PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy's not for amateurs

Yonivore
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Let’s see, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the San Francisco treat, ticked off Turkey by dredging up the Armenian genocide that happened more than 80 years ago. Pissing off a key ally in the war on terrorism is dumber than dirt. And dangerous. 70% of our troop supplies in Iraq pass through Turkey. House members balked and she had to eat her resolution.

Enter Democrat Robert C. Byrd, West Virginia’s Constitution-waving senator. He and Republican Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon introduced Senate Resolution 358, which praises Turkey to no end as an ally, as a democracy and as “a strong example of a predominantly Muslim country with a true representative democratic government.”

Who could argue with that? Well, I'll tell you who...

The American Hellenic Institute and the Armenian National Committee. The AHI site noted: “The American Hellenic Institute, Inc. was founded on August 1, 1974, following Turkey’s invasion of Cyprus with the illegal use of American-supplied arms in violation of U.S. laws and agreements.”

In a joint statement, the groups said: “The resolution introduced by Senators Smith and Byrd neither serves U.S. interests nor advances American values by sugarcoating Turkey’s record or by ignoring serious tensions in the U.S.-Turkey bilateral relationship.

“Any legislation that the Congress considers on this issue should clearly and prominently address Turkey’s threats to invade and destabilize northern Iraq, its immoral and heavy-handed threats against the recognition of the Armenian Genocide, military occupation of Cyprus, continued airspace violations of Greek-sovereign airspace over the Aegean, blockade of Armenia, mistreatment of the Kurds, and restrictions on the religious freedom of the Ecumenical Patriarch and other Christian leaders.”

Byrd might try reading that Constitution he carries in his pocket. It says presidents, not congressmen, make foreign policy. I recommend it to Pelosi, Reid, Murtha, Durbin, and all the other Globetrotting, dictator-hugging, Democrats as well...Not to mention the idiots in this forum who think Congress should be playing around with foreign policy and military command.

In embracing one ally, Byrd ticked off two. Makes one appreciate Bush’s ability to maintain as allies Pakistan and India.

Or for that matter, Greece and Turkey.

Byrd should stick to what he knows best: Getting his name on buildings.

The press release (with Byrd’s resolution) is here (http://www.ahiworld.com/press_releases/103007.html).

George Gervin's Afro
11-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Let’s see, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the San Francisco treat, ticked off Turkey by dredging up the Armenian genocide that happened more than 80 years ago. Pissing off a key ally in the war on terrorism is dumber than dirt. And dangerous. 70% of our troop supplies in Iraq pass through Turkey. House members balked and she had to eat her resolution.

Enter Democrat Robert C. Byrd, West Virginia’s Constitution-waving senator. He and Republican Sen. Gordon Smith of Oregon introduced Senate Resolution 358, which praises Turkey to no end as an ally, as a democracy and as “a strong example of a predominantly Muslim country with a true representative democratic government.”

Who could argue with that? Well, I'll tell you who...

The American Hellenic Institute and the Armenian National Committee. The AHI site noted: “The American Hellenic Institute, Inc. was founded on August 1, 1974, following Turkey’s invasion of Cyprus with the illegal use of American-supplied arms in violation of U.S. laws and agreements.”

In a joint statement, the groups said: “The resolution introduced by Senators Smith and Byrd neither serves U.S. interests nor advances American values by sugarcoating Turkey’s record or by ignoring serious tensions in the U.S.-Turkey bilateral relationship.

“Any legislation that the Congress considers on this issue should clearly and prominently address Turkey’s threats to invade and destabilize northern Iraq, its immoral and heavy-handed threats against the recognition of the Armenian Genocide, military occupation of Cyprus, continued airspace violations of Greek-sovereign airspace over the Aegean, blockade of Armenia, mistreatment of the Kurds, and restrictions on the religious freedom of the Ecumenical Patriarch and other Christian leaders.”

Byrd might try reading that Constitution he carries in his pocket. It says presidents, not congressmen, make foreign policy. I recommend it to Pelosi, Reid, Murtha, Durbin, and all the other Globetrotting, dictator-hugging, Democrats as well...Not to mention the idiots in this forum who think Congress should be playing around with foreign policy and military command.

In embracing one ally, Byrd ticked off two. Makes one appreciate Bush’s ability to maintain as allies Pakistan and India.

Or for that matter, Greece and Turkey.

Byrd should stick to what he knows best: Getting his name on buildings.

The press release (with Byrd’s resolution) is here (http://www.ahiworld.com/press_releases/103007.html).

post war planning isn't either.

101A
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
post war planning isn't either.Translation:

"I'm perfectly OK with whatever Democrats do, because I really dislike the President. I am going to cover my ears with my head in the sand, and never look at ANYTHING a Democrat does (or at least admit to it), as being anything other than 100% completely above board, lest my Bush-hating credentials be questioned."

