PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Spurs let Scola go?

tlongII
11-01-2007, 09:49 PM
That decision is seeming dumber and dumber by the minute to me. I just don't get it. It's not like the Spurs already have a decent power forward.

sa_kid20
11-01-2007, 09:50 PM
:dramaquee

ducks
11-01-2007, 09:51 PM
That decision is seeming dumber and dumber by the minute to me. I just don't get it. It's not like the Spurs already have a decent power forward.do you really think he would beat out duncan

ducks
11-01-2007, 09:51 PM
booner>scola

tlongII
11-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Duncan is a center. Of course I'm assuming you all know that.

MrChug
11-01-2007, 09:54 PM
^^^Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........THAT'S why he's going down as the best forward ever!

Doy!

slayermin
11-01-2007, 09:54 PM
It probably came down to choosing between Oberto and Scola. I'm happy to have Oberto back as a Spur.

ducks
11-01-2007, 09:56 PM
scola and duncan shot from the same spot they can not both be on the court at one time

scola is a waste for the spurs so they got rid of him

had scola been able to shot at a differerent spot they could keep him

tlongII
11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
scola and duncan shot from the same spot they can not both be on the court at one time

scola is a waste for the spurs so they got rid of him

had scola been able to shot at a differerent spot they could keep him

That makes no sense whatsoever. Players don't shoot from only one spot.

some_user86
11-01-2007, 10:23 PM
They generally occupy the same zones. So if there are two players that work in the same areas, it makes it easier for team defenses to put more focus on those areas. This effectively makes it harder for both players. That's why Duncan needs a power forward who has both an inside/outside game like Horry or Bonner have and which Scola does not have. Also, Spurs defense hinges on the bigs being able to rebound and shot block, which Scola again does not do. When Duncan does have a center with him (and he operates as a power forward), he needs someone who he can force feed out of double/triple teams, which Oberto does just fine. Scola just would not be a good fit in the Spurs system as it is currently constituted (around Duncan).

ducks
11-01-2007, 10:29 PM
They generally occupy the same zones. So if there are two players that work in the same areas, it makes it easier for team defenses to put more focus on those areas. This effectively makes it harder for both players. That's why Duncan needs a power forward who has both an inside/outside game like Horry or Bonner have and which Scola does not have. Also, Spurs defense hinges on the bigs being able to rebound and shot block, which Scola again does not do. When Duncan does have a center with him (and he operates as a power forward), he needs someone who he can force feed out of double/triple teams, which Oberto does just fine. Scola just would not be a good fit in the Spurs system as it is currently constituted (around Duncan).
thank you

K-State Spur
11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
That makes no sense whatsoever. Players don't shoot from only one spot.

where they post and the space they occupy in offensive sets (when each is at his most effective) overlap and coincide.

watch a game closely, there are rarely two post players fighting for low post position at the same time.

scola loses most of his effectiveness when you move him farther out from the hoop. duncan can still do some things at 15-18 feet, but that's not where he's at his best.

having both on the court at the same time is redundant.

tlongII
11-01-2007, 10:37 PM
You guys can keep telling yourselves that, but it is ridiculous. Duncan just needs a running mate who doesn't demand the ball. Scola would fit perfectly with him.

Walter Craparita
11-01-2007, 10:40 PM
where they post and the space they occupy in offensive sets (when each is at his most effective) overlap and coincide.

watch a game closely, there are rarely two post players fighting for low post position at the same time.

scola loses most of his effectiveness when you move him farther out from the hoop. duncan can still do some things at 15-18 feet, but that's not where he's at his best.

having both on the court at the same time is redundant.

He made plenty of outside shots in the FIBA games.

some_user86
11-01-2007, 10:41 PM
You guys can keep telling yourselves that, but it is ridiculous. Duncan just needs a running mate who doesn't demand the ball. Scola would fit perfectly with him.

As does Oberto and Bonner and Elson and Horry...

Our frontcourt depth is fine. I am not worried. I think Oberto will play with some mediocrity until the playoffs (he picked something from Horry).

some_user86
11-01-2007, 10:42 PM

FIBA's three pt line is several feet more to the inside compared to the NBA's line.

ducks
to bad the fiba games are not the nba games

Walter Craparita
Oh my bad, the basket is at a different height? Last time I checked, a 15 ft shot is a 15 foot shot.

TheZackAttack!

