PDA

View Full Version : Has Diop Arrived?

monosylab1k
11-01-2007, 12:14 AM
This guy was crushing people on D, setting great picks, rebounding like a beast, and he even made an offensive move or two to get an open look for himself.

I realize that this is one regular season game against a shitty Eastern Conference team. Despite writing this I know at least 5 douchebag Spurs fans will reply to this thread with "dude this was one regular season game against a shitty Eastern Conference team, premature ejac forum".

But still, if this is the type of production the Mavs can expect from Diop night in and night out, then this team is FUCKING SET. The less we have to rely on Vagina Dampier to do anything, the better off this team is. With Diop/Bass being able to eat up more minutes at Center, that leaves less time for perfectly placed passes to bounce off Dampier's hands and out of bounds. And that is ALWAYS a good thing for the Mavericks.

mavs>spurs2
11-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Well said.

By the looks of this game, i'd say Harris and Diop are easily the most improved on the team. Harris' jumper looked much better, especially that desperation 3 at the end of the 3rd. And Diop was very active on both ends, as was Bass. Like you said, it's only one regular season game but i still can't help but feel a little optimistic.

Amarelooms
11-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Ummm sorry but I dont see it. Diop was good on D as usual...his offense is still horrible and always will be. He needs to only shoot if he has a layup...NEVER otherwise. Also, Devin made a lot of stupid passes and turnovers trying to get the ball in the post....can bh please just play smart and in control? Is that too much to ask :elephant

mavsfan1000
11-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Man I am excited about this year. This team looks really solid. I like the idea of Terry coming off the bench. Great scoring threat off the bench and Harris has really improved. Go Mavs!

OldDirtMcGirt
11-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Diop is a beast on the boards and on D, but I don't see an effective or consistent offensive game coming from him anytime soon. Definitely good today, although Cleveland's frontcourt is pretty damn asstastic.

Dirk Nowitzki
11-01-2007, 08:13 AM
:clap :clap :clap I LOVE THESE GUYS! This team is going to be better than last years and possibly 2006. I really love our chances more than ever now! Mono you should feel optimistic! This team is more than good enough to win the championship. Spurs fans (despite winning it all last year) KNOW deep down inside that the Mavs can beat them. LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! :elephant :elephant :elephant

Findog
11-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm more excited about Devin Harris. He was a big reason why we killed them last night. His jumper looks a lot better, and don't be fooled by those six turnovers. A lot of those were because Eddie Jones and Jerry Stackhouse have feet stuck in cement.

stretch
11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
The guy I've been really looking forward to, and think will be HUGE for us is Trenton Hassell. Him and Eddie Jones were playing some damn good D.

monosylab1k
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Ummm sorry but I dont see it. Diop was good on D as usual...his offense is still horrible and always will be. He needs to only shoot if he has a layup...NEVER otherwise. Also, Devin made a lot of stupid passes and turnovers trying to get the ball in the post....can bh please just play smart and in control? Is that too much to ask :elephant
he gave us exactly what we need from our Center offensively. He didn't have to create his own shot, he just took advantage of whatever opportunity was there for him to get an easy lay in. And he caught passes. Offensively if he can be Dampier with better hands, that's perfect. And his defense is already far better.

Indazone
11-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Haha, but you got Juwan Howard and the curse of Juwan Howard. Every team he plays for is beset with freak injuries. Team gets eliminated in the first round. After he leaves, the team flourishes.

Good Luck Mavs!! LOL

clambake
11-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Diop's game is becoming impressive. i thought he looked good last year. i've got high hopes for this guy. no trades.

Spawn
11-02-2007, 05:58 AM
he gave us exactly what we need from our Center offensively. He didn't have to create his own shot, he just took advantage of whatever opportunity was there for him to get an easy lay in. And he caught passes. Offensively if he can be Dampier with better hands, that's perfect. And his defense is already far better.

He just needs to work on his rebounding a little more and he will be set. But Dampier is not completely useless. He clogs up the lane, plays good defense, and is one of the best offensive rebounders in the game.

stretch
11-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Dampier also is among the best pick-setting centers in the league. He does a lot of things that go unnoticed for the Mavericks. As frustrating as he can be with his stone hands, he is still one of the better centers in the league, and a good guy to have down there.

Spawn
11-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Dampier also is among the best pick-setting centers in the league. He does a lot of things that go unnoticed for the Mavericks. As frustrating as he can be with his stone hands, he is still one of the better centers in the league, and a good guy to have down there.

Absolutely he does many little things that go unnoticed and is a good guy to have on your team. But in this stat driven sportscenter highlight sports world the things he does often goes overlooked, and it is a damn shame.

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 09:25 AM
it's great that Dampier does all the little things but that's exactly what they are - little things.

i love that he can set a great pick, but if i had a choice, i'd rather have a center that can catch a perfectly placed pass from Dirk when he's wide open under the basket in the last minutes of a Finals game. i'd rather have a guy with a reputation for playing balls-out all the time instead of a guy who is notorious for loafing. and i'd rather have a guy who will grow a sack and stand up to Tim Duncan in OT of a game 7 instead of a guy who talks big and then gets dominated by any center with minimal skills.

stretch
11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
it's great that Dampier does all the little things but that's exactly what they are - little things.

i love that he can set a great pick, but if i had a choice, i'd rather have a center that can catch a perfectly placed pass from Dirk when he's wide open under the basket in the last minutes of a Finals game. i'd rather have a guy with a reputation for playing balls-out all the time instead of a guy who is notorious for loafing. and i'd rather have a guy who will grow a sack and stand up to Tim Duncan in OT of a game 7 instead of a guy who talks big and then gets dominated by any center with minimal skills.
Aside from the obvious superstars, how many centers in the league fit those descriptions?

And besides... would you rather have Shawn Bradley and Scott Williams?

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Aside from the obvious superstars, how many centers in the league fit those descriptions?

And besides... would you rather have Shawn Bradley and Scott Williams?
Diop fits just fine. He doesn't drop easy passes, he plays with balls and never backs down, and he works his ass off. He's not the most skilled guy but he's getting better and he's a good enough rebounder & pick setter that we aren't losing all that much in those aspects by playing him alot more than Dampier. Plus we're gaining alot more defense, hustle, and attitude.

I'd rather Avery do the obvious thing and make Diop the full-time starter and play Dampier in purely a backup role. No platooning. 30 minutes for Diop and 15 or so for Damp.

dieman8686
11-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Haha, but you got Juwan Howard and the curse of Juwan Howard. Every team he plays for is beset with freak injuries. Team gets eliminated in the first round. After he leaves, the team flourishes.

Good Luck Mavs!! LOL
I think you're mistaking him for McGrady :lol .