PDA

View Full Version : Obviously: Udrih Deserves a Shot, by Bill Ingram

biba
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Obviously: Udrih Deserves a Shot
Hoopsworld

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 10/30/07

Beno Udrih never quite got with the system. That much is true. On top of it, he never quite connected with Gregg Popovich. On more than one occasion Beno told us that he didn't understand his situation at all. If he had a good game he got benched. If he played like crap he'd get more minutes. Then he wouldn't play at all for a while. Popovich is quirky, and not everyone makes it as a Spur. That was the case with Beno. When Darius Washington stepped in after Beno injured his hand it was the beginning of the end for Beno in San Antonio.

You can't help but laugh at the way the Spurs sent him out. He was traded to Minnesota for a "protected" SECOND round draft pick. It's not often you hear that phrase. What does it mean to "protect" a second round pick?

Well, as long as it's in the 50's you can have it, but we're not giving up that 39th pick in the draft.

Not that their aren't diamonds in the rough in the second round - there certainly are - but that just sounds crazy. Even David Stern takes off before the second round comes along and now the Wolves want to protect that pick. They obviously aren't too optimistic about what the new season holds for them. Could be a very high second round pick.

But anyway, back to Beno.

He was a Timberwolf for all of an afternoon and now out there on the free market, injured hand and all. The Wolves bought him out almost immediately, though an argument could be made that he could have helped them. Marko Jaric certainly isn't turning any heads since landing in town after a trade with the Clippers.

What about Sacramento? Wouldn't that be interesting? The Kings need a point guard and Beno needs a second chance with a team that will give him plenty of playing time. Chauncey Billups recently told me that the reason he found a home in Detroit was because he got guaranteed minutes no matter how many mistakes he made. He didn't have to look over his shoulder to see if the coach was preparing his substitute. Perhaps Beno would benefit from exactly the same kind of situation.

I'm not suggesting that Beno has a little Chauncey inside him ready to bust out, but it's also not completely out of the questions. The Kings might have just the right situation for a player looking to prove he can make it in the NBA.

Beno might be just the player who could benefit from that situation. It would certainly be better for him than sitting at the very end of the San Antonio bench in a dinner jacket and blue jeans.

biba
10-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I forgot the following discussion. My bad.

posted by Freewheel, 30 October 2007 8:22:51 AM

I'd like to see Udrih on the Raptors as a replacement for both Darrick Martin and Juan Dixon. Two players that are not in the long term plans for the Raps. It might not be guaranteed minutes, but he'd probably play as much as he did during his best year as a Spur, and get plenty more minutes if a Raptor PG got hurt.

posted by Bill Ingram, 30 October 2007 10:03:17 AM

AND . . .Beno is good friends with Rasho Nesterovic. It's always nice to play with a friend, especially after going through what they both experienced in Spursland.

BradLohaus
10-30-2007, 04:34 PM
I could always picture Beno in Sacramento as well.

duncan228
10-30-2007, 04:37 PM
He didn't fit in with the Spurs system.
But I think he has talent.
If he could put some kind of work ethic together and get a job I'd be happy for him.
It's a shame to waste the talent he does have.

MoSpur
10-30-2007, 04:39 PM
The talent is there, but the desire for some reason isn't.

ChumpDumper
10-30-2007, 04:42 PM
What is the club scene like in Toronto?

Scola Trade
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I picture Beno joining Pana and competing for minutes agains Billy (where is Kill Bill Pana to confirm?) :lol

ploto
10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
What is the club scene like in Toronto?
Great!

PM5K
10-30-2007, 05:36 PM
He's had plenty of shots, now he just needs to BE shot...

barbacoataco
10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
IMHO Udrih has NBA talent, especially on the offensive end. If he was playing on a mediocre team that didn't face a lot of pressure situations, he might be perfectly fine as a backup PG/combo guard.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I could always picture Beno in Sacramento as well.

yeh he be clubbin with the kings owners instead of balling

slayermin
10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
That's pretty sad when the TWolves buy you out before they even give you a look.