Is it this mindset that led you to call me a "middle of the roader" yesterday?

The fact that I might actually criticize a Republican once in a while invalidates me as a Conservative?

And I thought D.C. was partisan.

George Gervin's Afro
11-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Translation:

"I'm perfectly OK with whatever Democrats do, because I really dislike the President. I am going to cover my ears with my head in the sand, and never look at ANYTHING a Democrat does (or at least admit to it), as being anything other than 100% completely above board, lest my Bush-hating credentials be questioned."

Is it this mindset that led you to call me a "middle of the roader" yesterday?

The fact that I might actually criticize a Republican once in a while invalidates me as a Conservative?

And I thought D.C. was partisan.

well you can eaisly review my history in posting here and I have on numerous occasions bashed democrats. in fact i am leaning on becoming an independant because harry reid and nancy pelosi have sqaundered a golden opportunity to show the country the dems can lead. i think they have failed miserably. i do lean left but i am not a moveon.org type person. when i don't blindly follow bush on something i am accused of being a loon. i don't like bush but that doesn't mean i hate republicans.

101A
11-01-2007, 02:36 PM
well you can eaisly review my history in posting here and I have on numerous occasions bashed democrats. in fact i am leaning on becoming an independant because harry reid and nancy pelosi have sqaundered a golden opportunity to show the country the dems can lead. i think they have failed miserably. i do lean left but i am not a moveon.org type person. when i don't blindly follow bush on something i am accused of being a loon. i don't like bush but that doesn't mean i hate republicans.Fair enough.

Disregard the knee jerk reaction.

Snide, appropriate, Bush jab accepted in context.

"They all suck"; now that's a slogan I can get on board with.

xrayzebra
11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
well you can eaisly review my history in posting here and I have on numerous occasions bashed democrats. in fact i am leaning on becoming an independant because harry reid and nancy pelosi have sqaundered a golden opportunity to show the country the dems can lead. i think they have failed miserably. i do lean left but i am not a moveon.org type person. when i don't blindly follow bush on something i am accused of being a loon. i don't like bush but that doesn't mean i hate republicans.

GGA, you will never become an independent. You are
the epitome of a dimm-o-crap liberal. Which means you
like to consider yourself an independent.
:lol

George Gervin's Afro
11-01-2007, 03:25 PM
GGA, you will never become an independent. You are
the epitome of a dimm-o-crap liberal. Which means you
like to consider yourself an independent.
:lol

ray you are the ionly blind follower here ray.. speaking of that how are you going to survive without hush today?

Nbadan
11-01-2007, 04:46 PM

The only institutes this administration listens to is the Heritage Foundation and AIPAC

:rolleyes

Nbadan
11-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Speaking of the Heritage Foundation....

WASHINGTON - President Bush compared Congress' Democratic leaders Thursday with people who ignored the rise of Lenin and Hitler early in the last century, saying "the world paid a terrible price" then and risks similar consequences for inaction today.

Bush accused Congress of stalling important pieces of the fight to prevent new terrorist attacks by: dragging out and possibly jeopardizing confirmation of Michael Mukasey as attorney general, a key part of his national security team; failing to act on a bill governing eavesdropping on terrorist suspects; and moving too slowly to approve spending measures for the Iraq war, Pentagon and veterans programs.

"Unfortunately, on too many issues, some in Congress are behaving as if America is not at war," Bush said during a speech at the Heritage Foundation. "This is no time for Congress to weaken the Department of Justice by denying it a strong and effective leader. ... It's no time for Congress to weaken our ability to intercept information from terrorists about potential attacks on the United States of America. And this is no time for Congress to hold back vital funding for our troops as they fight al-Qaida terrorists and radicals in Afghanistan and Iraq."

Bush's remarks were his second in two days alleging inaction on Capitol Hill, which has been led by Democrats since January. This speech focused on measures related to the war on terror, while Wednesday's emphasized disputes between the White House and Congress over domestic issues.

Yahooooooooo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071101/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_1)

Dubya thinks he is allowed to declare "war". WRONG. As usual...

...the real problem here is that the world IS paying attention to the threat and that threat is - George W Bush.

Wild Cobra
11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
So, is it you belief that a war doesn't exist unless it's been declared? Are we suppose to, like an ostrich, stick our heads in the sand and hope we don't have to defend ourselves until congress makes the formal declaration? I guess if we cannot see them, they cannot hurt us?

That's only a formality, and not a requirement. Can you site me any words in the constitution that state a war must be declared to fight in one?

The best defense is a good offense. We could do better, but politics is always in the way.

clambake
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM
The best defense is a good offense. We could do better, but politics is always in the way.
more BS. bush has always had his way. guess again.