PDA

View Full Version : Get Ready for a Double Dose of Howard

Findog
10-30-2007, 01:32 PM
http://mavscourtsideview.blogspot.com/2007/10/juwan-howard-on-way.html

I like this move. When he was here before, he could score on the low blocks, although it seemed like he fell in love with the mid-range jumper in Houston. It can't hurt, and it can only help.

Pistons < Spurs
10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
He should have gone to Boston.

Findog
10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
He's made plenty of money. I don't think this is the Celts' year, unless they can swing a trade for a veteran PG. The Heat didn't win until Shaq and Wade's second year. I think when you completely overhaul a team, it takes a full season to develop chemistry.

stretch
10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Nice move. Perfect backup at the PF/C position. He has solid post scoring ability and rebounding. Not a bad defender either. I was hoping they would pursue him since I heard that the T-Wolves were thinking about buying him out.

monosylab1k
10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
meh. he'll contribute about as much as mbenga.

Spawn
10-30-2007, 01:59 PM
meh. he'll contribute about as much as mbenga.

You are joking right?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-30-2007, 02:06 PM
As if the Spurs needed another reason to hate the Mavs. Hopefully this stint will be a little less goonariffic, but I doubt it.

Findog
10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
I see it as low-risk, potentially medium-sized reward. I don't see how a Mavs fan can argue against it. Webber is either retiring or going back to Detroit. What other backup PF who can score in the post is available?

JamStone
10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
He should have gone to Boston.

I don't think they wanted him, otherwise I think he would have gone there.

mardigan
10-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, I guess the Mavs needed another proven winner

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-30-2007, 02:18 PM
If I'm the Mavs I like this move. While I doubt that's he's got enough left in the tank to be a big time scorer or anything, he brings some old school toughness. The book on the Mavs has always said that they struggle when you get physical with them, thus they struggle in the playoffs when every game is far more physical. Howard is a guy who doesn't mind getting physical right back. He might end up being little more than an enforcer, but it's a lot better than having J-Ho getting himself tossed everytime someone throws an elbow.

sribb43
10-30-2007, 02:24 PM
As if the Spurs needed another reason to hate the Mavs. Hopefully this stint will be a little less goonariffic, but I doubt it.

You must be refering to this

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos/2001-05-05-derek.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1315000/images/_1315514_anderson150.jpg

JamStone
10-30-2007, 02:29 PM
If I'm the Mavs I like this move. While I doubt that's he's got enough left in the tank to be a big time scorer or anything, he brings some old school toughness. The book on the Mavs has always said that they struggle when you get physical with them, thus they struggle in the playoffs when every game is far more physical. Howard is a guy who doesn't mind getting physical right back. He might end up being little more than an enforcer, but it's a lot better than having J-Ho getting himself tossed everytime someone throws an elbow.

Perhaps I haven't followed Juwan's NBA career that closely, but when has he ever been known for toughness?

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2007, 02:35 PM
You must be refering to this

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos/2001-05-05-derek.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1315000/images/_1315514_anderson150.jpgThat and the flagrant against Malik Rose in Game 3 of the same series, I would think . . . .

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2001/2001/0509/1194170.html

monosylab1k
10-30-2007, 02:39 PM
What other backup PF who can score in the post is available?
I'd much rather give Brandon Bass the job and roll with him through thick and thin than give the job to another veteran with limited abilities and even more limited post scoring abilities. And any remaining PF minutes that Dirk/Bass don't eat up should definitely be going to Fazekas.

This is classic Avery. He was hyping Bass all preseason, but now that it's go-time, he's getting cold feet about giving a young guy minutes, so he signed some old ass veteran. This move improves the team in the short-term, but pisses me off because it's more proof that Avery hasn't learned anything.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Perhaps I haven't followed Juwan's NBA career that closely, but when has he ever been known for toughness?
Maybe cheap shot artist would be a better term.

stretch
10-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd much rather give Brandon Bass the job and roll with him through thick and thin than give the job to another veteran with limited abilities and even more limited post scoring abilities. And any remaining PF minutes that Dirk/Bass don't eat up should definitely be going to Fazekas.

This is classic Avery. He was hyping Bass all preseason, but now that it's go-time, he's getting cold feet about giving a young guy minutes, so he signed some old ass veteran. This move improves the team in the short-term, but pisses me off because it's more proof that Avery hasn't learned anything.
Dude, the season hasn't even started. We have no idea how he plans on using Bass and Howard. I'm more than sure though that Bass will get plenty of PT though. Him and Howard will probably split a lot of minutes at both PF and C, which will be very useful since Damp is out for a while, and Mbenga was still hurt as well, which left us with only Diop.

And Fazekas is absolute garbage. We need to win NOW. Fazekas will in no way contribute to our winning a titles, and everyone knows it. Howard at least has experience, and fills a need... post scoring and rebounding off the bench.

Findog
10-30-2007, 02:52 PM

I've been impressed by what Bass has done in the preseason, but it's the preseason, and he's a guy that hasn't played meaningful minutes in the NBA. He couldn't get off the bench for a bad New Orleans team. Some say that's because Scott is in the same mold as Avery and trusts vets over rooks/2nd-year players. There's a reason why rooks and 2nd-year players don't get entrusted with rotation minutes, especially in the playoffs. Remember how Devin Harris played himself out of the rotation against Houston two years ago?