Beno had a very good rookie season but unlike TP, he never improved.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
That's pretty sad when the TWolves buy you out before they even give you a look.

Beno had a very good rookie season but unlike TP, he never improved.
they shouldve just kept him since jaric wants out

ChumpDumper
10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Great!And the tacos?

SenorSpur
10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
He's got something. I'm not sure what it is. He deserves a shot - in his ass!

Somebody fill me in on the meaning of the persistent Tacos references to Beno.

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2007, 06:05 PM
He's got something. I'm not sure what it is. He deserves a shot - in his ass!

Somebody fill me in on the meaning of the persistent Tacos references to Beno.

is there a correlation relationship between beno and free meals?? look at SABUTTA BBQ PLATE SALE thread in the club section....

Dave McNulla
10-30-2007, 06:30 PM
i don't think it was a 'quirky' pop situation. he does not have rules, but he expects people to be professional. i'm guessing that beno wasn't.

Indazone
10-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Beno gone hmmm could it be an opening for the return of Vspan? Washington is sure to get a shot now too.

K-State Spur
10-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Beno was given every chance to hold the 2nd string job last year. But he was out of shape, couldn't defend, and his jumpshot was spotty at best.

People who writer articles like that are people who don't pay attention to the Spurs until the playoffs then say, "hey, beno's not getting a chance!" well, beno did. but when vaughn's decent - but unspectacular - play represents a HUGE upgrade at the second team point, that says a lot.

Supergirl
10-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I've always thought that on a different team Beno could be a decent starter. He's just not good enough or disciplined enough for the Spurs, and for Pop's system. But for a team that isn't as defense-oriented and as disciplined, he really could be pretty good.

YoMamaIsCallin
10-31-2007, 02:01 AM
They didn't buy him out, they waived him.

BeerIsGood!
10-31-2007, 04:03 AM
Beno would be a good fit for a team who won't rely on him to handle the ball, will let him run and shoot as much as he wants without any reprocussions, and never require him to play defense. If that team is in the NBA, I guarantee they are the worst NBA team. Maybe the Knicks.

MI21
10-31-2007, 06:06 AM
I think Beno's talents are being exaggerated. He isn't that talented.

His positives were that he could hit an open shot, and had very good court vision and was sort of crafty with finding angles on the court. Seriously, that was it.

The Spurs system hid his defensive liabilities, his ballhandling was always below average, he couldn't really get to or finish at the rim consistently, he isn't athletic, he isn't quick and of course lacked the most basic of all point guard abilities, he struggled against aggressive pressure defense.

I keep hearing he was so talented blah blah blah... His ceiling really was decent backup PG, it's not like this was a Dajuan Wagner or Darius Miles waste of talent...

ata
10-31-2007, 06:16 AM
No, he IS that talented.
When he played for Olimpija (Ljubljana, Slovenija), he run PG as he was 18 yo! Together with Sani Becirovic (SG - one year older) they were very top young guard combo.
He got the talent and skills, however that is not enough to play at the top level. And if he doesn't have desire (at 25) to do anything, then....

MI21
10-31-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I'm talking about NBA though.

I don't see this talent and skills. He is no more talented that your run of the mill backup PG in my opinion.

mikekim
10-31-2007, 07:04 AM
No "going away" party? I might fly in from cali for that one.

Kibic
10-31-2007, 07:14 AM

His positives were that he could hit an open shot, and had very good court vision and was sort of crafty with finding angles on the court. Seriously, that was it.

The Spurs system hid his defensive liabilities, his ballhandling was always below average, he couldn't really get to or finish at the rim consistently, he isn't athletic, he isn't quick and of course lacked the most basic of all point guard abilities, he struggled against aggressive pressure defense.

I keep hearing he was so talented blah blah blah... His ceiling really was decent backup PG, it's not like this was a Dajuan Wagner or Darius Miles waste of talent...

