PDA

View Full Version : Why no playing time for Ime Udoka?

tlongII
11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I thought he did well in preseason? I don't get it. The guy can play ball. I'm a fan of Ime's and I know he can help the Spurs. Is he injured?

ss1986v2
11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
nope, he is just behind manu, bowen, finley, and barry on the depth chart. hard to get playing time as the 5th swing guy.

ducks
11-01-2007, 10:52 AM
he has to beat out on of the other 4
can not divide playinging time into 5

hopefully if someone gets hurt he can take advantage

it would be nice to see him get some minutes soon though

tlongII
11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
nope, he is just behind manu, bowen, finley, and barry on the depth chart. hard to get playing time as the 5th swing guy.

Interesting. I think he's better than Barry.

ducks
11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
barry was hot in game 1

101A
11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Barry led the team in +/- last night (not the most reliable stat, just sayin):

+13

Taco
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
hopefully if someone gets hurt he can take advantage

I want to see what the guy can do also but..........HUH?!?!?!

Walter Craparita
11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Barry will start to suck soon enough.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
This is off topic, but when did Tlong get the sheep under his title? That's awesome!

As far as Udoka goes I think Pop's just riding Barry while he's got a hot hand. Pop loves to play Dr. Frankenstein with the rotations this time of year so Ime will get his shot soon enough.

ducks
11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I am not wanting to anyone to get hurt but I think on of them will get hurt in a course of a 82 games

BeerIsGood!
11-01-2007, 11:08 AM

At this point it doesn't matter if he's better than Barry or not. This is how Pop does things, he's making Udoka earn any PT he's going to get, and Udoka is going to have to earn it in practice for the near future. Pop wants to see what he has character-wise and how he handles not being in the rotation right now. Being the type of guy he seems to be, I'm sure he understands and is concentrating on learning the system and busting it in practice to earn minutes.

Taco
11-01-2007, 11:11 AM
I am not wanting to anyone to get hurt but I think on of them will get hurt in a course of a 82 games

ok let's call it a 48 hour flu :sleep

:lol

nkdlunch
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Spurs are having trouble blowing out teams, Udoka won't get in on close games.

whottt
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Barry or Finley'll get doghoused at some point...that's when his chance will come.

He hasn't exactly done anything to justify playing ahead of either of them...and Barry had the best training camp of the 3.

whottt
11-01-2007, 11:13 AM

In training camp he wasn't....and neither was Finley.

LEN BIAS 4EVER
11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I would imagine he will be worked in slowly throughout the season. They have only played 2 games so far, it's still early.

I am curious has to see if he gets playing time when we face teams with multiple outside scoring threats like a Phoenix with Marion and Nash or Denver with AI and Melo. Let Bowen take one of them and stick Ime on the other. I want to see if we will use a 2 defensive stopper look this season at some point.

Fabbs
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Finley'll get doghoused at some point...
He will?

whottt
11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
He will?

Doghoused maybe isn't the best word for Finley...but if he sucks like he did most of last season he'll lose PT...like he did last season. Won't matter how much Pop likes him personally either.

Fabbs
11-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Doghoused maybe isn't the best word for Finley...but if he sucks like he did most of last season he'll lose PT...like he did last season. Won't matter how much Pop likes him personally either.
He sucked most of season but was not doghoused until 3/4ths of the season.
It's all forgiven with that Playoffs performance, but point being while everyone else is dogged for not playing well, Fins gets a pass. Or at least always has so far.

barbacoataco
11-01-2007, 03:25 PM
The Spurs are maybe looking at Udoka as more of a factor in 2009 after Barry and/or Finley are gone. But a time may come when the Spurs could really use Udoka's defense. My question is-- If Udoka isn't going to play, is there a chance he goes on the IR so that Vaughn and Washington could both be active?

BacktoBasics
11-01-2007, 03:43 PM
but but but this guy is our savior.

