PDA

View Full Version : After 4 NBA trophies, the Spurs' thrill may be gone

alamo50
10-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Web Posted: 10/30/2007 12:12 AM CDT

Roy Bragg
Express-News

Spurs Fever — good luck catching it!

The San Antonio Spurs open defense of their fourth NBA title at 7 p.m. in the AT&T Center tonight.

But around the Alamo City, fans have gotten used to the success of the team called the most successful in professional sports in recent years.

Businesses catering to sports fans say the atmosphere surrounding tonight's opening game is a lot different from the 2000 season opener, which followed the franchise's first championship.

"I think we're jaded," said a ticket broker, who asked not to be identified because he's also a season ticketholder. "Winning is expected now.

Tonight's game, which features the championship rings awards ceremony and the unfurling of 2007 championship banner, isn't even a sellout.

"The excitement of the first year," the broker said, "just isn't there anymore."

Rachel Casanova, manager of Fatso's Sports Garden, agreed: Spurs games don't pack the place anymore. She's not even ordering extra beer for tonight's game.

"People would come dressed up," she said of 1999, "with their faces painted and their stuff that lights up. They would bring their own Spurs centerpieces for the table."

Fatso's was packed every night during the 1999 playoffs and for every game the next season.

On her commute during the 1999 playoffs, Casanova saw thousands of cars — on the road and side-by-side in parking lots — decorated with hand-painted messages and sporting black and silver flags.

"I only saw a couple of them (last spring)," she said.

Casanova and the broker say big playoff games and games against hated opponents — such as the Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks — still light a fire under the faithful. But otherwise, they say, game day is just another day.

The Spurs, needless to say, have a different spin.

The Spurs' fan base, said Monica Taylor, the team's director of business communications, is transitioning as it becomes more sophisticated.

"Fans should come to see something unique in history," she said.

"This is one of the highest-quality teams in all of professional sports, both on and off the court. And that's rare. It doesn't come along every day. You never know if you'll ever get to see that in our time."

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA103007.01A.SpursBragg.346bc82.html)

Me, as an international fan, can not stop being amazed when I read reports like this..........unbelievable.......realy........

Admidave50
10-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Keep being lazy, I may come for the playoffs next year and grab some cheap tickets!

FuzzyLumpkins
10-30-2007, 05:46 AM
It doesnt help that the Spurs have one of the worst marketing departments ever. At least this time I know that there are still tickets available more than 1 hour before tipoff.

i think ill go to tonights game.

bresilhac
10-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Roy Bragg's ill-timed piece is stupid and completely out of place on an opening day. What was this idiot thinking? He ought to stick to writing about subjects other than basketball. The fact that tonight's game is not totally sold out is not indicative of the awesome fans and fanbase the Spurs have. It's one of the best in the league if not the best. Believe me I've been to games In Denver, Washington and Houston and none can compare to the excitement of a late season/playoff game when the Spurs get it cranked up on the court.

polandprzem
10-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Me, as an international fan, can not stop being amazed when I read reports like this..........unbelievable.......realy........

Same here

:grim:

Streakyshooter08
10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
I can't understand that either. I would love to see at least on game live in SA. Damn.

BeerIsGood!
10-30-2007, 07:01 AM
You have to expect that as a whole for the entire population of SA, but there are still plenty of Spurs fans getting jacked up for this game and season. I learned from the Cowboys titles in the 90's to never take winning for granted, and although I am pretty satisfied with the 4 titles I never lose sight of being able to enjoy a team who's unselfishness is pretty much unparalleled in sports. I've never seen a team with this much pride and determination, but with very little ego. It's amazing.

naico
10-30-2007, 07:21 AM
That's the only thing i'm worried about this year..Our homecrowd. Last year it was already pretty pathetic, hope it doesnt get worse cuz this team deserves a lot more then what the fans are givin' them!

Mark in Austin
10-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Might be a different story if the Blazers top two players weren't injured. They might as well be playing the Bobcats tonight.

Mister Sinister
10-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Might be a different story if the Blazers top two players weren't injured. They might as well be playing the Bobcats tonight.
In before BobcatsDynasty.

Admidave50
10-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Is there anybody that is going to tonight's game from ST?

The ring ceremony is pretty cool and surely make it different from other games!

Mr. Body
10-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Don't blame me. I'm in Scotland.

samikeyp
10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
I lived through the Gilmore-Gervin losses to the Lakers, the post-Iceman, pre-Robinson days, and the early and mid-90's close but no cigar days.

Any and every championship season is savored and never forgotten.

And yet the thrill never lapses or goes away.

MI21
10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm stressing, trying to get the morning off of work just to watch the game live on TV...

Admidave50
10-30-2007, 09:16 AM
I hear ya, I had to do the same thing last year!

Hopefully, I will be free tomorrow during game time!

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
One game and the idiot writer's leading us to believe that lack of enthusiasm is a trend? Hello Houston, we have a problem in San Antonio. Phone the neighbors, wake the kids.

Kids, these are trained professionals, do not attempt this at home!

hater
10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
shame on san antonio.... the fucking season opener after a championship

nkdlunch
10-30-2007, 10:05 AM
pathetic

I also don't live in san antonio but marked my calendar for tonight months ago. what the fuck is wrong w/u mexicans!??!!!

Walter Craparita
10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm a college kid. I can't just drop $500 on tickets whenever.

Would rather watch it at home in comfort in HD than sit around a bunch of loudmouths in nose bleed :shrug:

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
pathetic

I also don't live in san antonio but marked my calendar for tonight months ago. what the fuck is wrong w/u mexicans!??!!!

