in cap room to help the team re-sign Manu and maybe pick up another impact player in 10-11.
do you really think they will resign manu?
hope manu will take less to be a spur but denver almost made a bid on him last time

dbreiden83080
10-30-2007, 10:49 PM
This is not the Lakers.

Exactly Duncan is a once in a lifetime type of player and they know it. They have a 3 or 4 year window here, maybe a little longer where they will have a shot at more rings and then the franchise while it may be competitive may never be the same again. These are the glory years for the Spurs where they are leaving their mark on the history of the league and they are not going to blow it by not standing by their word to keep the talent around Timmy after this gesture of his on top of everything else he's done for them.

TampaDude
10-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Exactly Duncan is a once in a lifetime type of player and they know it. They have a 3 or 4 year window here, maybe a little longer where they will have a shot at more rings and then the franchise while it may be competitive may never be the same again. These are the glory years for the Spurs where they are leaving their mark on the history of the league and they are not going to blow it by not standing by their word to keep the talent around Timmy after this gesture of his on top of everything else he's done for them.

Exactly! :flag:

milkyway21
10-31-2007, 02:35 AM
Popovich also showed reporters gathered around him before Tuesday's tip-off a cartoon he got from a newspaper several years ago. It depicted a player sitting in a main office, a coach waiting outside to see him and an administrative assistant. Popovich had labeled the player "TD" and the coach "Pop." The cartoon's caption read: "The Franchise will see you now, coach." :D

Holt's Cat
10-31-2007, 12:52 PM
After a few weeks of deliberation, Duncan agreed to the $40 million extension. He will make $22.2 million in the final year of his current contract, with his salary dropping to about $18.7 million in the first year of the extension.

So instead of TD demanding the max extension of $24.5 mil in 2010-11 and $26.9 mil in 2011-12 he will take $18.7 mil in 2010-11 and $21.3 mil in 2011-12, ostensibly freeing up $5.8 mil in 2010-11 and $5.6 mil in 2011-12?

Kori Ellis
10-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Did you guys see Duncan's reaction talking about it last night in postgame?

"Were you relieved to get it over with before the season?"

Tim (paraphasing) - "I didn't even know it was time for it. Whatever." :lol

Let me find the video ...

Kori Ellis
10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=463010 (very end of the clip)

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
:lol