2centsworth
11-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Ime will get chance eventually to show what he's got. If he goes balls out then he has a chance to get more time. If not, he will ride the bench and be a just in case player.

spurster
11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Maybe the Spurs don't want Udoka and Darius on the floor at the same time. That would be too many players not knowing the system.

bdictjames
11-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Spurs didn't pay him big money to be sidelined in the season and only come out in garbage minutes.

We'll just see.. maybe Pop decides to give Bowen some rest and put Ime for the rest of the game.

worm9110
11-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I was very surpised not to see Ime is action against his former team...I went to the Spurs-Warriors pre season game and really liked what Ime showed on both sides of the ball. I still feel maybe we should trade Barry...

E20
11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
It would be silly to think Ime would suddenly just start playing and getting back up minutes over Barry or Finley. Just because he thrived defensively in Portland doesn't mean it'll be the same with the Spurs. He's still probably learning what Spurs D is all about and his role on the team. I've seen Bruce and Ime sitting next to each other at times, looks like Bruce is trying to mentor him and get him ready for when he gets the chance to play.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Spurs didn't pay him big money to be sidelined in the season and only come out in garbage minutes.

We'll just see.. maybe Pop decides to give Bowen some rest and put Ime for the rest of the game.

Spurs didn't pay him "big money" in any case - 2mil for 2 years!

Ime will get his chance, there's no rush.

anjlbitz
11-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Uh. What big money?

Tippecanoe
11-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Uh. What big money?

well, technically, 2 mil is a lotta money :lol

ducks
11-02-2007, 09:39 PM
bumb

djohn14
11-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Well he is having a great game tonight

Spurs Brazil
11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Maybe Ime will get more minutes now but if it happens DW will be out of rotation just like 1st half today

Trainwreck2100
11-02-2007, 09:55 PM
They turned the ball over 19 times

tlongII
11-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Nice to see Ime finally get a few minutes. I really believe he is the Spurs best swing player.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Nice to see Ime finally get a few minutes. I really believe he is the Spurs best swing player.
I wouldn't say that now, but let me tell you he is one great player.

slayermin
11-02-2007, 10:02 PM
He scored those points tonight so easily, I was shocked at his total.

T Park
11-02-2007, 10:05 PM
I really believe he is the Spurs best swing player.

I'll say second.

behind Manu.

nfg3
11-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Nice game for Ime. I liked how he seemed to blend in with the others. This will create a tough situation for Pop if all the players are contributing consistently. Who gets the minutes?

TheAuthority
11-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Fuck Udoka. I was way more impressed with Ian than him. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but you can see the potential there. Something Udoka has none left of.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Fuck Udoka. I was way more impressed with Ian than him. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but you can see the potential there. Something Udoka has none left of.
:drunk :drunk :drunk

thothmela
11-03-2007, 11:26 AM
how was his defense last night?

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-03-2007, 12:13 PM

You should have saved yourself all that posting and just said that you don't know shit about basketball.

TheAuthority
11-04-2007, 06:07 AM
You should have saved yourself all that posting and just said that you don't know shit about basketball.

I know more than your boy R.C. Buford. That's for sure. The guy's got Tim Duncan on his team and the only scrub he can bring in is Udoka? Good going. Stellar job, man.

How about bringing in some real talent that isn't 30-years-old and mediocre at best? How about getting rid of Horry's washed-up ass? Just look at what Bonner's doing. I've been saying it since Bonner got here. Bonner >> Horry. Horry's done. He's finished. Let's get an NBA player out on the court.

While I'm at it, how about not trading the best player in Europe to a team in your own division, simply to save money... especially when one of the best players on your team is his good friend, and thinks he could have helped them immensely... not to mention the chemistry he already has with Fabricio as well.

I love how this clown R.C. tries to play it like he's this real great guy, because he let him have his chance in the NBA. Fuck that, that's just the spin he put on it, and all these morons believe it blindly. You did it to save money, there's nothing else; no other reason. And, like a moron, you traded him in the division, to a team that is one of the west powers, to a team that needed a power forward. Cheers, R.C.. You douche bag. No need to worry, fan boys like Aggie will continue to figuratively suck you off.

