PDA

View Full Version : Best ever? Duncan's fourth ring says so, Telegram Star

biba
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Best ever? Duncan's fourth ring says so

By JAN HUBBARD
Star-Telegram Staff Writer Posted on Wed, Oct. 31, 2007
http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/286543.html

SAN ANTONIO -- If championships are the measure of excellence, then the 18,797 fans who watched the Spurs open the season with a 106-97 victory over the Portland Trail Blazers Tuesday night at the AT&T Center witnessed a significant moment in basketball history.

A little background first:

Bill Russell was the resident superstar on 11 Celtics championship teams.

Michael Jordan led the Bulls to six titles.

On Tuesday night, Tim Duncan got his fourth ring.

If championships are the measure of greatness, then it is apparent that Russell is the greatest center in history and Jordan is the greatest guard.

Last night, the other position became official:

Tim Duncan is the greatest forward to ever play in the National Basketball Association.

"That's a big statement," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "I think it gets down to him and Larry Bird. They are different types of forwards, but they both dominated games. I'm prejudiced, obviously, but I don't know if I can say Tim is better than Bird. It's pretty close."

Again, however, the criteria are championships.

Some would argue that Bird faced more difficult competition, playing during the same era when Magic Johnson, a guard, led the Lakers to five titles.

But besides winning one more title than Bird, Duncan overcame an obstacle that had been negotiated by only one man before him.

San Antonio Express-News columnist Buck Harvey was the first to write that only two superstar players won a title, watched all 11 teammates leave, and then went on to win another title with an entirely new group.

Bill Russell and Tim Duncan.

Jordan had Scottie Pippen. Magic had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Bird had Kevin McHale and Robert Parish. Even in the early days of the NBA, George Mikan had Hall of Fame forward Jim Pollard as a teammate on five championship teams.

Some players like Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain and Shaquille O'Neal have won titles with more than one franchise and obviously had different sets of teammates. Role players like Robert Horry have been with several franchises and contributed to titles.

But only Duncan and Russell have carried two different groups of teammates to titles for the same franchise.

"It kind of makes it more fun," Duncan said. "It's a new challenge. It's a new group of faces that haven't had that experience before. That keeps it new and fresh, not that it needs to be new and fresh, but it keeps it new and fresh and it's easy to be motivated that way."

Brent Barry, Duncan's teammate, comes from a basketball family and has been around the NBA all his life. He said one of Duncan's great attributes, similar to Magic's, is his selflessness.

"Tim really is a throwback to Bill Russell and those type of players who didn't concern themselves with individual accolades," Barry said. "In some cases, he steps up, and in the case of last year, he steps aside."

That's what Duncan did in the 4-0 sweep of Cleveland in the 2007 Finals when he deferred to Tony Parker, who averaged 24.5 points, shot 57 percent and won the Most Valuable Player award. Duncan had been the MVP of the Spurs' first three championships.

Duncan's dedication to winning can be measured in his latest contract. He has agreed to a two-year, $40 million contract extension, but under terms of the collective bargaining agreement, he could have had a maximum contract of $51 million.

He took less, however, because it means that in 2010, the first year of the extension, the Spurs will have more flexibility in the free-agent market. And guess who becomes available in 2010? LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Duncan has established his legacy. No forward has ever been better. And he has the rings to prove it.

Jan Hubbard, 817-390-7760
[email protected]

- Duncan228 are you sleeping or didn't I see this thread ? - :spin

Galileo
10-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Duncan > Bird

curtismedellin
10-31-2007, 06:03 PM
nice article biba.

sprrs
10-31-2007, 06:17 PM
The article's not really insinuating that we have a shot at Lebron or DWade in 2010 is it? I mean that would be ridiculously awesome, but please.

duncan228
10-31-2007, 06:49 PM
- Duncan228 are you sleeping or didn't I see this thread ? - :spin

I've had an off day! :lol
Thanks to ST though, the articles I would have posted got posted.

I'm all about Duncan.
I guess that's become obvious! :lol

I expect to be back on my game tomorrow, though with a late start.
So keep them coming-ST has never let me down! :spin

biba
10-31-2007, 06:58 PM
As Duncan and the Spurs, late start, strong finish :toast

exstatic
10-31-2007, 07:02 PM
The article's not really insinuating that we have a shot at Lebron or DWade in 2010 is it? I mean that would be ridiculously awesome, but please.
They would have enough cap/taxroom...if they cut Ginobili loose in 2010. He'll be a 33 Y.O. shooting guard, well past his sell by date.

duncan228
10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
As Duncan and the Spurs, late start, strong finish :toast

You got it!

I forgot to say great article.
Thanks for posting it! :toast

mbass
10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
They would have enough cap/taxroom...if they cut Ginobili loose in 2010. He'll be a 33 Y.O. shooting guard, well past his sell by date.
Can you even imagine a Spurs team with Duncan, Parker and LeBron???

biba
10-31-2007, 07:16 PM
You got it!

I forgot to say great article.
Thanks for posting it!

You're welcome, sir.

Indeed it's a great article with some substance.

As you, I don't post everything I find. This one worth it.

O-Factor
10-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Can you even imagine a Spurs team with Duncan, Parker and LeBron???

Would a LeBron or any othe young superstar come to the Spurs and play AND WIN with Pop and Parker after the Duncan era?

exstatic
10-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Would a LeBron or any othe young superstar come to the Spurs and play AND WIN with Parker after the Pop and Duncan era?
FIFY

duncan228
10-31-2007, 07:43 PM
You're welcome, sir.

Indeed it's a great article with some substance.

As you, I don't post everything I find. This one worth it.

It was worth it.

And I'm not a "sir," as the board is just recently discovering. :lol

mystargtr34
10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Larry Bird was really something else, but Duncan, although not the offensive jugernaut Larry was, is light years ahead on the other end of the floor.

Im not ready to put Duncan ahead of Bird though... they are equal IMO

GrandeDavid
10-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Tim = O Homem

biba
11-01-2007, 06:26 AM
It was worth it.

And I'm not a "sir," as the board is just recently discovering. :lol

:rolleyes Sorry Lady!

And I knew it... I read the post you told it. And forgot it immediately.

I identify you too much to Duncan(228).

But I will keep it in mind now and maybe I'll see something different in your posts... :)