batboy
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3091416

da_suns_fan__
11-02-2007, 02:53 PM
That sucks.

fyatuk
11-02-2007, 03:18 PM
unfortunately, it was rather obvious what the end result would be.

angel_luv
11-02-2007, 03:20 PM
You know who the move is really bad for is all the people who have jobs in the Seattle Arena.

I wouldn't have thought of that a few years ago but that is a lot of people and a lot of jobs.

duncan228
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80754

50 cent
11-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I say good for the Sonics. Fuck the city of Seattle. Oklahoma City has a cool downtown area and will probably support them well.

MoSpur
11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't know what would happen if this happened with the Spurs.

easjer
11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
While I dislike franchises/owners holding relocation over the heads of fans and cities . . . this is an ongoing dispute between multiple owners and the city. There does not seem to be appropriate local support to get them, and there are much more attractive offers out there from OKC and Kansas City. OKC clearly demonstrated that they want and are able to support a team (and I still don't think the Hornets should have been moved back to NO, but that's another discussion).

I think Seattle has had plenty of opportunities to try and work out a decent compromise and situation, and for an owner who has really wanted to move his team, he made a real effort to reach compromise with the city. So, get them out. Though, I'll be curious to see if the owner's approve (I bet they will) and also curious to see how that reshapes the Western Conf. divisions.

Kori Ellis
11-02-2007, 04:50 PM
While I dislike franchises/owners holding relocation over the heads of fans and cities . . . this is an ongoing dispute between multiple owners and the city. There does not seem to be appropriate local support to get them, and there are much more attractive offers out there from OKC and Kansas City. OKC clearly demonstrated that they want and are able to support a team (and I still don't think the Hornets should have been moved back to NO, but that's another discussion).

I think Seattle has had plenty of opportunities to try and work out a decent compromise and situation, and for an owner who has really wanted to move his team, he made a real effort to reach compromise with the city. So, get them out. Though, I'll be curious to see if the owner's approve (I bet they will) and also curious to see how that reshapes the Western Conf. divisions.

What are you talking about? He just bought the team last year and since that time has made no effort to compromise or work out a deal with the city at all. He had no intention of keeping it there since he bought it.

easjer
11-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Was it really just last year? I thought it was two years ago.

The article stated that he pushed for a new arena in a suburb area, which received no support in state legislation or support with the city. He also attempted arbitration, and was blocked on arbitration. That's what I am talking about.

Kori Ellis
11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
The article stated that he pushed for a new arena in a suburb area, which received no support in state legislation or support with the city. He also attempted arbitration, and was blocked on arbitration. That's what I am talking about.

Well that's not very true at all. In fact the city is sueing him because of his lack of effort.

CubanMustGo
11-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Everyone who thinks this is funny just think about what would happen if some rich SOB bought out the Spurs and moved them just because he could. Ha, ha.

TampaDude
11-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't know what would happen if this happened with the Spurs.

Not.

Gonna.

Happen.

tlongII
11-02-2007, 05:40 PM
The whole thing going on in Seattle is bullshit. I think much of the blame can be placed on Howard Schultz for selling the franchise to out-of-towners. I think what they are doing to Sonics fans is a disgrace. An Indian reservation up there has even offered to build an arena for the new owners for free and they won't go for it. The entire situation really saddens me. The Sonics are one of our two biggest rivals and to think they will no longer exist is very disheartening.

remingtonbo2001
11-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I think this entire arena situation is bogus. I've been fortunate to have caught a Spurs/Sonics game when I lived there. To me, Key Arena is just fine. A little bit smaller than the SBC center. A bit cozy. It really feels like your sitting is a miniture collesium. They wanted to move the new Arena to town called Redmon, which is about the size of San Marcos. It would feel weird if the Spurs played in San Marcos, or even New Branfuels. I would like to see OK get a team, but not this way.

Keep the Sonics in Seattle. Those people are already depressed enough as it is.

