PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the 6th Men

raspsa
11-01-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm looking forward to the battle of the 6th men this season. Terry, Barbossa and Manu. Terry had a good start in game 1, hitting lots of 3 pointers. Barbossa will try and make up for last season's dismal playoff performance vx the Spurs. And Manu is playing incredibly well to start off the season.

Naturally, Manu is the best. He's the most consistent and versatile among the 3 and does it on both offense and defense. Fearless and lives for the big play that can decide the game (for better or for worse).. GO MANU!

timvp
11-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I still don't understand why Manu didn't win it last year and why more Spurs fans weren't mad when he didn't. He was eligible for the award and it went to Barbosa, who is about 20% of the player Manu is.

sa_kid20
11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
If Manu keeps playing like he is there is no way he doesn't win it this year if Pop keeps him on the bench the whole year

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2007, 10:22 PM
I still don't understand why Manu didn't win it last year and why more Spurs fans weren't mad when he didn't. He was eligible for the award and it went to Barbosa, who is about 20% of the player Manu is.

Manu may have been eligible by the rule ... I think he was 2 or 3 games above the eligibility rule?

But everyone knows that he is one of the top 3 players on the team. Typically ... a 6th man, is literlarly the 6th or 7th best player on a team. With Manu, it's almost like bringing in a ringer to win an award.

If he plays the entire year ... Vs. just over 50% ... as a 6th man this year, I suppose I'd give him the nod. But I still think it takes away from the idea of the award.

To me it's a little disingenuous.

some_user86
11-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Manu may have been eligible by the rule ... I think he was 2 or 3 games above the eligibility rule?

But everyone knows that he is one of the top 3 players on the team. Typically ... a 6th man, is literlarly the 6th or 7th best player on a team. With Manu, it's almost like bringing in a ringer to win an award.

If he plays the entire year ... Vs. just over 50% ... as a 6th man this year, I suppose I'd give him the nod. But I still think it takes away from the idea of the award.

The second and third Sixth Man Award was given to the 2nd or 3rd best player on his team... Kevin McHale.

ducks
11-01-2007, 10:26 PM
I agree with piston to me the award should be given to an actually 6 man
manu might play that role but he is not a 6 man really

baseline bum
11-01-2007, 10:34 PM

We're used to it after all the years Bruce has gotten snubbed.

T Park
11-01-2007, 10:36 PM
We're used to it after all the years Bruce has gotten snubbed

Yeah pretty much :lmao

xamila rey
11-01-2007, 10:43 PM

i wasnt upset because Manu said he didnt care.
Besides that, Kori explained that many people consider him a starter, no really a sub.

exstatic
11-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Regular season awards mean shit.

Sincerely,
Dirk and Steve

Trainwreck2100
11-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I was pretty comfortable with him not getting it last year, for what P<S said

~Sweetmelody~
11-01-2007, 11:23 PM
He won't get it. Avery will campaign for Terry, and since Dallas is not a boring team the attention will be for Terry.

Well, don’t I sound a bit cynical? LOL

some_user86
11-01-2007, 11:25 PM
He won't get it. Avery will campaign for Terry, and since Dallas is not a boring team the attention will be for Terry.

You're not cynical. That's the way it works with media-voted awards.

Deimosfobos
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM

I agree with that.

I fealt the same way last year, i don't think there is anyone on the nba who actually think Manu is a real sub.

I think manu doesn't really want it because he would feal like he is stealing the award.

At least thats how i see it.
:blah

meta2007
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
This season, Manu will be in mvp category! :toast

~Sweetmelody~
11-01-2007, 11:33 PM
You're not cynical. That's the way it works with media-voted awards.

I thought it was in bad taste for Avery to start “Terry should get the 6th man award campaign” on the very first Mavericks game. Who knows maybe it was to lift his players’ ego.

I also understand that many feel Manu is not sub, but the fan in me wants him to get some sort of recognition. :)

picnroll
11-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Has Pop every actively campaigned for one of hs players to get an award? I remember him making fun of Carlisle when Carlisle came up with his statistical proof that Artest was the best defender in the league.

jman3000
11-01-2007, 11:49 PM
barbosa averaged more points.... and i think in regards to 6th man of the year that's all the media looks at. i dont have the stats to prove it... but id say that usually the 6moty award goes to the leading scorer for reserves.

JamStone
11-01-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure, but didn't Manu start the year as a starter? Even if eligible, voters may have viewed him much more as a starter than 6th man.

At any rate, I think Bonzi might enter the picture for 6th man as well this season.

itzsoweezee
11-01-2007, 11:59 PM

because it's like winning the gold medals in the special olympics.

Slippy
11-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Manu and the Spurs have redefined the role of the 6th-man.

Death In June
11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Regular season awards mean shit.

Sincerely,
Dirk and Steve
Stop doing tired jim rome jokes that arent funny. Sincerely, your mom.

phxspurfan
11-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Manu has enough hardware. I'd rather see Bruce win DPOY than Manu win 6th man.

Rummpd
11-02-2007, 11:04 AM
There is no comparison - Manu is a winner here and internationally - to put Terry even in the same mention with him is sublime, and Barbosa was exposed in the playoffs.

Manu>>>> Barbosa>>>Terry in true value as a basketball player and winner!

SenorSpur
11-02-2007, 11:10 AM

Avery moving Terry to the bench is another example of him copying a strategy used by the Pop. Another recent strategy they've discussed is pacing themselves more over the balance of the season - just like the Spurs do.

Seems like everything the Mavs do is based upon something from the Spurs. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I agree that Ginobili isn't really a 6th man.

