PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'Neal suspension reduced!

tlongII
12-22-2004, 12:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1951675

Looks like he'll be available for the Christmas game versus Detroit. It just makes me wonder if the fact that this game is nationally televised and Jermaine is Indiana's best player has anything to do with this? The NBA will contend that they are not behind the reduction in the suspension, but I wonder......?

Kona
12-22-2004, 12:44 PM
damn

Phenomanul
12-22-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't agree with the suspension reduction....

O'Neal cold-cocked a person, who wasn't even looking at him (that Piston's fan should not have been on the court to begin with... but that's no reason to get blindsighted).

If O'Neal had squared up to that fan... then in my mind it wouldn't have been as bad.

Notorious H.O.P.
12-22-2004, 01:06 PM
How in the hell did O'Neal score a reduction (granted the league may not feel obligated to allow him the reduction since it feels Kaplan doesn't have jurisdiction over this issue)? If he had been able to plant his foot when he threw his punch, he probably would have been the only one to send someone to the hospital. The guy was getting up from the floor when O'Neal belted him. A cheap shot anyway you look at it. I don't think the league wants to let him play but it may get influenced by the dark side when it considers the increased ratings boost the Christmas duel with the Pistons would get. This decision would make a perfect excuse to back off of their stance, especially when the other suspensions where left intact.

ducks
12-22-2004, 01:07 PM
O'Neal's suspension cut by 10 games; Artest's ban stays
By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
December 22, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jermaine O'Neal won a 10-game reduction Wednesday in his suspension for fighting with fans during the Nov. 19 Pacers-Pistons brawl, but an arbitrator upheld NBA commissioner David Stern's bans on Ron Artest and two other Indiana players.

Arbitrator Roger Kaplan's decision could make O'Neal eligible to return Saturday, when the Pacers host the Detroit Pistons in the teams' first matchup since one of the most violent melees in NBA history.

It was unclear whether the NBA would recognize Kaplan's decision. The league refused to participate in the arbitration hearing Kaplan conducted Dec. 9.

ADVERTISEMENT
The NBA had no immediate comment.

``We're extremely pleased that Jermaine will have the opportunity to play, although we respectfully disagree with the decision on the other three players,'' players' union director Billy Hunter said. ``We are also pleased that the arbitrator has affirmed the right of players to appeal disciplinary measures.''

In a 28-page decision, Kaplan upheld Artest's season-long suspension and the penalties given to Stephen Jackson (30 games) and Anthony Johnson (six games). O'Neal's ban was reduced from 25 games to 15.

The union had asked for substantial reductions in the penalties during a six-hour arbitration hearing at a Manhattan law office. The NBA declined to participate, saying Kaplan had no jurisdiction to arbitrate penalties for on-court behavior -- an area in which the league contends the commissioner has sole discretion.

Kaplan ruled that he had jurisdiction to hear the case, and that Stern had just cause to issue the suspensions he gave to Artest, Jackson and Johnson.

The matter could move to federal court if the league decides to challenge Kaplan's ruling -- or if the union feels it has to sue to have Kaplan's judgment enforced.

The NBA has already filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court challenging Kaplan's authority to hear the grievance, a complaint that remains pending before U.S. District Judge George B. Daniels.

Each of the players testified before Kaplan during the hearing, and union attorneys submitted three lines of argument on the issue of jurisdiction.

The union cited a 1995 modification to the collective bargaining agreement allowing for appeals in cases where the financial penalty to the disciplined played exceeds $25,000. The union also argued the definitions of what constitutes ``reasonable'' punishment and ``on-court behavior.''

The arbitrator also reviewed videotape of the entire 12-minute brawl, in which Artest sprinted into the stands and confronted a fan he believed had thrown a drink at him. Jackson also went into the stands and exchanged punches with fans, while O'Neal and Johnson punched fans who came onto the court.

Five Pacers players and seven fans face charges.

exstatic
12-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Merry fucking Christmas, fool. :cuss

Jimcs50
12-22-2004, 01:24 PM
The NBA once again prostitutes itself to the mighty dollar. Since Detroit is struggling, they want to be sure to have a quality team in the post season to vie for the ECC. ONeal IMO committed a more heinous act than Kermit Washington by punching out that fan with premeditation. Had that fan suffered a fractured jaw and zygoma, he would hae had the same life threatening injury that Rudy did. This is bullshit.

exstatic
12-22-2004, 01:29 PM
In fairness to Stern and the NBA, it looks like they're still fighting this. It was an arbitor's ruling.

