PDA

View Full Version : Darius Washington Thoughts

mtigeragony
10-31-2007, 11:36 PM
hey guys i'm new to the board...i'm a memphian...huge fan of the tigers but i grew up a fan of the spurs with having family down there and no local pro team...the spurs were the team i supported and still do...but grizz my number 1 team now...

...anyways...i'm huge a u of memphis tiger fan and i'm just wondering how you guys feel w/ D-wash as the next project(i'm assuming) to hopefully be a solid back up PG to TP?

Thanks guys...great game tonight

BeerIsGood!
10-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Better than the guy that just got shipped off. Still raw and needs to learn when to shoot, but I'd say he's ahead of schedule as far as progress.

xamila rey
11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Today i had the same feeling as beerisgood, He needs to learn when is the right time to shoot. Besides that, i really like his attitude at the court.

Spurminator
11-01-2007, 12:06 AM
Darius reminds me of Malik Rose if Malik was a point guard. Huge heart, great hustle... maybe not the smartest or most talented guy on the floor, but he makes up for it in effort and he's going to get a lot better once the jitters are gone.

Also, he and his father look like twin brothers.

remingtonbo2001
11-01-2007, 12:07 AM
With time, I think he will progress into a solid backup behind TP. The kid plays pretty good defense and has good range for a point guard. A little turnover prone, but so was Tony at 21. Can make the nice pass on occassion. I like him.

remingtonbo2001
11-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Darius reminds me of Malik Rose if Malik was a point guard. Huge heart, great hustle... maybe not the smartest or most talented guy on the floor, but he makes up for it in effort and he's going to get a lot better once the jitters are gone.

Also, he and his father look like twin brothers.

He reminds me more of A.J., equipped with a 3-point shot. I like that possibility. Imagine A.J. in his prime, backing up a Tony Parker just emerging into his own prime. That would be pretty freakin' sweet. I wonder if Darius and Elson can work on that Pick n' Roll /Alley-Oop Avery and David used to work in every now and then.

Russ
11-01-2007, 12:18 AM
DW has an NBA body, as they say. He's quick, athletic, handles the ball pretty well and, most important, seems to be fearless.

NBA points have to be like NFL cornerbacks, plenty of athletic ability and no memory. When he makes a mistake he doesn't go into a shell or pull in the reins. He just keeps playing agressively. Pop may claim he doesn't like that but I think a big part of him does -- that's why he tells Barry to keep shooting no matter what.

timvp
11-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Darius reminds me of Malik Rose if Malik was a point guard.That's a weird comment ....... but also true :lol

ShoogarBear
11-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Darius reminds me of Malik Rose if Malik was a point guard. Probably all the pump fake passes.

slayermin
11-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Reggie Geary? J/K

He's probably better.

timmy21_4rings
11-01-2007, 01:34 AM
he wants to do lot of stuff and ended up missing a lot & completing only few stuff..

He picked up 1 foul unnecessarily within 10 seconds of his debut. I did not understand why he was overly aggressive.

Darkwaters
11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
He picked up 1 foul unnecessarily within 10 seconds of his debut. I did not understand why he was overly aggressive.

The guy entered the draft early and didn't get picked. So he joined a team in camp and got cut right before the season. So, he swallowed his pride and went to Greece for the year only to return and enter the NBA champs' camp. And against all odds, he made the team. So finally, after all that, he is on an NBA court for the first time in a meaningful game. And not just a meaningful game, but in meaningful minutes...backing up the Finals MVP from last year.

Can you blame the guy for being overly zealous and intense? This is his dream and he finally made it! He calmed down, but that quick foul was hardly anything to even take note of. In fact, I almost am happy he made that foul because it was an obvious indication of him knowing how fortunate he is.

Dingle Barry
11-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Probably all the pump fake passes.

Malik, not Nazr. Although mistaking our scrub posts is an understandable error.

urunobili
11-01-2007, 08:22 AM
He will be as good as they come.. i see him taking over the back up PG over Vaugh by March... come playoff time.. POP will go back to Jacque though...

inconvertible
11-01-2007, 09:27 AM
nice find.

Reggie Miller
11-01-2007, 09:35 AM
For his sake, I hope expectations don't get too unrealistic. On the other hand, his play is encouraging this, so it could be a win/win for everyone.