Ok my hebrew korean brother, lets split the cost of tickets for a family of five! otherwise stfu.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
if ur not amazed about the ring than i dunno what to say

as duncan is one ring away from a championship knuckle buster....

Dark Matter
10-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I lived through the Gilmore-Gervin losses to the Lakers, the post-Iceman, pre-Robinson days, and the early and mid-90's close but no cigar days.

Any and every championship season is savored and never forgotten.

And yet the thrill never lapses or goes away.

Yes Sir, I agree with that. There were times in the Old Hemisphere Arena when it seem like the Spurs where playin just of me and a handful of friends. We could sit anywhere we wanted. I had twenty tickets one time and could not give one away. We(me and a friend of mind), got to know Iceman pretty well.

Now a days, I prefer my sports on the big screen(my house or a friend). Even when I have a chance to go to a game, the first thing I notice is most people are there to be seen and not there for the sport of it. WTF, if you want to stand and support your team all game, go for it. If you ain't gonna get it on, then keep your dead ass home. But, this is what happens when you reach a certain price point with game tickets. Also, 82 freaking games per season?? :sleep . I'm sure most of the Spurs would like to phone it in sometime during the season. :spin

nkdlunch
10-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Ok my hebrew korean brother, lets split the cost of tickets for a family of five! otherwise stfu.

what r u doing posting here? go get a 2nd job to feed ur family!

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
what r u doing posting here? go get a 2nd job to feed ur family!

Money is not my problem little boy, I also don't live in SA. Since you're obviously not very smart I'm just saying that's part of the reason in San Antonio that the arena doesn't get filled up. Do you know anything about social and fiscal demographics. Go down to SA and call people Mexicans, idiot!

Budkin
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
True Spurs fans are just as passionate as they ever were... this article is bullshit.

nkdlunch
10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Money is not my problem little boy, I also don't live in SA. Since you're obviously not very smart I'm just saying that's part of the reason in San Antonio that the arena doesn't get filled up. Do you know anything about social and fiscal demographics. Go down to SA and call people Mexicans, idiot!

I see, you're not mexican. is that why they kicked you out of san antonio?

MoSpur
10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
I would love to go, but no $$$. I'll be watching and cheering at home. I am very excited about this season and am glad its finally here.

Buddy Holly
10-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh god, what a ill fated attempt at journalism. For gods sake, trying to compare the reaction after the first title in the history of this franchise to the fourth in 8 years and then pulling some shit-brain article from it... just screams "I had nothing better to do."

tlongII
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Oden is the only one that is out. Both Aldridge and Roy will play tonight.

MoSpur
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree with Buddy Holly. Its hard to compare the first championship to the fourth one. I'm glad we have four and would take that and more over just one, but the first time was like no other.

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-30-2007, 11:16 AM
I see, you're not mexican. is that why they kicked you out of san antonio?

Junior you're an idiot. I'm Mexican-American. A Mexican living in San Antonio could very well be an illegal. Most Germans live in Germany, get the picture? See how that works? And I wasn't kicked out putz, I run my own company in Central Tx. I could use a minimum-wager like you. Looking for work? Gotta go to work, I'm done with you!

1Parker1
10-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Are Spurs home tickets very expensive? is that why they don't get sold out so often maybe?

Or perhaps their marketing/PR needs to come up with more creative promos and offers for fans.

tlongII
10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Are Spurs home tickets very expensive? is that why they don't get sold out so often maybe?

Or perhaps their marketing/PR needs to come up with more creative promos and offers for fans.

Not really. They are just bad fans.

nkdlunch
10-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Junior you're an idiot. I'm Mexican-American.

You might call yourself that, but to 90% of americans, you are a mexican :D

I'm done w/u too :drunk

nkdlunch
10-30-2007, 01:26 PM

to be serious, I think it's a lethal combination of bad PR, overpriced tickets and spoiled fans

easjer
10-30-2007, 02:00 PM

I think price a part of it. I think the fact that corporations in the area buy the tickets to schmooze and then let the seats go empty if there is not client to schmooze may be a part of it.

But I know for me (and I don't live there, so this is theoretical as well), I can get all the games on TV for no charge other the cable bill (in SA, pay for LP out here). I can buy 2 six packs of beer I like for the cost of 2 beers at the arena. I can eat whatever I want for free or little charge. I can be comfortable at home. I can stand up and sit down and cheer as loud as I please at home with no one complaining. I don't have to drive or deal with traffic or parking or anything.

Now some of those things might be worth it to see the Spurs play in person; I certainly would be there on ring night, if I could. But on the whole, I'd much rather be at home or watching and cheering with friends.

703 Spurz
10-30-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm a college kid. I can't just drop $500 on tickets whenever.

Would rather watch it at home in comfort in HD than sit around a bunch of loudmouths in nose bleed :shrug:

That's the #1 excuse I've heard for football stadiums not selling out.

I live in Virginia so you can't blame me either :p:

703 Spurz
10-30-2007, 02:13 PM

Throwing shit on the wall to see if it sticks huh? God damn dude get a hobby that doesn't include being here

703 Spurz
10-30-2007, 02:13 PM

By the way, where is it you live?

tlongII
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Yep. Bad fans.

timvp
10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Spurs fans on a whole are just lazy. However, I don't understand why winning makes people less interested in the Spurs. Not selling out opening night and a ring ceremony? That's pretty pathetic.

But yeah, I'm sure ticketmaster is to blame :jack

P.S.

Luckily there are still a good amount of true Spurs fans and a lot of them post here. At least some of us still care about this team.

:smokin

T Park
10-30-2007, 02:21 PM
The tickets arent expensive, I mean hell, the upper deck ones got for like 20 bucks come on.

Spurs fans suck....