PDA

View Full Version : Another NBA title will end up in Texas--Houston; According to dallas News

Roxsfan
11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/tcowlishaw/stories/110107dnspocowlishaw.373a5c4.html

Another NBA season is upon us and the big story is the return of the Boston Celtics.

Everywhere else. Not here.

The chance that the arrival of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen will get the Celtics into, oh, maybe the second round of those highly competitive Eastern Conference playoffs seems to have the media that covers the league, even the league itself to some degree, giddy.

A couple of words of caution: calm down.

The Celtics might win 45 games, but they aren't likely to play deep into May or get anywhere near June. Besides, it just doesn't matter.

The start of the season means it's time to figure out which team from Texas captures the title this year.

You know, in the last 14 seasons, the Celtics have actually won a playoff series two of those years. In that same span, Texas teams have captured six NBA titles. And, as Mavericks fans painfully know, change the end of Game 3 in '06 and the Lone Star State would own half the crowns over that period.

I see another title for Texas. But which team? There's so much to choose from.

Start with the Spurs. That's got to be a good place to start, since they have won four times in the last nine seasons. This is the league's model franchise, much like the Patriots are to the NFL, only without the hidden cameras.

The foundation for the Spurs' rise to greatness was luck. Considerable luck, if you think about it.

It takes luck to win a lottery as the Spurs did in 1987 to get David Robinson. Then it takes more luck (bad initially, then good) to lose Robinson for all but six games in 1996-97 and plunge from a 59-win team to a 20-win team to get back into the lottery and win it again to get Tim Duncan.

Since then, luck's had nothing to do with it. The Spurs have great scouting, a relentless coach and a winning nucleus.

I just don't think they win it all this year, because those 100-game-plus seasons that a championship requires exact a toll on the legs of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, maybe even Tony Parker.

They're going to deliver another high-quality if underappreciated season for their fans. But it ends in the second round.

As for the local club, coach Avery Johnson seems to be taking the right approach in easing off the gas (just a bit) and letting the players learn from their mistakes and lead from within.

At least that's what he says he will do.

And as I wrote last week, there's a lot to like about the core of this team. OK, so I said I hadn't seen a magazine that liked the Mavs' chances to win it all, and many of you were kind enough to point out that Sports Illustrated picked Dallas.

Thanks for your letters. Who reads that dinosaur, anyway?

The biggest concern still has to be the lack of a scoring presence down low, although the return of Juwan Howard helps a bit. And we'll see over time how much Dirk Nowitzki has improved in that area.

I think the Mavericks give fans their money's worth and get all the way to the ... Western Conference finals?

Yes. It's true. I see the Houston Rockets hoisting their third championship banner in June.

I realize the team has this one little flaw of NOT HAVING WON A PLAYOFF SERIES IN 10 YEARS.

However, twice in the last three years, it has led first-round series, only to lose seventh games to Dallas and Utah. Had they held on against the Jazz, the Rockets would have smoked Golden State with their inside power as Utah did. It just didn't happen.

That only gives the Rockets the same fuel to get through the 82-game season that drives the Mavericks. There is a real desire to prove critics wrong, to show that there is not some tangible flaw in the makeup of the team.
Sometimes these things just take time. Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, the best inside-outside combination of this generation, didn't win their first of three titles in Los Angeles until Year 4. Hint, hint: This is Year 4 for Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.
Yao's scoring rise has been steady. McGrady is a superior player at both ends of the floor. The team still has the defensive base that was instilled by Jeff Van Gundy, but now it has an outstanding if unloved offensive coach in Rick Adelman.

Seriously, what were the Trail Blazers doing in the 10 years before he got there and guided them to two NBA Finals? What were the Kings doing before he got there and turned them into the league's most entertaining team, a perennial 55-game winner that was a Vlade Divac tipped ball away from conquering the Lakers?

It will take time, but McGrady's offensive skills will be enhanced. There are better role players around the two stars than there have been. The bottom line: Three of the league's best five teams (the others are Phoenix and Chicago) play in Texas. Some people argue that nothing matters until the playoffs, but I think the Southwest Division race alone is going to be an incredible ride.

Any of these teams could win 60 games. But the one most likely to win 16 next spring looks like the one that hasn't quite made it to four in the last decade.

The Franchise
11-02-2007, 12:32 PM
To early to say championship, but if we stay healthy, when we gel it is going to be a bitch for other teams.

Roxsfan
11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
To early to say championship, but if we stay healthy, when we gel it is going to be a bitch for other teams.

