PDA

View Full Version : Chances Spurs can go after Okafor in the future?

Walter Craparita
11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Okafor will be free agent in July after no new NBA deal
AFP
November 1, 2007

CHARLOTTE, United States (AFP) - Emeka Okafor will become a National Basketball Association free agent in July after refusing to sign a contract extension with the Charlotte Bobcats.

The son of Nigerian parents let pass a Wednesday deadline for signing a new deal, meaning the number two pick selection of the 2004 NBA Draft and most notable player in the history of the three-year-old expansion squad is likely to leave.

"Player contracts are very difficult to get done when there's no posturing," said Bernie Bickerstaff the Bobcats executive vice president of basketball operations.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Our offer was commensurate with our respect for Emeka as a basketball player, his overall character and what he brings to the Charlotte community. We both had different ideas on economic value, but we both agree that neither were insulting."

The Bobcats could match any rival club's offer to keep Okafor next year but he could also sign a one-year deal with Charlotte at 7.082 million dollars and become an unrestricted free agent in 2009.

Okafor, 25, has averaged 14.5 points, 10.9 rebounds and 2.0 blocks a game over three seasons with the Bobcats but has been nagged by back and leg injuries.http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkDDL54SVMnnvfTBXSeGrfykvLYF?slug=afp-basketnbabobcatsokafor&prov=afp&type=lgns

Steve-O-Matic
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Not likely, IMO. The Spurs are investing the future of their frontline (next to Tim Duncan) in Tiago Splitter and Ian Mahinmi.

SsKSpurs21
11-01-2007, 06:27 PM
would make an awesome defensive front court with tim, but then what do we do with tiago splitter...plus i think okafor will be too pricey.

Darkwaters
11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm sure he'll be restricted. Charlotte will most likely match if he tries to walk. But I'd love to have him.

jay014
11-01-2007, 06:41 PM
would make an awesome defensive front court with tim, but then what do we do with tiago splitter
Trade him to Dallas for a guy that wants to play overseas.

thekingrobert
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
that guy from the waist down is like wet toilet paper

Russ
11-01-2007, 07:26 PM
He grew up in Houston. The Rockets may try for an international twin towers.

ThomasGranger
11-01-2007, 07:35 PM
The number one priority for the Spurs is to find somebody who can play Bruce's position i.e. a long small forward.

AFBlue
11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
The number one priority for the Spurs is to find somebody who can play Bruce's position i.e. a long small forward.

Completely disagree....

Right now the only position that is manned by two individuals without one playing the majority of the time is the Center position. Neither Oberto or Elson are worthy and/or capable of averaging 30 minutes per game and that needs to be remedied.

I fully expect Splitter to be able to fill that role of THE legitimate Center in the future....but that probably won't take place for at least two years.

I'm not advocating for the Spurs to go out in 2008/9 (assuming he doesn't sign an extension next year and the Spurs have cap space) and sign Okafor, but I just disagree that finding a replacement for Bowen should be priority #1.

For one, Bowen is still under contract for the next two years and I could see him playing through 2009. Secondly, the Spurs have Udoka under contract for a couple years. Assuming Udoka can fill the starting spot, all that will be needed is to find him a suitable, relatively inexpensive backup.

How about Ryan Gomes?

Bottom Line: Okafor may not be the answer, but there is definitely a problem at the Center position.

The answer to your question....is Ryan Gomes.

phxspurfan
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
2009 Justin Williams > 2009 Emeka Okafor