Either way, the Spurs are still winning the whole fucking thing again.

ducks
11-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh my bad, the basket is at a different height? Last time I checked, a 15 ft shot is a 15 foot shot.
last time I checked they had different rules in that league

K-State Spur
11-01-2007, 11:30 PM

he may not demand the ball, but when he doesn't haven't the ball in his hands, exactly what is he doing for you? drawing defenders outside, rebounding, passing?

this team is put together very carefully. it's not the best 13-15 players you can find (that's been the blazer approach in the past), it's the best 13-15 guys who fit together for what Pop is looking for.

Ideally, there may have been a place for Scola in that group, but that doesn't change that many of his skills are redundant with this group.

The Spurs may regret letting him go for nothing more than cap relief, that remains to be seen. But he's still far from the perfect player next to Duncan - contrary to what some in the media, Argentina, and misinformed fans may think.

Deimosfobos
11-01-2007, 11:51 PM
booner>scola

lol :rolleyes

Indazone
11-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Rockets vs Jazz

Scola 7 pts, 9 rebs, 1 ast, 1 stl, 3 PFs. in 28.48 mins.

Yeah go SCOLA!!! HE BELONGS!! :hungry:

ShoogarBear
11-02-2007, 02:13 AM
They needed to keep the cap space open for when Oden becomes a free agent.

timvp
11-02-2007, 02:20 AM
They wanted to give Spurs fans something to complain about before shipping off Beno.

timvp
11-02-2007, 05:57 AM
They wanted to give Spurs fans something to complain about before shipping off Beno.Or the Spurs wanted to gift the Rockets a guy who was a +18 in his second NBA game.

:pctoss

urunobili
11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Or the Spurs wanted to gift the Rockets a guy who was a +18 in his second NBA game.

shit... against a fast paced team he may not even see PT... but against bully teams like the jazz that play really PHYSICAL... HE MAY BE THE DIFFERENCE TO WIN BALL GAMES FOR THEM

sandman
11-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Or the Spurs wanted to gift the Rockets a guy who was a +18 in his second NBA game.

I'd like to recommend a book for you to read:

Letting Go: How to Get Past Your Past by John Farley

MoSpur
11-02-2007, 10:32 AM

:lmao

whottt
11-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Shit...Scola's a scorer who's about as polished as he's going to get and he's scored 7 points total in 2 games. Fire Pop.

Brent Barry has outscored him.

His rebounding has been better than expected...but I'd hardly say you can qualify him as a good rebounder yet...unless you are willing to aslo qualify him as a crappy scorer.

In short...he's done nothing yet. You guys act like we traded Kevin Durant or something.

Jimcs50
11-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Shit...Scola's a scorer who's about as polished as he's going to get and he's scored 7 points total in 2 games. Fire Pop.

Brent Barry has outscored him.

His rebounding has been better than expected...but I'd hardly say you can qualify him as a good rebounder yet...unless you are willing to aslo qualify him as a crappy scorer.

In short...he's done nothing yet. You guys act like we traded Kevin Durant or something.

numbnuts...he had 7 pts in his 2nd game on 3-6 shooting and last night also had 9 rebs in only 28 mins.

He will take a few weeks-months to get acclimated to the NBA, but there is no doubt that the Spurs made a huge error, because he will be a very very good player who would have filled the role of Elson- Oberto-Horry quite well by playoff time.

mardigan
11-02-2007, 10:42 AM
numbnuts...he had 7 pts in his 2nd game on 3-6 shooting and last night also had 9 rebs in only 28 mins.

He will take a few weeks-months to get acclimated to the NBA, but there is no doubt that the Spurs made a huge error, because he will be a very very good player who would have filled the role of Elson- Oberto-Horry quite well by playoff time.
Its only an error in the eyes of some Spurs fans, so its not as you say"no doubt" that the Spurs made an error. if they didnt feel they had a need for him, they didnt feel like they had a need. Besides, Bonner is doing pretty well and spaces the floor better than Scola could ever dream.

Rummpd
11-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Of note, they drafted Splitter who when he comes in next year will be quite likely the player Scola is but bigger. Keep the faith.

whottt
11-02-2007, 11:06 AM

So?

James White scored 9 points and grabbed 3 rebounds in his first game.

And the NBA will take a few weeks-months to get acclimated to his extremely polished moveset, and then kick his ass with bigger, faster, and superior players.

He'll be viewed as a big mistake in the same way Gordan Giricek is now viewed as a big mistake.

