PDA

View Full Version : Steve Francis Fails to Crack the Rockets Rotation

Indazone
10-31-2007, 01:05 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5251305.html

Francis: New role 'going to be tough'
Guard unsure how he'll handle lack of playing time

Steve Francis did not expect much, but sounded shocked that he might begin the season receiving little or no playing time.

With the Rockets' rotation taking shape and apparently excluding him, Francis said he did not know what he would do, but that he might have to do "something."

"That is going to be tough, that will be real tough for me," Francis said. "If that's the case, then I don't know. I definitely didn't come here not to play at all. Hopefully we can work something out."

Asked what sorts of options he might have, Francis said: "I don't know. I can't say."

Asked if he would be willing to wait and see if he could receive more playing time as the season progressed, Francis, 6-3, said he did not know how he would react to that situation, or even if he would want to wait.

"I don't know. I can't tell you," Francis said. "That's something I would have to wait to see. Until that time comes, I can't make a decision on something like that now. We haven't discussed anything as far as my role. Until that happens, I'll still be waiting to see what happens."

No go in San Antonio
Francis did not play Friday in San Antonio when Rockets coach Rick Adelman used a rotation more suited for the regular season than the experimentations of the preseason. He said he has not told players yet how they will be used when the season opens Tuesday night in Los Angeles against the Lakers.

"I tried to play the people who we feel are playing the best," Adelman said. "I have to sit down and talk to the individuals who are going to play and those that are not going to play and talk it through. I haven't done that, yet."

Since players reported for the start of training camp Oct. 1, Adelman has said he would prefer to give fewer players more playing time than to spread the minutes among more players. But the backcourt went from crowded to overcrowded when point guard Rafer Alston exceeded expectations with his preseason play.

"You're always concerned," Adelman said. "Whoever is not going to be in the rotation is not going to be happy about it.

"Whatever decision is made right now is not going to be written in stone. A lot of things can happen. But you've got to make some decisions right now and move on and hopefully people are going to be professional enough who don't get time."

Francis had seemed behind other perimeter players throughout the preseason, with Alston, Tracy McGrady and Shane Battier starting and Bonzi Wells, Luther Head and Mike James coming off the bench. But Francis has said he would be ready for the start of the season.

"He doesn't have any signs of distracting the team or anything like that," McGrady said. "He's doing what he has to do."

Out of the rotation
Francis, 30, said that when he chose to return to the Rockets, where he began his career and made three consecutive All-Star teams, he knew he would be unlikely to play as much as he had early in his career.

"But not to be in the rotation, to me I don't think that's what I'm looking for," he said. "If that's the case, I'd have to do something."

Francis said he did not know what that something would be and had no plans to ask Adelman about where he fits in.

"I turned a lot of money down other places," he said. "But hopefully it will work out."

[email protected]

Francis basically showed up for the Rockets with a sense of entitlement. Like this is the house that I built. -Steve Franchise. He showed up out of shape and as a result got benched by Adelman. He also was having a really tough time in preseason trying to figure out the new offense. Looks like Rafer Alston beat him out.

mavsfan1000
10-31-2007, 01:18 AM
:bow: Adleman. Francis is a spoiled little child who overrates himself greatly. I'm glad Adleman realizes that and puts him in his place. Francis has a lot to prove if he wants to be part of Houston.

spurscenter
10-31-2007, 01:27 AM
nah dude, its always politics in the NBA

Francis at least can get 10 mins. to not play him at all is politics.

He would be putting up 20 pts with sacramento right now or bobcats, albeit with 8 TO but he is far better than Jason Hart and Hart went like 1-6 tonight.

Dont waste Francis like that, as much as I dont care for him that much.

I just hate BS politics from high school to nba.

I applaud pop for playing washington today, he was like here is your chance kid, show me.

I loved it.

Roxsfan
10-31-2007, 01:37 AM
nah dude, its always politics in the NBA

Francis at least can get 10 mins. to not play him at all is politics.

He would be putting up 20 pts with sacramento right now or bobcats, albeit with 8 TO but he is far better than Jason Hart and Hart went like 1-6 tonight.

Dont waste Francis like that, as much as I dont care for him that much.

I just hate BS politics from high school to nba.

I applaud pop for playing washington today, he was like here is your chance kid, show me.

I loved it.

:smokin
Yeah.

but, francis has a choice: work hard and earn minutes or sulk and be a distraction.

I hope he works hard.

ShoogarBear
10-31-2007, 01:46 AM
How much money could you have made betting that Rafer Alston would beat out Steve Francis?

TDMVPDPOY
10-31-2007, 04:31 AM
francis better know whose team it is now...

MI21
10-31-2007, 06:27 AM
:lol @ being beat out by Alston. Mike James, I could kind of understand, but Alston...

Indazone
10-31-2007, 09:25 PM
yeah I agree, waste of talent. Francis should have showed up at camp in shape and ready to play. Instead I hear he is fat and partying 3-4 nights a week. That's not gonna fly for a 30 yr old.

Johnny RIngo
10-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Francis is a mess right now. Can't believe he use to be an all-star just 3 years ago.

OldDirtMcGirt
10-31-2007, 11:57 PM
:lol @ being beat out by Alston. Mike James, I could kind of understand, but Alston...

Alston looked like absolute shit last night though, so Stevie Franchise might get some playing time for Houston. Not that that's a good thing for Rox fans.

JamStone
11-01-2007, 12:00 AM
wasn't rafer alston supposed to be traded this summer? and, wasn't he charged with assault for slashing a guy with a knife? why is he the starting point guard of ANY nba team?

Indazone
11-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Only thing I can think of is that Adelman is playing politics or mindgames that sometimes coaches do to motivate players.

JamStone
11-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Stevie goes from "Franchise" to french fries

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-01-2007, 09:43 AM
wasn't rafer alston supposed to be traded this summer? and, wasn't he charged with assault for slashing a guy with a knife? why is he the starting point guard of ANY nba team?
Because no one will trade anything worth while for a benched headcase who got arrested twice in the offseason. He was on the block before he those incidents, and I don't see why he still wouldn't be. I think Adelman is simulateously showcasing him while letting Steve Francis know exactly who is in charge.

ManuTastic
11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Stevie goes from "Franchise" to french fries

F'ing great. Stevie FrenchFries.

Stone cold solid. :fro

Hemotivo
11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
:lol

thothmela
11-02-2007, 02:38 PM
ship him to dallas :lol

Indazone
11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
damn are the Mavericks where we send all our washed up has beens for them to run up the best record in the NBA?

spurscenter
11-02-2007, 06:19 PM
A Fat French Fried Francis is still better than anyones 8-12 roster spot league wide.