TheAuthority
11-04-2007, 06:10 AM
how was his defense last night?

He has cement in his shoes. I hope he has something impairing his lateral mobility... some sort of injury... something... if he's getting blown by, by Quincy Douby.

Buddy Holly
11-04-2007, 06:55 AM
I know more than your boy R.C. Buford. That's for sure. The guy's got Tim Duncan on his team and the only scrub he can bring in is Udoka? Good going. Stellar job, man.

How about bringing in some real talent that isn't 30-years-old and mediocre at best? How about getting rid of Horry's washed-up ass? Just look at what Bonner's doing. I've been saying it since Bonner got here. Bonner >> Horry. Horry's done. He's finished. Let's get an NBA player out on the court.

While I'm at it, how about not trading the best player in Europe to a team in your own division, simply to save money... especially when one of the best players on your team is his good friend, and thinks he could have helped them immensely... not to mention the chemistry he already has with Fabricio as well.

I love how this clown R.C. tries to play it like he's this real great guy, because he let him have his chance in the NBA. Fuck that, that's just the spin he put on it, and all these morons believe it blindly. You did it to save money, there's nothing else; no other reason. And, like a moron, you traded him in the division, to a team that is one of the west powers, to a team that needed a power forward. Cheers, R.C.. You douche bag. No need to worry, fan boys like Aggie will continue to figuratively suck you off.

So you don't know shit about basketball. Awful lot of typing when that point could have been made quicker.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I know more than your boy R.C. Buford. That's for sure.
:lmao That's all I needed to know.

exstatic
11-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I did a double take when Ime and Tony ran the Manu/Beno dive play, and laughed out loud. The PG brings the ball across half court, and passes to the wing at the 3 point circle extended, left. He then dives immediately to the hoop and receives a one bounce pass from the wing player about 25 feet away for an easy layup. It must be an option play, and they look for certain keys on the PG defender, because that fucker works like 85% of the time.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I love how this clown R.C. tries to play it like he's this real great guy, because he let him have his chance in the NBA.You are mistaken. That's the way Scola portrayed it.

TheAuthority
11-05-2007, 04:39 AM
You are mistaken. That's the way Scola portrayed it.

Even if it was true, it's a fuckin boneheaded move. There's no getting around it.

TheAuthority
11-05-2007, 04:41 AM
So you don't know shit about basketball. Awful lot of typing when that point could have been made quicker.

Start bringing some substance, or try to refute anything I'm saying. It's real easy to say "dude, you don't know anything about basketball!!!". Bring a little more than that. This isn't a 4th grade debate here. I was assuming the people on this board would be of age. Maybe I was mistaken. Rookie.

MoSpur
11-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I loved the way Ime played against the Kings. I was very impressed more with his offense than his defense.

Indazone
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
He's Steve Francis on the Spurs squad

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Even if it was true, it's a fuckin boneheaded move. There's no getting around it.
The guy played only 20 minutes in his very first game with the Spurs and gets 14 and 6. Yea, fuck Udoka. :donkey

mardigan
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Start bringing some substance, or try to refute anything I'm saying. It's real easy to say "dude, you don't know anything about basketball!!!". Bring a little more than that. This isn't a 4th grade debate here. I was assuming the people on this board would be of age. Maybe I was mistaken. Rookie.
Its pretty obvious the Spurs have done a horrible job with front office moves the last ohh, I dont know, 5 years or so. Why even try to respond to "the Authority" when it's obvious from the results the Spurs haven't done a good job at personal moves, your just telling it like it is. Maybe after the Spurs get their shit together and bring in some real talent to put around Tim, they can contend, but until then, the Spurs will continue to be who we thought they were. I wish they would do things like re-sign players or give extensions, but I guess I root for the wrong team for that to happen. I mean, what were they doing trading Beno? It must have brought the Spurs average age up immensely, and evreyone knows the Spurs are too old to win. Should have just cut Horry and kept Beno. :rolleyes

BeerIsGood!
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
The Spurs had a very good offseason as far as I'm concerned. They dropped the dead weight of Beno, Butler, and the other big man who's name right now eludes me... and picked up Ime (14,6 in first game), Washington (already showing signs of contributing early in season), and Mahinmi (nice project with tools and a good disposition for future).

