PDA

View Full Version : DJ Mbenga in talks with Houston and Phoenix

naico
10-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Apparently he wanted out of Dallas cuz they couldn't guarantee him more playing time..
And it didn't take long for Dallas to waive him and add Howard to the roster.
He could replace Skinner in Phoenix..

Who is Mbenga?

Belgian, born in Congo

Big fellah, provides tough defense, great shot blocker, very athletic.
Could develop into a defensive force if given more minutes..

Findog
10-31-2007, 08:53 AM
I didn't know Houston and Phoenix were in need of six cheap fouls spread out over 5 minutes. Good luck with that.

And1Mak
10-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Mbenga was a fan favorite in Dallas. TACO!

Got a link for "in talks with Houston and Phoenix "????

T Park
10-31-2007, 04:04 PM
G ahead Phoenix.

He still can't guard Duncan.

You traded that dude away.

Xylus
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
It can't hurt to sign Mbenga, but I want to see how Skinner turns out.

Nashfan
10-31-2007, 04:32 PM
G ahead Phoenix.

He still can't guard Duncan.

You traded that dude away.

Apparently Thomas couldn't guard Duncan either since he averaged quite a few points against him. No one can guard Duncan. :)

dougp
10-31-2007, 04:51 PM
LOL waive Butler, but pick up Mbenga? Stupid move, Houston ...

Holmes_Fans
10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Apparently Thomas couldn't guard Duncan either since he averaged quite a few points against him. No one can guard Duncan. :)
Diop can if it's in OT!

And1Mak
10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Dallas Morning News said he is 'expected' to go to Europe.
Where did the Hou/Phx rumors come from?

naico
11-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Dallas Morning News said he is 'expected' to go to Europe.
Where did the Hou/Phx rumors come from?

Mbenga has been talking to the Belgian media lately, so we get the inside here. He's still confident he'll remain in the nba..Don't really believe him, but that's what he's been sayin'.

Mbenga: "Nu is het tijd om te spelen"

wo 31/10/07 - Didier Mbenga heeft de Dallas Mavericks (moeten) verlaten op de vooravond van het nieuwe NBA-seizoen. "Ik had vorig jaar al moeten gaan", zegt de Belg die in de NBA wil blijven.
"Het bestuur van Dallas liet mij weten dat ik op de rand van de bank zat en niet echt veel zou spelen", zegt Mbenga. (AP) "Dat zinde me niet. Daarom wou ik weg", reageert Didier Mbenga in La Gazette des Sports.

"Dallas begreep mijn standpunt. De club weet ook dat ik nu móét spelen."

"Het is mijn vierde seizoen in de NBA en ik wil zelf ook een stap hoger zetten. Eigenlijk had ik vorig jaar al moeten gaan."

Mbenga maakt zich weinig zorgen. In de NBA heeft hij zijn plaats, beweert hij.

Volgens de geruchtenmolen zouden Phoenix en Houston interesse hebben. Over enkele dagen weet Mbenga wellicht meer over zijn toekomst.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Houston needs anything resembling youth and or athleticism on their front line. I can't say I know a whole lot about Mbenga, but I can't say I'm surprised the Rockets are looking at him. Yao is slow and has had injuries, Mutombo is 167 years old, Chuck Hayes full of heart but not much else, and Scola is transitioning from Euro to NBA, which takes some time. This is a team that still have fresh boot prints on their ass from Carlos Boozer, and certainly any team thinking about the playoffs has to consider the Suns. I'm not saying he's a cure all, but it makes a little bit sense.

Findog
11-01-2007, 11:33 AM

Great players always get their numbers. Kobe is never going to be held below 10 points per game. Same goes for Duncan. The difference btwn a great defender like Bruce Bowen is that he can make those great players work their asses off to get those numbers and he can do it without a double-team. This allows the coaching staff to not have to expend so many precious resources gameplanning for one single player.

bdictjames
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
This guy should go to Seattle. No way will he get PT in Houston and Phoenix.

And1Mak
11-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I think Houston would be a good fit.
He could replace Mutombo, they are good friends already.

I wish Dallas had kept him, instead of Ager...but oh well.
His main problem in Dallas was picking up too many fouls and injuries.

T Park
11-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Apparently Thomas couldn't guard Duncan either since he averaged quite a few points against him. No one can guard Duncan

No one can, true, but, he allowed single coverage of Duncan, so Stoudamire stayed out of foul trouble.

Now? Skinner and Marion don't stand a chance. He'll have them on the bench so quick you won't know what happened.

sribb43
11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
no matter where he goes he should get very little if any playing time. The guy just doesnt know how to play bball. All he does is run around not knowing where to be. But if the spurs or suns want him, by all means sign and play him as much as you want