PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Draft - For the Aussies - Andrew Bogut

xcoriate
12-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Dunno if I should have posted else where but here goes...

Bogut is on a tear, and the Spurs have very little chance of grabbing him late in the draft now, unless he regresses.

Draft City in their latest mock draft have him going at number 3 next year!

http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=79

If interested you can read a write up on him also at

http://www.draftcity.com/viewarticle.php?a=77

SA is projected as picking Joey Graham a 6’7 SF

You can read a bit about him at the first link, we may also end up with Phoenix's pick this year for the Barbosa trade.

Go Aussie Go :smokin

Solid D
12-22-2004, 08:21 AM
As crazy as it sounds, the Spurs could potentially be drafting before Phoenix this year and the Spurs are a terrific team!

Thanks for the info, xcoriate. His team could use a few more supporting players. Although Bogut seems to be playing well, most of their wins have come against Devry Institute and the Little Sisters of the Poor/Northwest Campus. I see that they lost big to Utah St. and then played a pretty close game with #15 (at the time) Arizona. Perhaps Andrew could use some more scoring support.

Solid D
12-22-2004, 09:41 AM
thing is this guy goes into a dissertation about the phoenix pick at #30....and that is our pick isn't it?

No, not necessarily. The draft slots are based on current records/rankings. Nobody knows what the actual draft order will be until the 2004-05 season is completed.

Secondly, the Suns 1st round pick that they traded has conditions. The pick is top-20 protected at least through 2009, if needed. For the next 5 years, the Spurs can use the pick only if it is 21 or lower (worse). The pick is unconditional if still available by 2010.

whottt
12-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Assuming the conditions are met to leave the pick unprotected..Who decides when the pick gets used, us or the Suns?

SlovenianGuy
12-22-2004, 10:31 AM
Maybe Spurs get another player from Slovenia. Slokar and Lorbek should be a late first round or early second round pick.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-22-2004, 10:35 AM
hey xcoriate, if someone else drafts bogut, would that make them your new favorite team?

xcoriate
12-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Nah, but I would be a fan of bogut still. Gaze and Heal played here first :)

and as a result I have come to love the players on the Spurs and couldn't ditch em

MI21
12-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Judging on his international play, Bogut is going to be fantastic.

But Number 3 in the draft, I had no idea he had that type attention being paid to him.

xcoriate
12-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Yeah neither it blew my mind when I checked it out, I gotta try and pay more attention to college ball... pretty hard with the lack of media coverage though

AlamoSpursFan
12-22-2004, 01:48 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Mock drafts a week before draft day are worthless. Midway through the season they are just retarded.

genghisrex
12-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Just for a little perspective, NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/index.asp) has Bogut going 19. At this point it's too early to tell where he'll end up, but he's definitely playing well.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Well my Aussie friends, hopefully you don't stop cheering the Spurs when Bogut gets drafted by someone else. I didn't expect him to get consideration that high but draftcity did a pretty good job on their mock draft last year so we'll see how that turns out. NBAdraft.net has him going at 19. Figuring a draft position somewhere in between, it's unlikely the Spurs will have a shot at him.

If it's Phoenix's choice to give us that pick, they obviously hand it over. Unless they see someone they really like with a possibility of them being available, a 28-30 draft choice becomes really expendable, especially when you owe it to someone. One other consideration, since it falls out of the protected range, is it automatically conveyed? Even then, I don't see the Spurs signing two first round picks. More likely they trade at least one for a future pick or to a team with two second round choices. Granted we had been trading picks in the past to keep salary cap space open and that situation no longer applies but with the talent level we have and overseas picks waiting to come in, I don't see the Spurs signing two guaranteed money guys to be IR fodder. Even though the Spurs do their homework, you can't always find a gem with a pick that late, much less two.

Solid D
12-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Granted we had been trading picks in the past to keep salary cap space open and that situation no longer applies but with the talent level we have and overseas picks waiting to come in, I don't see the Spurs signing two guaranteed money guys to be IR fodder. Even though the Spurs do their homework, you can't always find a gem with a pick that late, much less two.

True, but I would like to point out that the salary cap space is once again a concern. Manu and Tony signed big deals. The core of Tim, Manu, TP, the BBs, Beno and Malik plus change adds up to commitments of almost $45M this season, over $45M next year and then runs up to around $48M or $49M after that.

xcoriate
12-22-2004, 06:32 PM
If there is someone they want at that position they will grab him, perhaps they will trade up?

tsb2000
12-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Bogut is a stud. He's put some muscle on this year, too. Too bad Majerus isn't there any more. Call me biased if you will- note avatar (and alma matter) at left. :)

xcoriate
12-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Tell me more :)

RobinsontoDuncan
12-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Um, If we have to picks this year, cant we just "take a flyer" as the guy in Xcoriate's mock draft report says, and leave two raw players in Europe for a couple fo years? That technique seems to never get old with this team and it means we can keep the players there until we think the deserve a roster spot. Hey Xcoriate, i hate to say this, but even if the spurs had a chance to draft him do you think they would considering we have Scola to sign?

Maybe if we trade both our picks and the rights to Scola we can get him though if he is mid-range (11-19) first round.