Steve Francis' #1 fan has no room to be sticking labels like numbnuts on others for their talent evaluations.

whottt
11-02-2007, 11:10 AM
:lmao

In Shane Heal's first game with the Spurs he scored 11 points on 3-6 shooting and dished out 2 assists to boot...in 17 minutes.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Shane Heal used to be known around the pacific ocean territories as "The Hammer"
Because he laid down the law. Shane Heal would have been a better acquisition than Udrih, even though he was like 36, slow, and didn't do anything.

duncan228
11-02-2007, 11:23 AM
And this thread was started why?
Haven't we kicked this around from every angle enough already?

Now SpursDynasty 21 will no doubt be here soon enough to doom and gloom about it all over again.

Can we please let it go?
When he plays well, or when he doesn't, can we put it in NBA Central unless it's a Spurs/Rockets game?

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Nine boards against the Jazz is nothing you can write off. They work the boards as hard as anyone in the league. I think he'll be able to at least rebound respectably at this level. Scoring? Well, as whottt is pointing out it may be a little early to proclaim anything, but I think he'll be alright there.

The bottom line will always come down to defense. If a big man can't play it he isn't going to see much PT from Pop. From what I've seen he brings good energy to it, but not a whole lot else at the moment. Foul trouble was a big problem for him in the preseason, and a big part of what kept him on the court last night was that the refs were calling the game pretty loosely (as they often do in Utah, it seems). How his defense pans out will be the determining factor as to how big a mistake the Spurs was.

It was a mistake to send him to a division rival for that little. If it turns out that he can defend well enough that he could have actually earned some playing time for the Spurs then it's a big mistake.

K-State Spur
11-02-2007, 11:31 AM

Horry? Scola would have hit clutch 3s and been our 2nd best post defender?

easjer
11-02-2007, 11:32 AM
We didn't have the space for him. Bottom line. Even if he was better than Elson/Oberto/Horry combined, there wasn't space available for him to play, because these players were under contract, Mahinmi and Splitter were draft picks and this was the last chance for him to come to the NBA.

Timing is as important to these things as everything else. I'm not thrilled he went to a divisional rival that needed help, but I think the Spurs were the people most aware of his game and how it likely translate and he wasn't important enough to sign over the people who were here and knew the system.

Let it go already. Bitching about it isn't going to reverse the decisions that have brought us where we are.

Mark in Austin
11-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't think there is one simple answer here. As best I can tell, the Spurs considered these facts, at least:

-The Spurs have two other PF prospects in Mahinmi and Splitter;
-Scola's salary would have put him in the same neighborhood as Horry and ahead of all other Spurs bigs not named Duncan;
-Spurs are right at the luxury tax threshold
-There were legit doubts as to Scola's ability to play and make a meaningful contribution on an NBA level; and
-The overlap of preferred court position between Scola and Duncan, regardless of what you label it.

The Spurs decided that it wasn't worth the $10 million gamble, plus whatever luxury tax penalties they would have to pay to bring him in.

I still think it was the wrong decision, but I think I understand why the decision was made.

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 11:49 AM

Trying to think of the last big name free agent to leave his current team for the Spurs......

Still thinking.

ducks
11-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Trying to think of the last big name free agent to leave his current team for the Spurs......

Still thinking.
sun fan can not think they have no brains

ducks
11-02-2007, 11:52 AM

it was against the jazz who the spurs almost sweeped in the playoffs :cooldevil

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Suns fan cannot think because they have no brains.

FIFY.

The irony.

ducks
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
FIFY.

The irony.
sun players can not think
they showed it in the playoffs their fans are the same way

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Still thinking.
Last one I can remember the Spurs even chasing was Jason Kidd. The guy he would have replaced just won a Finals MVP award. The lesson: God is on our side.

ducks
11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
signing grant hill is not exactly signing a superstar sun fan
he is a has been

players that play for the spurs are willing to take paycuts
just to play for that organization

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
signing grant hill is not exactly signing a superstar sun fan
he is a has been

players that play for the spurs are willing to take paycuts
just to play for that organization

I never he said it was.

But signing Steve Nash was. And Danny Manning. And Tom Chambers.

Still trying to think of a single big free-agent signing by the Spurs.

Have they EVER had one?

I think Oden is out of the question, yes?

ducks
11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I will give you nash

they resigned manu, duncan, david robinson and tp

I would think they would count
they did not lose those players to other teams

I think duncan is greater then any player the suns signed

I also know sun fans who would rather have tp then nash
tp would give suns a bigger window to win titles

ehz33satx
11-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Still thinking.