You said it yourself, this improves the Mavs in the short-term. They're a better team now than they were yesterday, and they are a smidge better when it comes to low-post scoring than they were yesterday. If Bass got lots of minutes this year, then that would not necessarily be a good thing. You also forget that Dampier is out until January and we need somebody to play heavy minutes at PF/C. Of course, I know your opinion of Damp so we'll just have to agree to disagree on that aspect.

leemajors
10-30-2007, 02:54 PM
howard hasn't played offense in the post for years.

Amarelooms
10-30-2007, 02:59 PM
GO MAVS...good move...hate to seee Mbenga go but oh well....

mardigan
10-30-2007, 03:03 PM
howard hasn't played offense in the post for years.
Yea, all the guy does is shoot jumpshots. He cant block shots and isnt a great one one one defender. And he's also pretty much a black hole with the ball.
I dont really get this move

Amarelooms
10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Yea, all the guy does is shoot jumpshots. He cant block shots and isnt a great one one one defender. And he's also pretty much a black hole with the ball.
I dont really get this move

Hahaha you dont get the move....Howard for Mbenga who averaged what a 1point...ok homer. Maybe you "get it" when the Mavs play the Spurs :elephant

mardigan
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Hahaha you dont get the move....Howard for Mbenga who averaged what a 1point...ok homer. Maybe you "get it" when the Mavs play the Spurs :elephant
Has nothing to do with Mbenga dumb fuck, has to do with the Mavs needing a low post scorer, and bringing in a guy who has just about no low post moves. Way to sign a no defense playing, jump shooting old man. I would have rather had Webber, or just givin those minutes to a young guy. I guess this move at least keeps you up with the Suns Grant Hill signing :lol

Amarelooms
10-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Has nothing to do with Mbenga dumb fuck, has to do with the Mavs needing a low post scorer, and bringing in a guy who has just about no low post moves. Way to sign a no defense playing, jump shooting old man. I would have rather had Webber, or just givin those minutes to a young guy. I guess this move at least keeps you up with the Suns Grant Hill signing :lol

If you gonna resort to name calling you are a douche bag...just saying :elephant Howard was the best player available and the Mavs go him....deal with it

mardigan
10-30-2007, 03:16 PM
If you gonna resort to name calling you are a douche bag cunt face...just saying :elephant Howard was the best player available and the Mavs go him....deal with it
If Howard is ever the best player available at any point, then no one needs to be bringing in players pussypants

DubMcDub
10-30-2007, 03:17 PM

You seem to be confused. The Mavs are exchanging a guy who wasnt going to contribute at all for a guy who will, at a minimum, contribute a little. That is the definition of a "good move".

You are right about the Mavs needing a low post scorer, but who were they gonna get? Webber is not gonna play NBA ball this year.

Spawn
10-30-2007, 03:19 PM

The Mavs are a championship caliber team right now and it is best to roll out the best possible line-ups right now. The window of opportunity is only so big and it is not very wise to waste time on developing young potential when the Mavs are considered one of the front-runners for the title. Besides, when everyone is hopefully healthy for the Mavs, I believe Bass will get more playing time than Howard anyways but it never hurts to have a little insurance.

mardigan
10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
You seem to be confused. The Mavs are exchanging a guy who wasnt going to contribute at all for a guy who will, at a minimum, contribute a little. That is the definition of a "good move".

You are right about the Mavs needing a low post scorer, but who were they gonna get? Webber is not gonna play NBA ball this year.
Well if you need something, and cant get it, why would you settle for a guy that could mess with the team chemistry, or take shots away from you better players. I just dont see the point of bringing in a guy who doesnt fill a specific need and will take shots away from better players.

da_suns_fan__
10-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Well if you need something, and cant get it, why would you settle for a guy that could mess with the team chemistry, or take shots away from you better players. I just dont see the point of bringing in a guy who doesnt fill a specific need and will take shots away from better players.

Don't you have any faith in your coach to determine when a player is doing more harm than good?

Flopper
10-30-2007, 04:07 PM
LMFAO!

Good luck with howard.

Findog
10-30-2007, 04:26 PM

I think the bottom line is that Juwan Howard is better than DJ Mbenga and will contribute more than DJ Mbenga, even if his skillset isn't 100% what the Mavs need or are looking for. It's not like we're breaking out the champagne or we broke the bank to get him. If it doesn't work out, it's his ass sitting on the bench instead of Mbenga. They didn't hurt themselves with this move at all.

DubMcDub
10-30-2007, 04:58 PM

If the Mavs could just craft the player they needed and then sign him, I'd agree with you. But you're limited to what's out there. What solid "low post scorer" is available right now?

You're not gonna see any negative consequences of Howard on the Mavs. He's not gonna take shots away from guys like Dirk and Josh and Jet. His contribution may not be that significant, but like I said, he's better than Mbenga. That's all you can ask for.

Juwanlooms
10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Tremble before me, NBA.