T Park
11-02-2007, 11:04 PM
I think this entire arena situation is bogus. I've been fortunate to have caught a Spurs/Sonics game when I lived there. To me, Key Arena is just fine. A little bit smaller than the SBC center. A bit cozy. It really feels like your sitting is a miniture collesium. They wanted to move the new Arena to town called Redmon, which is about the size of San Marcos. It would feel weird if the Spurs played in San Marcos, or even New Branfuels. I would like to see OK get a team, but not this way.

Keep the Sonics in Seattle. Those people are already depressed enough as it is.

Move em to St Louis.

The SuperSonics name would still work!!!!! :)

remingtonbo2001
11-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Personally, if any team should be moved, it should be the Clippers. No city should have 2 professional teams of the same sport. It's just not good. That's how gangs get started. :lol

mookie2001
11-02-2007, 11:18 PM
This is bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a joke! seattle should resist like no other

do you think this guy moving the team is prowar or for peace in iraq?

also ok city is the lamest place in America, it makes north richland hills look like bloomington

wildbill2u
11-02-2007, 11:47 PM
They were discussing this on ESPN tonight and said that the owner actually had until March 31 to declare his intent to move. If true, the early announcement is either (a) stupid or (b) a calculated move to depress the attendance leading to a vote by the league to move the team for non-support.

K-State Spur
11-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Well that's not very true at all. In fact the city is sueing him because of his lack of effort.

Most of the Seattle folks I know don't think there was a point in even putting forth the effort. They're up to their eyeballs in costs having just built Safeco and Qwest. In fact, Seattle is still paying off the Kingdome - that's right, the same Kingdome that was leveled a decade ago.

As it is, I'd like to see OKC get a full-time team. If it comes at the expense of Seattle, so be it.

spurscenter
11-03-2007, 01:07 AM
im surprised Pittsburgh has no team.

great city

spurscenter
11-03-2007, 01:09 AM
ALREADY POSTED

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80754

Darkwaters
11-03-2007, 01:18 AM
also ok city is the lamest place in America, it makes north richland hills look like bloomington

Having lived in Oklahoma City the last couple years I have to agree with that statement. But they can definitely support a team. If Milwaukee and Toronto can get teams then Oklahoma City can. And if the league is intent on keeping the Hornets in the city that once was New Orleans then I see no reason why OKC can't have one. The fact is that in the two years the Hornets were in Oklahoma they ranked in the middle of the pack as far as attendance goes with around 20 sellouts a year. And that is averaging all Hornets games in (even the 6 games a year in New Orleans where they were handing out free tickets on the street and still couldn't fill all the seats).

OKC is pretty lame for sure. But the people will fill the seats. What more do you want them to do?

exstatic
11-03-2007, 01:21 AM
im surprised Pittsburgh has no team.

great city
Actually, I'm surprised they still have the 3 teams that they do. Pittsburgh has about half the population it did maybe 40-45 years ago. It rusted with the rest of the rust belt.

I'd be willing to bet that they are the smallest MSMA that has teams in 3 major sports.

mookie2001
11-03-2007, 02:21 AM
what would yall do if holt moved the spurs to norman oklahoma?

vicphoenix
11-03-2007, 05:41 AM
I don't get why Stern hasn't bothered to step in and get Bennett to negotiate in good faith with the city of Seattle. People don't realize how large a market Seattle is. Over 3.5 million people live in the Seattle area. Now Stern is going to allow the team to move to Oklahoma City which has a population of 1 million. Does he not remember his previous franchise relocation error. Remember when he allowed Heisley to move the Grizzlies from Vancouver to Memphis? Despite the fact that Vancouver has over twice the population of Memphis. Now the Grizzlies are struggling at the gate in Memphis while Vancouver's economy is booming.

David@SLCC
11-03-2007, 06:11 AM
This officially means that I will have to rethink my list of favorite NBA cities (it used to be: 1- Seattle, 2- Vancouver). Sad.