Michael Finley

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I will give you nash

Too bad Oden doesn't currently play for the Spurs. Otherwise they might have a great shot of having him.

:lol :lol

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Michael Finley

Are you serious?

ducks
11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
I do not want oden
he injury prone
one leg is also longer then the other
he will never ever play 82 games in one season

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I do not want oden
he injury prone
one leg is also longer then the other
he will never ever play 82 games in one season

Lucky for you then, huh?

Tell that to ShoogaBear.

ducks
11-02-2007, 12:14 PM
durant is the better player

ehz33satx
11-02-2007, 12:16 PM
What does signing free agents have to do with winning multiple championships? The Spurs get it done with the Big Three then sign complimentary role players.
Signing Grant Hill is not going to take you anywhere. Your team is stuck in Loserville. Suns fans are used to that already.

ehz33satx
11-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Are you serious?

As I recall, the Suns wanted him also. I would take Finley over Grant Hill anyday. I would take Finley over any players the Suns have. Finley is a winner. Suns players are whiners. Big Difference.

The Franchise
I don't understand the attacks on his defense at all. Granted he is no Timmy, but he is very active, physical, and when he does get beat you can expect a hard foul. Take into account that he is on a new team, learning a new system with new teammates, and i think he's doing fine. I keep hearing the Spurs didn't need him, but he is a more complete player than Horry, Bonner, or Elson. The Spurs let him go because they had a greater need at another position, but you would be a fool to think he wouldn't have made your team better. And as far as putting him on the floor with Timmy, I don't see where that would be a problem seeing as HE IS HAVING TO DO THE SAME THING WITH YAO! That argument is just retarded. If he were there and teams doubled down on Tim he could kick it to Scola for a 15 footer. When he is not in the game Scola could have been your low post threat. It could have been a win, win situation. Thats why Manu said he was sad not to get Scola. He knows what most of you don't and that's Scolas game. He could have been your Timmy lite, but he was traded, what's done is done, and i am sure glad that it was! :p:

ChumpDumper

Still thinking.Trying to think of the last time the Suns won an NBA championship....

Still thinking.

whottt
11-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think there is one simple answer here. As best I can tell, the Spurs considered these facts, at least:

-The Spurs have two other PF prospects in Mahinmi and Splitter;
-Scola's salary would have put him in the same neighborhood as Horry and ahead of all other Spurs bigs not named Duncan;
-Spurs are right at the luxury tax threshold
-There were legit doubts as to Scola's ability to play and make a meaningful contribution on an NBA level; and
-The overlap of preferred court position between Scola and Duncan, regardless of what you label it.

The Spurs decided that it wasn't worth the $10 million gamble, plus whatever luxury tax penalties they would have to pay to bring him in.

I still think it was the wrong decision, but I think I understand why the decision was made.

As best I can tell...

The Spurs had this guy in their system for 5 years. I don't think they made a mistake here...

Either they don't think he's going to be that great in the NBA, after having him under their microscope for 5 seasons....or else he was unsignable to them for reasons not yet revealed....or a combination of both.

This guy was the Spurs top prospect though, for 5 years, they watched him extensively....I don't think they underestimated his NBA impact...

And the fact that he was traded to the Rockets tells me...they estimate his impact to be...not much at all. And FWIW...I agree based on what I have seen of him...including this season.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
And as far as putting him on the floor with Timmy, I don't see where that would be a problem seeing as HE IS HAVING TO DO THE SAME THING WITH YAO!Except Adelman's offense puts Yao is a different spot than Duncan. Fully half his shots were from free throw line distance or beyond.

It seems like the player who put up twice as many shots would probably be considered the focus of the offense, not Yao.

Adelman's system is better for Scola, no doubt .

whottt
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Adelman's system is a better system for producing overinflated offensive statistics that are not indicative of actual talent or NBA playing ability, no doubt .

Fixed.

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Trying to think of the last time the Suns won an NBA championship....

Still thinking.

Suns have a much better chance of winning a championship than the Spurs have of landing Oden.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM

:pctossWe just gave a $40 million extension to a guy who was -14 in the second game of the season.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Suns have a much better chance of winning a championship than the Spurs have of landing Oden.But could you tell me the last time the Suns won an NBA championship, sunfan?

I'm still trying to recall.

ehz33satx
11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Suns have a much better chance of winning a championship than the Spurs have of landing Oden.

The Boston Celtics have a much better chance to win a championship than the Phoenix Suns.

