PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Pelosi: "I don't approve of Congress and...

Yonivore
11-01-2007, 09:26 PM
...I'm very proud of what we have done."

It's become farcical; only 11% of Americans approve of the way Congress is doing its job.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi isn’t part of that 11%. But she is.

She told Charles Babington of the AP: “I know that Congress has low approval ratings. I don’t approve of Congress, because we haven’t done anything that — we haven’t been effective in ending the war in Iraq. And if you asked me in a phone call, as ardent a Democrat as I am, I would disapprove of Congress as well.”

And yet this woman also said: “I’m very proud of what we have done.”

Give that woman a Bart Simpson T-shirt. You know, the one that says, “Underachiever and proud of it.”

After 10 months of leading the House she has nothing to show for it except for the lowest approval ratings ever — not even half the 24% that Bush enjoys according to the same poll.

Pelosi promised to accoimplish more than Newt Gingrich did within her first 100 hours of taking office.

She failed. She failed miserably.

Congress cannot even pass a simple expansion of the SCHIP program — one that even Goerge W. Bush wants. There is not one Republican who does not want to expand SCHIP.

Yet Pelosi cannot expand it.

Incompetent.

Here is the entire AP report (http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-congress-pelosi,0,3011732.story):

WASHINGTON - Add House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to the list of Americans who think Congress is doing a lousy job.

Hours after touting the Democratic-controlled Congress’ achievements at a ceremony on the Capitol steps Thursday, Pelosi confessed that she would give the legislative body low marks if a pollster asked her.

“I know that Congress has low approval ratings,” Pelosi, D-Calif., said at her weekly news conference. “I don’t approve of Congress, because we haven’t done anything that — we haven’t been effective in ending the war in Iraq. And if you asked me in a phone call, as ardent a Democrat as I am, I would disapprove of Congress as well.”

Not surprisingly, Pelosi said President Bush and his Republican allies are mostly to blame. She noted that Bush has vetoed Democratic-led efforts to wind down the war, expand a children’s health program and broaden stem cell research.

In the October AP-Ipsos poll, Americans gave Congress a 22 percent approval rating, the lowest score since the poll began in late 2003.

Pelosi, who became speaker in January, found some rays of sunlight among the clouds. She cited a new Pew Research Center survey in which 44 percent of those polled said the Democratic Party can better manage the federal government, while 32 percent chose the Republican Party.

“I’m very proud of what we have done,” Pelosi said. The key to boosting her party’s image, she said, is “to get through the fog of war, because there is no question that the war in Iraq has eclipsed much of what we have done.”
Her real problem is she thinks it is all Democrats vs. Republicans. It is not. At some point Democrats have to do something. Under her leadership, they cannot even pass a budget that is only a month late.

Pathetic. I'm beginning to wonder if Bush Derangement Syndrome will give way to a Democratic base that is finally disgusted with their own do-nothing party.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 02:28 AM
It's become farcical; only 11% of Americans approve of the way Congress is doing its job.

In the October AP-Ipsos poll, Americans gave Congress a 22 percent approval rating

11 is the new 22.

Trainwreck2100
11-02-2007, 03:32 AM
11 is the new 22.

11 for the House, 11 for the Senate, Duh.