PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Washington retracing steps

timvp
11-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Spurs notebook: Washington retracing steps
Jeff McDonald
Express-News

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — If Spurs rookie point guard Darius Washington experienced a sense of déjà vu walking into the FedEx Forum before Wednesday night's game against the Memphis Grizzlies, there was good reason for it.

He really had been here before.

Washington, of course, played his college ball at Memphis between 2004-06 before declaring for the NBA draft. His home court then was the Grizzlies' home court now — the FedEx Forum.

"I'm back in the place I committed to two, three years ago," Washington said. "I'm back in front of the Memphis fans, this time as a professional. It's unbelievable."

For the second night in a row, Washington got off the bench in the first quarter in the Spurs' 104-101 victory. He finished with four points in 11 minutes.

It was another sweet homecoming for Washington, the final addition to the Spurs' roster at the end of training camp. He played in his hometown of Orlando, Fla., in a Spurs' preseason game last week.

Washington's two-game trial-by-fire has been good for him, coach Gregg Popovich said. He plans to get Washington, the team's only healthy backup point guard behind Tony Parker, a heaping helping of minutes early in the year.

"We might as well find out what he can do," Popovich said. "It might be that he turns into a hell of a player."

No go for Udoka: Ime Udoka is still the only active Spurs player yet to see the floor this season.

Udoka, the Spurs' most notable free-agent acquisition of the offseason, started 75 games in Portland last year. In San Antonio, however, he is competing for minutes on a crowded wing behind Manu Ginobili and Brent Barry.

"He's down the line a bit right now," Popovich said of Udoka. "But things happen in the course of a season. He will get his chance."

Memphis freeze-out:The Grizzlies poured cold water all over the Spurs' victory Wednesday — literally.

There was no hot water in the Spurs' locker room after the game, leading to quick showers and a handful of good-natured complaints.

The only Spur not grumbling: Matt Bonner.

"I'm from New Hampshire," he said. "It's not cold to me."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110107.07C.BKNspurs.washington.393a48a.html

timvp
11-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Washington's two-game trial-by-fire has been good for him, coach Gregg Popovich said. He plans to get Washington, the team's only healthy backup point guard behind Tony Parker, a heaping helping of minutes early in the year.

"We might as well find out what he can do," Popovich said. "It might be that he turns into a hell of a player.":hungry:

That's exactly what I was hoping and thinking Pop would do. There's no reason to play Vaughn early in the season. He's not going to get better with playing time. The Spurs might as well play Washington early and often and give him a shot to win the backup point guard spot.

Unlike Mahinmi, I don't think Washington has an automatic spot on the Toros with his name on it.

coopdogg3
11-01-2007, 01:25 AM
I can't believe Ime hasn't gotten some playing time. He was our "big" offseason acquisition.

timmy21_4rings
11-01-2007, 01:37 AM
I can't believe Ime hasn't gotten some playing time. He was our "big" offseason acquisition.

Still Ime and Scola has the same number of points. (Zero).

Ime played 0 minutes and Scola played 12 minutes.

No worries.. Ime is in Pop's theory school and move to practical session sooner than later!!!

Darkwaters
11-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Unlike Mahinmi, I don't think Washington has an automatic spot on the Toros with his name on it.

I hope you're right. It's hard to judge Washington based off of 22 nervous minutes. But all things considered, he looks nice. He showed decent vision and passing last night and can obviously hit the 3 at least once in a while. Hes intense and plays with as much heart as I've seen in a while. Right now, hes got a pretty high ceiling. But what I'm more interested in is what he can consistently give us once the mystique and hype wears off (as well as the nervousness and jitters). And acquiring that answer will simply take time. So, give it to him.

I completely agree as I'm just as frustrated. I think Ime could resolve a lot of defensive matchup problems with teams like Dallas. But I'd rather see how it works out before May and not have to make them on the fly in Game 3 of a 7 game series. So, in my opinion, we need to start to integrate him now. I almost wish Finley or Barry would get the flu for a night so we could see if Ime is all hype or is legit. I know he'll get his time eventually...I just wish they'd give us a teaser now to facilitate discussion. Besides, without our "Play James White!" threads and no "Cut Beno" threads what else can we talk about?

coopdogg3
11-01-2007, 01:41 AM
I just wish they'd give us a teaser now to facilitate discussion. Besides, without our "Play James White!" threads and no "Cut Beno" threads what else can we talk about?

Play Ian threads? :lol

timvp
11-01-2007, 01:49 AM
I'm not worried about Udoka at all. This is how I thought the season would start off. Most teams play a three-man rotation between their shooting guards and small forwards. The Spurs play a four-man rotation, already. Adding in Udoka would make that a five-man rotation ... and that just isn't practical. It wouldn't allow anyone to get into a rhythm with the 96 minutes getting split five ways.

Udoka's move up the rotation is going to take time. Pop will eventually give him time and if Udoka plays well, he could perhaps move ahead of Finley or Barry. It's a long season and Udoka will no doubt get his shot.

Think of it like Vaughn last year. Vaughn barely played for a good portion of the year but then when he got his shot, he took advantage of it and Pop gave him a spot in the rotation. Udoka is similar to Vaughn in that he's solid offensively and a hardworking defender -- which is a skillset that Pop likes. Once he gets his shot, he's going to get consistent playing time if he plays up to his capabilities.

Darkwaters
11-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Play Ian threads? :lol

We could do some "Play Ian" or "Bench Elson/Bonner/Horry for Ian" threads.

If Vaughn comes back as the backup I'm sure we'll have a season of "Bench Vaughn" or "Free Washington" threads.

