PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sluggish D - Real or Rust?

AFBlue
10-31-2007, 09:42 PM
I've noticed the first two games haven't been up to par defensively and was wondering whether it was just the rust, which will be shaken off as the group continues to play on the court together, or whether it was a real problem with Bowen/Finley/Barry aging on the perimeter and Oberto/Bonner/Elson just not being that good defensively.

I think it's probably just a bit of rust....

What do you think?

exstatic
10-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Rust. The "D" is always the last thing to come around. Pop hasn't called them soft yet. The over/under is 15 December.

Spurs Brazil
10-31-2007, 09:46 PM
The D was good in the 4th quarter tonight

THE SIXTH MAN
10-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Spam baby. Thats all you need to know.

FromWayDowntown
The Spurs gave up 88 or more in 8 of their first 10 last year and gave up 94+ in four of those games. This would seem to be the norm more than a point of any immediate concern.

JsnSA
I think the D has actually been better than it has in the last few years for this point in the season.

It usually takes them a while to get the defensive rotations crisp.

Walter Craparita
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Rust

jman3000
10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
we've gone up against some pretty young and athletic teams these first 2 games... i'd liken the lack of D more to early season growing pains and getting back in rhythm then anything else.

703 Spurz
10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Rust baby. Back to back games to start the season is tough. Now with 2 days off and the Artest/Bibby-less Kings coming to town, I'd expect a

Spurs 103
Kings 80

score :toast

TDMVPDPOY
10-31-2007, 09:59 PM
finley and oberto should be traded

barry i give him one more game

itzsoweezee
10-31-2007, 10:03 PM
who cares? after last season, it should be pretty obvious that you should not give a shit until around april. then you can worry.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-31-2007, 10:09 PM
who cares? after last season, it should be pretty obvious that you should not give a shit until around april. then you can worry.

This is the first season where I'm actually taking that mentality.

Had this been a year ago, and the Spurs dropped the game to memphis, I would've been irate and made a 9 paragraph thread bitching about it.

But even if we had lost tonight, I wouldn't have cared, because last year really proved for me that anything can happen.

dbreiden83080
10-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Definately RUST, your D does not go from the best in the league to mediocre in one offseason.

BeerIsGood!
10-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Phat Tony, did you just throw this question out there for shits and giggles? I know you watch the Spurs enough to know that the defense is always shitty in the beginning of the year but builds steadily after December/January. This is actually good defense for this time of year, and most of the deficiencies aren't from Bowen or even Barry/Manu - they're from missed big man rotations to cover the wings. Too many open shots that will get remedied once the team gets back in rhythm together.

Also, you have to add in the defending champs factor. They're getting the best and biggest shot from every team they're playing, especially at the beginning of the year. They got just about the absolute best game Portland can play (because Aldridge and Webster aren't shooting like that many times this season), and probably got just about the best shot the Grizzlies can throw as well. Both of these first opponents can't play any better and they still lost against a somewhat rusty Spurs team.

duncan228
10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Spam baby. Thats all you need to know.

It's the truth.
It takes the Spurs through the RRT to work out the kinks.
When it matters, after March, the Spurs play like a well oiled machine.

We'll see games lost that we should have won, games won that surprise us.
But it's all just preparation. Getting in gear. Figuring out rotations, limiting minutes on our core, getting them ready.

The Spurs will win this Title like they've won the first four.
Flying under the radar for the regular season. Letting the focus be on all the high flying flashy teams. Letting the average fan make their predictions about Boston and Dallas and Phoenix.

You won't see the Spurs on ESPN's highlights.
Until June.

intlspurshk
10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
I saw Bonner few bodies away from the players whom he is supposed to defend and he misses rotation due to his exta low speed. Yeah he hits few shoots and hustles. But no one care about the points SPURS lost because of him?????

I would trade him + F Elson for T Outlaw and Outlaw is not that good indeed.

smrattler
10-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Honestly, I think we've reached the "switch" stage already with this team. They feel they can "turn it on" when they have to. I think they will coast early on this season on D and try to get things clicking mid season and on. You can see it even in these games... when they NEED the stops, they turn it on and make them. By later in the year, they'll turn it on all game long and suffocate teams like we like to see.

The offense is going to come faster. The D is more about effort. With this group, having already done it, everyone knows how we do it. So, not about K"knowing", it's about effort on D now. This team is too old to try to play playoff D in October. They need to pace themselves.

Actually, even much younger teams need to pace themselves too. You don't want to play your best now, you'll run out of steam by May.

PerforatedNeckline
11-01-2007, 12:15 AM
last year in late december after an especially unimpressive performance against milwaukee, pop called the team the worst defensive club he'd had since he'd been in san antonio. and we all know how that season ended up.

sprrs
11-01-2007, 01:07 AM
This is the first season where I'm actually taking that mentality.

