PDA

View Full Version : Espn Preseason Predictions

biba
10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Preseason prediction: Spurs to come out of West

Updated: October 30, 2007

1. San Antonio Spurs (9 votes)

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: Time to take the final step toward greatness and repeat.

Jon Barry, ESPN: Going to stick to my guns on this pick. A Pistons-Spurs final might be the worst on style points.

Chad Ford, ESPN.com: The heart says Phoenix, but the head says Phoenix can't beat the Spurs in a seven-game series.

Jemele Hill, ESPN.com: While the story lines hover around Phoenix, L.A and Dallas, the Spurs will quietly go about making their way to the Finals for the fifth time in a decade.

Keith Lipscomb, ESPN.com Fantasy: Just because I have them being edged out in the Southwest doesn't mean I've lost faith in their postseason abilities.

Jack Ramsay, ESPN Radio

Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com: If they avoid Denver in the playoffs, they cruise to the Finals. Yes, that's disrespecting Dallas. But we've lost most of our respect for Dallas the past two postseasons.

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Heart says it's the Suns' turn … or maybe even the Mavs' turn. Head says that the Spurs are too good to go 0-for-5 on repeats.

Kiki Vandeweghe, ESPN: Enough playoff experience. Players in their prime. Extremely well-coached -- an underrated aspect of their game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Phoenix Suns (5 votes)

Henry Abbott, ESPN.com's TrueHoop: This season, the Suns are breathing fire.

Chris Broussard, ESPN Mag

Mark Jackson, ESPN: Dallas and San Antonio will have great seasons and know how to win. Golden State's a sleeper and Denver and Utah will be good. But this will be the Suns' year.

Scoop Jackson, ESPN.com BOAWG: brains over athleticism wins games. That will be the difference between the end of last season and this one.

Jalen Rose, ESPN: Adding Grant Hill helps them all around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T-3. Dallas Mavericks (2 votes)

Chris Palmer, ESPN Mag: Is it now or never for this bunch? Maybe not, but it sure would be nice if Dirk came through on that whole "untouchable" thing.

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: I like teams that pay dues, and this team has paid plenty the past two postseasons. Look for them to be more relaxed this time when it counts.

T-3. Houston Rockets (2 votes)

Ric Bucher, ESPN Mag: Because with Rick Adelman they'll be able to play fast or slow.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: The three best teams are in Texas, and it's three different Texas finalists in three years if this comes true.

Preseason prediction: Spurs to repeat as champs

1. San Antonio Spurs (8 votes)

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com Time to take the final step toward greatness and repeat.

Jon Barry, ESPN: They've gone every other year … and I think it's time. Their best players are in their prime. Why not?

Jemele Hill, ESPN.com: Moan and groan about this predictable outcome, but the Spurs will cement themselves as one of the great teams in NBA history and the best of the millennium.

Keith Lipscomb, ESPN.com Fantasy: What size ring will snugly fit on that thumb, Coach Pop and Timmy? This will be the last one for the Spurs dynasty as we know it.

Jack Ramsay, ESPN Radio

Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com: Who says they'll never repeat? Not me. But it still won't make them a dynasty. That bar is set too high (Celtics of the '60s, Bulls of the '90s).

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Winning the West is like winning a mini-championship, with the Suns and Mavs -- and Jazz and Nuggets -- to outlast. So you pick the West winner to win it all without hesitation.

Kiki Vandeweghe, ESPN: Even though this is an "even" year. Though still in his prime, Duncan sees the end and will seize the moment.

2. Phoenix Suns (5 votes)

Henry Abbott, ESPN.com's TrueHoop: This season, the Suns are breathing fire.

Chris Broussard, ESPN Mag

Mark Jackson, ESPN: Best point guard in the business. The addition of Grant Hill makes a difference. But losing Kurt Thomas hurts them -- a great defender, and a great pick-and-pop guy.

Scoop Jackson, ESPN.com The Sports Fairness Doctrine: If the Red Sox can get two, why can't the Suns -- at least -- win one?

Jalen Rose, ESPN: This is their season to prove that their style of play can win a championship. A franchise with a rich history, but never a title. This is the year.
T-3. Dallas Mavericks (2 votes)

Chris Palmer, ESPN Mag: Would cap one of the most remarkable franchise turnarounds in league history since Cuban bought the team in 2000. Plus seal Dirk's place in the HOF.

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: One of the top three offensive players in the world, two excellent defensive players arriving this summer, and a team that got a much-needed wake-up call last season.

T-3. Houston Rockets (2 votes)

Ric Bucher, ESPN Mag: Truth is, there are six teams with a legit shot.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: Betting on Adelman and T-Mac in the playoffs can be hazardous, but on paper these guys are loaded.

5. Detroit Pistons (1 vote)

Chad Ford, ESPN.com: I may be the only guy on the planet who thinks the Pistons can beat the Spurs in seven games. But if they make it that far, I think they avenge their defeat in 2005.

itzsoweezee
10-30-2007, 09:49 PM
abbott is a suns dickrider and the two jacksons are never right about anything. i believe all three picked the suns last year too. keep dreaming bitches.