Spurs drafted him because they already have Tony P. And of those two Beno was always better than Tony.(That off course is well documented...) I still believe that Beno's problem is he never really want to admit that Tony is progressing so well and he was still stuck in Pop's methodology of proving something against someone. He is still in that denial phase.

ata
10-31-2007, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I'm talking about NBA though.

I don't see this talent and skills. He is no more talented that your run of the mill backup PG in my opinion.
His talent and skills are not visible any more, he hasn't progressed over last few years, so....

As Kibic wrote: Beno was always (prior to NBA career) better than TP, however TP didn't stop to develop his talent and skills as he entered in the NBA, Beno has

Kermit
10-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Spurs drafted him because they already have Tony P. And of those two Beno was always better than Tony.(That off course is well documented...)

:rollin

Lay off the psychedelics.

MI21
10-31-2007, 07:39 AM
His talent and skills are not visible any more, he hasn't progressed over last few years, so....

As Kibic wrote: Beno was always (prior to NBA career) better than TP, however TP didn't stop to develop his talent and skills as he entered in the NBA, Beno has

I never thought the talent and skills were there in the first place. He was good for the first few months of his rookie season, but as soon as teams had a chance to find his many weaknesses and scout him, and then exploit those weaknesses, he was really not that good.

What I am trying to say is that he would of needed the work ethic of Michael Jordan to turn into even a marginal starting PG. The base, the skills required to be a success in the NBA were just never there in my opinion just as I said when I listed his strengths and weaknesses earlier, which I think were pretty hard to argue or disagree with.

All NBA players are capable of having games where they look like a star, it doesn't mean they have the talent to perform like that every game, even if they worked hard.

ata
10-31-2007, 08:23 AM
You may be right, but who now cares about Beno's talent really? He is out!

MI21
10-31-2007, 09:23 AM
You may be right, but who now cares about Beno's talent really? He is out!

Great, isn't it? :toast

K-State Spur
10-31-2007, 11:33 AM
he has shown a sweet stroke, but outside of that, i'm not sure about his talent and skills.

he never showed plus quickness or defense.

his ball handling was marginal - anybody remember when he couldn't even get the ball to halfcourt against lindsey hunter?

san antonio spurs
10-31-2007, 11:48 AM
now that rasho and beno are all gone, are slovenians posters going or they fall in love with the spurs.
I hope the latter
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

ata
10-31-2007, 12:51 PM
I can't write for everyone

I was always NBA fan, however never had favorite club. SA wasn't first club with Slovenian players, however first with great forum. I found this forum few months after Rasho signed.
Hanging on the forum, reading all the opinions hooked me to the community. I'll stay here and route for Spurs. Rasho will stay my favorite Slovenian player in the NBA, hence I route for Toronto also.

I don't care about Beno much.

AFAIF Slomo was SA fan way before Rasho came in town.

BTW: great banner Slomo, major props

Holt's Cat
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
The fundamental problem with Beno is that he feels he "deserves" PT without earning it.

jackseven
10-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I never saw where this "talent" was either. He liked to go to his left, stop, and shoot the jumper. He had trouble bringing up the ball under pressure. He wasn't a good passer.

He did have bad work ethic, but I don't think it was hiding all of his "talent."

Russ
10-31-2007, 11:44 PM

Agreed. The Spurs never thought Beno was another Tony Parker or anything close. Parker was well-known going into the draft and projected to be gone by the time the Spurs picked. Beno was projected as a second rounder until the Spurs drafted him in the late first.

The Spurs wanted a young back-up point who was good enough to perform that role long term. But not so good that he would be demanding to start and get paid big money -- in other words, they didn't want another Speedy Claxton. It's hard to find that guy -- a young player who can look past an equally young all star point guard who will always be blocking him.

Hopefully, Darius Washington will be that fellow, but don't hold your breath -- if he's not good enough, he's gone. If he's too good, he's gone.

jn77
11-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Beno is a lazy piece of shit! He has no desire, Talent yes, but no drive. 80% of sucess is showing up, and Beno never showed up. If he wants to keep playing in thr NBA maybe he should try the WNBA. I hear the Mystics need a point guard!