The Phoenix Mercury have a better chance of winning a championship before the Suns ever do.

stretch
But could you tell me the last time the Suns won an NBA championship, sunfan?

I'm still trying to recall.
They won a "ratings championship."

Does that count?

O-Factor
I will give you nash

I also know sun fans who would rather have tp then nash
tp would give suns a bigger window to win titles

TP in the suns gimmick offense would be a stud, but Im sure Tony is more interested in winning titles so that will never happen

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 01:01 PM
They won a "ratings championship."

Does that count?

Douche bag.

Ive pointed out on dozens of occasions that the Spurs "boring" label or lack of ratings has nothing to do with market sizes.

You, and serveral other Texas morons, interpret that as all I care about is ratings.

ehz33satx
11-02-2007, 01:06 PM
You, and serveral other Texas morons, interpret that as all I care about is ratings.

I am sure you also care about winning championships but since that is not happening you will settle for ratings champions instead. You come in here crowing all the time about how people hate the Spurs and how they love the Suns. Suns are the people's choice. The Spurs are Larry O'Briens choice.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Douche bag.

Ive pointed out on dozens of occasions that the Spurs "boring" label or lack of ratings has nothing to do with market sizes.

You, and serveral other Texas morons, interpret that as all I care about is ratings.Well, you haven't told us the last time the Suns won an NBA championship, so what else can we conclude?

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Well, you haven't told us the last time the Suns won an NBA championship, so what else can we conclude?

Well for one: The Spurs have no chance of landing Greg Oden.

ehz33satx
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Well for one: The Spurs have no chance of landing Greg Oden.

What is the point you are trying to get across? I don't get it.

ChumpDumper
Well for one: The Spurs have no chance of landing Greg Oden.Why are you so hung up on the most obviously sarcastic joke ever made in the history of SpursTalk? Are you really that stupid?

So seriously, when was the last time the Suns won an NBA championship?

whottt
Congrats on being a high rated team...

Too bad Stern prefers low ratings and conspires against ya'll :tu

Going to console myself

http://i.pbase.com/u35/trrsranch/upload/22845793.2003SpursNBAChampsTrophyandRings.jpghttp://i.pbase.com/u35/trrsranch/upload/22845793.2003SpursNBAChampsTrophyandRings.jpg
http://i.pbase.com/u35/trrsranch/upload/22845793.2003SpursNBAChampsTrophyandRings.jpghttp://i.pbase.com/u35/trrsranch/upload/22845793.2003SpursNBAChampsTrophyandRings.jpg

Damn...it sucks being boring, and having Stern on your side.

nfg3
11-02-2007, 01:15 PM
I think Scola will be a good NBA player but shipping him to Houston was not catatrosphic by any means. Our needs were in other positions and at the time it didn't seem to fit with the Spurs plans. Did I want Scola to come and play for us? Absolutely but what is done is done. Nothing is going to change that fact. Questions about him will remain for many months and only until that time period has elapsed will we really be able to evalulate him. Two games does not a player make. If Bonner continues his contributions and Udoka is eased into the second unit and contributes the way I thin he can then in a couple of months this will be history. It really is a non issue since it can't be undone so lets move forward with what we've got.

SRJ
11-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Why did the Blazers draft another injury-prone big man?

Why are the Suns historically obsessed with playing fun ball?

ehz33satx
11-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Da Suns Fan, Do you even know who Larry O'Brien is?

tlongII
11-02-2007, 01:57 PM
The Spurs let Scola go because they're cheap. It really boils down to that.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Nah, they just wanted to keep Booner.

smeagol
11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Bonner's been ok.

K-State Spur
11-02-2007, 02:06 PM

Still thinking.

while you're at it, think of the last big name free agent to leave his current team for the Lakers, Mavs, Pistons, Heat, Rockets, Celtics, etc.

Other than Nash, who left their team for the Suns (and no, Grant Hill no longer qualifies as a big name free agent)?

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
while you're at it, think of the last big name free agent to leave his current team for the Lakers, Mavs, Pistons, Heat, Rockets, Celtics, etc.

Other than Nash, who left their team for the Suns (and no, Grant Hill no longer qualifies as a big name free agent)?

Hahahah.....

Im no expert on the history of every NBA franchise (thats why Im da_suns_fan and not da_everyNbaTeam_fan), but youre unaware of a big free agent signing for the Lakers?

Seriously?