And he's also playing like an MVP right now.

Anyone still want to say that Tony Parker is MVP material?

velik_m
11-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Boki will win the 6th man of the year!

sa_butta
11-02-2007, 12:40 PM

Anyone still want to say that Tony Parker is MVP material?Finals MVP material is good enough.

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 12:44 PM

I agree that he "qualified" to win this award...and certainly, I wish he would've won (just like I hope he wins this year)...but could it be that people see him as a starter and part of the big 3 that he'll never win this award?

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 12:45 PM

exactly.

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Bruce not winning DPOY is what had me upset! :soapbox:

SpursDynasty
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Dallas is copying SA's formula: Using a starter as a sixth man.

I guess when you can't win a championship, you have to copy the real championship teams of the league.

TMTTRIO
11-02-2007, 10:05 PM
After watching the last few games it looks like we have a deep, deep bench this year and Bonner, Udoka, Barry, and Washington could bring a lot of the energy that we've always needed from Manu off the bench. Do you think maybe it's almost time for Manu to start again?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Dallas is copying SA's formula: Using a starter as a sixth man.

I guess when you can't win a championship, you have to copy the real championship teams of the league.
:rollin
Pure gold.

T Park
11-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Spurs Dynasty with a nice little jab there :lol

K-State Spur
11-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Call me an optimist (not that I actually care about this award much), but I actually think he's the front runner, even with the media.

I think he would have won it last year if he hadn't started as many games as he did. If he comes off the bench the entire season this year, I think he'll get it.[

J.T.
11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Bruce not winning DPOY is what had me upset! :soapbox:

Bruce has something greater than DPOY, I think. Everyone around the league respects his approach to playing defense. A few guys say he's dirty, but look at his critics... Ray Allen, Amare, Isaiah Thomas... I don't put much stock in anything those guys say. Bruce will go down as one of the greatest defensive NBA players ever, and the more rings he wins, the bigger his legacy becomes.

Russ
11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Never seen such depth as the Spurs have now -- they could have their own sixth man of the year battle.

milkyway21
11-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Anyone still want to say that Tony Parker is MVP material?

I agree, Manu isn't really a 6th-man. And he's NOT a point guard either. But he leads the Spurs in assists with 6.5 per game . He is 12th in the league in both assists per game and in assists per 48 minutes. All 11 players above him in assists per game are point guards.

Ginobili seems to have a "knack" finding Elson near the basket right now acc. to reports and if that's true that chemistry between them is scary for other teams as this season progresses.

Ginobili leads the Spurs in scoring with 23.0 points per game, 20th in the league in PPG right now.

and those above him in scoring per game are averaging more minutes than Manu.

I really like the idea of seeing Manu holding a 6th-man trophy in the future. I was silent but really disappointed (not really mad), he lost to Barbosa last yr. Well, he got his revenge, he played better than Barbosa when we faced the Suns, your team in the 2nd round. :lol

ManuAddicted
11-02-2007, 11:55 PM
At this time, and taking account of so many titles he won, considering him as a 6th man is an 'insult'... But, because Spurs' roster is very deep, 5 starters aren't enough ;)

Anyway, he deserves an MVP more than a 6th man award.

milkyway21
11-03-2007, 02:40 AM
whoa after last night's game Manu actually upgraded his assts to an ave. of 7.5 assts per game?

simply amazing!:tu

wildchild
11-03-2007, 10:40 AM

I couldn't agree more.

vz0731
11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Everyone knows that Manu is not the 6th real 6th man. That was the reason why he didnt win this title last year.

Also I think this title is not important for him.

nkdlunch
11-03-2007, 11:29 AM
6th man is a shitty award.

roycrikside
11-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Who cares? Manu himself had the best response to this bogus award, calling it akin to, "Being named the best left-handed guard" or something.

It doesn't matter who starts games, it matters who finishes them, so I don't really consider him eligible for the award as a true bench player. With Phoenix you can easily imagine Barbosa on the bench in a tight game with all the guys they got like Bell, Hill, Nash, Marion, Amare, Diaw...

Help A Brother Out
11-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Just win, bitches.

PlaneFast
11-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Paul Pierce is on the second team for the Celtics this year. I think he'll win the sixth man award. Looks like Doc Rivers is copying the Spurs strategy for using the second team.

PlaneFast

roycrikside
11-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Paul Pierce is on the second team for the Celtics this year. I think he'll win the sixth man award. Looks like Doc Rivers is copying the Spurs strategy for using the second team.

PlaneFast

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=271102002

They've played one game so far and Pierce started and played 39 minutes. I think you misunderstood the Rivers quote. From what I gather, I think Rivers plans to rest Pierce earlier than KG and Allen so that when the 2nd quarter begins and those guys are resting, Pierce can check back in and play with the 2nd unit.

The Bulls would do the same thing with Pippen or MJ where one would always be on the court at all times, unless it was a blowout.

raspsa
11-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Jason Terry just had an outstanding game to help beat the Rockets. Let's see how Manu responds next game.
Overall, I think the competition is probably a notch tougher this season and the Spurs will need to rely on their bench even more if they hope to win a 5th ring.

Holt's Cat
11-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Spurs take the ring and a Sun takes the 6th man. Works for me.

xamila rey
11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I think last year the only starter being the 6th man was Manu,
this season seems that some teams are gonna try the same formula.
So i think that we will need to consider the award in different way now.

Wow, Manu and Pop have changed the meaning of this award! :toast

Demo Dick Marcinko
11-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Spurs take the ring and a Sun takes the 6th man. Works for me.

Nah, we want it all.....Veni vidi vici! :king