The Spurs kept the 12 guys who really played a role in dominating the playoffs, shed the dead weight, and picked up young and hungry guys who look promising. They are much leaner and meaner this season as compared to last.

TheAuthority
11-06-2007, 05:57 AM
I mean, what were they doing trading Beno? It must have brought the Spurs average age up immensely, and evreyone knows the Spurs are too old to win. Should have just cut Horry and kept Beno. :rolleyes

I'd take Beno over Horry. I would take just about anybody in the league over Horry. The guy is finished. He has been for awhile now.

As far as your contention that R.C. Buford is the one that made the Spurs into contenders, that is bullshit. Duncan is the reason they're contenders. They don't make it out of the first round without Duncan. They might not even make the playoffs. The biggest move the guy has made was to bring in Michael Finley, a guy who is over-the-hump. He isn't done, but he sure as hell isn't a star anymore, either. How long have the Spurs needed a long athletic player on the team? Just about as long as I can remember. Has that need ever been addressed? No. Instead, they bring in 6'4" Ime Udoka. Ime-freaking-Udoka. Granted, he is a bargain at the price they got him at, I'll concede that, but at the same time... the guy is mediocre... AT BEST. Do I really even need to bring up Scola or Barbosa?

xcoriate
11-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey Authority, what's your view on Bowen?

:stirpot:

mystargtr34
11-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Authority....were u the same authority that was the main man during the Duncan>Hakeem thread?? You were one of my favourite posters but ur slippin... Udoka was a steal for 1mil/year...

anakha
11-06-2007, 07:48 AM
TheAuthority = Spurs Dynasty 21 alternick?

The resemblance is uncanny, down to the Duncan jocking. All that's missing are a couple of dozen Scola-worshipping threads. :lol

TheAuthority
11-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey Authority, what's your view on Bowen?

:stirpot:

I like Bowen. He doesn't demand too much money, even though he might be able to get it. He knows his role and plays it well. He hasn't missed a game in... I don't know how long. He plays hard every night, regardless of the opponent. Sometimes he doesn't hit his jumper, and he has no real skill offensively, but he isn't asked to be a playmaker. He is pretty much a perfect role player. Nothing more, nothing less.

TheAuthority
11-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Authority....were u the same authority that was the main man during the Duncan>Hakeem thread?? You were one of my favourite posters but ur slippin... Udoka was a steal for 1mil/year...

I'm not mad at Udoka @ 1 mil/year. I'm mad he's the best they can come up with. I'd rather have Scola. I understand they don't play the same position, but I don't care. Udoka is a mediocre player with no potential left.

Buford's going to make or break himself in my eyes this offseason, when Horry/Finley/Barry/Elson are off the cap.

some_user86
11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Screw Scola. He doesn't do anything Oberto doesn't do. In fact, his game is worse. Scola does not and will not (now that he is with Adelman) play defense.

Tim doesn't need a power forward who can't stretch opposing defenses. In fact, last night highlighted how much Tim needs a power forward in the mold of Horry. Even though he is more like Horry, Bonner went MIA when push came to shove. Scola wouldn't be able to help either in this situation. We really, really missed Horry out there tonight.

yavozerb
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Damn, its like we just lost a playoff series or something around here...Not even sure whey scola's name is in this thread but he is an average NBA PF at best and would not have made the spurs any better this or for years to come. Ime's PT will increase cause we have plenty of scoring and barry's defense is pretty awfull. Its one loss to a top 5 team at their house, not a bad loss...