I'll give you a hint...his name rhymes with Snaq O'Meal.

ducks
11-02-2007, 02:14 PM
shaq was traded to the lakers was he not?

SRJ
11-02-2007, 02:16 PM
No. Shaq was a free agent when he left Orlando.

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
shaq was traded to the lakers was he not?

He was not.

K-State Spur
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Hahahah.....

Im no expert on the history of every NBA franchise (thats why Im da_suns_fan and not da_everyNbaTeam_fan), but youre unaware of a big free agent signing for the Lakers?

Seriously?

I'll give you a hint...his name rhymes with Snaq O'Meal.

Yeah...that was OVER a DECADE ago. Allen Iverson was just starting his rookie year and Tim Duncan had not started his senior year Wake Forest.

(not to mention that it was before the league's new salary rules)

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Damn that was like 10 years ago. Now I feel all old and shit.

Ben Wallace and Rashard Lewis, while not exactly super star talents, received super star free agent contracts, IIRC.

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Damn that was like 10 years ago. Now I feel all old and shit.

Ben Wallace and Rashard Lewis, while not exactly super star talents, received super star free agent contracts, IIRC.

Detroit traded for both (Wallace was a throw-in as part of the Grant Hill sign-n-trade and Wallace was acquired mid-season via Atlanta).

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Detroit traded for both (Wallace was a throw-in as part of the Grant Hill sign-n-trade and Wallace was acquired mid-season via Atlanta).
Big Ben signed a big ass FA contract with the Bulls last year.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
What he said.

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah...that was OVER a DECADE ago. Allen Iverson was just starting his rookie year and Tim Duncan had not started his senior year Wake Forest.

(not to mention that it was before the league's new salary rules)

I see...so that doesn't count?

What does count? Nash was acquired under the previous CBA so he doesn't either. I guess the only teams ever to have acquired a big name free agent are the ones who did it during the past two years.

:lol

K-State Spur
11-02-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty sure he means Ben Wallace to Chicago and RASHARD Lewis to Orlando. (Although, technically Lewis was traded - sign and trade.)

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm pretty sure he means Ben Wallace to Detroit and RASHARD Lewis to Orlando. (Although, technically Lewis was traded - sign and trade.)

Youre correct on both counts. I misread that.

K-State Spur
11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I see...so that doesn't count?

What does count? Nash was acquired under the previous CBA so he doesn't either. I guess the only teams ever to have acquired a big name free agent are the ones who did it during the past two years.

:lol

It counts, it was just a long freaking time ago - and not overly relevant to the current situation in the NBA.

It's just stupid to criticize the Spurs for not grabbing top free agents when nobody else is doing it either. The biggest free agents who change teams are second tier guys who get overpaid by their new club.

Even Nash wasn't viewed in the same light as he is now when he jumped to Phoenix. Any Suns' fan who expected him to be THIS good is kidding themselves.

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 02:34 PM
It counts, it was just a long freaking time ago - and not overly relevant to the current situation in the NBA.

It's just stupid to criticize the Spurs for not grabbing top free agents when nobody else is doing it either. The biggest free agents who change teams are second tier guys who get overpaid by their new club.

Even Nash wasn't viewed in the same light as he is now when he jumped to Phoenix. Any Suns' fan who expected him to be THIS good is kidding themselves.

See thats where youre wrong. Big time.

Gilbert Arenas. Carlos Boozer. Rashard Lewis. Ben Wallace. There are usually big free agent signings every year.

K-State Spur
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
sorry, i was focusing on relevant teams

with the exception of Wallace, each of those guys went to a crappy team with loads of cap room.

the top teams rarely have the cap space lure anyone from their current situation.

wildbill2u
11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
That decision is seeming dumber and dumber by the minute to me. I just don't get it. It's not like the Spurs already have a decent power forward.
SSSHHH! The Scola trade was part of a secret deal with Commissioner Stern to help out a major TV markets like Houston to be more competitive.

The Commissioner reasoned with Spurs management that we were already a dynasty and the NBA needed some help with Houston, Dallas, Cleveland and Seattle.

The secret plan was also the reason we sent Barbosa to Phoenix. And the move of AJ to DAllas and several of our crack and inimitable coaching staff and front office staff (SEE Ferry, Dan, and Carlesmino, PJ) to crumbling franchises like Seattle and Cleveland are all part of the secret plan.

I will reveal the name of the plan--"Spurring the NBA to Greatness"--to you only upon your agreement to never mention it outside this Spurs site.