Que Gee
11-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Beno is a lazy piece of shit! He has no desire, Talent yes, but no drive. 80% of sucess is showing up, and Beno never showed up. If he wants to keep playing in thr NBA maybe he should try the WNBA. I hear the Mystics need a point guard!

He'll end up in Cleveland or Sacramento.

Kibic
11-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Agreed. The Spurs never thought Beno was another Tony Parker or anything close. Parker was well-known going into the draft and projected to be gone by the time the Spurs picked.

He plays in Europe before. Never heard anything about Tony Parker. When they play against each other (from 16 years old to 19 years old) Beno was always better.
You can find some statistics about those games.

ata
11-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Agreed. The Spurs never thought Beno was another Tony Parker or anything close. Parker was well-known going into the draft and projected to be gone by the time the Spurs picked. Beno was projected as a second rounder until the Spurs drafted him in the late first.

The Spurs wanted a young back-up point who was good enough to perform that role long term. But not so good that he would be demanding to start and get paid big money -- in other words, they didn't want another Speedy Claxton. It's hard to find that guy -- a young player who can look past an equally young all star point guard who will always be blocking him.

Hopefully, Darius Washington will be that fellow, but don't hold your breath -- if he's not good enough, he's gone. If he's too good, he's gone.
Sorry, but this is total BS.

Why Spurs chased Kidd then? To be 2nd stringer?
TP and Pop were thrown in the situation where TP must be 1st PG. Tony reacted excelent, developed his talent and he is now legit all star. Would you think that would happened if Kidd signed?

Bruno
11-01-2007, 06:20 AM
He plays in Europe before. Never heard anything about Tony Parker. When they play against each other (from 16 years old to 19 years old) Beno was always better.
You can find some statistics about those games.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.gameID_74-B-4-2.compID_8aYeHlfuGF-mF5IqO8aFH1.season_2000.roundID_2327.teamID_282.ht ml

Kibic
11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
It is not the right one :)

timvp
11-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Agreed. The Spurs never thought Beno was another Tony Parker or anything close. Parker was well-known going into the draft and projected to be gone by the time the Spurs picked. Beno was projected as a second rounder until the Spurs drafted him in the late first.Beno would have been drafted by the Pacers with the next pick if the Spurs hadn't selected him. The Spurs even tried to move up in that trade to make sure they could land either Jameer Nelson or Beno.

The Spurs wanted a young back-up point who was good enough to perform that role long term. But not so good that he would be demanding to start and get paid big money -- in other words, they didn't want another Speedy Claxton. It's hard to find that guy -- a young player who can look past an equally young all star point guard who will always be blocking him.Teams draft the best player available. I've never heard of a team passing on a player because they were too good . . . but perhaps I missed that somewhere in history.

The Spurs thought Beno was good, that's why they drafted him. I highly doubt they drafted him because he was the exact level of suck they wanted.

Hopefully, Darius Washington will be that fellow, but don't hold your breath -- if he's not good enough, he's gone. If he's too good, he's gone.I'll be hoping he's "too good". Backup point guards by their nature are a short-term fit. Show me a long-term backup point guard and I'll show you a below average point guard.

If Washington blows up and is gone in two years, I'll gladly take those two years. I'd much prefer that to whatever it was that Beno did here for 3+ years.

SenorSpur
11-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I never saw where this "talent" was either. He liked to go to his left, stop, and shoot the jumper. He had trouble bringing up the ball under pressure. He wasn't a good passer.

He did have bad work ethic, but I don't think it was hiding all of his "talent."

It's obvious to all of us that appreciate DWash that he has more drive and tenacity.

Does anybody here think Beno was more talented overall than Wash?

Lebowski Brickowski
11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Does anybody here think Beno was more talented overall than Wash?