It's impossible not to like the guy, even if he wasn't Beno's replacement.

703 Spurz
11-01-2007, 09:44 AM
All I know is that it's great that we're injecting a little youth in the team with D Wash and Mahinmi. Hopefully they can pick up the game along the way and learn from the vets (which they will have no problem doing).

By next year I think the Spurs will inject more youth while continuing to be a title contender. Depending on how the year pans out, Finley, Barry or Horry might be gone.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-01-2007, 09:52 AM
For his sake, I hope expectations don't get too unrealistic. On the other hand, his play is encouraging this, so it could be a win/win for everyone.

It's impossible not to like the guy, even if he wasn't Beno's replacement.

See Elson, Expectations Following 2006 Season Opener for Francisco.

He is very raw but I'd much rather have a guy who is too aggressive than too tentative. It seems easier to coach a guy to bring that down a notch to help the team than to try to force a guy to be more aggressive. That should be helped considerably just by giving this guy some time to get his emotions under control. The dude's been on a hell of a rollercoaster ride in the last few weeks.

Reggie Miller
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
See Elson, Expectations Following 2006 Season Opener for Francisco.

He is very raw but I'd much rather have a guy who is too aggressive than too tentative. It seems easier to coach a guy to bring that down a notch to help the team than to try to force a guy to be more aggressive. That should be helped considerably just by giving this guy some time to get his emotions under control. The dude's been on a hell of a rollercoaster ride in the last few weeks.

I think you are 100% correct on that. A player may adapt, but people are more or less who they are by age 19-22 or so.

Johnny RIngo
11-01-2007, 10:23 AM
By next year I think the Spurs will inject more youth while continuing to be a title contender. Depending on how the year pans out, Finley, Barry or Horry might be gone.

It'll be great if Splitter comes over but they're really going to need some new perimeter shooters if those 3 decide to retire.

Russ
11-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I figured out who this guy reminds me of, for better or worse . . .

Antonio Daniels.

Same physical specimen, same athletic movement, same flashes of brilliance and, ultimately, same mistakes. Hopefully, DW will get over the mistakes better than AD did.

LEN BIAS 4EVER
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't think he is anywhere near AD's takent level. He needs some work just to become a quality backup point guard in the league.

Hopefully he works on his game enough to do that. I think he will, he has probably stopped believing the hype that he was being feed and had figured out that an nba roster spot isn't his birthright because he was a NYC point guard with a rep.

Taco
11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
he looks pretty good

but he needs to shave the beard :lol

tav1
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
My take on Washington is that he doesn't yet understand "how to play" (which, given his age and experience, is not surprising) and he over dribbles. Everything else about his athleticism and game are promising. In the end, he could be become an above average back up or excellent third point. What I like most about him is that he fits into the Spurs' overall objectives (as I assume them) between now and the end of the Duncan era. I know it's far too early to speculate on these things, but I'm extremely interested to see who the Spurs target next offseason--Washington's development could save them money that they otherwise would have spent on his position. I think it will prove the most important offseason of the last decade and Washington's serviceable play could allow the Spurs to spend more on a quality SG or SF than originally planned.

George Gervin's Afro
11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
I like his intensity and defense.. he is very active... he's off to a good start

Darkwaters
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I know it's far too early to speculate on these things, but I'm extremely interested to see who the Spurs target next offseason--Washington's development could save them money that they otherwise would have spent on his position. I think it will prove the most important offseason of the last decade and Washington's serviceable play could allow the Spurs to spend more on a quality SG or SF than originally planned.

I agree completely. Picking up Washington now will likely be saving them a draft pick next season. Our farm system over in Europe is pretty thin right now. Once you take Splitter and Sanikidze out of the equation (which will likely happen next season) then all thats left are some scraps (Karaulov, Javtokas). By picking up Darius out of camp it should help us rebuild our developmental players overseas over the next year or two. With 4 second rounders over the next two drafts (as well as both of our firsts) we could get a flurry of prospects.

worm9110
11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
I really like D. Washington...he hustles and runs the floor like a champ...lots of heart. I do agree with most about finding the time to shoot...but he will improve. I think he has a great eye for passing the ball and finding the open man. He will get better. He plays pretty solid defense. I like him as the third point guard...alot better than having Beno for sure!!