FromWayDowntown
12-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Man, you guys are misunderstanding what happened.

David Stern has the ultimate say about the length of suspensions issued to players for on-court conduct. The NBA recognizes this -- that's why it didn't participate in the arbitration, and that's why it's not clear if the league will recognize the arbitrator's decision.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement (which binds the league and the players) doesn't allow arbitration. The players association realized that there was no way to get Stern to change his mind, so it has engaged in this charade of arbitration as a p.r. stunt; I'd assume they believe that it will put some sort of pressure on Stern to abide by the arbitrator's decision.

But, by contract, the arbitrator's decision, at this point at least, is pretty much only a suggestion. Billy Hunter is suggesting that it's more than that, but legally it's completely meaningless.

If Stern doesn't want to abide by the arbitrator's decision, he doesn't have to, and O'Neal will have to go to Court to get today's decision enforced.

But since O'Neal agreed to the contract that gave Stern the final say on matters of discipline, he can't very well contest that power.

GrandeDavid
12-22-2004, 01:33 PM
O'Neal is a f-ing punk and a pvssy for sucker punching that fan who was like two feet shorter than him. Because of that sucker punch on INTERnational television, not just national, I' ll forever think of O'Neal as a bitch. What a jerk and if he's getting his suspenion reduced, I'd better soon learn of all charges being dropped against fans.

samikeyp
12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
according to the Creature from the Black Lagoon AKA Greg Simmons last night on KSAT...the NBA has lawyers in place to take any reduction decision to court.

T Park
12-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Thats right Mikey, they said they will file a motion Christmas EVE, to fight the ruling, and will not let it happen.

ducks
12-22-2004, 02:13 PM
I just hope this does not cause a lockout season next year

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Man, if David Stern upholds his own decision on this and keeps the suspension in place - he might just overtake Tagliabue as the best pro sports commish in the U.S.

tlongII
12-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I think he'll play and I think the league is behind it.

TheWriter
12-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Yeah, they're so behind it they're going to take it to court. Smart there tlong... has your team been sending out their christmas hash early?

Sec24Row7
12-22-2004, 05:44 PM
He's still munching on the Thanksgiving special Shroom stuffing.

tlongII
12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah, they're so behind it they're going to take it to court. Smart there tlong... has your team been sending out their christmas hash early?

Grandstanding by the NBA. Let's see what happens, shall we?

FromWayDowntown
12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
tlong, I always find your sincere brand of cynicism to be so refreshing.

T Park
12-22-2004, 06:40 PM
he might just overtake Tagliabue as the best pro sports commish in the U.S.

Not IMO.

When David Stern takes his head out of the sand on the pathetic refereeing.

THEN, he will past tagliubue.

ducks
12-22-2004, 06:59 PM
this title is very misleading

pooh
12-23-2004, 03:59 AM
I would LOVE to see JO play on Saturday, he's served his time in my opinion...

samikeyp
12-23-2004, 11:52 AM
his time was 25 games...he has not sat out 25 games, therefore his time has not been served.

Jimcs50
12-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I would LOVE to see JO play on Saturday, he's served his time in my opinion...

He needs to be put in prison and serve real time IMO.

IcemanCometh
12-23-2004, 02:05 PM
sounds about right, Oneal didn't go into the stands swining away like the other 2. It wasn't until the fighting came onto the floor that he went crazy.

Kona
12-23-2004, 02:27 PM
what is the date of o'neal's original return?

tlongII
12-23-2004, 04:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1952624

The ruling was upheld! I told you guys!

pooh
12-23-2004, 04:36 PM
"We're delighted," union attorney Jeffrey Kessler said. He called the ruling "a great Christmas present for Jermaine O'Neal and all Pacers fans. It's the fair and right thing to do."

EXACTLY! And what a glorious Christmas present. If only we had Jax and Ronnie back as well it would be wonderful, but one is good enough for right now.