Yeah I think so. At least from what I've seen so far from Washington. Beno was just an idiot who could never comprehend that he needed to work to get better. I think Beno is a colossal waste of talent. Washington can play, but he's also got the ethic -- which is what will make him better than Beno ever was.

baseline bum
11-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Sorry, but this is total BS.

Why Spurs chased Kidd then? To be 2nd stringer?
TP and Pop were thrown in the situation where TP must be 1st PG. Tony reacted excelent, developed his talent and he is now legit all star. Would you think that would happened if Kidd signed?

You're the one who's dead wrong here. The Spurs desperately tried to trade up into the early teens to draft Parker, figuring Orlando or Boston was a lock to pick him before 28. It was pretty well-known among Spurs fans that the team badly wanted Parker before the draft; you can ask anyone who was here 2001 or before.

Russ
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Teams draft the best player available. I've never heard of a team passing on a player because they were too good . . . but perhaps I missed that somewhere in history.
I doubt the Spurs passed on anyone because they were too good. But they could have tried for someone with more upside than Beno that they would have had to wait on. Instead, they drafted a guy whom they believed was closer to reaching his potential and could step in immediately. They drafted due to need. They needed a back-up point guard -- when you draft to fill a need you often pass on a player who might be better in the long run (but not beause you're goal is to draft less talented players).

The Spurs thought Beno was good, that's why they drafted him. I highly doubt they drafted him because he was the exact level of suck they wanted.

The point wasn't that Beno had "the right level of suck" but that he would have the right attitude to accept a backup role on a winning team. As I recall (and please correct) Beno was not the star of his Euro team. He was a distributer, a quarterback, a game manager on a team full of stars -- the best team in Europe. That might give the impression that he wanted to win, and would accept a backup role, rather than be the star. That's probably where the Spurs thought he was different than Speedy Claxton, who ended up wanting to be the man.

If Washington blows up and is gone in two years, I'll gladly take those two years.

Me too.

Bottom line, I just never saw all this talent (either athletic or innate court sense) from a guy who looked more like the prototype backup point guard from day one.

coopdogg3
11-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I'll be hoping he's "too good". Backup point guards by their nature are a short-term fit. Show me a long-term backup point guard and I'll show you a below average point guard.

If Washington blows up and is gone in two years, I'll gladly take those two years. I'd much prefer that to whatever it was that Beno did here for 3+ years.

Could not agree more. Take what you can - give nothing back. If DW really explodes then maybe we do a S & T, get something for him, and wish him the best of luck. Hopefully he has 2 rings to show off to his new team.

ploto
11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
He'll end up in Cleveland or Sacramento.
Any chance he ends up on Sacramento by tomorrow? :toast

ploto
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I love how people rewrite history. The truth is the Spurs really wanted Beno. Pop made the trip to Chicago to the pre-draft camp to see him play and he was very impressive. He was by far the talk of that camp. I can give you reports if you want. The Spurs also knew that Bird wanted Beno and they had the pick immediatley after the Spurs. The Spurs did a great job of keeping their interest in Beno out of the public eye. He was in San Antonio the week before the draft and it never hit the media and everyone who knew kept it quiet. The Spurs were very excited about getting Beno. Players- even Duncan- immediately talked about how Beno would get them the ball right where they liked it. He was called the best passer on the team and even led the team in 3-point shooting his rookie year. Then it all went down hill. After the Finals, the whole Nick Van Exel bit, and what happened to some of his teammates, Beno's attitude soured. It was apparent that he was not going to put in the work with the Spurs. It is better for everyone that he is no longer on the team, but he will end up in the NBA. Point guards are tough to find-- look at all the years the Spurs have attempted to find a back-up.

timvp
11-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I doubt the Spurs passed on anyone because they were too good. But they could have tried for someone with more upside than Beno that they would have had to wait on. Instead, they drafted a guy whom they believed was closer to reaching his potential and could step in immediately. They drafted due to need. They needed a back-up point guard -- when you draft to fill a need you often pass on a player who might be better in the long run (but not beause you're goal is to draft less talented players). Beno was an all upside pick. He wasn't playing well in Europe and struggled with injury. He wasn't averaging that many points and wasn't even that well known in Europe.