Had this been a year ago, and the Spurs dropped the game to memphis, I would've been irate and made a 9 paragraph thread bitching about it.

But even if we had lost tonight, I wouldn't have cared, because last year really proved for me that anything can happen.

After the '99 season where they started off 8-10 and the '03 season where they had a 4 game losing streak? I figured that out a loong time ago.

timmy21_4rings
11-01-2007, 01:22 AM
their D is in last years December Form. So it is not rust

urunobili
11-01-2007, 08:23 AM
it'll be there guys... patience... Pop wil be pacing the team differently this year...

jmard5
11-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Just rust. Give them time.

George Gervin's Afro
11-01-2007, 08:33 AM
yes.

Reggie Miller
11-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Don't forget the returning champion factor. I couldn't watch the game last night (Pacers opener, Halloween, etc.), but Portland definitely gave 100% effort for 48 minutes. It's early in the season, and teams are going to give the Spurs their best shot.

Also, Memphis and Portland need every win they can possibly get if they are going to make the playoffs. Neither team can look at the schedule and just mark these with an "L," which some teams will be doing later.

MoSpur
11-01-2007, 08:44 AM
I say its rust. Its only two games into the season.

Cry Havoc
11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Rust, and passive defense. A lot of teams are settling for long jumpers against us, and the D is slagging off to go for the boards + transition. The only problem is that they've been hitting some tough shots, so our games have been close.

703 Spurz
11-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Don't forget the returning champion factor. I couldn't watch the game last night (Pacers opener, Halloween, etc.), but Portland definitely gave 100% effort for 48 minutes. It's early in the season, and teams are going to give the Spurs their best shot.

Also, Memphis and Portland need every win they can possibly get if they are going to make the playoffs. Neither team can look at the schedule and just mark these with an "L," which some teams will be doing later.

Even if the defense was shitty, which it hasn't been, we're still 2-0. Things can and will get better

nkdlunch
11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
their D is good enough for the first week of the season. still best in the league

Taco
11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
back 2 back

ehz33satx
11-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Come back in 30 games and ask this question then, if it still pertains. It's only 2 games into the season. Trust the Spurs to only get better.

nfg3
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Early and their D will improve over time. No big deal now. If this continues into the allstar break or later then it would be a concern. Even last year we were struggling around the break but then came together and ripped through the league. Pop will manage the PT of his vets and give the younger players more time to show their stuff. Spurs need to incorporate the younger/newer ones so as to give the vets that extra time to rest and as an added insurance policy, too. Its a long season and traditionally Pop always treats it as a marathon.

bdictjames
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Come back in 30 games and ask this question then, if it still pertains. It's only 2 games into the season. Trust the Spurs to only get better.
Then you'll say it's only 32 games into the season.

I say give it till February, then people here will get mad on it.

ehz33satx
11-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Then you'll say it's only 32 games into the season.

I say give it till February, then people here will get mad on it.

Like I said, it's only 2 games into the season. You seem to be a pessimist.

ehz33satx
11-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Anyways, what does it matter what I say? I don't play the game, i just watch and enjoy. No worries.

bdictjames
11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Like I said, it's only 2 games into the season. You seem to be a pessimist.
I was being optimistic that time. :lol

When is the first time we get to play a championship-contending team (i.e. Mavs, Phoenix, Denver, Detroit).

Maybe Spurs just lack that fire to blow out opponents early in the season.

FromWayDowntown
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
There are some on this forum who won't be satisfied unless the Spurs win 65 games and run away with the division. Pop has shown that his philosophy is to build through the season; you don't build through the season by playing your best basketball (or anything really that close to it) in October and November.

sa_butta
11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
All that really matters is finding a way to win, how you did it wont matter come playoff time. Spurs will only get better as the season progresses.

AFBlue
11-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I didn't pose this just to rile people up. I posted it because I really don't know whether the defensive concerns were/are legitimate.

Personally, I think it's most likely a combination of both. I don't think Elson/Bonner up front are very good defensively and don't have much ability to improve based on lack of BBIQ and athleticism respectively. I also question whether the age is a factor on the wings....because it was clear to me that the younger, faster, and more athletic individuals slashed into the lane and created space rather easily.

Obviously you can point to the fact that it's only two games and that it's early in the season...but I just happen to think there is legitimate concern.

And I also don't buy the fact that it doesn't matter because the Spurs are 2-0, because the Spurs are supposed to be markedly better than both teams they've faced both offensively and defensively. Realistically, those two games shouldn't have been as close as they were....and the defense was to blame.

ploto
11-01-2007, 05:36 PM
The Spurs played two really crappy teams and gave up not only a lot of points- but high FG%. The perimeter defenders are old and without Horry, the big men suck defensively except for Tim.