Steve-O-Matic
11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
he looks pretty good

but he needs to shave the beard :lol
Amen! It looks like a giant black wool chinstrap. Not a good look.

Joe Schmoogins
11-01-2007, 08:02 PM
maybe he just needs to trim it a bit. No harm in the beard, but it is getting a little nappy and overgrown. Come on D-Wash, why don't you show a little effort and get with the program.

barbacoataco
11-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I think he looks better than expected so far, especially his energy and hustle. When he has entered the game so far he looks like an NBA player. His 3-pt shot looks decent, but his mid-range jumper needs work. In the Spurs system the PG always gets a lot of wide open jumpers, almost daring Parker or Vaughn to take the shot.
The Spurs did the right thing in picking him over Marcus Williams. They saw a better option and took it, and many times individual EGO gets in the way, and FO people don't want to admit they made a poor draft choice. I know some of the fellows on this board did not believe the Spurs would sign Washington.

The way it looks now, the Spurs are looking really set for the next 5 years. They found their backup PG. They have Splitter available next year, and Mahinmi has looked better than expected. Duncan and Ginobili have several good years left. They will need a new SG/SF to replace Barry and/or Finley, and that is about it.

RADECK
11-02-2007, 05:38 AM
It's hard to say anything after two games, i like him ok so far. Let's wait how he'll play against other teams.

RADECK
11-02-2007, 05:41 AM
It's hard to say anything after two games, i like him so far. Let's wait how he'll play against other teams.

timvp
11-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I figured out who this guy reminds me of, for better or worse . . .

Antonio Daniels.

Same physical specimen, same athletic movement, same flashes of brilliance and, ultimately, same mistakes. Hopefully, DW will get over the mistakes better than AD did.I don't see the AD comparison at all. AD is 6'4 and skinny. DWash is 5'11 and wide. AD is a shooting guard who will reluctantly run point guard when asked to. DWash has played point guard his whole life. AD is often not aggressive enough. DWash is often too aggressive. AD likes to play above the rim. DWash likes to play below the rim. I struggle to think of any way these two players are similar.

Spurminator
11-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Darius is like AD if AD were Malik Rose, and a point guard. :)

nfg3
11-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Good potential but raw. Needs to slow down and let the game come to him rather than forcing the issue. Somewhat turnover prone but that will disappear as he gains experience - think Tony P. I Like his intensity and hustle. The floater that he did on Gasol was nice! Not afraid to stick nose in there and that steal he made was great anticipation on his part. All in all a very good find and going to be a solid back up for TP.

Russ
11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Darius is like AD if AD were Malik Rose, and a point guard. :)
Exactly! :)

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
If anyone interest Spanoulis in Greece >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Washington in Greece.

This should show Spur fan what type of player they get if Spanoulis come to Spur and give proper chance to play.

coopdogg3
11-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Washington is in Greece?

Mr. Body
11-03-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think Spanoulis could grow a manly beard like Washington clearly can.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2007, 12:29 PM
If anyone interest Spanoulis in Greece >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Washington in Greece.Greece doesn't matter. Shane Heal could play in Greece.

This should show Spur fan what type of player they get if Spanoulis come to Spur and give proper chance to play.We could probably use both of them, so there's no need to pick one over the other.

Kill_Bill_Pana
11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Washington is in Greece?

I mean when Washington play in A1 Ethniki team PAOK for ULEB Cup.

Tippecanoe
11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
If anyone interest Spanoulis in Greece >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Washington in Greece.

This should show Spur fan what type of player they get if Spanoulis come to Spur and give proper chance to play.

except...

darius in USA >>>>>> spanoulis in USA

which is all that matters

Darkwaters
11-03-2007, 12:37 PM
except...

darius in USA >>>>>> spanoulis in USA

which is all that matters
I wouldn't say that. Washington hasn't really proven much of anything yet anyways. But in the little he has shown hes been given a green light to play his game by Pop.

Spanoulis was always an afterthought in Houston by Van Gundy. He played the role of the red headed step child that nobody seemed to want. I feel strongly that he could be a productive NBA player if given the green light. So comparing Washington and Spanoulis is not a fair comparison at all.

It's like comparing apples to atom bombs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-03-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't think Spanoulis could grow a manly beard like Washington clearly can.
:tu