PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs without Scola

GSH
10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
So many people cried over the summer because the Spurs "gave away" their future by sending Jackie Butler and Luis Scola to a division rival. It was just so hard to believe that it could be allowed to happen - even for a group as incompetent as the coaches and FO of the Spurs. I mean, letting Butler get away was bad enough...but everyone knows that Scola is the Second Coming of Bill Russell, right?

Scola couldn't earn a spot in the Rockets' starting lineup, and Butler couldn't even make the team. But they were going to transform a Spurs team that is virtually intact from winning the NBA Championship? The most amazing thing to me is that there are STILL people whining about the Scola trade. But I guess it shouldn't. It took three seasons before people quit whining about Malik Rose.

I'd like to see someone put together a team with Scola, Butler, Rose, James White, Derek Anderson, Stephen Jackson, and Devin Brown. Their payroll would only be about $20 million, and they would have to be a virtual lock to win a championship. It would serve all those idiots running the Spurs right for letting their best talent go, while keeping all these scrubs on their roster.

For the record, I like Malik and Devin, and wish them well - the rest of that list I couldn't care less about. And I don't think the Spurs have let anyone go in recent years that would really give them a better shot to repeat this season, except maybe Barbosa. (And he's making $5.6 mil this year.) When you look at the Spurs' current roster, and the fact that they will be under the Lux Tax threshold, it's quite an accomplishment.

For those still whining about the Spurs FO being cheap, you don't understand what an amazing thing it is for a small media market to have a team like the Spurs. And you only have to look at George Steinbrenner and the Yankees to know that no amount of money can guarantee a championship.