PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio (20-5) at Orlando (14-10)

ducks
12-22-2004, 09:03 AM
the San Antonio Spurs are becoming adept at recovering from deficits. The Orlando Magic can attest to that.
Winners of four straight, the Spurs seek their second victory in a week against the Magic as the teams conclude their season series.

The Spurs rallied from a 12-point deficit in the third quarter last Wednesday to defeat the Magic 94-91. San Antonio battled back to win despite the loss of starting point guard Tony Parker, who sat out the fourth quarter with a groin injury.

The Spurs' comeback ability was on display again Saturday, as San Antonio fell behind 27-16 in the first quarter but went on to beat Golden State 104-85.

Parker bounced back to play a crucial role in the win over the Warriors, scoring 21 points as the Spurs extended their winning streak to four.

San Antonio guard Brent Barry scored all seven of his points in eight minutes of the second quarter to help spark the rally.

Hailed as the answer to the Spurs' shooting woes when he signed as a free agent in the offseason, Barry entered Saturday's game shooting 38 percent from the field. He showed why San Antonio was eager to sign him, however, by hitting a 3-pointer on his first attempt and then driving the lane for a short jumper.

``I'm just trying to get out there and help out any way that I can,'' Barry said. ``To this point in the season I haven't played like I wanted to, so it's nice to have 82 games.''

Tim Duncan added 12 points for the Spurs. Duncan has led the Spurs or shared the lead in scoring and rebounding in 18 of his team's 24 games, and led in rebounding in every game.

Orlando has lost four of its last five.

``We have to figure out a way to steal some games, just like teams have been doing to us,'' said Magic forward Grant Hill, who had 20 points in a 117-107 loss to Miami on Sunday.

Orlando, eager to challenge Miami's supremacy atop the Southeast Division, instead fell four games behind the Heat.

The Magic's transition game fizzled at the end, and they managed just two baskets in the final 5:16.

``That's one of the parts of the game where we have yet to grow,'' coach Johnny Davis said. ``Down the stretch, the maturity and experience of a team show.''

Steve Francis led Orlando with 31 points, many on acrobatic, slashing shots, drawing a foul on one twisting attempt with his back to the basket. Francis is shooting 56 percent (18-for-32) in his last two games.

Jimcs50
12-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Magic's Francis treats kids
His party for 75 Boys and Girls Clubs members included games, gifts and food.

By Kyle Hightower | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted December 22, 2004

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2004-12/15558368.jpg

The tall man dressed in jeans and a black baseball cap was well above the 10 years of age and 52 inches required to ride the Quad Helix go-carts.

But Orlando Magic guard Steve Francis just smiled as he squeezed his 6-foot-3, 200-pound frame inside the yellow, No. 3 car. When he finally fastened his seat belt, Francis flipped around his cap and gave a thumbs-up to the grinning row of boys and girls behind him.

Francis hosted his annual Holiday Extravaganza on Tuesday for 75 children (ages 6-11) from Central Florida Boys and Girls Clubs. The event -- held at Fun Spot Action Park off International Drive -- was put on by the Steve Francis Foundation. The nonprofit group was started by the NBA star four years ago to raise money for Boys and Girls Clubs nationwide.

"I think it's the most sentimental time," Francis said. "Because during the holidays most people are with their families, and this is a time where everybody can relate, no matter what your age is."

The foundation has held similar events in Houston (home of Francis' former team) the past three years. Tuesday's extravaganza featured games, go-cart rides, reading stories, the distribution of toys and books and food.

"As usual for me, it's always been something that I've been interested in -- giving back to the community," Francis said. "Being that this is my first year in Orlando, I thought it would be a great thing to start things off for the holidays."

Francis grew up in Takoma Park, a tough neighborhood outside of Washington, D.C. It was at the Takoma Park Boys and Girls Club that he first was introduced to athletics.

Gilberto Hall, vice president of operations for Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Florida, said it is encouraging to see people with the status of Francis giving back.

"I think it's great," Hall said. "A lot of these kids come from disadvantaged circumstances and areas of low income. If not for this, some of them would not have presents. So for him to show the gesture and give each of them a present, I think it speaks a lot of him."

Francis said the foundation's work with the clubs in Houston and now Orlando has been very rewarding and causes him to reminisce often about his own childhood. Of the five events that his foundation sponsors throughout the year, Francis called the Extravaganza his favorite.

"I think it's a great thing that you're able to come back and actually interact," Francis said. "I'm in a fortunate situation now where I can help other people."

Kyle Hightower can be reached at [email protected].

GrandeDavid
12-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Nice charitable work, Steve! I have newfound respect for you.

SpursFanInAustin
12-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't know why, but I have this feeling the Spurs might drop one in Orlando tonight. They may be looking ahead to tomorrow's game with the TWolves.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Good job Stevie. It's always good to hear about people coming back to help the organizations that helped them. Too many people that hit it big, especially athletes, are arrogantly convinced that they got to where they were at without the help and support of others. The truth is, no matter how much talent you have, someone at some point down the line did something to help you out.

That being said, even as good as Stevie was on Tuesday, Santa is not granting his wish for a victory over the Spurs. The Spurs break the 100 threshold and win by double digits.

genghisrex
12-22-2004, 05:29 PM
From Spurs.com:

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/manu_lead_041222.jpg

Manu Ginoibli and the Spurs visit Orlando tonight.

:shootme