It wasn't liked they picked a player who was in Europe quarterbacking a solid team and brought him in to be a backup. The Spurs actually took a flier on a kid with talent who hadn't lived up to his promise. Bottomline is Beno was far from a sure thing when he was drafted. As Mike D'Antoni said, Beno was known as "that fat point guard who was good when he was younger". That's not exactly going with the known quantity.

The point wasn't that Beno had "the right level of suck" but that he would have the right attitude to accept a backup role on a winning team. As I recall (and please correct) Beno was not the star of his Euro team. He was a distributer, a quarterback, a game manager on a team full of stars -- the best team in Europe. That might give the impression that he wanted to win, and would accept a backup role, rather than be the star. That's probably where the Spurs thought he was different than Speedy Claxton, who ended up wanting to be the man.Huh? Sorry but this paragraph is full of holes. First of all, Beno's attitude was one of the things that was working against him when he was drafted. European teams questioned his dedication to the game, his attitude toward his teammates and his toughness. Plus, it wasn't like Beno came in ready to take a backseat. In his opening press conference, they asked him if he'll try to learn from Tony Parker and he said no basically because he saw himself as an equal.

And really, that was a basis of a lot of the trouble with Beno. He never saw himself as less of a player than Parker. Beno always thought he was better than Parker but that Parker just got the minutes. Beno's attitude was not at all what you'd want in a backup and that was one of the many things that led to his downfall.

And I'm not sure what you are talking about in terms of Beno being a distributor of a team full of stars. Beno was on some scrub (Russian, IIRC) team when he was drafted. He didn't have star teammates and he surely wasn't some distributor who knew how to take the backseat to players around him.

His last couple years in Europe he was either injured or the team he was on was trying to find a way to get rid of him.

Me too.

Bottom line, I just never saw all this talent (either athletic or innate court sense) from a guy who looked more like the prototype backup point guard from day one.Beno was seen as a talent needing structure when he was drafted. It wasn't like he was some guy like John Crotty or Scott Brooks who the Spurs drafted just to be a backup point guard. I know the type of player you are talking about ... but Beno wasn't that.

Beno was a star in Europe when he was younger. He was a shoot first point guard with good passing abilities who was rated as one of the best players in his age group. He fell on hard times in his late teens and early twenties but the Spurs thought they could salvage the talent. Beno was the European equivalent of taking a flier on a NCAA talent who came into school highly recruited but got kicked off the team.

What's ironic is that if the Spurs would have taken the route you suggested and took the player who was ready to play a career as a backup point guard, they would have taken Chris Duhon and ended up much better off.

mardigan
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1433&line=85871&spln=1
Its looks like he might be Sacramento's problem now

T Park
11-01-2007, 02:22 PM
instead of a drunk partier, they would've just had a drunk...

timvp
11-01-2007, 02:24 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1433&line=85871&spln=1
Its looks like he might be Sacramento's problem nowGood luck to Beno :tu

That sounds like it'd be the perfect opportunity for him. Perhaps this wakeup call of being waived will be good for him.

Kori Ellis
11-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Its looks like he might be Sacramento's problem now

Good luck to Beno. Hopefully he can change his attitude, get in shape and learn more about the game.

T Park
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
:lol

I love how these writers are writing all this crap.

"Couldn't win the favor of coach popovich"

Its like its all Pop's fault he got traded.

Good lord.

CubanMustGo
11-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Good luck to Beno. Hopefully he can change his attitude, get in shape and learn more about the game.

Yeah, but you can get decent tacos in Sac-town so it's not a sure thing.

Lebowski Brickowski
11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
I hope this can be The Offical Last Beno Thread Ever

I can't think of a better way to end it than with Tacos. :lol

ploto
11-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Any chance he ends up on Sacramento by tomorrow? :toast