Of course, if Washington gets the job and has some growing pains then we might get a few "Bring back Jacque" threads as well. But I wouldn't expect too many to be honest.

Until that 15th roster spot is filled then we'll probably have plenty of threads recommending we "Sign HIM NOW" for the flavor of the week. And once/if we do sign somebody it will probably be a wing. So I expect lots of "Play ____" threads for the new guy as well as some "Bench Finley" or "Trade Barry" ones.

Take your pick. :dramaquee

Dro210
11-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Memphis freeze-out:The Grizzlies poured cold water all over the Spurs' victory Wednesday — literally.

There was no hot water in the Spurs' locker room after the game, leading to quick showers and a handful of good-natured complaints.

The only Spur not grumbling: Matt Bonner.

"I'm from New Hampshire," he said. "It's not cold to me."

:lol

Bonner cracks me up

Spurs Brazil
11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/nov/01/washington-makes-return/

Washington makes return
By Marlon W. Morgan (Contact)
Quinta Feira, Novembro 1, 2007

Darius Washington always knew he would be play again at FedExForum.

Even when the doubters said he was crazy for leaving the University of Memphis after his sophomore season to enter the NBA draft. Even when he failed to get drafted.

Even when he was cut as an undrafted free agent last year by the Dallas Mavericks. Even as he toiled in Greece and the Czech Republic last winter. And even has he entered training camp with the world champion San Antonio Spurs this year, Washington knew he'd play someday in the NBA.

And he proved it this week, when on Monday he learned that he made the Spurs roster, and Tuesday night played his first NBA game at San Antonio's AT&T Center.

Then, as the Grizzlies played their home opener Wednesday night, Washington returned to FedExForum, just like he knew he would.

''I don't ever give up,'' Washington said, unfazed by the various setbacks he's faced in the last year. ''That's the good thing about me. I didn't get drafted, but that just made me work harder.''

Washington defied all odds during training camp. The Spurs returned all three point guards -- Tony Parker, Jacques Vaughn and Beno Udrih. But when Vaughn and Udrih became injured, Washington turned up his grit and determination. By Monday, the Spurs traded Udrih to Minnesota, which solidified his spot on the team.

''He's obviously still a work in progress, but he's certainly proved his competitiveness, his fearlessness and a real sense of the game,'' San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. ''Those things all attracted me. From there, we'll see what happens.''

In his debut as Parker's backup, Washington scored three points and had two assists and one rebound in 12 minutes. He followed that up with four points, two assists, one rebound and one steal against the Grizzlies.

With Vaughn still sidelined, Popovich has had noqualms about turning to his rookie to give Parker a blow.

''He showed the effort to understand the defensive end of the court and learn our system from that regard,'' Popovich said. ''That's why we kept him and now we'll see how it goes. If he can grow as a leader, as a defender, and understanding the system? I don't know the answer to those questions. That's why we're throwing him in the frying pan now. ... What, are we gonna wait until the 50th game? I might as well find out what he's made of now.

''If he comes through like Parker did, then we'll have a helluva player. If he stumbles, then we've got time to give him some more shots during the year, rather than have him sit there all year and then in March say go out there and show us what you've got.''

Washington entered the 2006 draft and failed to get selected. He was unsuccessful in his bid to make the Mavericks roster, leaving him to sign with PAOK Marfin Thessaloniki in the Greek League. In seven games, he averaged 11 points, three rebounds and 1.6 assists.

Washington said playing overseas was a good choice.

''That made me get back to the basics,'' he said. ''It was a learning experience, going away, not being seen for a while, clearing my mind, you're by yourself. You have to mature. I had to do what the Greeks do. If they were having fun, I was right with them. You might have seen me in the crowd. If they were going to the mall, whatever they were doing, I was right there. I had to adapt to the culture. It was a great learning experience at the same time.''

He also played for CEZ Basketball Nymberk of the Czech NBL League, where he averaged 12.8 points, 3.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 26 games before taking his chances with the Spurs.

Over the last year, it was the advice from several NBA players that kept Washington determined to reach his goal. He got calls from players like former Grizzly Chucky Atkins, his cousin, Vince Carter, Marquis Daniels and Darrell Armstrong. All but Carter were players who were undrafted, but eventually made it.

''There's been plenty of guys that have gotten cut, but that didn't stop them,'' Washington said. My cousin Chucky Atkins, he played for the Memphis Grizzlies. He didn't get into the NBA until he was like 25. He was one of the main one's calling me everyday, (telling me to) keep pushing, keep pushing.

''There was a lot of guys from my area (Orlando) that knew my situation and was in my shoes before and told me it's not the end of the world. They said now when you get in, you know that you deserved it and you worked hard to get into that position.''

Washington even opened the eyes of his teammates during training camp, quickly earning their respect.

''He was really tough all preseason and in training camp,'' Manu Ginobili said. ''You can tell by him earning a spot when nobody thought he would be able to. He earned his spot, he's playing good minutes, giving us good 10-15 minutes of quality time. He's helping us a lot. I'm very proud of what he accomplished.''

Tony Parker added, ''He's shown a lot of heart. He's playing hard, just hustling out there and playing hard defense. He's aggressive on offense. He's doing a good job.''

If Washington has his way, he still has plenty of more games to play at FedExForum.

''It's not over,'' he said. ''This is just the beginning of the book. Actually, I'm not even in the first chapter yet. Learning from guys like Jacques and Tony, it's a great experience. This is a veteran team. Who can really say they play on a championship team as a rookie and playing behind the MVP of the 2007 (NBA) champions?''

-- Marlon W. Morgan: 529-2792