I'm just posting it from a dallas newspaper, of course I like the positive talk, but your comments in red above kind of go without saying.

stretch
11-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Tim Cowlishaw always picks against the Mavericks.

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Tim Cowlishaw always picks against the Mavericks.
he's also almost always wrong about everything. i like this endorsement.

stretch
11-02-2007, 12:50 PM
:lol True.

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 12:55 PM
[url]
Start with the Spurs. That's got to be a good place to start, since they have won four times in the last nine seasons. This is the league's model franchise, much like the Patriots are to the NFL, only without the hidden cameras.

...and the crappy, classless coach...and the whiny players...

but other than that, they're practically the same. :rolleyes

The title is coming back to TX, but not to Houston.

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 12:59 PM
...and the crappy, classless coach...and the whiny players....
:lmao what a homer.

the Colts brought whining to a whole new level when they actually demanded that rules be changed due to how hard the Patriots owned them.

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 01:00 PM

the Colts brought whining to a whole new level when they actually demanded that rules be changed due to how hard the Patriots owned them.

demanded that the rules be changed?

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
um yeah. were you a Colts fan in 04?

lurker
11-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Almost as funny as Stephen A. Smith's prediction of the Nuggets winning it this season.

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
um yeah. were you a Colts fan in 04?

Yes, but I don't remember everything that happens each and every year...heck, I can barely remember my day yesterday. I'm always amazed by people who can pull stats out of their minds at a moment's notice.

So, refresh my memory...rule change?

TheZackAttack!
11-02-2007, 01:30 PM

No team in the league can demand the "rules to be changed". Fuckhead. The NFL has made TWO rule changes because of the pats. The pats ass raped the colts WRs every single play. Humping them all over the field like a bunch of homos. Cheating. Plain and simple. You'd know cheating if you ever played competitive football before, but I'm sure a twat like you was to busy playing volleyball or some shit.

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 01:31 PM
No team in the league can demand the "rules to be changed". Fuckhead. The NFL has made TWO rule changes because of the pats. The pats ass raped the colts WRs every single play. Humping them all over the field like a bunch of homos. Cheating. Plain and simple. You'd know cheating if you ever played competitive football before, but I'm sure a twat like you was to busy playing volleyball or some shit.
:lmao this guy's gotta be the biggest tool at ST. not even pussyface can acheive this level of douchebaggery.

TheZackAttack!
11-02-2007, 01:32 PM
:lmao this guy's gotta be the biggest tool at ST. not even pussyface can acheive this level of douchebaggery.

You lack of defense puts a smile on my face

stretch
11-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't believe they demanded anything. They just complained about the ridiculous amounts of contact that the refs allowed, and the league looked at it and saw how ridiculous it was, so they reduced the amount of contact allowed, so that guys like Ty Law can't push the rules to their limits like he did.

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 01:33 PM
You lack of defense puts a smile on my face
your lack of coherence put a smile on mine.

you don't need to mount a defense against a post that brings no insight whatsoever.

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't believe they demanded anything. They just complained about the ridiculous amounts of contact that the refs allowed, and the league looked at it and saw how ridiculous it was, so they reduced the amount of contact allowed, so that guys like Ty Law can't push the rules to their limits like he did.

Ah...yeah, I don't remember that...but seriously, my memory sucks.
Even so...I guess I don't see how that makes the Colts whiners though. :huh

TheZackAttack!
11-02-2007, 01:34 PM
a post that brings no insight whatsoever.

the perfect description for you and your posts

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Ah...yeah, I don't remember that...but seriously, my memory sucks.
Even so...I guess I don't see how that makes the Colts whiners though. :huh
i can understand why you wouldn't.

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
the perfect description for you and your posts
your lack of defense puts a smile on my face

SpursFanFirst
i can understand why you wouldn't.

Well, that's helpful. Thanks.

If you're not going to answer my question straight up, then I'm done with the conversation.

Either way, I don't like the Spurs being compared to the Patriots.

monosylab1k
at least we all figured out the best way to treat any thread that predicts a Rockets championship - derail it into NFL smack talk. it's pretty appropriate.

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Either way, I don't like the Spurs being compared to the Patriots.
of course you wouldn't.

SpursFanFirst
11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
oh brother.

Alright, Mono. Good day.

TheZackAttack!
11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
your lack of defense puts a smile on my face

weak, like your mothers effort to fellate me

monosylab1k
11-02-2007, 01:41 PM
weak, like your mothers effort to fellate me
:lmao that might be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. And not because you're a funny guy (you're not).